PDA

View Full Version : Looking for funny or ironic stories of expat life

Ravenzi
19-01-2008, 17:29
Hi All -- I am trying to collect funny or ironic stories of expat life here over the past 10-15 years, which I intend to fictionalize into a book. If any of you have any short vignettes to share, I will gladly sanitize them to protect both innocent and guilty, and I will credit -- or not, as you prefer -- in the acknowledgments. Please post here, or in PMs. Thanks in advance.

-- Ravenseye

SalTheReturn
19-01-2008, 18:02
Hi All -- I am trying to collect funny or ironic stories of expat life here over the past 10-15 years, which I intend to fictionalize into a book. If any of you have any short vignettes to share, I will gladly sanitize them to protect both innocent and guilty, and I will credit -- or not, as you prefer -- in the acknowledgments. Please post here, or in PMs. Thanks in advance.

-- Ravenseye

would be great if you can send a sample of what you need. post it in here!!!

pjw
20-01-2008, 14:59

-- Ravenseye

Yes. Plenty of samples please:eh: so we know exactly what you mean, your tastes etc!
Thankyou:celebrate:

Len Ganley Stance
20-01-2008, 15:11

-- Ravenseye

Roughly translated............

Please provide me with all the material I need for the book I'm writing. The better the material, the more cash I'll make :):)

pjw
20-01-2008, 15:35

-- Ravenseye

So:respect:send us everything you´ve got and we´ll get back to you:thumbsup: Can´t wait to read it all. Excited:cheerleader:
Pete

TGP
20-01-2008, 21:31

-- Ravenseye

Ravenzi, why not to start with elis's post "Here Less Than a Week and I Jammed the Garbage Chute...".
This "problem" is funny, but looks really serious as the discussion took 5 pages :coffee:

SalTheReturn
20-01-2008, 22:19
Ravenzi, why not to start with elis's post "Here Less Than a Week and I Jammed the Garbage Chute...".
This "problem" is funny, but looks really serious as the discussion took 5 pages :coffee:

well, a discussion on russian women or racism would take at least double of that!!!:cheerleader::celebrate:

AndreyS
21-01-2008, 00:44

-- Ravenseye

Aren't you Bill Bryson collecting material for the next book?

Willy
21-01-2008, 11:06

It was all a bunch of trash talking!!!

Willy
21-01-2008, 11:06
Show me the MONEY!!!!

pjw
21-01-2008, 21:00
Show me the MONEY!!!!

Would like to see some drachma too:eh:
:sunny:Pete:sunny:

Willy
22-01-2008, 00:35
Why don't we just write the book for him?

The funny thing is, he can't use anything posted here without permission of expat.ru as all post become their property.

Annihilator
22-01-2008, 02:13
Why don't we just write the book for him?

The funny thing is, he can't use anything posted here without permission of expat.ru as all post become their property.
Well, imagine that this information has already been sent to his email & here is a clone of it. No pro! Legally! :rules:

elis
23-01-2008, 17:27
How's this for an anecdote:

Ventured out to the store today. Got the store and was peering at the meat counter trying to determine what cuts of meat were which and from which animal they came from. (Having seen horse on a menu, I can’t be too careful.) Decided that there were two items that definitely resembled some type of cut of pork. I pointed out one of the trays of meat to the nice gold toothed matron behind the counter, and she smiled and said something that made no sense to me, but it sounded like the word “scallopine” might have been in there somewhere. Having no idea what the word for pork is, or any other animal for that matter, I tried to put on my best interrogative face and asked: “Moo or oink oink?” To which she responded with a blank stare of incomprehension. Obviously, Russian school children learn a different version of “moo” and “oink.”

I knew I was done for then. No other way to go about ensuring you’re getting what you want than to start making your best barnyard sounds.
Yes indeed folks, I was in the supermarket this morning, snorting like a pig! Of course, as soon as I did, the lady broke into gales of laughter and nodded to me, “Da. Da. Sween.”

At least I now know how to say “pork” in Russian.