PDA

View Full Version : How to become an expatriate?

alex d.
29-02-2004, 06:54
I am an American who was born in Russia and speaks fluent Russian. I have a good MBA from a good business school and have been working for over five years for a Fortune 500 corporation in business development and finance positions. My current employer is not interested in increasing its presence in Russia. I, on the other hand, want to move to Russia as an expatriate for an American corporation. Since most of the people visiting this place successfully achieved my current goal, I think this is the best place to ask the question and learn some wisdom from those who have been there and have done that. So, how do I become and expatriate?

Petite
29-02-2004, 23:16
Funny! Russia is becoming popular among the foreigners! I think that the best and the fast way is to be marry with the Russian girl :)

Random
01-03-2004, 10:11
Get yourself in touch with local headhunters who will be able to look at your CV and advise what there is out there in your field of expertise.

Try in no order at all and all off the top of my head; Antal, Staffwell, Whirlwind & Morgan Hunt - Yahoo searches should give you address, email etc.

Enjoy !

:)

vaska
01-03-2004, 12:15
Since your company is not interested in getting into Russia and quite a lot of people in senior positions come here as transfers from foreign offices, I suggest you look into companies and investment banks that do business in Russia already and let them know that you want to go to the Moscow office when contacting them.

lyndsay
01-03-2004, 15:48
Send your resume to me: dm@staffwell.com

www.staffwell.com

D:

alex d.
07-03-2004, 09:29
Originally posted by Petite
Funny! Russia is becoming popular among the foreigners! I think that the best and the fast way is to be marry with the Russian girl :)

Petite,
I appreciate the original advice. I am not sure that it is what I am looking for at this point. Thank you. Alex

alex d.
07-03-2004, 09:30
Originally posted by Petite

Random.
I appreciate your advice and the names of the agencies. Thank you. Alex.

alex d.
07-03-2004, 09:30
Originally posted by vaska
Since your company is not interested in getting into Russia and quite a lot of people in senior positions come here as transfers from foreign offices, I suggest you look into companies and investment banks that do business in Russia already and let them know that you want to go to the Moscow office when contacting them.

Vaska,
Would you recommend contacting their Moscow offices or their locations in the US? Could you please recommend any specifics?
Thank you,
Alex

alex d.
07-03-2004, 09:31
Originally posted by lyndsay
Send your resume to me: dm@staffwell.com

www.staffwell.com

D:

Lyndsay,

I sent you my resume from my Yahoo address as a MS Word attachment. Please send me your feedback and advice on how to proceed from here.

Thank you,

Alex

alex d.
07-03-2004, 09:40
All,

I appreciate all of your responses and I apologize for the delay with my responses to you (I just came back from a business trip to the East Coast).

Thank you,

Alex

Jet
07-03-2004, 13:36
Alex,
contact local offices of headhunters in Moscow, write your CV in both Russian and English, the best way is to stay in Moscow for a couple of weeks to run thru the interviews. That's what I did, eventually I had to use my connections.

Don't hope for american wages, don't forget, to have an expat is an expensive luxury for the company, and there are enough local MBA's who speak English. Still there are enough companies to go around and the big bosses appreciate if their people have the western work experience.