PDA

View Full Version : High electrical bill

Carlj
19-05-2014, 12:45
Hello

Wanted to check if anyone else have experienced weird electrical bills?
From November - March my electrical bill have been between 1500rub up to 7500rub(!!)

Total кВч for February was 2678кВч, which is enough to power a small factory. other months its been between 500 - 2000кВч, but atleast 3 months have been way over 1200кВч

Ive spoken to my landlord, and she suspected that someone was stealing. Plausible idea, but since she was showed that the счетник is behind bars and locked she straight away ruled that out, blaming me for this.

The problem is that out of a 24 hour day, I spend maximum 10 hours at home, several weeks I am often away for 3-4 days out of the 7 week days. Not to mention that I dont have ENOUGH electrical things in my apartment to use all that кВч.

So, anyone got any suggestions, tips or experience with this?

Benedikt
19-05-2014, 13:42
do YOu check the meter and write down the KW in the (blank) payslip and pay accordingly? or you get the pre printed form? and pay whatever is printed there?
have you checked, since it is not the first time as you say, what you have on your meter and what is on your payslip?

if there is a discrepancy, you could have gone to the housing estate and talk to them. and they WILL rectify it, after all you have a meter, haven't you? and NOTHING and nobody can get in there and put in an extra cable?

if that is not so, the housing estate makes ONE meter reading for the whole building, divided by households, they divide by one,two,three room apt,each household gets a part, end of the story.

have you asked around if that happened only to you or to others as well? is there maybe a shop in the basement, anything that could use a lot of electricity?
the amount of kv that you have, lasts us for 2 years....

okiey
19-05-2014, 14:07
That sounds really high. I average about 500rub a month for a two room apt.

Carlj
19-05-2014, 14:18
do YOu check the meter and write down the KW in the (blank) payslip and pay accordingly? or you get the pre printed form? and pay whatever is printed there?
have you checked, since it is not the first time as you say, what you have on your meter and what is on your payslip?

if there is a discrepancy, you could have gone to the housing estate and talk to them. and they WILL rectify it, after all you have a meter, haven't you? and NOTHING and nobody can get in there and put in an extra cable?

if that is not so, the housing estate makes ONE meter reading for the whole building, divided by households, they divide by one,two,three room apt,each household gets a part, end of the story.

have you asked around if that happened only to you or to others as well? is there maybe a shop in the basement, anything that could use a lot of electricity?
the amount of kv that you have, lasts us for 2 years....

http://i.imgur.com/47YbciM.jpg
September to March - Total Kw 8973.

There is a meter, but I haven't seen it as I described before, its locked behind a pretty sturdy metal door. Its the pre printed one, I am not quite sure how it works since Ive made a deal with my landlord that I'll pay rent + 5000rub for bills, but I only pay it to her(so I don't have to deal with it). However, I have seen the bills.

It is a new building and I live on the first floor, so there is still a lot of construction being made in the house. So sometimes I hear people "in" the wall, powertools and all the hell it brings. Maybe they have somehow wired them self on my network, or theres been a mistake made, where 3-4 apartments is running through mine. I dont know, the problem is that my landlord saw that the meter is locked, and therefor I am consuming that much electricity.

There is NO way in hell that I can consume that much. I am waiting for her to get back to me, when a electrician is coming to inspect the apartment.

Edit: She brought this up in april, so for a month now Ive been really careful with everything that possible can draw electricity. Plus for 2 weeks in April I was not even in the country. So I'll see now next week how april wsa.

Carlj
19-05-2014, 15:01

Yes, thats what I did in Moscow as well. And I have tried to explain to my landlord that is impossible. The apartment is heated by water. In October they cut the warmwater, so Ive been using a boiler until march, but that still doesnt explain February, even though I used a 2000W heater because a 2 week long dip below -20C. And even then, it only ran from when I was home, until I left in the morning. Would it run 24/7 those days it would have used 616kWh(but it didnt run 24/7). So -616 from februarys bill, leaves me with 2041kWh. I have made a rough calculation, with everything electrical in my apartment, and it lands about 563 kWh/month. So that leaves 1478 to a mystery.

And that still counting with me using that heater 24/7.

Thanks alot for the suggestions so far. Any ideas of how to tackle my landlord?

Hans.KK
19-05-2014, 17:03
Do I get it right, your meter is outside your apartment?
If so then it is easy to steal your electricity, and there is many tricks to do so.

Get the key to the meter so you can check out the wires from the meter to your apartment, or have a qualified person to do so.

FatAndy
19-05-2014, 18:26
If so then it is easy to steal your electricity, and there is many tricks to do so.

Get the key to the meter so you can check out the wires from the meter to your apartment, or have a qualified person to do so.

