PDA

View Full Version : Ebola Virus 'outbreak'

Judge
30-07-2014, 00:07
The Ebola virus ....

Ebola: Germany accepts infected patient for treatment
As medical services across Europe are on high alert to prevent any risk of Ebola spreading here, a hospital in Germany accepts a patient with the virus

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/10998367/Ebola-Germany-accepts-infected-patient-for-treatment.html

The virus nearly made its way to America...

Ebola outbreak: Victim who sparked fears of global epidemic was on way home to US
Patrick Sawyer could have brought Ebola to US but died in Nigeria while en route to family in Minnesota

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10998222/Ebola-outbreak-Victim-who-sparked-fears-of-global-epidemic-was-on-way-home-to-US.html

TolkoRaz
30-07-2014, 00:26
The next weapon of terror? ;)

Get on an aircraft, fly to the US of A and start spreading the virus! I am sure its in a manual somewhere! ;)

Judge
30-07-2014, 08:49

Get on an aircraft, fly to the US of A and start spreading the virus! I am sure its in a manual somewhere! ;)

European cities are only a few hours away, it will only take one person to get through and we could see an Ebola epidemic spread beyond West Africa....
There is already a ban from one African airline that refuses to fly to some areas in Africa...

TolkoRaz
30-07-2014, 10:33
As incubation periods are from 2 - 21 days, I can only assume that it would be hard to detect if they imposed a pre-flight screening procedure?

Alan65
30-07-2014, 10:59
)

Have you been reading Tom Clancy novels.

Judge
30-07-2014, 11:13
Raz stars in Clancy's novels...:agree:

Benedikt
30-07-2014, 14:39
Ebola outbreak: Victim who sparked fears of global epidemic was on way home to US
Patrick Sawyer could have brought Ebola to US but died in Nigeria while en route to family in Minnesota

or even better bury it there and than...
needs only one Ebola Microbe to get out somewhere and than all hell will brake loose.

just a thought though. if -they- would have spent 10% of the money on meds research what they spend on weapons and armaments, there would be no problems like Ebola, cancer, heart attacks and the like, around. suppose it is not -sexy - enough to find a cure for cancer. you can make more money with snake oil.

TolkoRaz
30-07-2014, 15:51

Approximately 2 - 3 years ago, a large number of extremists died in Libya from Bubonic Plague. They have been manufacturing & testing the possible transfer of live 'incubators' to target countries.

Sadly such use of a deadly contagion is a real threat.

penka
30-07-2014, 16:36
Approximately 2 - 3 years ago, a large number of extremists died in Libya from Bubonic Plague. They have been manufacturing & testing the possible transfer of live 'incubators' to target countries.

I admire your unbendable patience. Honestly.

rusmeister
31-07-2014, 08:15
Has anybody seen the film "Outbreak" with Dustin Hoffman?

rusmeister
09-08-2014, 08:59
I guess not.

Benedikt
09-08-2014, 09:38
I guess not.

only for the trailer. but sounds interesting.
actually for me ANY film starring Norman Freeman is a -must see- film. Excellent actor.
If it is not on youtube, they might have it in Ismailovo at the Vernisage...

TolkoRaz
09-08-2014, 10:49
Ebola sounds like a fruit drink! ;)

vossy7
09-08-2014, 11:45
Wasn't it Biopreparat messed around with Elboa , anthrax and other nice condiments in the 70s ? I bet those experts know a thing or two about antidotes, if they are still around !

JanC
09-08-2014, 12:12
Ebola is nasty but it's hard to see it as the biggest threat to our species. It's too good at killing its host, and it does not transmit easily.

New (bird) flu strains scare me more as they are much more easily transmitted, a relatively small mutation could make it highly contagious to the point that you don't need to come in direct contact with an infected individual to catch it. At that point, modern air travel becomes a serious issue. With Ebola, you can still sit next to an infected person on the plane and unless he is already seriously ill and vomiting blood on you, you're likely to be all right.

bydand
09-08-2014, 15:40
Ebola is nasty but it's hard to see it as the biggest threat to our species. It's too good at killing its host, and it does not transmit easily.

New (bird) flu strains scare me more as they are much more easily transmitted, a relatively small mutation could make it highly contagious to the point that you don't need to come in direct contact with an infected individual to catch it. At that point, modern air travel becomes a serious issue. With Ebola, you can still sit next to an infected person on the plane and unless he is already seriously ill and vomiting blood on you, you're likely to be all right.

I hope this Ebola is not a new strain.

Five Ebola subtypes have been identified: Zaire ebolavirus (ZEBOV), which was first identified in 1976 and is the most virulent; Sudan ebolavirus, (SEBOV; Ivory Coast ebolavirus (ICEBOV); Ebola-Reston (REBOV), and Bundibugyo ebolavirus (BEBOV) (1, 3, 8, 9). Reston was isolated from cynomolgus monkeys from the Philippines in 1989 and is less pathogenic in non-human primates. It was thought to be the only subtype that does not cause infection in humans until 2009, when it was strongly speculated to have been transferred from pigs to humans. Bundibugyo was discovered in 2008, and has been found to be most closely related to the ICEBOV strain (9).

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/lab-bio/res/psds-ftss/ebola-eng.php

FatAndy
09-08-2014, 17:02
As incubation periods are from 2 - 21 days, I can only assume that it would be hard to detect if they imposed a pre-flight screening procedure?
Only immunological testing will work with acceptable accuracy of 95%, and with the delay needed to perform blood take, registration, biochem test, re-check if positive, and then issuing conclusion plus delivery time to the decision point.

