PDA

View Full Version : that's what fracking does to you

Benedikt
02-08-2014, 09:31
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-shulman/got-science-ohio-wake-up_b_5639164.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

but to do something against it? to late already.:10641: big business is rolling over the average citizen and tax payer like a steam roller. in cahoots with local elected officials. they don't care as long as they get a fat paycheck every month.

Russian Lad
02-08-2014, 10:46
Will it be reported on Rossiya24 today? I must take a look...
Most (all?) industrial activities bear damage to humans, to a certain extent, are you discovering something new today? For instance, I worked at a paper making facility in Russia, the level of cancer is five times higher in that town (the plant is only 30 minutes walk from the town center) than in the neighboring villages.

Judge
02-08-2014, 12:53
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-shulman/got-science-ohio-wake-up_b_5639164.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

but to do something against it? to late already.:10641: big business is rolling over the average citizen and tax payer like a steam roller. in cahoots with local elected officials. they don't care as long as they get a fat paycheck every month.

For many the positives outweigh the negatives,The US has taken over Russia as the largest gas producer in the world,this brings big money and lots of jobs,also if there is a disruption in the middle east the US won't be effected as much, this is what matters to most,not 70000 dead fish and a few earthquakes here and there....

Let's see what happens when a very small country like the UK starts to frack,70000 dead fish and earthquakes near villages will be a big thing...

Fantastika
02-08-2014, 13:43
I can't see countries in Europe going anywhere with fracking.

One, the environmentalists are much stronger than in the US; many states do not allow fracking.

Two, in the US, it has been private property owners who are responsible for the fracking boom, usually in spite of the government bureaucracy, not with their cooperation. Obama is not responsible for a single new oil well, or a single fracking operation.

In Europe, property owners are probably not allowed to drill or even own the resources under their soil. Since they won't profit from it, why would they help develop it? And even if owners are allowed to profit, the layers of bureaucracy are going to be complex and burdensome. The taxman will have his palm out, and the bureaucrat is going to justify his existence.

The environmentalists and bureaucrats are closing down coal production in the US. The US is now an importer of coal, no longer an exporter. Coal mining is easier for the intelligentsia to control - you can't open a coal mine in your back yard, as you can a fracking operation.

Fantastika
02-08-2014, 13:50
Will it be reported on Rossiya24 today? I must take a look...
Most (all?) industrial activities bear damage to humans, to a certain extent, are you discovering something new today? For instance, I worked at a paper making facility in Russia, the level of cancer is five times higher in that town (the plant is only 30 minutes walk from the town center) than in the neighboring villages.

Speaking of paper, I wonder if the newspaper is still being made with lead-based ink and arsenic? The next time you wad up a newspaper and see that black stuff on your hands...

okiey
02-08-2014, 19:03
In Ireland they won't allow us cut turf anymore, I don't see much hope for fracking.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0621/325891-turf-cutters-protest-continues-at-a-protected-bog/

vossy7
02-08-2014, 20:02
In Ireland they won't allow us cut turf anymore, I don't see much hope for fracking.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0621/325891-turf-cutters-protest-continues-at-a-protected-bog/

I want them all to frack off okiey.....I grew up in front of turf fires from the bogs of central Ireland!

The Earth's crust is so freaking thin , like the skin of an apple in relative terms. It amounts to less than half of 1 percent of our home planet's volume . If we keep fracking with it we will all be having a very early and hot colorful shower :verymad:

MickeyTong
03-08-2014, 05:38

Can you cut by hand? There is no industrial peat cutting where I live, and a few people still cut peats by hand. I did this myself for a couple of years after I moved here.

English Documentary: Peatcutting - YouTube

Alan65
03-08-2014, 11:49
For many the positives outweigh the negatives,The US has taken over Russia as the largest gas producer in the world,this brings big money and lots of jobs,also if there is a disruption in the middle east the US won't be effected as much, this is what matters to most,not 70000 dead fish and a few earthquakes here and there....

Let's see what happens when a very small country like the UK starts to frack,70000 dead fish and earthquakes near villages will be a big thing...

Remind me again....how does Russia intend to get the gas from the Basenova basin.

okiey
03-08-2014, 16:25
Thanks for that, it brings back a bit of nostalgia :)

I remember my Father cutting peat, or turf as we call it, by hand in my childhood and having to spread it out on the bank to dry.

Of course I hated the annual trips to the bog back then, but looking back it was something of a social occasion, as most neighbours were their too.

Once the machines arrived in the early eighties it quickly destroyed a lot of the bogs back where I come from.

The manual cutting was sustainable, but not the modern methods, especially the earlier machinery.

Can you cut by hand? There is no industrial peat cutting where I live, and a few people still cut peats by hand. I did this myself for a couple of years after I moved here.

fenrir
03-08-2014, 17:33
Thanks for that, it brings back a bit of nostalgia :)

I remember my Father cutting peat, or turf as we call it, by hand in my childhood and having to spread it out on the bank to dry.

Of course I hated the annual trips to the bog back then, but looking back it was something of a social occasion, as most neighbours were their too.

Once the machines arrived in the early eighties it quickly destroyed a lot of the bogs back where I come from.

The manual cutting was sustainable, but not the modern methods, especially the earlier machinery.

That's actually quite interesting as I once read that Ireland has used up about 50% of its peat resources. We have a lot of it here and export most of it to Germany.

penka
03-08-2014, 18:21
That's actually quite interesting as I once read that Ireland has used up about 50% of its peat resources. We have a lot of it here and export most of it to Germany.

https://ycharts.com/indicators/estonia_natural_gas_exports

?

Judge
05-08-2014, 00:21
Remind me again....how does Russia intend to get the gas from the Basenova basin.

No idea...If you're implying by fracking then maybe, but the US has told Russia to frack off when it comes to supplying fracking technology..
I'm no fracking expert,but if 70000 dead fish turn up on Brighton beach , we would have a catastrophe of biblical proportions.