PDA

View Full Version : Back from hell! Well, not from hell but rather an unpleasant place. True story.

Maine Surfer
27-02-2004, 12:50
I'm back from spending 12 days in a Russian hospital.

Man, oh man. Russian doctors who have no clue what they are doing, nurses running around like chicken with heads cut off, terible food, no visitors allowed, constantly dripping IV's..... I'm lucky to be out of there alive. One good thing is that was absolutely free.

I had to work from my room, with a phone in one hand and IV needle in another, and three other dudes in pain laying in same room, was crazy. Hey, I even talked to Limitchik from there.

Anyway, my advise. STAY HEALTHY! In case you do get sick, do some "marketing" with a doctor, ususally a promise of $50 upon release does the trick, and you get doctor's full attention.

Another thing. Only in the hospital I learned the power of 50 Russian rubles. Can get you anyting.

Random
27-02-2004, 13:08
Well, Welcome back ! Hope all is right now ....

:)

Maine Surfer
27-02-2004, 13:33
Much better, thank you.
feels good to be back

sevan
27-02-2004, 13:43
Most hospitals have a free ward and a "paying" ward. In my experience, they have been much better, cleaner, and with better service.

Pussy Cat
27-02-2004, 13:52
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Maine Surfer
[B]I'm back from spending 12 days in a Russian hospital.

Man, oh man. Russian doctors who have no clue what they are doing, nurses running around like chicken with heads cut off, terible food, no visitors allowed, constantly dripping IV's..... I'm lucky to be out of there alive. One good thing is that was absolutely free. ...

But you said it yourself - it is FREE. I think that free medical help is not the best anywhere. You could pay for it and get all the comfort. So, it seems to be your own choice? :rolleyes:

Btw, Russian doctors considered to be highly professional and well-eductaed even the ones who work at municipal hospitals. So, you simply were not lucky...:(

sevan
27-02-2004, 13:59
I think it was Tatyana Tolstaya and I think she said something like: "doctors in municipal hospitals don't like you if you are not a paying patients - in fact, they seem to wish you would get sicker and die."

Sorry, but I just don't agree with you about the highly professional part - at least not when you aren't paying for the services.

geordie
27-02-2004, 14:09
That's a bit of a cheek Sevan, are you saying doctors in the NHS for example don't give a shit? What about the hypocratic oath? Its an insult to all public sector healthcare workers.

cyclby
27-02-2004, 14:18
Maine,
Welcome back, I was about ready to do a post looking for you. I hope that all is well. Look forward to seeing you and your other half once again.
Take Care,
C

Pussy Cat
27-02-2004, 14:37
Originally posted by sevan
I think it was Tatyana Tolstaya and I think she said something like: "doctors in municipal hospitals don't like you if you are not a paying patients - in fact, they seem to wish you would get sicker and die."

Sorry, but I just don't agree with you about the highly professional part - at least not when you aren't paying for the services.

Nu-u-u-u... What can I say? I think I can hardly make you change your mind, but it is not that bad.
And I really know doctors who are working almost for nothing and never bribing their patients and never making any difference - if you paid or not. On the other side you cannot imagine how many of unprofessional doctors are working in cool and expensive medical centers...
So, it's just a question of your luck;)
And of course, you cannot judge about all the doctors taking into consideration one experience.

sevan
27-02-2004, 14:45
Maine, welcome back (though we've never met).

Look, of course there are good doctors who will work for free. No doubt. But last time I ran into a free municipal clinic after seeing a guy get hit by a car right out in front of the place, I was told "nyet, my ni vykhodim" (no, we do not leave the clinic). My Russian is damn good (there was no misunderstanding) and I repeatedly pleaded for them to go out and help the guy. But all I could get was a promise to call an ambulance.

Pussy Cat
27-02-2004, 14:56
Maine, welcome back (though we've never met).

Look, of course there are good doctors who will work for free. No doubt. But last time I ran into a free municipal clinic after seeing a guy get hit by a car right out in front of the place, I was told "nyet, my ni vykhodim" (no, we do not leave the clinic). My Russian is damn good (there was no misunderstanding) and I repeatedly pleaded for them to go out and help the guy. But all I could get was a promise to call an ambulance.

Quite strange - they had to help. Though because of hypocratic oath...

As for me I had a couple of bad experiences at "cool" clinics.
And I am sure they'll sooner help that poor guy at municipal hospital than at an expensive clinic. There they'll even hardly call an ambulance...
So - draw game?;)

sevan
27-02-2004, 15:00
yeah. draw. whatever. Maine's advice is the best: stay healthy.

Maine Surfer
27-02-2004, 15:00
Thank you C, sevan

I haven't posted to strat a big discussion here. I'm telling you about my personal experience at the 3rd City Infection Hospital.

When I was being taken there, my stomack felt like it was on fire, and I could care less what hospital they would bring me, I just needed some help.

After a day of non-action and doctor ignorance, I was directly told by medical staff to offer some money to my doctor (Russians call it to do marketing). So I did, and things started happening around me: bloodwork was done, I was given good antibiotics, etc...

I'm sure there are good knowlegible doctors out there, better hospitals, etc. It's not the point. The point is I'm telling what happened in my personal case.

