PDA

View Full Version : Expats in Russia, what Russian food & drink do you dream about?

Penelope
23-01-2008, 19:11
This thread inspired by the following quote from another thread:
Willy believe me... we have very good food. The food you can only dream about.

Many expats live here only for our food and drinks...
Personally, I don't "dream" of Russian food and drinks, although I do like some. I really like kholodets, and I love kvass! I also like kefir.

What about you?

Korotky Gennady
23-01-2008, 19:26
Personally, I don't "dream" of Russian food and drinks

becoz you didn't taste everything yet... :eek:

Penelope
23-01-2008, 19:45
You really are a squirt! I tried to start a postive thread about Russia using your quote, and you just post some nasty negative remark. Can you make no postive contribution?

Korotky Gennady
23-01-2008, 20:01
You really are a squirt!

You can't know that i am a squirt :nut:

Korotky Gennady
23-01-2008, 20:03
you just post some nasty negative remark.

It was not a negative remark. It was just my advise... girl.

SalTheReturn
23-01-2008, 20:05
KG, thanks for messing up another thread...:evil:

Penelope
23-01-2008, 20:08
It was not a negative remark. It was just my advise... girl.
Oh, I find being called a girl soooooo offensive :rolleyes:

Can't you comment constructively on something instead of these silly one liners?

SalTheReturn
23-01-2008, 20:15
Oh, I find being called a girl soooooo offensive :rolleyes:

Can't you comment constructively on something instead of these silly one liners?

he cannot, now that your thread was officially hijacked pls close it

nishoe
23-01-2008, 20:20
I like pelmini ok-ish. Kefir's nice too. And I love this bread called vethushka, if I am not wrong.

Penelope
23-01-2008, 20:22
What do you like to put on your pelmeni? Smetana or mayonnaise? Or maybe some other sauce. This lady in Tver taught me how to make an awesome sauce for pelmeni with onions, cabbage, krasnodarsky sauce, and mayonnaise.

Korotky Gennady
23-01-2008, 20:23

reported

Penelope
23-01-2008, 20:24
Reported for what? He didn't insult you, didn't use foul language; it wasn't spam. Why did you report that post?

Korotky Gennady
23-01-2008, 20:24

Don't hijack my talk with Penelopa... pls

Korotky Gennady
23-01-2008, 20:25
Reported for what? He didn't insult you, didn't use foul language; it wasn't spam. Why did you report that post?

Becoz this man chases me across all this forum...

Penelope
23-01-2008, 20:26
Don't hijack my talk with Penelopa... pls

Get my name right if you're going to purport to talk to me.

nishoe
23-01-2008, 20:27
What do you like to put on your pelmeni? Smetana or mayonnaise? Or maybe some other sauce. This lady in Tver taught me how to make an awesome sauce for pelmeni with onions, cabbage, krasnodarsky sauce, and mayonnaise.

I like to use mayonnaise. Sometimes chili sauce.
I like pelmini fried too. But it's too much work checking on it continuously :p

SalTheReturn
23-01-2008, 20:27
Becoz this man chases me across all this forum...

dude i just virtually chase you!

Penelope best russian food, it the tvorog....wait, wait, thats georgian in'it?

Penelope
23-01-2008, 20:29
...Penelope best russian food, it the tvorog....wait, wait, thats georgian in'it?
Tvorog goes under many names in other countries, but this thread isn't about foods that are supposedly exclusively Russian. It's about food that Russians typically eat nowadays that expats like.

nishoe
23-01-2008, 20:32
Chudo tvorozhok is tasty

Penelope
23-01-2008, 20:34
What about syrki? Those little tvorog bites usually covered in chocolate--very simlar to cheesecake :)

Korotky Gennady
23-01-2008, 20:34
Get my name right if you're going to purport to talk to me.

I'm sorry... The name 'Penelope" is "Penelopa" in russian... so i made this mistake

nishoe
23-01-2008, 20:42
Does Penelopa mean pancakes in Russian?

Rustralian
23-01-2008, 21:02
TONGUE!!!!!!

