PDA

View Full Version : 1st Sept GPS accuracy to reduce in Russia - local GPS sites shutting down

rumple_stilskin
17-08-2014, 19:36
If you have an old smartphone or navigation device, the accuracy is going to reduce on 1st of September in Russia.

http://www.ewdn.com/2014/05/15/russia-to-close-american-gps-stations-on-its-territory/

The americans have been operating 11 GPS stations throughout Russia. These stations do an error offset adjustment so that your GPS position is more accurate. Since USA has refused to allow the russian GLOSNASS system to be installed in the USA, the Russians are doing their principle of recipriosity and will shutdown the GPS here.

I guess it only affects old smartphones, as in 2011 the russians introduced a 25% import tax on all GPS devices that did not also include GLOSNASS. All the phone manufacturers quietly included glosnass into their phones to avoid the russian tax.

In the current political environment, I assume the shutdown is still going ahead.

Does anyone know the exact accuracy decrease? If it goes from 10 metres to 100 metres this will affect car naviation systems for sure.
I have an old GPS only phone...

TolkoRaz
17-08-2014, 19:41
I guess that this will legitimise the parking of vehicles on pavements and incorrectly driving down one-direction streets! ;)

Another thing to blame on the US of A! :D

FatAndy
17-08-2014, 19:44
I guess that this will legitimise the parking of vehicles on pavements and incorrectly driving down one-direction streets! ;)

Another thing to blame on the US of A! :D
I think Roskartografiya will have a good business on paper maps licenses! :devilish:

TolkoRaz
17-08-2014, 19:49
I also wonder how those wig wearing junior CIA officers will be able to find their Dead Letter Boxes and meet their Agents! ;)

Carl
17-08-2014, 21:49
GPS..? That's a 'want'....not a 'need', so no big deal.

Benedikt
18-08-2014, 06:45
GPS..? That's a 'want'....not a 'need', so no big deal.

first we check THAT and then we look WHERE we can go, without the GPS.....because many of the short cuts, side alleys and yard through fares are not on GPS but in OUR -remember from long last time- data bank.