In many newer buildings (older ones too btw) meters are located outside flats, in a common corridor. It is done for easier inspection by energo company (not to disturb you).

Benedikt
19-05-2014, 18:35
There is a meter, but I haven't seen it as I described before, its locked behind a pretty sturdy metal door.

but not for others. not of course accusing anyone of anything, but i am here long enough to believe anything or take anything for granted.
and now that you write that it is a building where construction is still going on, it does not come as a surprise to me that your electricity bill is so high. the only thing though what you can do, and i hope that you have a good relationship with your landlady, that you go squealing to the housing estate together.

Carlj
20-05-2014, 09:59

Yes, it was the same in Moscow. Only difference between Rostov and Moscow is that here its actually locked.

Ive tried, but per usual Russian standard, the woman with the keys is only in the building between 9-9:03 on every 3rd Monday, every 2nd month ;)

But my land lord have seen it, and since its money out of her pocket, she swore that it looks correct.

There is a meter, but I haven't seen it as I described before, its locked behind a pretty sturdy metal door.

but not for others. not of course accusing anyone of anything, but i am here long enough to believe anything or take anything for granted.
and now that you write that it is a building where construction is still going on, it does not come as a surprise to me that your electricity bill is so high. the only thing though what you can do, and i hope that you have a good relationship with your landlady, that you go squealing to the housing estate together.

Ive lived long in eastern Europe to know exactly the same thing. But shes finally come to sense, and realized that its not possible for me to use that much electricity. So next monday well meet with an electrician that will look through the whole apartment/wires.

Remington
20-05-2014, 11:54
Ive lived long in eastern Europe to know exactly the same thing. But shes finally come to sense, and realized that its not possible for me to use that much electricity. So next monday well meet with an electrician that will look through the whole apartment/wires.

I hope you're not growing marijuana plants at your place. :D

Jokes aside... it sounds like someone is stealing your electricity but at which hour or day? Might be good idea to mount a camera with motion-detector. Electric thieves usually don't leave anything behind so they'll steal for few hours and disconnect the wires unless if its concealed very well.

Hope you get it resolved soon.

vossy7
20-05-2014, 14:13

Bloody hell okiey that sounds very low cost, we live in a three room and ours is usually ~3000 a month, mind you my wife god bless her likes her creature comforts with underfloor heating in the bathroom and kitchen and AC to boot.
Still sounds high so maybe we should also have a gander behind the meter to see if some reprobate is stealing our juice:voodoo:

okiey
20-05-2014, 14:20
Bloody hell okiey that sounds very low cost, we live in a three room and ours is usually ~3000 a month, mind you my wife god bless her likes her creature comforts with underfloor heating in the bathroom and kitchen and AC to boot.
Still sounds high so maybe we should also have a gander behind the meter to see if some reprobate is stealing our juice:voodoo:

That's only for electricity. The landlord covers all the other utilities costs.

I am mostly on my own, and aside from the lights, fridge and occasionally the AC, the only other electricity usage is charging my telephone and laptop.

I forgot, the washing machine, also, which seems to run once a day, despite there is only myself.

My meter is inside my apartment, so maybe that's the difference, no neighbours tapping in :)

Carlj
20-05-2014, 14:33
I hope you're not growing marijuana plants at your place. :D

Jokes aside... it sounds like someone is stealing your electricity but at which hour or day? Might be good idea to mount a camera with motion-detector. Electric thieves usually don't leave anything behind so they'll steal for few hours and disconnect the wires unless if its concealed very well.

Hope you get it resolved soon.

Since its so inconsistent, thats my best guess as well. To put it in perspective, they claim that for February I used almost as much electricity as 10x40W lightbulbs would, 24/7 for a full year. I'd love to set up some cameras but at this point, id have to set them up everywhere.

Does anyone know where to buy those kind of watt counters, that you plug in to your socket?

like this? Ive checked Leroy Merlin, Mir Remonta and Mvideo, but no luck so far. They kind of laughed at me.

http://img.bazarek.pl/61545/6771/3048965/18936314534f2a819c49708.jpg

natlee
20-05-2014, 14:48
That sounds really high. I average about 500rub a month for a two room apt. :bowdown: I've just paid 1629.55 rub for the last month :shame:

Benedikt
20-05-2014, 16:23
Does anyone know where to buy those kind of watt counters, that you plug in to your socket?

though not such a fancy one. i bought one to find out how much electricity the TV uses when on standby. i /we switch off every piece of equipment now when not in use....no more standby for us.

Carlj
20-05-2014, 16:28

though not such a fancy one. i bought one to find out how much electricity the TV uses when on standby. i /we switch off every piece of equipment now when not in use....no more standby for us.