I certainly don't dream about it, but it gives me nightmares thinking about having to eat it one more time to be polite to someone that gives it to me as a special treat ...

I was at dinner with some Russian friends one time - all of whom knew that tongue was the last thing in the world I want to eat, when another person there ordered me a special dish as a surprise and yes (not knowing that I detest the stuff) .... out comes some lovely tongue that I dutifully ate while smiling and trying not to choke ...

...my friends of course thoroughly enjoyed wetting themselves with laughter while I was trying to retain my composure ...

:vomit:

Penelope
24-01-2008, 10:49
Was it at least peeled and sliced? Or just laying there in all its glory on the plate? :celebrate:

I don't mind it if it's the former, but I do have to try hard to eat it in the latter.

Rustralian
24-01-2008, 15:23
It was peeled and sliced and presented very nicely, but you just know that not long ago some animal was using that to lick their butt!

:eek:

Korotky Gennady
24-01-2008, 19:27
It was peeled and sliced and presented very nicely, but you just know that not long ago some animal was using that to lick their butt!

:eek:

:confused: it's strange... you are ready to eat an animal butt but not ready to eat the tongue only becoz that this tongue was licking it... :eek:

Bels
24-01-2008, 19:59
This thread inspired by the following quote from another thread:
Personally, I don't "dream" of Russian food and drinks, although I do like some. I really like kholodets, and I love kvass! I also like kefir.

What about you?

How about shshee and borsh soup, some raw smoked fish, washed down with a bottle of vodka :) Kefir?? plain yoghurt ???

Back on topic :)

Korotky Gennady
24-01-2008, 20:24
How about shshee and borsh soup, some raw smoked fish, washed down with a bottle of vodka :) Kefir?? plain yoghurt ???

Back on topic :)

And the best red and black caviar in the world... Don't forget about it.

Bels
24-01-2008, 20:55
And the best red and black caviar in the world... Don't forget about it.

That's if you can buy the black caviar now, where is it.

Korotky Gennady
24-01-2008, 21:53
That's if you can buy the black caviar now, where is it.

in Kremlin

Hawk
25-01-2008, 08:36
Never ate anything close to a fish soup before coming to Russia,,,,
but I actually found that it is delicious.. I have always have fish grilled or fried or baked in foil over a fire...

I was once offerred potato pelmeni, in a city in siberia, no salt or garnish, just boiled potato pelmeni, it came close to most vile thing i have eaten, only just above liver, kidney and celery...

The sound of fried pelmeni is an idea i will try,,,,, with a filling of mince meat onion, tomato spices, even a little cheese..

Olenka19
25-01-2008, 11:21
Sweet pepper stuffed with minced meat. And golubtsi (stuffed cabbage roll)- minced meat covered by a cabbage leaf and stewed in sauce. And there are also lazy golubtsi when cut cabbage mixed with minced meat. Oh, everything is so tasty!!! And I am on a diet!:o

Bels
25-01-2008, 11:36
As a quick snack I quite like the Russian pie, made with bread rather patry, and filled with meat, fruit or vegatables. Although it's sometim disappointing to discover that they forgot to put the filling in, or rather that they were stingy with the filling.

Penelope
25-01-2008, 12:39
You eat Russians as a quick snack? :eek:

Korotky Gennady
25-01-2008, 14:09

Hmm... :eek: Don't you know that Bels is our cannibal ?

matlockk
25-01-2008, 16:02
Whilst in Kiev rather than Russia, all winter I dream of Okroshka soup, on a veranda, in a Kiev restaurant on a hot evening.

Penelope
25-01-2008, 16:10
What about Solyanka? I like it. How about you?

Another thing I never had until I came to Russia--Dill flavored potato chips. And Estrella makes the best ones.

elis
25-01-2008, 16:54

Another thing I never had until I came to Russia--Dill flavored potato chips. And Estrella makes the best ones.

Also seen, mushroom and crab flavored potato chips. What the . . . ?? Haven't tried yet. Who'd a thunk?

