PDA

View Full Version : I am going to get married

Malairt
24-01-2008, 06:11
Is it better to get married in Russia or in the UK. I am a UK citizen and the lovely lady is Russian.

Malairt
24-01-2008, 06:16
My lovely lady is Russian. Should it be in the UK or Russia? What are the advantages of either? I'd really love to know. I'm a UK citizen

Edit
Yes, I've read Monkey-Girl's thread but I'm none the wiser

bambina
24-01-2008, 11:14
I suppose you'd rather ask your fiance about that. What a strange question, anyways. If you decided to make this huge step in your life, you should have decided where to make it, shoulnd't you? No offend, anyways.

Hawk
24-01-2008, 11:17
Do it in Vegas......
on the Strip....

:thumbsup:

Malairt
25-01-2008, 12:37
No offence taken.

What I meant was, are there any legal advantages or disadvantages. LOL, I wasn't asking whether I should do it or not.

Vegas, hmmm. Maybe it's just me, but that's not really my thing.

vantru
29-01-2008, 13:36
I really think it is much easier to get married in russia, if you live here, because you only need, from your country, the certificate with the apostille that you have no impediments, meaning you are not married already :verycool::verycool:

Anything else you need can be done in russia....translations, notarizations etc etc

Congrats

Malairt
30-01-2008, 22:42
Thanks. We've decided to get married in a church in Scotland (which gives us our certificate) and then have a celebration in Moscow. Whee!

Miracle77777
31-01-2008, 00:31
Thanks. We've decided to get married in a church in Scotland (which gives us our certificate) and then have a celebration in Moscow. Whee!

This is the best decision ^^

peterwalker
07-02-2008, 19:39
I don't believe in this school of thought that It is better to get married in Uk and Russia only rather iam into the school that believes that married is where you find your love

cheers

SalTheReturn
07-02-2008, 19:53
I don't believe in this school of thought that It is better to get married in Uk and Russia only rather iam into the school that believes that married is where you find your love

cheers

nonsenses you can get married for lots of reasons!!!

anyway the guy possibly wants to have a practical feedback on where it is more convenient for both partners to establish their union

Malairt
07-02-2008, 20:04
I've managed to make duplicate threads on the same subject. Apologies to the admins.

Indeed - the choice of where we get married reflects which country would be the most easy in terms of formalities, not whether we should get married at all.

07-02-2008, 22:19
nonsenses you can get married for lots of reasons!!!

anyway the guy possibly wants to have a practical feedback on where it is more convenient for both partners to establish their union

Which other reasons that love, to get married? To get a citizenship? Sal you always have bad ideas :(

Natkin
07-02-2008, 22:25
I think Russia is easier to get all the formalities done. You can consult the ZAGS or your Embassy about the docs needed. I married an expat long time ago, and he needed only a proof from his Embassy that he doesn`t have a wife back home. Maybe the rules are changed now, don`t know.

Mind you, when your papers are ready, you go to Zags to apply. And they will make you to wait for at least 30 days till your actual marriage. It has nothing to do with a cue, they give this time for you to "weight your feelings". Fun, innit?

Whatever country you choose for that special event, let me wish you a great celebration and many happy years together.

07-02-2008, 22:35
You are right but he must see how it is easy (or not) to register the marriage in his country too.

Anyway LOVE should make all possible :)

I think Russia is easier to get all the formalities done. You can consult the ZAGS or your Embassy about the docs needed. I married an expat long time ago, and he needed only a proof from his Embassy that he doesn`t have a wife back home. Maybe the rules are changed now, don`t know.

Mind you, when your papers are ready, you go to Zags to apply. And they will make you to wait for at least 30 days till your actual marriage. It has nothing to do with a cue, they give this time for you to "weight your feelings". Fun, innit?

Whatever country you choose for that special event, let me wish you a great celebration and many happy years together.

Malairt
07-02-2008, 22:42
Mmmm. That sounds good. Getting married in Russia I mean. Thanks for the best wishes.

To get married in Scotland I need

My divorce certificate (decree absolute not decree nisi)
My fiancee's divorce certificate
My fiancee's "UK visa to get married within 6 months". For which I need to "prove" that the marriage is genuine - how?
A certificate from the Home Office saying they have no objections
A marriage licence from the Registrar

The UK used to be such a nice place, with little bureaucracy. I blame Labour. Who voted them in? Oh. Me. Damn.

Edit
@ Guest - Ah, you were too quick for me. :-)
@ admin - thanks for amalgamating the 2 threads

07-02-2008, 22:56
If your future wife is Russian, can she easily get a visa to go to Scotland before getting married?!

Mmmm. That sounds good. Getting married in Russia I mean. Thanks for the best wishes.

To get married in Scotland I need
My divorce certificate (decree absolute not decree nisi)
My fiancee's divorce certificate
My fiancee's "UK visa to get married within 6 months". For which I need to "prove" that the marriage is genuine - how?
A certificate from the Home Office saying they have no objections
A marriage licence from the Registrar
The UK used to be such a nice place, with little bureaucracy. I blame Labour. Who voted them in? Oh. Me. Damn.

Edit
@ Guest - Ah, you were too quick for me. :-)
@ admin - thanks for amalgamating the 2 threads

Natkin
07-02-2008, 23:23
If your future wife is Russian, can she easily get a visa to go to Scotland before getting married?!

