PDA

View Full Version : Pereslavl-Zaleskiy

alinalbany
08-07-2014, 12:51
The birthplace of Peter the Great and where he learned to sail is on the Yaroslavl Highway. Worth checking out the the last remaining wooden ship he learned to sail in.... also, the monastery on the hill is pretty cool.... they sell all sorts of natural products. Worth a stop. There is also a pretty cool restaurant in the center of town.... cannot remember the name though.... but for Russia, the pizza was edible....

Enjoy!

Benedikt
08-07-2014, 13:48
The birthplace of Peter the Great and where he learned to sail is on the Yaroslavl Highway. Worth checking out the the last remaining wooden ship he learned to sail in.... also, the monastery on the hill is pretty cool.... they sell all sorts of natural products. Worth a stop. There is also a pretty cool restaurant in the center of town.... cannot remember the name though.... but for Russia, the pizza was edible....

Enjoy!

in the middle of the forest there is a huge cccp times shunting yard (Stalin sent things here) and train enthusiasts have restored a short piece of track and one can ride with them....

ezik
15-07-2014, 19:03
I went to Pereslavl-Zaleskiy in winter and stayed at a hotel for hunters, close to the lake. Advantage of it was that my friends and us too were able to take our dogs. Nice place. I guess you have to check the local facilities a bit, but it is definitely a good place to spend a few days.

Judge
30-07-2014, 10:57

Enjoy!

If I'm not mistaken 'the monastery on the hill' you're talking about is on the opposite side of the lake to where Peter's wooden boat is.....
To get there by car is a pain right now cos the bridge for cars in the centre of Pereslavl-Zaleskiy is closed(you can cross on foot by a small bridge) and will be open end of next month(fingers crossed)... To drive to the other side of the lake to where Nikitsky monastery is now takes an extra 20km.... but it's worth it...
If anyone makes it to Nikitsky monastery pop into the local shop they have on site...... Here they sell, fresh products,bread, yellowish smetana(best smetana I've ever tasted),freashly baked pies , Tvorog and washed down with local goats milk.....Spreading the fresh smetana on the bread was recommended by the seller,and she was right, yum yum...I was told the Monastery's got its own farm..
Best time to buy from the monastery is in the morning....
For local fish and garden veggies you can buy from the locals outside the monastery
After buying your products drive down to the lake,sit on one of the benches with tables near the lake and take in the fantastic scenery....

Further down past the Blue Stone there are places to stay, rent out Dachas,rooms.....or even better, if the weather is nice you can camp besides the lake, cost is about 250ru per tent...

For the more adventurous type there's a kite surfing windsurfing club that offers lessons.... or if you want to take things easier there's a place that rents out boats by the hour...

Kite surfing on Pleshcheevo Lake - YouTube