PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Technical Problems

Judge
27-08-2014, 18:22
The site is having some temporary problems, for now many members can't log on
Hopefully this will be solved as soon as possible.
Thanks for understanding.

Benedikt
30-08-2014, 05:02

Saturday 5 in the morning ( I am an early riser,) and I can log on!!! and it is back again!!!

robertmf
30-08-2014, 05:17

Penka blames FatAndy

:7534:

Benedikt
30-08-2014, 05:25
Penka blames FatAndy

when did the site come online?
I logged in yesterday (Friday) early morning, no go.
today,Saturday, I looked and saw several -replies- from -Natlee- dated Friday. Was the site online already yesterday? or what has Natlee that we don't have?:12115:?:12115:?

Jas
30-08-2014, 08:08
Just pathetic really.

Benedikt
30-08-2014, 08:14
Just pathetic really.

technical problems do happen, we all bore with it. it is over now and we are all happy and posting.
for you for sure the glass is always half empty, for me it is always half full!
come on cheer up, the weekend is here, go out and smell the flowers before winter comes!

penka
30-08-2014, 10:28
Penka blames FatAndy

I knew it was you behind all that, old stalker!!!

natlee
30-08-2014, 10:36
or what has Natlee that we don't have?:12115:?:12115:? :shhhhhh:

abhilife2001
30-08-2014, 11:27
Glad that the site is up.. :)

Uncle Wally
30-08-2014, 12:05
or what has Natlee that we don't have?:12115:?:12115:?

Cl**** Kindness, Beauty, Elegance, Intelligence, Funny, Witty, and just down right SEXY!

FatAndy
30-08-2014, 12:19
It's a good oppo now to see who of members didn't drink hard yesterday evening ;)
Hello all, comrades :D

FatAndy
30-08-2014, 12:21
I knew it was you behind all that, old stalker!!!
Typical CIA provocation, poorly planned and performed. :evilgrin:

Uncle Wally
30-08-2014, 12:38
It's a good oppo now to see who of members didn't drink hard yesterday evening ;)

Speak for yourself, I got wrecked

:5387:

FatAndy
30-08-2014, 12:44
Speak for yourself, I got wrecked
:5387:
You must know the recipe.Two shots of cold vodka with hot and spicy zakuska. :)

Uncle Wally
30-08-2014, 12:53
You must know the recipe.Two shots of cold vodka with hot and spicy zakuska. :)

Yeah but that's for a cold. I still have one more day before I have any meetings, so it's one more bottle, a big one! Just ten minutes before one, time to take the bottle out of the freezer!

FatAndy
30-08-2014, 12:58
Carefully, comrade. Alcoholism doesn't sleep. :)

annasophia
30-08-2014, 14:54
So glad to see you all back, my friends. I missed you. :)

The other site in the meantime has labeled us 'Russian trolls'.

I am not a troll. I am not Russian. But I have missed everyone here mightily, where we can all have fine discussions of the world around us, calling the shots where ever we see them, and sending political correctness to the fk*#uc you bin.

Expat.ru, you were missed.

(Posts are still quite slow?)

ezik
30-08-2014, 19:49
Glad we're back on.

Surely, the site is still slow, which we will solve by archiving old posts with very few views and no replies. Being down meant that we had to postpone some improvement actions planned for this weekend. We'll get on with these ASAP.

Sharp observers will notice that while Expat.ru was down, our server on its IP address was still more or less accessible. The downtime was therefore largely due to some issues between the management and ownership of this site. These issues are being resolved, and the site being available again is a good sign.

I want to thank everyone for their patience and apologize for any inconvenience. Our last big outage was in 2007, and the loyalty of our members helped restore the site and even improve it. We again faced a small crisis and we will use it to improve the site and the forum.

Not sure why we were called Russian trolls somewhere, and I frankly don't care. Expat.ru is here to stay.

FatAndy
30-08-2014, 19:51
Hi Anechka-Sophochka, how is the weather there?