My friend, a British girl, got married recently to a Russian guy. They had an actual proof that the marriage is genuine- a cute baby boy. But it took a lot of time for a groom to get his visa, and they even had to postpone their marriage. She wanted to have it in Britain to make all her family to attend it. But stupid formalities almost ruined the joy of event.

They were happily married in London bout 2 months later then the prearranged date.

07-02-2008, 23:26
A good proof (even that sad) that it is easier to get a visa to Russia than a visa to England. Wodin, any comment? :)

My friend, a British girl, got married recently to a Russian guy. They had an actual proof that the marriage is genuine- a cute baby boy. But it took a lot of time for a groom to get his visa, and they even had to postpone their marriage. She wanted to have it in Britain to make all her family to attend it. But stupid formalities almost ruined the joy of event.

They were happily married in London bout 2 months later then the prearranged date.

SalTheReturn
07-02-2008, 23:32
Which other reasons that love, to get married? To get a citizenship? Sal you always have bad ideas :(

and you always pretend to read someone's else mind:bedtime:

07-02-2008, 23:56
and you always pretend to read someone's else mind:bedtime:

In mind no, but in mails, sometimes LOL :) Big brother is not only American!

Swarbs
05-03-2008, 13:40
Speaking from experience (married a Russian girl in Moscow last August) there's only one big difference. Whichever country you choose, you both need to provide certificates of no impediment, divorce certs (if applicable), birth certs etc, same same as if you're both from the same country. However, if you marry in the UK, the non UK spouse needs to get a six month 'fiance(e) visa', which is apparently a pain in the a**e to apply for. Hence we went for marriage in Russia ;)

However, the benefit of marrying in the UK is that, once you're married, the six month fiance(e) visa automatically rolls over into a two year spouse visa. If you marry in Russia and want to live in / visit the UK regularly, you'll still need to apply for the spouse visa, which is just as much effort as the finance(e) visa. So you choose to do the hard bit either before or after the wedding.

Personally, I'd go for doing it after the wedding - who want's their wedding plans ruined due to delays in the embassy! However, if you're not planning on getting married for a few months (allow at least 2-3 in case the embassy acts up), then there's not much difference, and both ways end up with the same result!

Oh, and many congratulations! ;)

S

American girl
16-04-2008, 06:17
I'm an American woman (currently living in NYC) with a Russian fiance. I'm moving to Russia in a few months, but at the request of my family, we're having our wedding in NY, after which time we'll go to live in Moscow. What is the best visa for me to come on (homestay or tourist)? If I come on a homestay or tourist visa, I presume we can immediately file our marriage certificate to get me registered to stay for at least a couple years? Any suggestions on visa type I should come on, and how we should register me when I get there would be mucho helpful. Thanks in advance.:confused:

phoenixsampras
09-05-2008, 21:46
Since when Russia started to export Male fiances?!

of course russianmalebrides.com !!!

Yes, nothing productive here...

I'm an American woman (currently living in NYC) with a Russian fiance. I'm moving to Russia in a few months, but at the request of my family, we're having our wedding in NY, after which time we'll go to live in Moscow. What is the best visa for me to come on (homestay or tourist)? If I come on a homestay or tourist visa, I presume we can immediately file our marriage certificate to get me registered to stay for at least a couple years? Any suggestions on visa type I should come on, and how we should register me when I get there would be mucho helpful. Thanks in advance.:confused:

Acoreana
18-05-2008, 05:01
Ok I must be having a senior moment or I have a ski jump attatched to my forehead...
Here's my situation...my Russian bf (I'm UK cit.) will be coming to get married in my country (Bermuda). It's easy for him to do so...come on a tourist visa and I will have made all the arragements in advance since his tourist visa is valid for only 21 days. Ok fine and dandy...we will be issued our marriage certificate in about a month (hopefully I can put a rush on this). I know I have to get all my documents translated and notorised/apostilled. I guess I will have to send them to the Russian Embassy in London to have all that done (no Russian Embassy in Bermuda). Now, my real problem is this:
After we marry, I (and possibly my child if I can take her at that time) will move to Russia with him. I will apply for residency (temporary I guess at first and then permanant or can I just apply for permanant from the start)? I am having a problem deciding which visa I will need to have while I'm in Russia waiting for my residency to come through.
I heard this process can take up to 6 months. Tourist visa..NO! It's valid only for 1 month. Private Invitation..NO! It's valid only for 3 months. Business visa ME 6 months..MAYBE! But what happens if the Embassy, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, ZAGS, etc...act stupid and make it go longer than 6 months? Business visa ME 12 months..NO! Now with the new law, one can be in Russia only for 6 months at one time and have to leave for 3 months before re-entering. Or does this not apply to those married to a Russian citizen?
So what should I do? Which visa? I was told i will be issued a temporary residency permit easily just for being married to a Russian citizen, and was given this site ("Консультант Плюс" - законодательство РФ: кодексы, законы, указы, постановления, нормативные акты. (http://www.consultant.ru)) but I cant find the info where it states this! Seems to good to be true. I have come to realise that in Russia, something is either very easy or very difficult...there is no in between. And this is in the very difficult category...Go figure!
Does anyone know what I should do or can at least point me in the right direction? I'm going nuts here!!! :bash:
Thanx!

Umutt65
18-05-2008, 08:28
Congratulations!!!!!!! You are going to get married! Thats fun! You guys have to have 2 parties in both countries....:wavey: