PDA

View Full Version : A question on expat supply and demand

Carbo
20-01-2008, 01:06
We all know, and have read ad infinitum, about the changes to the visa laws for the Russian Federation. I suspect that this will reduce the numbers of that what I'd term 'casual visitors' (those who come not because they've been transerferred by their large company to the Moscow branch, or for career reasons to a specific pre-arranged job) coming to Russia. I mean, there must be easier places -- and less expensive if we're talking Moscow -- to go for gap years, English teaching, international travel adventures, etc. I imagine that it'd be very difficult to come here on a whim and just find work now, especially since only larger companies have 'work permit permission'.

If that is the case, does anyone think that this will reduce the supply of expats sufficiently to raise the wages paid to us?

Or is that just wishful thinking? Perhaps it may even reduce wages because expats will be willing to take reduced wages to work for companies which are able to award work permits.

How do you all feel the job market will be affected by this?

Malairt
24-01-2008, 06:31
I for one hope that expat salaries will rocket as I have a Russian fiance who hopes that I will move permanently to Moscow. Given the salaries on offer, and the living costs, I sincerely doubt it.

Seriously, how do people say the UK is expensive? I'm constantly astonished at how expensive Moscow is. My soon to be sister-in-law earns bugger all as a teacher. How does she live? She's in my fiancee's flat. In the UK she'd be on Ј20k per year. And that's not great but makes Moscow look pathetic.

Anyhoo: let's not get into politics

:)

SalTheReturn
24-01-2008, 10:15
Have to back that, it is a very good question bein posed on this thread.

Carbo, to what kind of expats do you refer to? I think we should not talk about backpackers teachers...

Carbo
03-02-2008, 22:36
Have to back that, it is a very good question bein posed on this thread.

Carbo, to what kind of expats do you refer to? I think we should not talk about backpackers teachers...
Well, those who get brought over by multi nationals will see no change, because their businesses will organize everything the same. But it will change for those companies, whoever they are, who actually need expats. Language schools, PR firms, Banks, and more, I'm sure.

I just wondered if a number of people here on business visas would be forced home and there would be more dicouraged from coming because its suddenly got much more difficult.

Carbo
13-04-2008, 04:36
Thought I'd resurrect this thread, because I heard a rumor that a sizeable number of expats had left -- or the usual numer had not arrived -- because of the new work permit/visa rules.

Any corroboration for this, and what effect do we all think it will have on the job market here?

Bels
13-04-2008, 14:07
There does appear to be a shortage of teachers and expats. Looking at the jobmarket even in the expat.ru vacancies their still appears nothing exciting offered :( The only difference I see is that more schools are prepared to accept non native teachers at an even lower rate :(

For jobs click here: Vacancies :: Moscow's virtual community for English speaking expats and Russians (http://expat.ru/vacancies.php)

Even Ms Poppins has got it wrong, my fees are double this. The only agency who seems to have got it right is Bonne.

Yes teachers fees have gone up, and I believe it's because we no longer have backpackers around to compete with us on low fees. So good news for the resident private teacher.

But teacher's income remains the same as it was four years ago, and they continue to quote on the falling dollar :(

kapione
13-04-2008, 14:20
Thanks to Carbo for this thread !

supply and demand does dictate higher salaries, especially for teachers...but we still have teachers scared and being lied to by various school and being paid slave like wages
most offer a paltry 600 roubles per hour saying this is the best they can do, anyone who lives in Moscow knows how expensive it is here , do the math on the 600 roubles ..deduct inflation......
Other colleagues have signed contracts , get a room in a flat shared with other silly desperate teachers , they get $350(yes dollars) salary per month , can you live on $350 a month is Moscow now in 2008 even with a "free room"
I know my food bill isnt cheap

agree /disagree ?

Bels
13-04-2008, 15:04
Agreed, but let's be fair about it. It's an open market and if teachers are foolish to accept those kind of wages, then that's their problem. As they don't have to be here if they don't want to. They have the whole world to choose from, and they will also have a more welcoming experience on the visa situation.

Some are fooled into thinking that Moscow has a low cost of living and flats will be dirt cheap for example.

Transparent Theatre
13-04-2008, 15:12
Can I just put in a small word for a sector of expats who don't work for multinationals, NOR do they work as English-teachers? Because there are quite a lot of these.

There are expats who work in the service sector, managing hotels, as chefs, as restaurant-owners or managers, in the travel business, in advertising, running clubs and nightlife ventures, and even those who direct opera ;) And many, many more areas in which their expertise and entrepreneurial abilities have proved to be useful :)

Bels
13-04-2008, 15:15
As I've said before, good news for private legal resident teachers. If you can't command a fee of at least 1500p per academic hour, and gradually build up at least 30 hours a week, there is something seriously wrong. And if you must travel, you should always charge for your travelling and lost time.

kapione
13-04-2008, 16:54
Bels what u said is 100% true , but these desperate fools drag down our average salaries by settling for less salary than we know we need to lead a nice life in Europes most expensive city

kapione
13-04-2008, 16:57
my Canadian buddy just came back from Kiev , he didnt have to get that residency certificate I needed for my Multiple entry business Visa , but he just got the single entry business Visa , he did this because he was paniced by bad rumours into making this choice, and he didnt listen to my experience the week before his !!!! some people just do not listen

Bels
13-04-2008, 18:10
As I've said before, good news for private legal resident teachers. If you can't command a fee of at least 1500p per academic hour, and gradually build up at least 30 hours a week, there is something seriously wrong. And if you must travel, you should always charge for your travelling and lost time.

