PDA

View Full Version : Don't want to scare anyone but apparently we're all going to die on January 29th

Len Ganley Stance
23-01-2008, 00:00
Be warned, the TU24 Asteroid (http://www.tu24.org/) is on its way.............

1_Y6L9-VmK8

elis
23-01-2008, 11:28
Thanks! Now I've got something to look forward to. :)

MissAnnElk
23-01-2008, 11:54
No need to look for all the papers I need to file taxes. That's a load off.

Penelope
23-01-2008, 12:43
What's the point in this kind of (actually very interesting) film? They ask us in it if we are "ready for the impossible". No. Who is? What would one do? Where would one go to be ready?

Len Ganley Stance
23-01-2008, 18:21
What's the point in this kind of (actually very interesting) film? They ask us in it if we are "ready for the impossible". No. Who is? What would one do? Where would one go to be ready?

I shall max-out all my credit cards, go to somewhere like the Pushkin Cafe where I shall run up a huge bill and hope that the asteroid hits and wipes us all out. Either that or I'll probably go into work as usual.

TD
23-01-2008, 19:31
I shall max-out all my credit cards, go to somewhere like the Pushkin Cafe

I'll be down at Pushkin square selling these --->

http://expat.ru/images/tu24hat.gif

Len Ganley Stance
23-01-2008, 21:01
I'll be down at Pushkin square selling these --->

http://expat.ru/images/tu24hat.gif

^^^^^^^^^

Best Post Of The Week.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

pjw
23-01-2008, 23:26

:wavey:Just stay right here Penelope on the forum where informed people get more informed:wavey:

:smokin:Especially next Tuesday:smokin:Am gonna make it a whole day megaforumarathon:smokin:

pjw
23-01-2008, 23:31
No need to look for all the papers I need to file taxes. That's a load off.

:farout:And looks like I can stay at home and miss my dentist appointment.............again:drink::farout:

:rasta:We all think weīre cool and have seen it all. Well Tuesday weīre all gonna get seriously stoned:rasta:

trebor
24-01-2008, 06:28
i'll cancel the milk.

pjw
28-01-2008, 19:56
UPDATE. So everyone written their wills? Well donīt bother COS THEREīS NOT GONNA BE NOBODY TO READ THEM! Any survivors, letīs stay in contact thru forum pls:rasta:

TGP
28-01-2008, 22:01
So, tomorrow.......... Just in case, I love you all!!!

pjw
28-01-2008, 22:35
And, just in case, any last, you know, who should I give my last cents to, thoughts etc. PM me BECAUSE I HAVE THE DETAILS of a place to give money to the poor. :rasta:

Thankyou one and all and I can help you. Just send me your bank details etc I can give you a receipt for tax purposes. Just give me a piece of paper: I promise you.:rasta:

Transparent Theatre
28-01-2008, 23:05
Congratulations! We were due for one of these...

... 2008 is the 100th Anniversary of the Tunguska Event ;)

http://www.cynical-c.com/archives/bloggraphics/kulik1.jpg

pjw
28-01-2008, 23:27
Congratulations! We were due for one of these...

... 2008 is the 100th Anniversary of the Tunguska Event ;)

http://www.cynical-c.com/archives/bloggraphics/kulik1.jpg

Wishing you the same dude or dudette. Hoping you wake up in a good mood. Because, the morning, thatīs when the cometīs coming! After the comet comes:confused:....hmmmm:rasta:

Best wishes everybody. Sweet dreams. What you gonna dream about yeah? Better be good cos is gonna be our last. What is important? Maybe thereīs a forum in the next life:rasta:

blueblue
29-01-2008, 05:27
It's still January 28 in the US as of the writing of this ... 18:30 or so.

Many thanks for the excuse to drink excessively for the next 6 hours or so!!!

Cheers, E

pjw
29-01-2008, 10:19
It's still January 28 in the US as of the writing of this ... 18:30 or so.

Many thanks for the excuse to drink excessively for the next 6 hours or so!!!

Cheers, E

What time is this thing actually expected to hit again?:rasta:

ezik
29-01-2008, 10:53
Erhm... can anyone indicate, like, a proper time and place? I'm, like, really busy.

Penelope
29-01-2008, 14:41
Progress report?

Mittens
29-01-2008, 14:45
Don't mean to spoil the party but......

Asteroid will swing by, but won't stop

By ALICIA CHANG, AP Science Writer
Thu Jan 24, 10:33 PM ET

LOS ANGELES - An asteroid at least 500 feet long will make a rare close pass by Earth next week, but there is no chance of an impact, scientists reported Thursday.

The object, known as 2007 TU24, is expected to whiz by Earth on Tuesday with its closest approach at 334,000 miles, or about 1.4 times the distance of Earth to the moon.

The nighttime encounter should be bright enough for medium-sized telescopes to get a glimpse, said Don Yeomans, manager of the Near-Earth Object Program Office at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, which tracks potentially dangerous space rocks.

However, next week's asteroid pass "has no chance of hitting, or affecting, Earth," Yeomans said.

An actual collision of a similar-sized object with Earth occurs on average every 37,000 years.

Spotted last October by the NASA-funded Catalina Sky Survey in Arizona, 2007 TU24 is estimated to be between 500 feet and 2,000 feet long. The next time an asteroid this size will fly this close to Earth will be in 2027.

Scientists plan to point the Goldstone radar telescope in California and the Arecibo radar telescope in Puerto Rico at the asteroid and observe its path before and after its closest approach to Earth. Researchers will use instruments to measure its rotation and composition.

The 2007 TU24 rendezvous comes a day before another asteroid is projected to pass close to Mars.

Scientists have effectively ruled out a collision between the Red Planet and the asteroid 2007 WD5, estimating it will pass at a distance of more than 16,000 miles from the Martian surface. Initial observations of the Mars-bound asteroid put the odds of an impact at 1 in 25, but scientists later dropped the odds to 1 in 10,000.

Penelope
29-01-2008, 14:55
If you watch the video clip, it makes it clear that no impact will happen. However, there's something with positive and negative electrical charges that could cause a Tunguska-like explosion in the Earth's atmosphere (and since this asteroid is exponentially larger than the one that caused the Tunguska blast, the effect would also be exponentially larger).

Benedikt
29-01-2008, 15:59
but in 30 days my visum expired and i have paid already for a new one and an airline ticket and the hotel reservation.
and all that for nothing now, i hope NOOOOOOOOOOOT

Mittens
29-01-2008, 16:16
If you watch the video clip, it makes it clear that no impact will happen. However, there's something with positive and negative electrical charges that could cause a Tunguska-like explosion in the Earth's atmosphere (and since this asteroid is exponentially larger than the one that caused the Tunguska blast, the effect would also be exponentially larger).

Hi Penelope,

The articles states: "has no chance of hitting, or affecting, Earth," ?

Fingers and toes crossed!

Willy
29-01-2008, 16:56
You mean I have this awful hangover and no money left and we're going to live?

Penelope
29-01-2008, 16:59
Yeah, I also made sure I washed the dishes and made the bed before I left for work! Dangit!

Len Ganley Stance
29-01-2008, 17:27
Yeah, I also made sure I washed the dishes and made the bed before I left for work! Dangit!

I'm hiding under the bed. Better safe than sorry.

That's my bed before anyone here goes off on a tangent.