Keeping in mind high contagiosity and high mortality rate, i'd perform full military chained quarantine there, like it is done with 4 especially dangerous diseases, but WHO will pull bobcat's b@!!$...

These 95% are also not accurate at the very first steps of disease devt. So only full military chained quarantine. :verycool:

It was the favourite leisure time occupation of Mr. Lewinsky...

FatAndy
09-08-2014, 23:49

In contrary with Ebola fever, plague (one of 4 especially dangerous ones) is the bacterial etiology disease and cured with modern antibiotics fast enough with a minimal mortality... well... the most of strains... ;)

robertmf
10-08-2014, 01:59
Wasn't it Biopreparat messed around with Elboa , anthrax and other nice condiments in the 70s ? I bet those experts know a thing or two about antidotes, if they are still around !

Today I read about a city in Tatarstan quarantined for anthrax.

:watching::watching:

MickeyTong
10-08-2014, 02:19
I guess not.

This appears to be the case, Rus. Have you seen it?

(Did anyone spot the rhetorical question?)

Suuryaa
10-08-2014, 04:21
Today I read about a city in Tatarstan quarantined for anthrax.

:watching::watching:

A village.

rusmeister
10-08-2014, 07:39
This appears to be the case, Rus. Have you seen it?

(Did anyone spot the rhetorical question?)

Of course. Twice. It's an enjoyable thriller. And you will walk away with a lucid idea about the contagiousness of illness.

Judge
01-10-2014, 08:02
Ebola is in America: Dallas man is diagnosed with disease AFTER return from Africa in first case found on U.S. soil. Now in isolation but he MAY have infected others

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2775608/CDC-confirms-Dallas-patient-isolation-testing-returning-region-plagued-Ebola-HAS-deadly-virus.html

Benedikt
01-10-2014, 09:09
The virus made its way to America...

unfortunately, it is in the =pay to tead= section. but for sure there must be other links as well.

rusmeister
01-10-2014, 10:21
The virus made its way to America...

unfortunately, it is in the =pay to tead= section. but for sure there must be other links as well.

We will tell you about pandemics and how to keep the zombies away for only €9.99!

Remington
01-10-2014, 11:35
http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamond/2014/09/30/ebola-comes-to-america-cdc-confirms-first-case-of-ebola-diagnosed-in-united-states/

Fantastika
01-10-2014, 21:52

Excellent flick, and there's "Andromeda Strain" by Michael Crichton, one of the first "plague movies", "The Stand" by Stephen King, and my favorite, but not made into a movie, "Swan Song" by Robert R. McCammon. I'm sure Michael Palmer, Stephen Sprouill (spelling) and Robin Cook have written similar, but I can't think of the titles right now (too many books)...

Wonder if the CDC has seen it, too, and they are doing CYA (Cover Your....)

BTW, CDC definition of "transmission occurs only by direct contact" does *not* mean you have to touch the person to get infected, it means that for several hours after the infected person has touched something, that you shouldn't touch that something.

Fantastika
01-10-2014, 22:06
The Ebola virus ....

The virus nearly made its way to America...

Not to be redundant, but it's here, and it was a foregone conclusion given the Obama regime's methods and sending 3000 troops to Africa to "fight" it.

Five more children in Texas possibly exposed. And since Obama opened the Rio Grande border to illegals or "abandoned children" from Central America, there have been outbreaks of diseases they brought with them, infecting American schoolchildren - scabies, tuberculosis, some new illegal-immigrant-caused mini pandemic mysterious illness called "Enterovirus EV-D68". Pretty obvious that politics, in the White House, is more important than the country's health. After all, it would be "racist" to stop illegal immigration from Central America and to stop flights from African countries where Ebola is spreading.

Yesterday he blamed the White House break-in on the (unqualified) woman he himself appointed to head the Secret Service.

Ooops. US nearly bombed our only allies in Syria by mistake. Obama blamed the "intelligence agencies" with bad information on the capabilities of ISIS (but he never attends his daily intelligence briefings).

My question is: who will Obama blame the Ebola outbreak on? ("Ain't my fault.").

Judge
01-10-2014, 23:00
Originally Posted by rusmeister View Post

Rus, another good film is
Contagion (2011) - IMDb

Judge
01-10-2014, 23:06
Not to be redundant, but it's here, and it was a foregone conclusion given the Obama regime's methods and sending 3000 troops to Africa to "fight" it.

Five more children in Texas possibly exposed. And since Obama opened the Rio Grande border to illegals or "abandoned children" from Central America, there have been outbreaks of diseases they brought with them, infecting American schoolchildren - scabies, tuberculosis, some new illegal-immigrant-caused mini pandemic mysterious illness called "Enterovirus EV-D68". Pretty obvious that politics, in the White House, is more important than the country's health. After all, it would be "racist" to stop illegal immigration from Central America and to stop flights from African countries where Ebola is spreading.

Yesterday he blamed the White House break-in on the (unqualified) woman he himself appointed to head the Secret Service.

Ooops. US nearly bombed our only allies in Syria by mistake. Obama blamed the "intelligence agencies" with bad information on the capabilities of ISIS (but he never attends his daily intelligence briefings).

My question is: who will Obama blame the Ebola outbreak on? ("Ain't my fault.").

He's busy making other excuses.
like for ISIS
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-is-obama-skipping-more-than-half-of-his-daily-intelligence-meetings/2012/09/10/6624afe8-fb49-11e1-b153-218509a954e1_story.html

AND

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2776592/A-slapdash-Secret-Service-isn-t-s-wrong-White-House-real-scandal-President-complacent-protecting-Americans.html

I don't wanna turn this thread into anti-Obama, but it's like he's dropping the ball on many things...