Penelope
25-01-2008, 17:18
There was a caviar flavored one out last year. I don't know what happened to it.

elis
25-01-2008, 18:25
There was a caviar flavored one out last year. I don't know what happened to it.

Get OUT!!

elis
25-01-2008, 18:29
One of the first things I had when I got here is, what I call, a Moscow burrito. Got it from the chicken stand down the street. have no idea what it's really called. But has cabbage, dill, mystery meat--chicken? pork?--pickles, maybe, and some special sauce. Thought that was yummy.

Not so sure it was great for the intestines... But...whatever. Still good!!

Penelope
25-01-2008, 18:46
That's a Shaverma (in St. Pete) or Showerma (in Moscow). It's basically a Gyros, but instead of pita bread, they use something akin to a tortilla wrap, which is called Lavash.

Surfsup37
25-01-2008, 19:33
I really like both the "wild garlic" long green stem, and the marinated garlic with Vodka. I think all of the Russian soups, that I have had have been really good.

I hope that Russia and Georgia make up, because I miss the Georgian wine and their mineral water. Georgian food is my favorite food, spicy, and hot with lots of favor.

That's a Shaverma (in St. Pete) or Showerma (in Moscow).

I have only had it in a couple of spots, but it is really good. However, the Moscow government has been warning everyone about their poor food quality. That being said, I haven't been sick yet.

Bels
25-01-2008, 19:42
Hmm... :eek: Don't you know that Bels is our cannibal ?

Corrected, damn keyboard when you're in a hurry out. Don't buy a roverbook notebook portable computer. Some of the casings need to be pressed firmly.

Willy
25-01-2008, 20:50

I think it just a figure of speech, I like to take my time when I do, make sure I've satisfied her, lets say appetit.

Are you all so hungry here? Threads on food are very popular.

StBasil
25-01-2008, 20:52
some of the most delicious dishes i ever had are the following:

fried tongue and mushroom
pirogi with potato
borsjtj and solyanka
pelmeni

add horseradish, smetana and a korona or baltika and you have food worth dying for!

kotleta po-kievsky is great too!

sharlotka is nice for sweets

btw, estrella crisps are originally from sweden.

Lady Marmalade
25-01-2008, 20:58
Chechil. I adore Chechil as a snack food!!!! :drink:

Bels
25-01-2008, 21:23
Youre not related to our member dick, are you willy? Shsh! be quiete Brits.

elis
25-01-2008, 21:36
some of the most delicious dishes i ever had are the following:

fried tongue and mushroom
pirogi with potato
borsjtj and solyanka
pelmeni

add horseradish, smetana and a korona or baltika and you have food worth dying for!

Add the horseradish, etc. to any of them? Also, what are smetana, korona, and baltika.

Fried tongue and mushroom I think I could do without. But would love to know what the last two on the list are. (Remember, I'm a new arrival and know nada.)

Anything with horseradish has got to be good though.

Bels
25-01-2008, 21:44
Add the horseradish, etc. to any of them? Also, what are smetana, korona, and baltika.

Fried tongue and mushroom I think I could do without. But would love to know what the last two on the list are. (Remember, I'm a new arrival and know nada.)

Anything with horseradish has got to be good though.

Is the post writer British? Horse radish sauce is a hot white paste used as a "sauce" normally to a roast beef traditional British dinner. But delicious with anything.

Smetana I don't know, but Assume it's a beer the same as Korona and Balteeka, so washed down with a Russian piva.

Don't I know my stuff in Russia? :)

Willy
25-01-2008, 22:04
Youre not related to our member dick, are you willy? Shsh! be quiete Brits.

You calling me a dick Bels? You like to insult people out in the open forum. You want to warn Brits about me. I think people here should be warn about you. I think you should apologize to me and quick!

elis
25-01-2008, 22:47
Is the post writer British? Horse radish sauce is a hot white paste used as a "sauce" normally to a roast beef traditional British dinner. But delicious with anything.