How fancy it is, is not really important as long as it does the job. Where did you find on?

Remington
20-05-2014, 22:19
Since its so inconsistent, thats my best guess as well. To put it in perspective, they claim that for February I used almost as much electricity as 10x40W lightbulbs would, 24/7 for a full year. I'd love to set up some cameras but at this point, id have to set them up everywhere.

If you're still being gouged for the electricity... maybe its time to look for another flat. There's not much you can do since the flat is not yours. You might want to give your landlord a hint that you'll leave if nothing is being done about it.

Benedikt
21-05-2014, 05:52
How fancy it is, is not really important as long as it does the job. Where did you find on?

they have about 10 Hypers in Moscow and at least one or two in every bigger town in Russia.
Just check out their website for the one nearest to you.

Hans.KK
21-05-2014, 11:50
How fancy it is, is not really important as long as it does the job. Where did you find on?Any electric store and DIY marked sell them. Do the wiring your self and you may be able to measure electricity consumption in the right way from 500 RUB.
http://zakaz.minimaks.ru/goods/schetchiki-jelektrojenergii-odnofaznye

The fancy version just to plug into you outlet is not always measuring correctly, they can't always compensate for loads as PC's TV and other modern electronic.

Carlj
22-05-2014, 14:26
If you're still being gouged for the electricity... maybe its time to look for another flat. There's not much you can do since the flat is not yours. You might want to give your landlord a hint that you'll leave if nothing is being done about it.

Im not exactly being gouged for the bills. I have a agreement with my landlord that I pay rent + 5000rub a month for the bills. If its less, she keeps it, if its more its out of her pocket. So in february, the total amount for bills was 11000rub. So that was 6000rub out of "her pocket", so of course she has a interest in fixing this.

As for moving of course it is an option, but also the very last option. I like the apartment, so id like to stay. The rent is fairly good considering the where and how big the apartment is.

A

Any electric store and DIY marked sell them. Do the wiring your self and you may be able to measure electricity consumption in the right way from 500 RUB.
http://zakaz.minimaks.ru/goods/schetchiki-jelektrojenergii-odnofaznye

The fancy version just to plug into you outlet is not always measuring correctly, they can't always compensate for loads as PC's TV and other modern electronic.

Ive tried 2 different big international stores, none of them had them. Gonna look after a Hyper as Benedikt said.

Carlj
27-05-2014, 17:26
UPDATE:

So we had an electrician over. That was about as humors as it could have been. He opened the box, looked at the counter and said everything is ok. Didnt even bother to look behind the cover.

Then the good news was that for april my bill was 700rub and used electricity was 219kWh. Which is confusing, but the only difference is that during april, I didnt have to use my waterboiler. So I have started to suspect that this the bad guy in this.

Before I noticed that it is constantly refilling and reheating the water, even though I havent used it. Theres a constant sound of water rushing in the lines, so now I turn off the water line and when doing so you can hear that the water stops rushing in the lines. If the boiler was to run for 24/7 for a month, it uses well over a 1000kWh, and could be the explanation.

Ibanez
27-05-2014, 19:40
UPDATE:

So we had an electrician over. That was about as humors as it could have been. He opened the box, looked at the counter and said everything is ok. Didnt even bother to look behind the cover.

Then the good news was that for april my bill was 700rub and used electricity was 219kWh. Which is confusing, but the only difference is that during april, I didnt have to use my waterboiler. So I have started to suspect that this the bad guy in this.

Before I noticed that it is constantly refilling and reheating the water, even though I havent used it. Theres a constant sound of water rushing in the lines, so now I turn off the water line and when doing so you can hear that the water stops rushing in the lines. If the boiler was to run for 24/7 for a month, it uses well over a 1000kWh, and could be the explanation.

Carl. Sounds like that could be the culprit. I'm with Okiey on this -my bill is between 500 and 600: I don't use much but my fan/ventilator is usually on 2/3 of the day when I'm here and even with this I don't get high bills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carlj
29-05-2014, 14:39
Carl. Sounds like that could be the culprit. I'm with Okiey on this -my bill is between 500 and 600: I don't use much but my fan/ventilator is usually on 2/3 of the day when I'm here and even with this I don't get high bills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ive done a little testing the last days and measured how much electricity is actually used.

With everything running at on(tv, lights, AC at 20C, PC doing stresstest, oven used for some times) Except the boiler.

27th of may 23:00
765.3kWh

28th of may 17:00
790.7kWh

And then last night, I went to bed early, but everything was off.

29th of may 793.9kWh 10:00

With everything runing: 25kWh/18h

with nothing(except fridge/laptop): 3kWh/12h

I am going to try tonight, to leave the boiler on and see what happens.