Judge
01-10-2014, 23:08
Schoolchildren exposed in US Ebola scare: Texas governor Rick Perry reveals fears for kids and says 18 Americans may have virus after hospital sent infected man home with PAINKILLERS

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2775608/CDC-confirms-Dallas-patient-isolation-testing-returning-region-plagued-Ebola-HAS-deadly-virus.html

Fantastika
01-10-2014, 23:44
I hope this Ebola is not a new strain.

Five Ebola subtypes have been identified: Zaire ebolavirus (ZEBOV), which was first identified in 1976 and is the most virulent; Sudan ebolavirus, (SEBOV; Ivory Coast ebolavirus (ICEBOV); Ebola-Reston (REBOV), and Bundibugyo ebolavirus (BEBOV) (1, 3, 8, 9). Reston was isolated from cynomolgus monkeys from the Philippines in 1989 and is less pathogenic in non-human primates. It was thought to be the only subtype that does not cause infection in humans until 2009, when it was strongly speculated to have been transferred from pigs to humans. Bundibugyo was discovered in 2008, and has been found to be most closely related to the ICEBOV strain (9).

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/lab-bio/res/psds-ftss/ebola-eng.php

Reston? I used to live in Reston. :(

Anyway, why isn't the CDC telling the public which strain it is?

Judge
02-10-2014, 10:14
Posts about US secret service moved here

http://expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=629676

Judge
02-10-2014, 11:36
I don't know when is the time to hit the panic button,but it can't be too far away now....

Now a patient in Hawaii is in isolation with suspected Ebola... but has not yet been tested for the virus and doctors refuse to reveal if they traveled from Africa

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2777388/Patient-Honolulu-isolation-possible-EBOLA-not-tested-virus.html#ixzz3EyG0NsxP
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Benedikt
02-10-2014, 11:41
[QUOTE=Judge;1357024]Schoolchildren exposed in US Ebola scare: Texas governor Rick Perry reveals fears for kids and says 18 Americans may have virus after hospital sent infected man home with PAINKILLERS

and still wondering if it would have been handled differently if the guy would have been a white man?

rusmeister
02-10-2014, 20:30
He's busy making other excuses.
like for ISIS
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-is-obama-skipping-more-than-half-of-his-daily-intelligence-meetings/2012/09/10/6624afe8-fb49-11e1-b153-218509a954e1_story.html

AND

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2776592/A-slapdash-Secret-Service-isn-t-s-wrong-White-House-real-scandal-President-complacent-protecting-Americans.html

I don't wanna turn this thread into anti-Obama, but it's like he's dropping the ball on many things...
The thing that gets me is how people think he actually makes the really important decisions. I understand younger people believing that, but people wo have been voting since the Reagan era ought to have begun to notice that a change of leadership does not result in real policy change. Obama didn't repeal Bush-era laws (certainly not on anything that touches the ultra-wealthy), and Bush didn't repeal Clinton era laws, and on and on. That being the case, being "anti-President" is pretty useless. Zaphod Beeblebrox put it well enough.

Fantastika
02-10-2014, 22:52
[QUOTE=Judge;1357024]Schoolchildren exposed in US Ebola scare: Texas governor Rick Perry reveals fears for kids and says 18 Americans may have virus after hospital sent infected man home with PAINKILLERS

and still wondering if it would have been handled differently if the guy would have been a white man?

Now it's up to 100 may been contacted.

Everything about this president is political. There is a large Liberian population (illegal immigrants) in Dallas. They depend on the government for food stamps and housing, welfare, cell phones, etc. and the ones who aren't illegal vote overwhelmingly for Obama and his Democrats.

Why aren't illegal immigrants deported? (Obama has an couple of Kenyan uncles who have overstayed their 3-month US visas by 20 years). Why doesn't US ban flights from Ebola countries? Why doesn't the US enforce its border, where illegals pour over the fence bringing all kinds of diseases with them?

Obama's policy is to encourage illegal immigration, to curry votes, and if a deadly disease is a side-effect, too bad, he won't take the logical steps to stop it - deportations, canceling air-flights from Liberia, real screening - instead of screening by a short questionnaire...like a Liberian "tourist" is going to admit he may have contacted a disease when to do so would eliminate his chances to get to the US, Land of Welfare?

Fantastika
02-10-2014, 23:08
The thing that gets me is how people think he actually makes the really important decisions. I understand younger people believing that, but people wo have been voting since the Reagan era ought to have begun to notice that a change of leadership does not result in real policy change. Obama didn't repeal Bush-era laws (certainly not on anything that touches the ultra-wealthy), and Bush didn't repeal Clinton era laws, and on and on. That being the case, being "anti-President" is pretty useless. Zaphod Beeblebrox put it well enough.

Obama is the best example of that. He knew nothing about International Affairs or Foreign Policy, so he just left everything as it was - kind of like "George Bush auto-pilot" - if you're flying in an airplane and something happens to pilot, just leave the plane on "autopilot".

Everything was cool for a while, and he could have been now happily retired as "America's First Black President" but he ran for a second 4-year term and now the poop has hit the fan. The people advising him on how to safely land that airplane are university "intelligentsia" lacking real-world experience. Bill Ayers (Obama's US terrorist buddy) is probably advising him dropping bombs on Syria, that will help solve the problem.

Judge
02-10-2014, 23:10

A lot of people believed him when he came riding his horse on the stage screaming CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE!!!

Fantastika
02-10-2014, 23:25
A lot of people believed him when he came riding his horse on the stage screaming CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE!!!

Well, it was either Obama :rasta:, or Hillary :jester:.

Yaks
03-10-2014, 08:55
because even in America not all power resides in the president. Only real changes get through if it is a democrat president and senate or republican president and senate. otherwise it is compromise and watering things down. Though obamacare got through which is quite a radical change for the US.

While in oz, Labor and the coalition(conservatives) couldn't be more different and the changes depending on who is in power are quite stark.

Judge
03-10-2014, 10:03
Dallas Ebola shambles: Family try to break out of isolation at virus victim’s apartment as visitors come and go, up to 100 may be exposed and even cop cars are in quarantine

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2777788/Panicked-parents-pull-kids-school-s-revealed-Ebola-patient-Texas-throwing-place.html

Judge
03-10-2014, 10:05
Well, it was either Obama :rasta:, or Hillary :jester:.

and now it's going to be Hillary's turn..... kinda like Putin and Medvedev swapping seats...:drink:

JanC
03-10-2014, 10:10
Dallas Ebola shambles: Family try to break out of isolation at virus victim’s apartment as visitors come and go, up to 100 may be exposed and even cop cars are in quarantine

Anyone who is not displaying symptoms of the disease is simply not contagious.

The media are having a field day selling panic to idiots.

Armoured
03-10-2014, 11:00
Why aren't illegal immigrants deported?

The US is actually deporting far more annually than under previous administrations, and a record last year:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/us/deportation-up-in-2013-border-sites-were-focus.html?_r=0

Granted, they've said they want to change the approach to focus on criminals and security threats: "But White House officials have said the president will seek to shield more immigrants from deportation so enforcement agents can better focus on criminals and security threats."

Judge
03-10-2014, 11:37
Anyone who is not displaying symptoms of the disease is simply not contagious.

The media are having a field day selling panic to idiots.
One of my favourite headlines was 'Doomsday warning'

Well, when you get the top guy coming out with comments like...
You can't blame the media for having a field day...

Doomsday warning: UN Ebola chief raises 'nightmare' prospect that virus could mutate and become airborne - making it much more infectious..

The longer the Ebola epidemic continues infecting people unabated, the higher the chances it will mutate and become airborne, the UN's Ebola response chief has warned.

JanC
03-10-2014, 11:59
Doomsday warning: UN Ebola chief raises 'nightmare' prospect that virus could mutate and become airborne

It's not impossible but it is highly unlikely due to the properties of Ebola. I'm still much more worried about new flu strains than anything else.

Fantastika
03-10-2014, 16:26
WND.com:

NEW YORK – In 2010, the Obama administration quietly dumped Bush-era plans to enact quarantine regulations supported by the Centers for Disease Control that were designed to prevent travelers from spreading infectious diseases.

As first reported by USA Today April 1, 2010, the quarantine rules had been touted in 2006 by the CDC as “critical to protecting Americans from dangerous diseases spread by travelers.”

The CDC reported Tuesday the first case of Ebola diagnosed in the U.S. The patient, a Liberian national, had traveled to Dallas from Liberia Sept. 20 via Brussels, Belgium.

The regulations were proposed by the Bush administration in 2005 during the height of avian and swine flu fears. The rules would have required airlines to report to federal authorities any ill passengers. They mandated that airlines collect information on international passengers – including email addresses, traveling companions and return flight details – to make it easier to trace passengers in any investigation of a disease outbreak.

USA Today reported the Air Transport Association of America decried the proposal as imposing “unprecedented” regulations on airlines at costs they couldn’t afford. The American Civil Liberties Union objected to potential privacy rights violations and the proposal’s “provisional quarantine” rule that would have allowed the CDC “to detain people involuntarily for three business days if the agency believed they had certain diseases: pandemic flu, infectious tuberculosis, plague, cholera, SARS, smallpox, yellow fever, diphtheria or viral hemorrhagic fevers such as Ebola.”

Read more at http://mobile.wnd.com/2014/10/obama-dumped-bush-era-quarantine-proposal/#H0M5lV4YsoXL8Vrt.99

Armoured
03-10-2014, 18:24
Interesting some of the parts you left out (tidbits):

Josh Gerstein, writing in Politico on April 2, 2010, reported the CDC had forwarded the Bush-era rules, which were never fully implemented, for formal approval to the Office of Budget Management in June 2009.
Gerstein previously quoted Christopher Calabrese of the American Civil Liberties Union, who sharply criticizing the Bush-era proposal as heavy-handed.

“It doesn’t surprise me that when swine flu or any other epidemic is featured prominently in the news, we see a return to quarantine and other public health regulations,” Calabrese said.

So these regulations were really never anything more than a proposal, it seems they were considered excessive in terms of cost and 'liberties', and possibly weren't going to be effective anyway (OMB has to do a study of feasibility and cost, I think).

In other words, it's not really a case of Obama "dropping" Bush's regulations, but of them quietly shelving plans/proposals that had really never been finalized and that the Bush administration basically didn't do anything with for about three years. Hard to say without more information, but possibly even for good reason.

Rhetorical question: why are people against all the _existing_ regulations and paperwork (which are automatically silly, ineffective, bureaucratic and kill the private sector), but _for_ all the hypothetical regulation and paperwork?

Long term, it may well be that they should have enacted this particular set of regulations. Or this may be dealt with effectively by existing regs combined with some additional effort. We'll see.

Ah, and another bit - even Bush admin was not convinced:

Even in the Bush administration, some were skeptical of the CDC's 2005 proposal, said Stewart Baker, assistant secretary for policy at the Department of Homeland Security from 2005 to 2009. "There were a lot of questions about how plausible it was to treat airports as a place where you could stop and inspect and quarantine people," Baker said Thursday.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-04-01-quarantine_N.htm

Fantastika
03-10-2014, 18:35
Interesting some of the parts you left out (tidbits):

So these regulations were really never anything more than a proposal...

Did you know that different words mean different things?

I quoted "In 2010, the Obama administration quietly dumped Bush-era plans..."

Do you know the difference between "plans" and "regulations"?

My comment stated "plans" but you altered that to "regulations".

Not only do you want me to waste my time presenting you with a URL for every sentence I write, now you want me to read to you from the dictionary, too?

The point is that Bush proposed more screening on possible disease-carrying immigrants, and Obama, for political reason, threw those plans in the dumpster.

Armoured
03-10-2014, 18:41

Your comment title was "Bush _Rules_." I think 'regulations' is a reasonable synonym for 'rules.'

Not only do you want me to waste my time presenting you with a URL for every sentence I write, now you want me to read to you from the dictionary, too?

You could start by being more polite. Particularly given your track record for saying stuff you 'know' that turns out to be false.

Final point: not clear from these articles whether these 'rules' would have required implementing legislation - and whether the Obama administration would have had any chance of getting them adopted by Congress.

Jas
03-10-2014, 20:21
Did you know that different words mean different things?

The point is that Bush proposed more screening on possible disease-carrying immigrants, and Obama, for political reason, threw those plans in the dumpster.

Here wo go again. Obama seems 2 B all u think about and it's just stuff what u get off foxnews. There's zillions of sites were u can rant on about obama but u come on a russia site 2 do it. Duh. I just wanna pull me hair out.
I like some stuff on fox like Judge Jeanine...... but do I just keep on about her? No.
So stuff what u like or dont like in this case u shud keep to ureself. Better u post on a site that wud welcome that.
Are u starting to get wid the idea now or no?

Jas
03-10-2014, 20:23
Your comment title was "Bush _Rules_." I think 'regulations' is a reasonable synonym for 'rules.'

You could start by being more polite. Particularly given your track record for saying stuff you 'know' that turns out to be false.

Final point: not clear from these articles whether these 'rules' would have required implementing legislation - and whether the Obama administration would have had any chance of getting them adopted by Congress.

We got no interest in domestic schit from america. It's boring.

Fantastika
03-10-2014, 20:43
Blah, blah

Why are you trying to make this about me?

The POINT is that Barack Hussein Obama threw proposed rules to protect America's health from a DEADLY DISEASE into the dumpster, and he did it for PARTISAN POLITICAL reasons.

Why are you here? Why are you posting?

Seems to me that you are just another arrogant American, Democrat & Lefty, who takes the condescending view that Russians are stupid Slavs who need to be "educated" in the proper New World Order "Progressive" ways to achieve "correct thought."

Jas
03-10-2014, 21:10
Why are you trying to make this about me?

The POINT is that Barack Hussein Obama threw proposed rules to protect America's health from a DEADLY DISEASE into the dumpster, and he did it for PARTISAN POLITICAL reasons.

Seems to me that you are just another arrogant American, Democrat & Lefty, who takes the condescending view that Russians are stupid Slavs who need to be "educated" in the proper New World Order "Progressive" ways to achieve "correct thought."

Ure not interested in doing anything but just ranting about obama. No one here does this accept u. Sick of ure blah blah blah really. U got some very good points even, but u just keep going off the deep end with the domestic stuff.

rusmeister
03-10-2014, 21:10
Obama is the best example of that. He knew nothing about International Affairs or Foreign Policy, so he just left everything as it was - kind of like "George Bush auto-pilot" - if you're flying in an airplane and something happens to pilot, just leave the plane on "autopilot".

Everything was cool for a while, and he could have been now happily retired as "America's First Black President" but he ran for a second 4-year term and now the poop has hit the fan. The people advising him on how to safely land that airplane are university "intelligentsia" lacking real-world experience. Bill Ayers (Obama's US terrorist buddy) is probably advising him dropping bombs on Syria, that will help solve the problem.

Honestly, though, this seems to buy in to the idea that the President DOES make the really important decisions. I'm saying that the evidence - considering Presidents of opposing Parties and theoretically opposed (yet undefined) worldviews - suggests the opposite - that they don't. And that means that Obama really didn't decide independently to do such things. They all work towards the encouragement of the growth of Islam (imagine if we had stopped with Japan at the Doolittle raid), and it appears to be part of a conscious policy, that was begun before - perhaps long before - he ever stepped into office.

But we keep blaming Obama. That says that the daily propaganda works.

Judge
03-10-2014, 21:17

Attack the argument not the person.

Jas
03-10-2014, 21:18
They all work towards the encouragement of the growth of Islam (imagine if we had stopped with Japan at the Doolittle raid), and it appears to be part of a conscious policy, that was begun before - perhaps long before - he ever stepped into office.

This is Rus doing political takiyyah cos he told he wud prefer to live under the most extremist form of islam and wud emigrate there if he cud escape secular ideas. I can find the thread were he told that.

Suuryaa
03-10-2014, 21:21
They all work towards the encouragement of the growth of Islam

What for?

Jas
03-10-2014, 21:25
Who was defending minorities and victims of extremist violence? Me.

Who was turning a blind eye to the killing just so he cud continue to promote his crazy patriarchal ideas of control under islamist protection? Rus.

And now that same Rus is slagging off obama just cos he respects muslim immigrants!

Jas
03-10-2014, 21:27
What for?

Er, what obama and all decent leaders work for is hope over hate. Dont listen to rus, all he wants is theocracy cos he thinks like the same mullahs he often sides with.

rusmeister
03-10-2014, 22:01
What for?