Smetana I don't know, but Assume it's a beer the same as Korona and Balteeka, so washed down with a Russian piva.

Don't I know my stuff in Russia? :)

I know what horseradish is, silly. It was the other stuff I was unclear about. Although, have looked it up and now know that "smetana" is a type of sour cream/creme fraiche. And indeed Balteeka looks as though it is a beer, so assuming your other assumption is correct as well.

Thanks for trying to throw me for a loop on piva. But I managed to figure that out too. :)

Bels
25-01-2008, 23:22
Thanks Elis, and it's nice to see that this is the busiest and friendliest, and sometimes seriously argumentive site in Russia. Boy! is it the busiest and most interesting sit in Russia. Why on eart would have ever want to disbeliieve that. It's a great forum with no rivals :)

is4fun
27-01-2008, 01:11
When I sit down for a major Russian feed I like to start with a little red caviar accompanied with a few shots of good vodka to get my appetite started. A bowl of borsht or salyanka with a few shots of vodka and some delicious black bread, always fresh and only 2% air. In the spring time I usually go for the okroshka prepared with kvas. Now comes what I always dream about, the main course. The main course consists of about 20 different salads (olivie, carrot and garlic, beet and garlic and herring in a big fu**ing coat for example, no, I have nothing against mayonaise) to galupsi with sour cream, perogies with sour cream, plimeni with sour cream, and chicken, pork or beef shashlik coupled with a few shots of good vodka. Russian ready potatoes are especially well prepared to my liking. There are always side dishes like smoked salmon, sturgeon, sproti, beef tongue and pickled everything. In the summer fresh garden vegatables like crispy cukes, small onions, radishes, dill, cilantro, etc. The homemade pickled tomatoes are especially welcomed if anybody who is Russian on this site would welcome a very appreciative Expat over for original Russian food and interesting conversation. :) Of course a few more shots of vodka and always more great conversation. At the end of the meal most dishes always remain on the table for the slow eaters and the one's who wish for a few more shots of vodka with закуски (snacks).

Now the dessert; traditional tea utilizing the samovar and an assortment of homemade cakes with fresh berries and all those sweets that remind me of the Hippie movement in the '60's when everything natural and unprocessed was right. And throughout this feed? Conversation that is interesting, usually intellectual, warm, delightful and stimulating to a foreigner, never accompanied with head banging music or loud tv in the background but only a welcomed vocal (song) from the guests... acapella :-) Champaign is always available and considered an alternative to fruit juice. :) I love Russian food, hospitality and freindship! :)))

blueblue
27-01-2008, 04:40
Honestly, Russian food doesn't float my boat, but I believe that is more cultural than anything else - just not what I grew up with.

However, eating and drinking with Russians in a festive atmosphere is a wonderful experience!!!

I hope to one day learn enough Russian to make a proper 3-paragraph toast without insulting someone's mother .. :p

Cheers, E

Transparent Theatre
27-01-2008, 12:29
Kamchatka Crab! The most delicious treat you can eat that's not loaded with fat, cholestorol or carbs :)

And raki! (crayfish). Either in their shells to have with beer, or bought shelled (any supermarket) and served over some mixed salad leaves (baby spinach, rucola, lollo rosso?) with some balsamic vinegar and scattered with pine-nuts?

Or seledochka! Mmmm, I like the kind marinated in tomato sauce - extra-tasty, low in calories, all that beneficial omega-3 fish oil without any greasy taste, no carbs. As a snack... in a salad.. for lunch... or on the side with beer? I personally like seledochka with a wee dram of whisky, a very nice late supper :)

Bels
27-01-2008, 12:35
Honestly, Russian food doesn't float my boat, but I believe that is more cultural than anything else - just not what I grew up with.

However, eating and drinking with Russians in a festive atmosphere is a wonderful experience!!!