:suspect:
Where and when we've peed into their borsch? :jawdrop:

(Posts are still quite slow?)
Veeeeryyyyy sloooowwww.... Theeeee siiiiiteeee seeeeeems waaaaas moooved toooo Fiiiiinlaaaand ooooor Eeeeestoooooniaaaa....

Judge
30-08-2014, 20:37
Likewise,

That makes a change, they must be getting kinder with age....Usually it's 'rabid russian nationalist' or 'delusional Putin apologists'

I am not a troll. I am not Russian. But I have missed everyone here mightily, where we can all have fine discussions of the world around us, calling the shots where ever we see them, and sending political correctness to the fk*#uc you bin.
Exactly this, we don't run members off the site who hold different opinions...Well, as long as you toe the Putin line, ooops sorry I meant 'party' you're OK!!!!

Benedikt
30-08-2014, 22:09

in the morning he was fit and running ( log in, post and reply was fast) now i n the evening he seems to be very tired (login just to post THIS took about 3 minutes,) and then there is still the time for -submit reply-, also extremely slow. can't be my computer or provider, because e mail and all my newspapers open very fast, as usual.

rubyrussia
31-08-2014, 00:18
The site being slow does not account for the outage that you experienced. That can only be described by a noob or someone learning the ropes. By deleting DNS records, you leave a site that can take days to become accessible again as the DNS takes time to re-propagate. This does not contribute to server to client lag.

Vbulletin only works on MySQL which isn't known for being the most robust, but hey, it's free, right? I'm not sure what improvements have been made to Vbulletin, maybe they've done some more agile programming and you don't have really heavy full table scans, etc. Maybe it's worth looking into the documentation and seeing if there have been improvements between newer versions of vbulletin and the SQL database.

robertmf
31-08-2014, 01:01
Vbulletin only works on MySQL which isn't known for being the most robust, but hey, it's free, right?

For the purposes of a basic text bulletin board, mySQL is more than adequate/robust.

other comment (http://www.expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?p=1343548#post1343548)

:emote_popcorn:

Benedikt
31-08-2014, 05:45
Exactly this, we don't run members off the site who hold different opinions...Well, as long as you toe the Putin line, ooops sorry I meant 'party' you're OK!!!![/QUOTE]

that is why I stayed here and not there. and for a few other reasons as well. that had to do where I come from, who was a past UN GenSec, an Aquarelle painter and a provincial Governor where I was born.
and I never made a secret that i think at the moment there is no one better then VV,for Russia. the opposition is for the birds, they are all split up and want to cook their own soup, does not go that way. I also make no secrete that I like it here, I have a good job / family / home. and for me the glass is half full and not half empty.

JanC
31-08-2014, 13:11
By deleting DNS records, you leave a site that can take days to become accessible again as the DNS takes time to re-propagate.

Technically I don't think the records were deleted, instead no DNS servers were linked to the domain name at the registrar level. The records themselves probably stayed on the name servers, but the rest of the internet no longer knew on which ones to look.

I've also got some domain names on nic.ru and I don't think this could happen accidentally. Must've been intentional. Once fixed though, the site would become available again after a few hours to the entire world.

robertmf
31-08-2014, 16:22
Technically I don't think the records were deleted, instead no DNS servers were linked to the domain name at the registrar level. The records themselves probably stayed on the name servers, but the rest of the internet no longer knew on which ones to look.

I've also got some domain names on nic.ru and I don't think this could happen accidentally. Must've been intentional. Once fixed though, the site would become available again after a few hours to the entire world.

expat.ru is using DNS registrar RU-CENTER-RU which seems to have dropped the ball for a couple of days. I don't know any other websites using that registrar so don't know if they went opague, too.