Good question. How about creating a long-term enemy that will justify gazillions of dollars in military spending?

fenrir
03-10-2014, 22:46
Who was defending minorities and victims of extremist violence? Me.

Then why aren't you back home in Pakistan, the Land of the Rising Gun, defending the Christian minority?

Uncle Wally
04-10-2014, 00:42
Then why aren't you back home in Pakistan, the Land of the Rising Gun, defending the Christian minority?

Then why are you home defending the" Homeland"?

penka
04-10-2014, 01:06

:D:D:D:D

Jas
04-10-2014, 09:23

Er, me home is the uk, thanks but I emigrated to sweden. Mmm , given that Asma Jehangir is getting death threats I dont think pakistan is the best place to promote minoroty rights. U can actually be effective from europe also.

Jas
04-10-2014, 10:51

Its all minorities what need support, not only christians cos its me sect whats getting the worst deal, thanks.

Fantastika
04-10-2014, 16:08
Honestly, though, this seems to buy in to the idea that the President DOES make the really important decisions. I'm saying that the evidence - considering Presidents of opposing Parties and theoretically opposed (yet undefined) worldviews - suggests the opposite - that they don't. And that means that Obama really didn't decide independently to do such things. They all work towards the encouragement of the growth of Islam (imagine if we had stopped with Japan at the Doolittle raid), and it appears to be part of a conscious policy, that was begun before - perhaps long before - he ever stepped into office.

It seems to me 0bama knows he can rely on his appointees to make the "correct" policy decisions. He knows who they are and that they think as he does. He doesn't have to tell them what to do, they will do as he would do. If the poop does hit the fan, as with Benghazi or the IRS, he can throw that agency head or appointee (Hilary Clinton, Lois Lerner) "under the bus" and the media will help maintain his lack of responsibility.

Try googling "who has obama thrown under the bus"...

I don't think the "intelligentsia" are so much "pro-Islam" as they are "anti-Christian" or "anti-Establishment" or even "pro New World Order."

"...imagine if we had stopped with Japan at the Doolittle raid,..."

не понимаю, what do you conjecture might have happened then? ("30 Seconds over Tokyo" - good book and good movie, BTW :) )

Fantastika
04-10-2014, 16:13
Er, what obama and all decent leaders work for is hope over hate. Dont listen to rus, all he wants is theocracy cos he thinks like the same mullahs he often sides with.

You may be right....In his book “Audacity of Hope” Obama writes: “I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.”

Why are you against Tea Party? I have always thought Muslims were angry because the government was acting in a suppressive manner regarding the traditional practices of their religion. The Tea Party is also concerned about a big oppressive government.

Armoured
04-10-2014, 16:41
You may be right....In his book “Audacity of Hope” Obama writes: “I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.”

Bull. Here's the actual quote, he's referring to American citizens:

In the wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans, for example, have a more urgent quality, for the stories of detentions and FBI questioning and hard stares from neighbors have shaken their sense of security and belonging. They have been reminded that the history of immigration in this country has a dark underbelly; they need specific reassurances that their citizenship really means something, that America has learned the right lessons from the Japanese internments during World War II, and that I will stand with them should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/coilofrage.asp#QQZtFuK2q3AgLTbL.99

More stuff you know that's not true.

Fantastika
04-10-2014, 18:10
Bull. Here's the actual quote, he's referring to American citizens:

More stuff you know that's not true.

Hey, did you figure out yet, when that big yellow thing goes up into the sky in the morning, it seems to get warmer?

Obama's "actual" quote is “I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.”

Jas
04-10-2014, 18:16

Why are you against Tea Party? I have always thought Muslims were angry because the government was acting in a suppressive manner regarding the traditional practices of their religion. The Tea Party is also concerned about a big oppressive government.

The state is everything and cos u dont understand that extremism of all kinds is spreading like a virus. All what america did against strong states just fanned the flames in iraq, syria, libya, egypt-just spreading chaos. I only hope pakistan can one day set up a strong state that will crush all the snakes and scorpions whats plotting against the people.

Jas
04-10-2014, 18:22
Hey, did you figure out yet, when that big yellow thing goes up into the sky in the morning, it seems to get warmer?

Obama's "actual" quote is “I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.”

Tired of listening against u going on and on about obama for what, just so u can get the republicans in. Er, what will they do against terrorists? Nothing. It was them who betrayed General Musharaf and me ethnic group in sindh also what was fighting the talibs and the result was isb got nearly overrun and karachi became a black hole.

Someone like Judge Jeanine shud be president. People like u fantastika wanna argue with the state but the state is the will of the people and besides, u got guns but the states got guns 2 and its got more guns than u.

Fantastika
04-10-2014, 18:28
Attack the argument not the person.

How many times do I have to see American sociologists, university professors, NGO's, college-educated "intelligentsia," who all think that Russia is a "backward" society, and Russians don't understand all the "advantages" of the "modern, civilized" world, and they feel it is their duty to 'educate" the ignorant Slavs? It's fairly easy to spot yet another one of these do-gooders.

Once I was on the plane coming back from Sheremytevo to DC, and I sat next to this California university woman, some kind of social scientist, who bragged she had been to Russia 39 times, to "study" Russia and its people.

So, after she finally paused to take a breath, "Do you like the Russian people, do you love their country?" "

"Well, I am just there to study them, to analyze." (She was on the taxpayer's dime, her "research" funded by the government). I changed the wording, and repeated the question, but she would not admit to any affinity.

