PDA

View Full Version : Where have we seen this scenario before...?

Carl
08-08-2014, 14:52
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/local-man-replaces-rebel-leader-as-head-of-donetsk-people-s-republic/504786.html

Top dog steps down... Junior dog steps up... Previous top dog now 'reports' to new 'Top dog'...

Fantastika
08-08-2014, 15:57
What is the Moscow Times?

I saw this newspaper at Sheree and read it in the air. It just got worse and worse, after a while I thought it was the New York Slimes or the Washington comPost. "Progressive" Russia-bashing propaganda.

Does this Dutch company really own 25% of Russian media?

It's bizarre when everyone in the US claims that Putin controls (some of them say he owns) all the media in Russia.

Russian Lad
08-08-2014, 16:06
It's bizarre when everyone in the US claims that Putin controls (some of them say he owns) all the media in Russia.

All the mainstream television channels - not necessarily owns, but controls - for sure. Why do you find it bizarre? It is an effective brainwashing and propaganda tool, seems to be worth its money, I have to talk to its patients every day.

Benedikt
08-08-2014, 16:17
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/local-man-replaces-rebel-leader-as-head-of-donetsk-people-s-republic/504786.html

Top dog steps down... Junior dog steps up... Previous top dog now 'reports' to new 'Top dog'...

it is a show for local and international consumption.
when the -Mishka- replaced VV as president it was obvious who pulled the strings anyway.
same now....

Fantastika
08-08-2014, 16:43
All the mainstream television channels - not necessarily owns, but controls - for sure. Why do you find it bizarre? It is an effective brainwashing and propaganda tool, seems to be worth its money, I have to talk to its patients every day.

Well, the Moscow Times is obviously not under his control.

Similar TV news channel situation in US. All the mainstream TV channels (except for Fox) are all Obama poodles. When it comes to reporting on Russia, they are all (including Fox) 100% in the bag for Obama.

You will be delighted to know that RT is available here in rural Kansas. I don't have a TV, but I was surprised to see RT channel in lounge while I waited for my car to be fixed. I asked other people waiting about it, someone said, "It's just news." I said "It's RT - Russian Tevelivion - Russian propaganda, a good balance for CNN propaganda. Cool!" The manager said, it's just there, part of the cable package. He had no idea what it was. Then I went to another garage to get an oil change for the car, and they had a TV there in that lounge, and again I found RT. "It comes with the cable package," the mechanic said.

Russian Lad
08-08-2014, 16:52
Well, the Moscow Times is obviously not under his control.

How many Russians know English fluently and read Moscow Times do you think?:) One thousand people? Ten thousand people? Maybe twenty thousand people?
The audience of Rossiya24 and Channel 1 - many millions, surely well over 100 million people. It is all about the numbers.

Carl
08-08-2014, 17:14
it is a show for local and international consumption.
when the -Mishka- replaced VV as president it was obvious who pulled the strings anyway.
same now....

So..just a basic, cynical & rudametory way of trying to fool ones citizenry?

Fantastika
08-08-2014, 17:19
How many Russians know English fluently and read Moscow Times do you think?:) One thousand people? Ten thousand people? Maybe twenty thousand people?
The audience of Rossiya24 and Channel 1 - many millions, surely well over 100 million people. It is all about the numbers.

In Kansas, in farm country, there is a majority which knows the TV "news" has a bad odor about it, they reject it as part of the Big Brother-Washington and wish the government would stop micromanaging their lives.

I think similarly, most Russians, like you, are intelligent enough to see their TV news as mostly propaganda, or at least agenda-driven. The hypocrisy and logical holes are big enough to drive through with a KAMAZ truck.

About Moscow Times, from their "contact us" page:

The Moscow Times is the founding publication of Sanoma Independent Media (SIM) Publishing House, which was established as Independent Media in March 1992 by a group of Dutch investors headed by Derk Sauer.

SIM is now the largest player in the Russian media market, with a portfolio that includes more than 50 publications and projects with a cumulative readership about 12 million and about 25 percent share of the glossy advertising market.

