PDA

View Full Version : Receiving Mail in Russia

FruityPebbles
06-06-2014, 12:32
I have some questions about receiving mail in Russia. Thus far, I have had very limited success and so I am wondering if there is anything I can do to improve the situation.

Like all long-term tourists, I am registered with the authorities. Is there anything else I need to do to receive mail at my address? From the Russian postal service or from private couriers?

If I were to instruct someone trying to send me mail domestically and wanted to use a private courier, do you have any recommendations?

If I were to instruct someone trying to send me mail from outside of Russia and wanted to use a private courier, do you have any recommendations?

Any other tips or advice you have would be appreciated. I KNOW MY MAIL IS OUT THERE SOMEWHERE! ...and most likely already in Russia...

Thanks,
FruityPebbles
:9451:

RIKO
06-06-2014, 12:40
My experience of receiving unregistered mail in Moscow is 50:50 at best. Probably 30% goes missing (mostly bank statements coming from overseas), never to be seen again. It's seldom late. If it's registered then the delivery record is 100%.

FruityPebbles
06-06-2014, 12:54
My experience of receiving unregistered mail in Moscow is 50:50 at best. Probably 30% goes missing (mostly bank statements coming from overseas), never to be seen again. It's seldom late. If it's registered then the delivery record is 100%.

By registration, I meant the government process you must go through as a foreigner within 7 days of arriving at a location in Russia. By this I assume the authorities (including mail service) know I live at this address.

I do not know if the mail I am missing is registered or unregistered in that sense of the meaning. Probably a mix of both. I am in Kirov, so I do not know how that will compare to Moscow. Thanks.

RIKO
06-06-2014, 13:10
By registration, I meant the government process you must go through as a foreigner within 7 days of arriving at a location in Russia. By this I assume the authorities (including mail service) know I live at this address. I mean registered mail. Nothing to do with registration with the immigration authorities. I very much doubt there is any link between the immigration authorities and the post office.

Benedikt
06-06-2014, 19:40
you get an advice in your postbox. an ubiquitous little beige slip of paper. if you have lots of junk mail/advertising in your box that paper might easily get lost. when not checking one by one. after about a week (if you do not get your mail) you get another slip. than the mail is returned to sender. or destroyed or whatever instructions are there on the envelope.
also, you have to check WHERE that piece of mail of yours is. it might be not always your -logical close by- post office. but one that is 1km away (happens to me regularly).
receiving registered mail at the post office you need your passport or anything that you have with a picture that will identify you.
these information you have to fill on to the back of your post office slip and they check VERY carefully.
using -normal- Russian post? well in the age of e mail we correspond mainly by computer but there is still snail mail. and nice to get it. so far in 23 years here, nothing was ever lost.
but if you think you want and need it, let them send and you also send, important mail by registered mail and don't forget to write on airmail....
by the way it is not always the MAIL /POST OFFICE that is to blame. regularly we read here in the news that there is AGAIN a huge backlog at the customs warehouse where all mails and parcels are checked....

Capman
06-06-2014, 23:50
I agree with Ben ... and I ask those who send me mail (usually through the post office) to tape an extra Russian Version along with the English version of the address in a separate area of the box. The official address is in English because the U.S. customs wants it that way. So far I've only lost one letter (which didn't have the extra Russian version) out of several packages.

vossy7
07-06-2014, 00:48
Also agree with Ben.....and sorry I know it's ad nauseam ...I have also been here for >23 years and have never lost a letter ....., I know Ben has suggested most things......how strong is the lock on your post box near your entrance?

Benedikt
07-06-2014, 05:48
Also agree with Ben.....and sorry I know it's ad nauseam ...I have also been here for >23 years and have never lost a letter ....., I know Ben has suggested most things......how strong is the lock on your post box near your entrance?

the box (communal one) is fairly new, made of good steel and ours is in perfect working condition and always locked. AND i am on VERY good terms with our mail lady, a box of chocolates once in a while and a nice good morning when i see here seem to be appreciated.:rolleyes:

FruityPebbles
07-06-2014, 12:20

Unfortunately not a very strong mailbox lock at my apartment complex. However, I would be hesitant to claim the mail was stolen as I haven't seen any evidence of tampering. Even though I presently just renting a room, the apartment owner hasn't reported anything either. Thanks.

frankjohn2
17-06-2014, 01:59
Another option would be to arrange mail delivery through Westpost.

They have offices in SPB and Moscow. For 600 rubles a month they will assign you a PO Box number in Finland. Their courier retrieves the mail from Finland daily.

This service is very reliable.

RIKO
17-06-2014, 05:07
Their courier retrieves the mail from Finland daily. After collection, do they deliver to a Moscow address, and does one collect the mail somewhere in Moscow (or maybe only in St Petersburg? See website: http://westpost.ru)?

frankjohn2
17-06-2014, 09:31
You'd have to explore their services on their website or by contacting them but as far as I know .... you can collect the mail at their local office (in either SPB or Moscow) or, if you have a higher volume of incoming mail, you can have it brought to you for an additional fee.

Go to the services and prices page on their website and download the first file.

Or better yet, contact them. :)