I didn't say anything, I was just stunned, :jawdrop: that you can go to a foreign country, a different culture, 39 times, and be with the people, and even after all that time not feel something, in the heart, for the land and its people. To her, Russians are just bugs under a microscope.

Such "do-gooder" people create far more chaos and destruction than create harmony. Look at the mess they have made of the black culture in the US.

Jas
04-10-2014, 18:29
This is Judge Jeanine and I love her cos she is offering exactly what we shud be doing. She is smart and wud crush all extremists.

http://youtu.be/OBrmTCmuPWE

FatAndy
04-10-2014, 18:34
Comrades, read the header of the thread...

:emote_popcorn:

Jas
04-10-2014, 18:39
Can I do a thread then just for Judge Jeanine?

Fantastika
04-10-2014, 18:41
Forget it...

Threw my TV in the dumpster 10 years ago. Judge Jeanine looks interesting...

FatAndy
04-10-2014, 18:53
Can I do a thread then just for Judge Jeanine?
A separate new one, please - even for... erhmmm... prophet Muammad.

Armoured
05-10-2014, 19:01

Actually, that's simply a lie. The actual text is in my post.

penka
06-10-2014, 12:21
Back to ebola:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ebola-crisis-virus-could-reach-the-uk-and-france-by-the-end-of-october-scientists-claim-9775693.html

JanC
06-10-2014, 12:38
Back to ebola:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ebola-crisis-virus-could-reach-the-uk-and-france-by-the-end-of-october-scientists-claim-9775693.html

Sure it might "reach" the UK and other European countries via a few individuals who have recently spent time in Africa surrounded by Ebola.

What will happen after this (entirely ignored as it doesn't suit the alarmist nature of the article) : very little.

Once the disease is "imported" it won't spread like a fire, it's not even likely those infected travelers will pass the disease on to even a single person never mind dozens (a requirement to create any kind of pandemic).
There is a reason Ebola outbreaks have always been confined to some countries in one part of Africa: it requires highly unhygienic conditions to spread.

penka
06-10-2014, 12:41
Sure it might "reach" the UK and other European countries via a few individuals who have recently spent time in Africa surrounded by Ebola.

What will happen after this (entirely ignored as it doesn't suit the alarmist nature of the article) : very little.

Once the disease is "imported" it won't spread like a fire, it's not even likely those infected travelers will pass the disease on to even a single person never mind dozens (a requirement to create any kind of pandemic).
There is a reason Ebola outbreaks have always been confined to some countries in one part of Africa: it requires highly unhygienic conditions to spread.

Somehow, I suspect, the operative phrase here is "to cut down flights from Africa".

JanC
06-10-2014, 12:46
Probably, but I think providing extra information on the planes (like: if you develop any so-and-so symptoms in the next few weeks, make sure to let your doctor know you've been to Africa) plus a few extra measures like disinfecting hand cream would be plenty at this point.

By all means this is less of a big deal than even SARS and definitely "bird" flu variants. It's just that Ebola is more spectacular with a sky-high fatality rate, in absolute numbers the regular flu still kills a lot more people each day.

Armoured
06-10-2014, 12:58
Probably, but I think providing extra information on the planes (like: if you develop any so-and-so symptoms in the next few weeks, make sure to let your doctor know you've been to Africa) plus a few extra measures like disinfecting hand cream would be plenty at this point.

By all means this is less of a big deal than even SARS and definitely "bird" flu variants. It's just that Ebola is more spectacular with a sky-high fatality rate, in absolute numbers the regular flu still kills a lot more people each day.

The case with SARS is probably most indicative too of what are likely to be the most successful measures.

A lot of countries instituted various measures like measuring temperature on planes before entry, asking questions at airports, etc. I don't remember hearing anywhere that those steps were particularly successful _except_ at raising awareness.

The successful steps taken were mostly standard public-health - quarantines, highly-informed nursing staff, extra (but fairly simple) hygienic measures, extra washing and cleaning, occasional lockdowns of facilities with vulnerable populations (nursing homes, hospitals, etc). And in that case, several North American cities were directly affected, and just like now, the first cases were fairly poorly handled - it took a while to get the public health system reacting and adapting adequately, asking the right questions, identifying vulnerable populations, cleaning, cleaning, and cleaning again, etc. (I was in one of those cities and have a relative who is responsible for operational health and safety - basically making sure the staff implement the procedures - of that city's largest hospital, so I heard a lot about it.)

Just like then, it'll be the simple stuff and organisation that'll get it under control. And as you noted, in many respects it's simpler than SARS.

penka
06-10-2014, 13:01

Very very possible. Well, unless some mutations will occur at some point, no?

JanC
06-10-2014, 13:14
Very very possible. Well, unless some mutations will occur at some point, no?

It would take more than "some" mutations, but you are correct.

No virus that we know of has ever mutated to the point that it changed its method of infection. And that is precisely what Ebola would need to do if it is to become airborne and super infectious. The flu, by contrast, is airborne to begin with. Small mutations there can easily make it much more deadly and resistant to existing medication. The flu virus therefore goes for the lungs, Ebola attacks different organs mainly the liver.

I fully believe that an existing virus could mutate (or be engineered) and become dangerous to the point that global air travel is too much of a liability. But Ebola would be a very poor candidate for that.

Yaks
06-10-2014, 13:26
I remember in the middle of the Sars epidemic they were selling surgical masks at the airport. And I watched people try them on and put them back. Several people doing it. There is no hope for humanity...