Moscow Times has 50 publications in the Russian media market? 12 million readers? They are not all in English, I would wager...

Russian Lad
08-08-2014, 17:23
In Kansas, in farm country, there is a majority which knows the TV "news" has a bad odor about it, they reject it as part of the Big Brother-Washington and wish the government would stop micromanaging their lives.

I think similarly, most Russians, like you, are intelligent enough to see their TV news as mostly propaganda, or at least agenda-driven. The hypocrisy and logical holes are big enough to drive through with a KAMAZ truck.

No, most Russians are not intelligent enough.:) Many zombies even here on this forum, amazing but true. I hope some will begin wisening up after the food emery stuck up their arses by their own government.

Fantastika
08-08-2014, 18:24
No, most Russians are not intelligent enough.:) Many zombies even here on this forum, amazing but true. I hope some will begin wisening up after the food emery stuck up their arses by their own government.

Yes, in US, zombies :yikes: are called "low-information voters." :9456:

penka
08-08-2014, 18:24

Er, even you could be trained written English.... and you are a Russian, I recon.

Russian Lad
08-08-2014, 19:16
Er, even you could be trained written English.... and you are a Russian, I recon.

You imply I haven't been trained spoken English?
Any person can become fluent in English if he is trained properly and long enough. But I am not under the impression that the English language proficiency is widely spread among the Russians. You harbor a different view?

Carl
08-08-2014, 19:29
Any person can become fluent in English if he is trained properly and long enough. But I am not under the impression that the English language proficiency is widely spread among the Russians. You harbor a different view?

You have to realize Lad, Penka has not lived in the Rodina for many, many years. She's probably not the most 'up to date' on what the real situation is on the ground in Russia...

penka
08-08-2014, 20:46
You have to realize Lad, Penka has not lived in the Rodina for many, many years. She's probably not the most 'up to date' on what the real situation is on the ground in Russia...

I'm flattered you are so interested in my biography and lifestyle, carl.

penka
08-08-2014, 20:48

Never heard you speaking, so had to stick to the facts, if you understand how I mean.

Russian Lad
08-08-2014, 21:04
Never heard you speaking, so had to stick to the facts, if you understand how I mean.

Well, you know that I have worked as a translator/interpreter for many years, I have been hoping this fact you already know may have facilitated your thinking process.
I haven't heard you speak English either, but somehow I assume you can say outloud what you write here. You may try resorting to the same assumption pattern regarding my speaking abilities, it may help.

Carl
08-08-2014, 21:25
I'm flattered you are so interested in my biography and lifestyle, carl.

No interest.. Just deduction from your own public statements.

fenrir
08-08-2014, 21:35

Don't you love how patriotic Russians who have been living abroad a long time are? I know several here, in London and one on Bermuda who are all 'rossiya, rossiya' types who support the current sanctions from Moscow and want Russia to f--- the West, but they don't want to give up their Western champagne lifestyles themselves.

Carl
08-08-2014, 21:47
Don't you love how patriotic Russians who have been living abroad a long time are? I know several here, in London and one on Bermuda who are all 'rossiya, rossiya' types who support the current sanctions from Moscow and want Russia to f--- the West, but they don't want to give up their Western champagne lifestyles themselves.

I think it's called 'hypocrisy'...but I'm sure one of those far off patriots will correct me if I'm wrong.

Russian Lad
08-08-2014, 21:50

The Russian "patriots" living in Russia are no less funny - driving Western cars, buying iphones, other Western goods and hating the West.:) It feels like being in a zoo among monkeys.

Benedikt
08-08-2014, 23:18
So..just a basic, cynical & rudametory way of trying to fool ones citizenry?

and the people and their choice? if they DID NOT WANT to be in power who was or is, I am sure there are ways and means?
maybe here in Russia they WANT a strong hand? and a president whose approval rating is 88% and not in the low teens like in the USA.there were also elections there. they also had the choice or not? so why did they elect him?
or maybe it is not the ELECTORATE who elects the president? but the selected few who count the votes? might be also that way.happened here and there!