However after stating this I made a google search to see what other Engish native teachers were advertising their services for. The one on top of the page for example is native American and charging 500p per hour(and not academic). One third of what I charge.

Have a look here:
Репетиторы английского языка в России, Курсы по английскому языку России (http://repetitor.info/search.aspx?reg=russia&sbj=english&tp=all&ln=all)

OK fair enough, fees are cheaper outside Moscow, he's in St Petersbourg. Cost of living must be much cheaper there.

kapione
16-04-2008, 13:41
prices and cost of living in St.Petersburg is 3/4 what it is here in Moscow , so that fellow is lowballing himself ...but he may do this to form a student base ...but we all have to live, survive and flourish

Bels
16-04-2008, 19:19
prices and cost of living in St.Petersburg is 3/4 what it is here in Moscow , so that fellow is lowballing himself ...but he may do this to form a student base ...but we all have to live, survive and flourish

That's fair enough I suppose, as I lacked confidence in charging high on my first year. You start testing the higher price when have enough work. Some press you for one to one when you have enough to work. It's those ones you test the higher price with. Never you say you have enough students, get yourself overbooked. Anybody can boast having plenty of students without advertising if their only charging 800 rubles an academic hour. If all your students accept your costs immediately without a quibble, there's something wrong.

Judge
16-04-2008, 22:41
That's fair enough I suppose, as I lacked confidence in charging high on my first year. You start testing the higher price when have enough work. Some press you for one to one when you have enough to work. It's those ones you test the higher price with. Never you say you have enough students, get yourself overbooked. Anybody can boast having plenty of students without advertising if their only charging 800 rubles an academic hour. If all your students accept your costs immediately without a quibble, there's something wrong.

Wise words Bels, very wise.I like your last sentence.:thumbsup:

Bels
16-04-2008, 23:17
Thanks Judge, and I think it time to start a new thread. It's nothing unique. It has already been done on teachers forums about Moscow. And this is the question. What's hapened to all the native speaking ESL teachers in Moscow. Are there now a lot less of us now? And why? Is it because of the new heavy laws of visas from Russia? Or has Moscow bcome less attractive for TEFL teachers in comparison to the rest of the world?

srr kyboard problems again :(

kapione
17-04-2008, 14:12
100% correct Bels.... talk is cheap ..results is what counts ...the better teachers are busy in summer as in winter ...us seasoned teachers here in Moscow know summer is usually a ghost town for some teachers..... Im looking forward to another busy summer .

a sad fact is those teachers here settling for low ball pricing , should be out networking like me and my friends , we help each other :-)

kapione
28-04-2008, 19:24
the one fellow I mentioned in a previous response is only 22 ...he will learn the hard way..but I hope he learns fast

Bels
28-04-2008, 21:40
100% correct Bels.... talk is cheap ..results is what counts ...the better teachers are busy in summer as in winter ...us seasoned teachers here in Moscow know summer is usually a ghost town for some teachers..... Im looking forward to another busy summer .

a sad fact is those teachers here settling for low ball pricing , should be out networking like me and my friends , we help each other :-)

To be honest, I'm getting rather worried about the Summer, especially July and August. But l'll let you know for this year, as I am now marketing for those children who need to develop their weaknesses from their schools, or in other words special Summer courses, because many of my current pupils will be going away for a break.

Last year, for certain reasons due to invitation and visa problems, whilst waiting for my residency, of which I now have, I had to return to my own country fr two months. What I did was to to apply to a summer school near Oxford and teach children. A least I got free accomadation, food, and a low income of Ј10 per week. But at least it kept me going for a few months when I had no money.And at least it kept me going, whilst I had to leave my wife, a nine year old son and a recently born baby. That's life in Moscow for expats.

kapione
28-04-2008, 21:57
Summer is usually slower , but it is nice to have a little break ,enjoy your time with your new family Bels .... Im scheduling more flexible for me,and my students,and to be closer to home ;-)

Bels
28-04-2008, 22:10
Yes, a new style has been planned. The big one will be in September, a new generation of students and keeping the previous genarations you already have.

But for the Summer, we also want to enjoy the Summer, we need time to enjoy our local allotment of 6 sotkas and build a small house for camping, and do some gardening. We also have a legal plot of land in Ruza of 10 sotkas of which we plan to build a permanent house with all facilities such as electricity etc. So yes, time to relax, but I need some work to keep me going, and to reach our plans. I have a funny feeling we are going to be busy:( But I do hope we will also have time to relax, and enjoy this short Summer, before we start working even harder in September.

kapione
03-05-2008, 09:16
Summer is a great time for fun + Sun ,friends and family , but do your business first remember "business before pleasure" or you dont have the cash for the fun stuff ..... me I am gearing up for a 3rd summer of my 4 summers here in Moscow , this summer I have a slight twist ... I will have my lessons at my place or close to home companies/students homes also in my area :-) it is all about "location location location"