PDA

View Full Version : Care for mugging victim

solnyshko
01-02-2008, 22:27
Are doctors here really complete morons, or does it just seem that way to me?

A friend of ours got mugged last night. He came to us, and we took him to the hospital, where he got stitches and a couple of x-rays. The poor guy couldn't stand by himself while they were doing the scans, yet they sent him home saying that there was no concussion, nothing serious at all to worry about.

This evening, he had a seizure and lost consciousness completely. Couldn't understand anything we said to him, no response at all.

It turns out that he may have a subdural hematoma.

He'll be released from the hospital at some point, so does anybody have any advice for how to take care of people with injuries like this? Neither I nor my husband have ever had to deal with that before, but as this guy can't stay by himself, he'll probably be best off with us. Any advice or support that you guys can give would be very helpful.

Thanks.

MickeyTong
02-02-2008, 03:09
Your friend should be fine when he returns home. In hospital he may receive surgery to drain the blood from the haematoma, but if it is quite small he'll be kept under observations for a few days.
The brain is surrounded by the "meninges", which have 3 layers. Next to the brain is the pia mater and on top of this is the arachnoid mater. Next to the skull is the dura mater. These layers cushion the brain.
What your friend has is a bruise (a blood clot) between the dura mater and the arachnoid mater. If it's small, it will disappear by itself. If it's big it needs to be drained, otherwise it can grow and put pressure on the brain and intefere with normal functioning.
Hopefully this will be addressed in hospital and he should come home without any further problems.
Regards