I hope to one day learn enough Russian to make a proper 3-paragraph toast without insulting someone's mother .. :p

Cheers, E

Now, that's one post I applaud. It's the atmosphere with Russians.

is4fun
27-01-2008, 21:33
Kamchatka Crab! The most delicious treat you can eat that's not loaded with fat, cholestorol or carbs :)

And raki! (crayfish). Either in their shells to have with beer, or bought shelled (any supermarket) and served over some mixed salad leaves (baby spinach, rucola, lollo rosso?) with some balsamic vinegar and scattered with pine-nuts?

Or seledochka! Mmmm, I like the kind marinated in tomato sauce - extra-tasty, low in calories, all that beneficial omega-3 fish oil without any greasy taste, no carbs. As a snack... in a salad.. for lunch... or on the side with beer? I personally like seledochka with a wee dram of whisky, a very nice late supper :)

I totally forgot. Thank you for reminding me. The crab is absolutely wonderful. In NA it is called Alaskan King Crab. Sure beats the pizza, pasta and fast food I was used to. ...not to mention the taco chips and assortment of sauces.

elis
29-01-2008, 18:33
When I sit down for a major Russian feed I like to start with a little red caviar accompanied with a few shots of good vodka to get my appetite started. A bowl of borsht or salyanka with a few shots of vodka and some delicious black bread, always fresh and only 2% air. In the spring time I usually go for the okroshka prepared with kvas. Now comes what I always dream about, the main course. The main course consists of about 20 different salads (olivie, carrot and garlic, beet and garlic and herring in a big fu**ing coat for example, no, I have nothing against mayonaise) to galupsi with sour cream, perogies with sour cream, plimeni with sour cream, and chicken, pork or beef shashlik coupled with a few shots of good vodka. Russian ready potatoes are especially well prepared to my liking. There are always side dishes like smoked salmon, sturgeon, sproti, beef tongue and pickled everything. In the summer fresh garden vegatables like crispy cukes, small onions, radishes, dill, cilantro, etc. The homemade pickled tomatoes are especially welcomed if anybody who is Russian on this site would welcome a very appreciative Expat over for original Russian food and interesting conversation. :) Of course a few more shots of vodka and always more great conversation. At the end of the meal most dishes always remain on the table for the slow eaters and the one's who wish for a few more shots of vodka with закуски (snacks).

Now the dessert; traditional tea utilizing the samovar and an assortment of homemade cakes with fresh berries and all those sweets that remind me of the Hippie movement in the '60's when everything natural and unprocessed was right. And throughout this feed? Conversation that is interesting, usually intellectual, warm, delightful and stimulating to a foreigner, never accompanied with head banging music or loud tv in the background but only a welcomed vocal (song) from the guests... acapella :-) Champaign is always available and considered an alternative to fruit juice. :) I love Russian food, hospitality and freindship! :)))

My mouth is watering. I would need to switch the vodka to wine, but other than that...
Still haven't had borsht or found black bread. And will now have to go look up all those other goodies you listed and which I have no clue as to what they are.

elis
01-02-2008, 19:00

Dill flavored potato chips. And Estrella makes the best ones.

So today I was craving junk food. And as I was in the store, I thought about this thread and saw the Estrella chips, and said to myself. Gotta try them.

Choices were scallion, onion, or bacon. Bacon and potato chips, two of my favorite bad-for-you foods all rolled into one. How bad can they be?

BAD! Really BAD! If you'll excuse the completely unladylike, TMI comment here, but I've been belching up the nastiest taste since I ate 3 of them 4 hours ago.

I gave one to my dog, too. She thought they were great. But she's a lab--they think everything's great--except celery.

So this is one Russian (okay, Scandinavian but found in Russia) food I will never "dream" about.

Penelope
01-02-2008, 19:06
Try the dill ones if you can find them. They're excellent. Also the cheese and onion, and the onion and cream cheese ones are really good. A few years ago they came out with a plain salted chip (who'da thunk it?) and it was soooooo good--tasted like butter.