I will say it wasn't intentional - else you need a redtape conspiracy theory :10168:

:Loco: Does anyone else think it is hilarious that the domain "expat.ru" is owned by CAPITAL PLUS :question:

JanC
31-08-2014, 16:58
We use the same registrar for our Russian site - so I'm familiar with the control panels of RU Center and I don't see how you could accidentally "lose" the DNS like it happened here. Maybe if you don't pay and let the DNS delegation expire, haven't tried that yet :)

robertmf
31-08-2014, 18:41
We use the same registrar for our Russian site - so I'm familiar with the control panels of RU Center and I don't see how you could accidentally "lose" the DNS like it happened here. Maybe if you don't pay and let the DNS delegation expire, haven't tried that yet :)

Domain expat.ru is paid up until next July. The only other thing I can think of is the expat.ru bookkeeper didn't pay the webhost in McLean, VA. Whoever that is is really giving poor service. Too sluggish, even for me right here on the East coast. I made my suggestion already to switch to linksky.com

Uncle Wally
31-08-2014, 22:18
Carefully, comrade. Alcoholism doesn't sleep. :)

Too late, brother, it's been at least two months now that 500 grams have found their way through me. You know after some time you don't even get the headache, just wake up drunk waiting for the next drink.

Alabama song (Whisky Bar)-The Doors-Lyrics - YouTube

Uncle Wally
31-08-2014, 22:26
It's better to burn out and not to rust,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeH8s_RAuTI

Fantastika
01-09-2014, 07:16
Domain expat.ru is paid up until next July. The only other thing I can think of is the expat.ru bookkeeper didn't pay the webhost in McLean, VA. Whoever that is is really giving poor service. Too sluggish, even for me right here on the East coast. I made my suggestion already to switch to linksky.com

Mclean is where the CIA, whoops I mean "Site R" is located. They are not satisfied with Russian-Ladd's level of forum agitation, so they turned off the server... :)

I am happy with hostgator.com and bluehost.com to host my websites...

It could be anything, besides a slow server. An update to PHP, and update to MYSQL, makes it stodgy or incompatible with the latest version the Forum software, etc...

natlee
01-09-2014, 19:33
What ever happened to "Unread posts" (is that what it was called?) link? :mad:

ezik
01-09-2014, 19:36
Natlee, this feature has been temporarily switched off.
The way that vBulletin was indexing posts was technically very ineffective and slowing down the site.
I just did some cleaning up and the New Post feature will soon be available again.
At least it seems people are able to post again, so that is a big win, I think.

natlee
01-09-2014, 19:43
Understood. Well, it's become quite difficult to see what's new but hey, patience is a virtue ;)

ezik
01-09-2014, 19:51
The removal from DNS for a few days was intentional (but not my intention, trust me). It coincided with bad performance, but A and B are not related.

Conspiracy theories not needed though.

I hope, though, that both will provide the opportunity to finally really improve some things.

expat.ru is using DNS registrar RU-CENTER-RU which seems to have dropped the ball for a couple of days. I don't know any other websites using that registrar so don't know if they went opague, too.

I will say it wasn't intentional - else you need a redtape conspiracy theory :10168:

:Loco: Does anyone else think it is hilarious that the domain "expat.ru" is owned by CAPITAL PLUS :question:

ezik
01-09-2014, 19:52
Certainly, don't get me started...

Understood. Well, it's become quite difficult to see what's new but hey, patience is a virtue ;)

Hans.KK
01-09-2014, 22:54
What ever happened to "Unread posts" (is that what it was called?) link? :mad:You may use this http://www.expat.ru/forum/search.php?do=getnew do the same stuff for you, you may even bookmark this link and off you go from there.

kapione
02-09-2014, 10:12
although I am not on expat.ru much ... I am happy it is back online
I am expat now nearly 11 years ...the older members remember the database was hacked and we needed to restart in 2005

VicY
03-09-2014, 18:13
Exactly this, we don't run members off the site who hold different opinions...Well, as long as you toe the Putin line, ooops sorry I meant 'party' you're OK!!!!

that is why I stayed here and not there. and for a few other reasons as well. that had to do where I come from, who was a past UN GenSec, an Aquarelle painter and a provincial Governor where I was born.
and I never made a secret that i think at the moment there is no one better then VV,for Russia. the opposition is for the birds, they are all split up and want to cook their own soup, does not go that way. I also make no secrete that I like it here, I have a good job / family / home. and for me the glass is half full and not half empty.

