PDA

View Full Version : RF Citizenship and dual passports

byrneofmoscow
25-01-2008, 18:54
When one has a temporary residence, and qualifies under the "simplfied rules" for RF citizenship, can I hold my own citizenship and passport. What is the process and and is there other advice that you can give me. I am married to a Russian over three years and have a child with RF citizenship. My wife holds two passports and my child is written into my wifes passport.

Thanks

25-01-2008, 21:19
When you apply to the RF citizenship you MUST write a letter (with a Notary) saying that you "decline" your original citizenship when you will have received the RF one. You must do this notariezed letter in 2 copies: one for the application to the FMS, one that you send to your consulate in Moscow by registered letter. Then you also join the proof of sent given by the post office, to your papka for the application.

Moreover after you get the RF citizenship, Russia tells your (ex) country that you received the citizenship.

According to the law, you MAY NOT keep your former citizenship(s) after you receive the RF one.

SalTheReturn
25-01-2008, 21:46
When you apply to the RF citizenship you MUST write a letter (with a Notary) saying that you "decline" your original citizenship when you will have received the RF one. You must do this notariezed letter in 2 copies: one for the application to the FMS, one that you send to your consulate in Moscow by registered letter. Then you also join the proof of sent given by the post office, to your papka for the application.

Moreover after you get the RF citizenship, Russia tells your (ex) country that you received the citizenship.

According to the law, you MAY NOT keep your former citizenship(s) after you receive the RF one.

good guest, good.

25-01-2008, 22:06
Who is a good guest?

rumson
19-06-2008, 18:53

This is up to your home country. The UK does not recognise such letters and will bin then. The Russians will only consider you to be Russian but the Brits will always consider you to be British. You can write all the letters you like...

Even if you renounce your UK citizenship (a special process), British law states that you can apply to have it reinstated at any time if you renounced it for the purpose of obtaining another citizenship.

So fear not. I know the US and Australians have similar policies. It is in fact extremely hard to renounce American citizenship and it can take several years...

rumson
19-06-2008, 19:57

This is up to your home country. The UK does not recognise such letters and will bin then. The Russians will only consider you to be Russian but the Brits will always consider you to be British. You can write all the letters you like...

Even if you renounce your UK citizenship (a special process), British law states that you can apply to have it reinstated at any time if you renounced it for the purpose of obtaining another citizenship.

So fear not. I know the US and Australians have similar policies. It is in fact extremely hard to renounce American citizenship and it can take several years...