Armoured
06-10-2014, 14:19
Atul Gawande makes much the same point I did above: we know what to do. Most of it is basic organisation and communication and hygiene. And closing the borders is not what will stop it - in the USA, it would likely only delay things.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/ebola-epidemic-stoppable?currentPage=all

Armoured
06-10-2014, 14:34
Oh, and officials already have the power to quarantine individuals with symptoms.

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/3/6891297/why-airport-testing-wont-stop-ebola-from-coming-to-the-us

And airport testing won't stop it.

So the idea that the Bush [-]rules[/-] [-]regulations[/-] [-]press release public policy that they were too lazy to implement[/-]oh wait, just 'proposals' - is dubious.

FatAndy
06-10-2014, 16:16
I remember in the middle of the Sars epidemic they were selling surgical masks at the airport. And I watched people try them on and put them back. Several people doing it. There is no hope for humanity...
Pure idiocy. Surgical masks don't filter out viruses. To be honest, they even don't filter all bacterial spores.

Fantastika
07-10-2014, 06:13
This is Judge Jeanine and I love her cos she is offering exactly what we shud be doing. She is smart and wud crush all extremists.

http://youtu.be/OBrmTCmuPWE

I was confused, I thought you were talking about "Judge Judy." She has been around for years, probably the most popular courtroom show in the US.

Why do you like Judge Jeanine but dislike Tea Party? Judge Jeanine seems to be 100% pro-Tea Party, as far as I can see.

If you love Judge Jeanine you'll probably love Judge Judy, too:

Judge Judy Top Five Entertaining Cases!! - YouTube

TolkoRaz
07-10-2014, 15:15
Pure idiocy. Surgical masks don't filter out viruses. To be honest, they even don't filter all bacterial spores.

Just got my visa, so will be in EbolaLand next week! :)

Will try not sneeze on anybody or exchange any bodily fluids on my return from Nigeria! ;)

Remington
07-10-2014, 15:21
Just got my visa, so will be in EbolaLand next week! :)

Will try not sneeze on anybody or exchange any bodily fluids on my return from Nigeria! ;)

This might be an ideal suit for you. :idea:

http://newhavenh3.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/biohazard-suit.jpg

TolkoRaz
07-10-2014, 15:22
I think Boko Haram would like to greet me in an Orange Jump Suit! ;)

AstarD
07-10-2014, 15:26
Nigeria managed to halt the spread and they have good medical facilities, fortunately for us and you.

TolkoRaz
07-10-2014, 15:30
Nigeria managed to halt the spread and they have good medical facilities, fortunately for us and you.

Yes, they have managed so far, but I suspect it will find its way into Nigeria sooner rather than later - I think there has been about 8 confirmed deaths to date!

Anyway, I am not concerned about Ebola, it is BH who I shall rubbing noses with! ;)

AstarD
07-10-2014, 15:34
Yes, they have managed so far, but I suspect it will find its way into Nigeria sooner rather than later - I think there has been about 8 confirmed deaths to date!

Anyway, I am not concerned about Ebola, it is BH who I shall rubbing noses with! ;)
Yes, all caused by a jerk Liberian who knew he had been in contact with a contageious victim and who was supposed to be under surveillance.

TolkoRaz
07-10-2014, 15:48
Yes, all caused by a jerk Liberian who knew he had been in contact with a contageious victim and who was supposed to be under surveillance.

He probably travelled to Lagos to collect that HUGE sum of money being offered by a Nigerian! ;)

AstarD
07-10-2014, 15:53
No. He was to attend a conference in Nigeria. He worked for some big company.

He had to go to the ECOWAS convention and got a diplomatic pass to get out of Liberia. He lied to the doctors who first treated him about having been in contact with a victim, and pretty much all the people who came into contact with him once he got off the plane are dead.

FatAndy
07-10-2014, 16:02
Tolik, don't forget about disinfection!

http://novosibirsk-news.ru/material_photos/0068/4904/0.jpg

TolkoRaz
07-10-2014, 16:18
No. He was to attend a conference in Nigeria. He worked for some big company.

He had to go to the ECOWAS convention and got a diplomatic pass to get out of Liberia. He lied to the doctors who first treated him about having been in contact with a victim, and pretty much all the people who came into contact with him once he got off the plane are dead.

Not possible - it is not an airborne disease! :book:

Uncle Wally
08-10-2014, 09:41
[QUOTE=TolkoRaz;1358965]Not possible - it is not an airborne disease! :book:[/QUOTE

And what are airplanes? Seems pretty "airborne" or is that airline?

Judge
24-10-2014, 12:07
So he goes over to Guinea to help treat Ebola patients and he brings it back with him,people like him should be quarantined straight away when they return.

Ebola hits New York: Doctor who recently returned from treating patients in Africa tests POSITIVE for deadly virus - after spending SEVEN days riding the subway, bowling and traveling in Uber taxis

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2805488/Doctor-treated-Ebola-patients-Africa-rushed-New-York-hospital-103F-fever-nausea.html

rumple_stilskin
24-10-2014, 12:52
Would It be easy to get the Ebola virus? Yes, very easy.

Would it be easy for an ISIS person to get a job working at macdonalds in London or new York. Yes, very easy.

It's a certainty there will be a mass outbreak of Ebola in the west, thanks to all the warmongers and their brain washed cheerleaders.

AstarD
24-10-2014, 13:00
I hope you're wrong, Rumple. I hope you and me both are wrong.

So he goes over to Guinea to help treat Ebola patients and he brings it back with him,people like him should be quarantined straight away when they return.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2805488/Doctor-treated-Ebola-patients-Africa-rushed-New-York-hospital-103F-fever-nausea.html
I agree. It's strange to me that they closed the bowling alley out of an abundance of caution, but did nothing about the metro he rode home in.