Benedikt, you are our man!! :10518:

natlee
03-09-2014, 22:56
You may use this http://www.expat.ru/forum/search.php?do=getnew do the same stuff for you, you may even bookmark this link and off you go from there. :inlove:

MashaSashina
05-09-2014, 11:56
You may use this http://www.expat.ru/forum/search.php?do=getnew do the same stuff for you, you may even bookmark this link and off you go from there.
This one works differently now, it only shows theads that were updated since your last visit. It was better when I could go back to what wasn't updated, but still contained unread messages.

Hans.KK
05-09-2014, 12:36
This one works differently now, it only shows theads that were updated since your last visit. It was better when I could go back to what wasn't updated, but still contained unread messages.Try (almost top right corner) click on "Quick Links", choose "Today's Posts", maybe it will be a better option for you?

MashaSashina
05-09-2014, 15:51
Try (almost top right corner) click on "Quick Links", choose "Today's Posts", maybe it will be a better option for you?
thank you! there is something in it. ))

Benedikt
05-09-2014, 15:57
Try (almost top right corner) click on "Quick Links", choose "Today's Posts", maybe it will be a better option for you?

suppose one is never to old and it is never to late, to learn. tx for the tip....

abhilife2001
09-09-2014, 12:15
Earlier I was able to see a list of new posts / unread posts on the top right portion ( after my login name and last visit details).. I could click on that and view all unread / new posts.

That notification is absent now for some reason ..

Any clue ?

Hans.KK
09-09-2014, 13:24
Earlier I was able to see a list of new posts / unread posts on the top right portion ( after my login name and last visit details).. I could click on that and view all unread / new posts.

That notification is absent now for some reason ..Read post 33 in this thread.

Any clue ?What to do then? Read post 37 and/or 42 in this thread.

ezik
09-09-2014, 20:41
I'll put the feature back on ASAP. Point is that I had to shut it off to rule out some factors in the sluggish performance of the site.

handsome
30-09-2014, 11:37
Hi Boss, I have a question I need to advertise on your website front page.. .what are the charges?

rusmeister
01-10-2014, 10:18
I'll put the feature back on ASAP. Point is that I had to shut it off to rule out some factors in the sluggish performance of the site.

Any progress, Ezik? Or is the fog too thick?

Judge
01-10-2014, 10:37
Hi Boss, I have a question I need to advertise on your website front page.. .what are the charges?
Advertising inquires - sales@expat.ru

Judge
13-10-2014, 22:30
Any progress, Ezik? Or is the fog too thick?

weather forecast for this week, fog and more fog...

ezik
16-10-2014, 15:34
Dear all,
The Unread Posts feature is back on. :)

ezik
16-10-2014, 15:34
Dear all,

rusmeister
16-10-2014, 16:11
Yay! I get to thank you twice!!

Benedikt
17-10-2014, 06:17
Dear all,

but it takes forever (though not a day:eek:) to load and post and submit again.:mooooh:

Judge
17-10-2014, 09:58
Yep, the site is a bit sluggish again, not as bad as last time, but still..

ezik
17-10-2014, 12:16
Changed the settings of the feature and will check over the next hours if things get better. Otherwise, I will turn it off again.

Judge
17-10-2014, 12:18
For now(touch wood) it's faster than it was eariler today..

Judge
17-10-2014, 12:24
Opening threads is not bad, but when posting takes time..

ezik
17-10-2014, 22:06
Well, the unread posts thing does give a performance hit.
Experimenting with some settings over the weekend. Expect the function to be available and unavailable at times...

ezik
17-10-2014, 22:07
Experimenting with some settings over the weekend. Expect the function to be available and unavailable at times...

robertmf
18-10-2014, 16:03

:7525::7525: There is no particular reason for the unread posts function to slow down the SQL query any more or less than any other SQL query.

