PDA

View Full Version : what does it mean?

exyabloko
04-03-2004, 07:29
"don't push an evelope"..... please, what is the meaning of this phrase?

many thanx

exyabloko
04-03-2004, 07:31
envelope

J.D.
04-03-2004, 07:42
window or limit
window of opportuity
trying to exceed the design tolerance or some reasonable limit

kniga
04-03-2004, 09:25
Exyabloko,

J.D. is right, although technically, the expression is, "...push THE envelope" (damned articles in English! :-))

Random
04-03-2004, 10:22
From what I know and this could just be used hay !

Its from flying, when you learn to fly an aircraft, you fly in a set area "an envelope" hence when you are flying at the outer area of that envelope - you are pushing the envelope or pushing the edge of the envelope.....

Hence the twist to make it you are flying at the limit of your ability ..

exyabloko
05-03-2004, 06:39
thanx to all.
and I hate that damned articles in English, never know how to use it right[B]

J.D.
05-03-2004, 08:04
Out of context its impossible to know if it should be 'the' or 'an'. Both are possible.

exyabloko
05-03-2004, 09:42
I have other mysterious phrase from the move Bedazzled
"just cross the heart and hope to die"
What is it ?

Teutonic Deity
05-03-2004, 10:22
there is another part as well...

"cross my heart and hope to die, stick a needle in my eye"

could be more but I don't remember

exyabloko
05-03-2004, 10:34
yes, something like that.
is it make any sense?

sfjohns67
05-03-2004, 10:44
I've always heard it in conjunction with somebody making a promise, kind of an oath to the solemnity of the promise. They're making it from the heart, and they would rather die or get a needle in their eye than break the promise.

It wouldn't surprise me if there are more than just those two verses and it all turned out to be some old tavern drinking song. Sort of the medieval ages' version of "I love you, man!"

kniga
06-03-2004, 11:23
It's a rather out of fashion expression usually made by children to express their earnest promise that what they are saying is the truth. It's just another one of those odd expressions that baffle non-native English speakers. The Brits say, "...and Bob's your uncle." to express the fact that something is simple. And Russians have beauties like, " " ("Without me (being there) they got me married") to express the fact that something was out of their control. So, every language is riddled with, well, riddles! :-)

exyabloko
09-03-2004, 06:05
I am watching a lot of movies... From the "Breakfast at Tiffany's":
..."cross my elbow and kiss my... something"(not sure what)"

I guess it is similar to previous one

exyabloko
10-03-2004, 08:51
Dear all!
I dont like to be annoying, but have more difficulties with understanding some English. What is it Mock trial or Mock panel?
Lot of thanx

kniga
10-03-2004, 10:09
exyabloko,

Mock Trial is a competition between prosecution (or plaintiff) and defense teams. The teams consist of undergraduate students taking on the roles of attorneys and witnesses in a criminal or civil legal issue. The American Mock Trial Association sanctions the competition and annually provides all case materials.

earl
10-03-2004, 10:10
Mock trial can refer to two things.

The first is an organization for high school (or perhaps college) students similar to debate clubs: students put on fake trials with fake lawyers/advocates in front of a fake judge. The idea is to both enhance their debate and logic skills in an interesting medium and to give students an idea of what a real trial is like. Often, real jurists / lawyers will participate in some manner.

A mock trial can also be put on by (wealthy) defendants or prosecutors in high profile cases. The lawyers will hire people they feel will be representative of the eventual jury and test different trial strategies in front of different groups of these people in order to divine the most effective trial methods.

-earl-