PDA

View Full Version : Fallout from the Serbian Presidential Elections

Transparent Theatre
21-01-2008, 11:23
Background note: The position of President in Serbia is primarily an honorary one, that of symbolic figurehead, and with little actual power.

Serbians have voted for a President - the winner has to gain at least 50% of the votes, which no candidate achieved, so it goes forward to another round with all the minority candidates now eliminated.

But the highest-scoring candidate was the Nationalist, who threatens to unseat pro-EU pro-Western President Tadic, who is standing for re-election.

How far has the EU threat - "no membership unless you allow us to dismantle your country and detach Kosovo from it" antagonised the population and backed them into a corner? Is an ultra-nationalist anti-EU Serbia what they really want, or is this just a middle-finger protest gesture to an insulting offer?

Of course, the Western media are blaming Russia. But then again, the Western media blame Russia for the failure of the Iraq War, the sports results, the lack of chocolate on chocolate biscuits these days, and the weather ;)

blueblue
29-01-2008, 05:21
I blame Russia for my hangovers! Why not?

Cheers, E

:11158:

Willy
29-01-2008, 07:09
I blame Russia for having too many beautiful women! Who are easy to talk to.
It's hard to concentrate or get much done.

Wodin
01-02-2008, 01:18
How far has the EU threat - "no membership unless you allow us to dismantle your country and detach Kosovo from it" antagonised the population and backed them into a corner? Is an ultra-nationalist anti-EU Serbia what they really want, or is this just a middle-finger protest gesture to an insulting offer?

Why is the EU's position wrong? The EU is a club that has its own rules, made by its members. The EU supports the right to self determination. Most Kosovars want independence from Serbia. The EU therefore supports this independence. If Serbia wants to join the club it must accept the rules. If the rules are not to Serbia's liking then nothing and nobody is forcing Serbia to join the club.

Incidentally, and for the avoidance of doubt, I'm far from being a supporter of the EU. I think that my country should exit the EU asap.