If you want to experiment, I suggest you backup a copy of the mySQL tables and then import/convert that into PHPBB3 to see what happens.

robertmf
18-10-2014, 16:05

:7525::7525: There is no particular reason for the unread posts function to slow down the SQL query any more or less than any other SQL query.

When posting, my browser tells me [waiting for expat.ru] which would seem to indicate either the webhost httpd server or mySQL server is "sluggish" for some unknown reason.

If you want to experiment, I suggest you backup a copy of the mySQL tables and then import/convert that into PHPBB3 to see what happens.

ezik
18-10-2014, 23:07
Considering PHPBB3 as a platform to switch to. And we may need to switch ISP, too.

We're running into trouble because our database is all the time at some magical 2GB threshold.

It's very clear that we need to switch platforms. Vbulletin is not necessarily the best one anymore.

ezik
18-10-2014, 23:08
Considering PHPBB3 as a platform to switch to. And we may need to switch ISP, too.

We're running into trouble because our database is all the time at some magical 2GB threshold.

It's very clear that we need to switch platforms. Vbulletin is not necessarily the best one anymore.

TolkoRaz
19-10-2014, 00:18
It might help if you do not duplicate posts! ;)

robertmf
19-10-2014, 06:48

The phpbb3 install is automatic and simple.
The vBulletin mySQL tables conversion & import into phpBB3 is also well documented.

Let me know if you need any free advice :trampoline:

I only use the phpBB3 forum with linux LAMP (linux-apache2-mySQL-php5) server. Any updates I do on my local box where I have a LAMP setup, and then upload the modified files onto the linksky.com webhost LAMP.

FatAndy
19-10-2014, 15:45
Let me know if you need any free advice :trampoline:
What you said, you worked for CIA and the last job was in NSA? :book:

Hans.KK
19-10-2014, 16:16
Considering PHPBB3 as a platform to switch to. And we may need to switch ISP, too.Please do only one of these at the time and wait before doing the next one, please.

And remember to test, test, test, before releasing any new version to the public.

ezik
23-10-2014, 23:39
Obviously, a switch to a different platform needs proper planning.
Conversion to PHPBB on a database side is well documented indeed, but it is not a light task. It needs, as mentioned, testing, testing and more testing.
We might also simply upgrade to a more recent and stable version of vBulletin.
But in the end I think it is about capacity.
After I made some changes in september, it was all running fine and responsive. Turned on the post-indexing thing and we got server overload.
MySQL can easily handle much bigger databases than ours.

So, I have put the ball in the court of our ISP, see what they come up with.

We're definitely in for bigger changes soon, but stability is the priority on the short term.

robertmf
24-10-2014, 16:11
Obviously, a switch to a different platform needs proper planning.
Conversion to PHPBB on a database side is well documented indeed, but it is not a light task. It needs, as mentioned, testing, testing and more testing.
We might also simply upgrade to a more recent and stable version of vBulletin.
But in the end I think it is about capacity.
After I made some changes in september, it was all running fine and responsive. Turned on the post-indexing thing and we got server overload.
MySQL can easily handle much bigger databases than ours.

So, I have put the ball in the court of our ISP, see what they come up with.

We're definitely in for bigger changes soon, but stability is the priority on the short term.

I think you'll find a bunch of green all-okay lines coming up when you do the conversion. As long as you can fix any red lines, then testing testing testing isn't really needed and you should be good-to-go very quickly after the conversion.

EXCEPT for the various phpBB3 topic, forum, member, admin, mod [PERMISSIONS] settings which *I* found to be very confusing :rofl: I still don't have a good grasp of them ...

Aren't you already using mySQL ? Whatever. From what I see here, the [waiting for expat.ru] browser message indicates a hangup with the ISP, not vBulletin - but you should convert anyway simply for $price$ :)