Hmmmmm. Looking at this post might make one think I'm a bit of a fried potato junkie. Don't be fooled! :9451: I can go several hours without eating a single chip. :mml:

kirk10071
01-02-2008, 19:20
You know, I had сырники for the first time a couple of weeks ago with a really sweet sugary sauce on them and it was really yummy and I was glad I was in Russia. That's the Russian food *I* dream of. The food here might not be what I grew up on, but if I had to live on Russian food forever it might not be the worst think ever. And сырники every day...

elis
01-02-2008, 19:46
You know, I had сырники for the first time a couple of weeks ago with a really sweet sugary sauce on them and it was really yummy and I was glad I was in Russia. That's the Russian food *I* dream of. The food here might not be what I grew up on, but if I had to live on Russian food forever it might not be the worst think ever. And сырники every day...

So unfair to just give us the Cyrillic version. What does that spell?? Srineke???? Help?

kirk10071
01-02-2008, 19:51
point taken. Sorry.

syrniki.

They are made with tvorog and flour and are really tasty. Google them in images, but block and copy the cyrillic word and google it instead of the one with Roman letters. You get better pictures. Yum Yum!!

Maybe I will make syrniki my new avatar...

bluemidnight
01-02-2008, 20:06
Also seen, mushroom and crab flavored potato chips. What the . . . ?? Haven't tried yet. Who'd a thunk?

The crab flavored potato chips are my new favorite. I was very reluctant to try them, but they're excellent. =)

I've been trying new foods as often as possible since arriving here. I like the winter fruit that looks sort of like a bell pepper, called a Hormah (spelled phonetically in English, no idea what the Russian spelling is).

Other favorites so far - potato salad with peas and mushrooms, beet salad, borscht, smoked fish, caucasian wraps that look like burittos, and oh! the chocolate and vodka. So much better than at home.

My boyfriend was really excited to have me try the caviar here, and I was almost embarrassed to admit I didn't like it. (Only had the red kind so far).

elis
01-02-2008, 20:21
The crab flavored potato chips are my new favorite. I was very reluctant to try them, but they're excellent. =)

I've been trying new foods as often as possible since arriving here. I like the winter fruit that looks sort of like a bell pepper, called a Hormah (spelled phonetically in English, no idea what the Russian spelling is).

Other favorites so far - potato salad with peas and mushrooms, beet salad, borscht, smoked fish, caucasian wraps that look like burittos, and oh! the chocolate and vodka. So much better than at home.

My boyfriend was really excited to have me try the caviar here, and I was almost embarrassed to admit I didn't like it. (Only had the red kind so far).

No more potato chips. Still dying from the bacon ones! OHHHHH... Gawd help me.

MissAnnElk
01-02-2008, 20:27
The sour cream! Dios mio. I've never had anything like it. Frankly, the meat has been very good. The eggs come from happy chickens. The breads are why I'm not wearing my favorite jeans.

But I gotta say that while I like many of the Russian traditional dishes, they seem like sides or tapas to me. A thousand little delicious nibbles. But no main courses. Okay, cabbage rolls are a main dish, and a favorite. But even the pelmini and other dumpling dishes seem like a small nosh. I guess I only want a modest portion.

I have to also admit getting screwed twice on cakes. I've twice now had cakes that no one wanted to finish. Looked lovely but no one, not even the kids, wanted to finish a serving, let alone the whole cake.

Now if I had a Lab . . .

bluemidnight
01-02-2008, 20:36
The sour cream! Dios mio. I've never had anything like it. Frankly, the meat has been very good. The eggs come from happy chickens. The breads are why I'm not wearing my favorite jeans.

ooo - I'd forgotten about the sour cream.:SwoonLoveSmiley: MUCH better than in the states.

Same with the meats. I used to be semi-vegetarian (no red meat) because red meat in the States would make me sick. I've tried it here, and haven't had any problems. My boyfriend's grandmother (former doctor) said it's probably because they don't use so many chemicals on the food here. Whatever the reason, I'm just glad to be able to eat steak and hamburger again. I missed it.

elis
01-02-2008, 20:43
because they don't use so many chemicals on the food here.

BINGO!!

Penelope
04-03-2008, 18:37
As you say, the cakes are masterpieces--until you actually taste them.