PussyCat, I surely was not lucky. You should have seen the situation when a young replacement doctor came one day, looked at me and said I'm healthy and the problem is I shouldn't do any hard drugs because my liver is enlarged and it's all that giving me trouble. A day before another doctor diagnosed me with apenix infiltration, and my apendix is hurting like son of a bitch, and the young dude is telling me it's no big deal, it's my liver. hello!!??? Next day I ask an older doctor to check my liver, so he does and tells me it's fine. So I was majorly unlucky with the doctors there, so were 80% of other patients of that hospital.

I agree with Tanya Tolstaya, I've seen in the eyes of some people something like "I wish you get sicker and die". Just a couple people, most were OK, just didn't care much. But also saw a few real nice kind hearted people too.

geordie
27-02-2004, 15:19
So what was wrong with you?

Pussy Cat
27-02-2004, 15:24
Originally posted by Maine Surfer
Thank you C, sevan

I haven't posted to strat a big discussion here. I'm telling you about my personal experience at the 3rd City Infection Hospital.

When I was being taken there, my stomack felt like it was on fire, and I could care less what hospital they would bring me, I just needed some help.

After a day of non-action and doctor ignorance, I was directly told by medical staff to offer some money to my doctor (Russians call it to do marketing). So I did, and things started happening around me: bloodwork was done, I was given good antibiotics, etc...

I'm sure there are good knowlegible doctors out there, better hospitals, etc. It's not the point. The point is I'm telling what happened in my personal case.

PussyCat, I surely was not lucky. You should have seen the situation when a young replacement doctor came one day, looked at me and said I'm healthy and the problem is I shouldn't do any hard drugs because my liver is enlarged and it's all that giving me trouble. A day before another doctor diagnosed me with apenix infiltration, and my apendix is hurting like son of a bitch, and the young dude is telling me it's no big deal, it's my liver. hello!!??? Next day I ask an older doctor to check my liver, so he does and tells me it's fine. So I was majorly unlucky with the doctors there, so were 80% of other patients of that hospital.

I agree with Tanya Tolstaya, I've seen in the eyes of some people something like "I wish you get sicker and die". Just a couple people, most were OK, just didn't care much. But also saw a few real nice kind hearted people too.
-------------------------------

Maine, it's really pity that you had such an bad experience! And of course - welcome back and great that you feel OK now!

What can I say... Sure low salaries is not an excuse for bribing and lack of competence... I simply wanted to tell that not all the doctors are that bad here.
And I know the guys who are working like hell at municipal hospitals with 8-10 duties per month and really do their best for all the patients - no difference if they'll pay them or not...
That is

jheisel
27-02-2004, 15:25
I spent a week in a Russian hospital in 2002, and all was OK. I had a private room with a TV and telephone line. The food was pretty bad, but I didn't expect anything good. Visitors were allowed, doctors were competent, etc.

It was not inexpensive, but that's why I have insurance.

Maine Surfer
27-02-2004, 15:27
No one knows!!!!!!!!!?????? Sounds crazy, but true. After 12 days of pain, 3 stomack ultrasounds, 2 X rays, numerous tests I've had several diagnoses. There are: stomack flu, apendicitis becoming apendix infiltration, infecton of blind gut, tiflit. None of them are true. So I'm trying to figure what I had, my doctor-friends are helping.

geordie
27-02-2004, 15:34
Get well soon bud

sevan
27-02-2004, 15:37
Maine, would you like me to recommend a couple of Russian clinics that have good reputations, or do you have things under control? These are all places where you would pay around 500 rubles per appointment with a doctor and around 300 or so for x-rays and tests and whatnot.

sfjohns67
27-02-2004, 15:50
Maine, would you like me to recommend a couple of Russian clinics that have good reputations, or do you have things under control? These are all places where you would pay around 500 rubles per appointment with a doctor and around 300 or so for x-rays and tests and whatnot.
I'll take that info, kind sir. PM it to me plz.

Maine Surfer
27-02-2004, 16:00
Sevan, please do.
Although I'm not in pain anymore, I do not feel like I have things under control. I know of a few doctors and clinics, but would like to hear your recomendations.

sevan
27-02-2004, 16:09
I have been to the first two of these clinics and have been satisfied with the service (in Russian). As a paying client, you do not have to wait in line to see the doctor.

Disclaimer: if you try any of these places and are not happy with the service or don't agree with me, please inform. My recommendation is by no means a guarantee of good service. I have thus far had to deal with only one relatively serious health problem (knock on wood), so I do not personally know everything there is to know about these places.

1) Klinika Litfonda
Metro: Aeroport
Address: 1st Aeroportovskaya Ulitsa, 5
Telephone: 155-8773
Website: http://www.otechestvo.ru/medpol30.php (some info about insurance and the clinic in Russian)

2) Klinika Unpravleniya Delami Presidenta
Metro: Arbatskaya
Address: Vozdvizhenka 6
Telephone: 290-5681

3) Klinika UPDK (clinic for the diplomatic corps)
Metro: Dobryninskaya
Address: 4th Dobryninkskii pereulok, 4
Telephone: 237-5933, 237-8338

The German Embassy apparently has a decent clinic on its grounds as well - I know a Dutch couple that goes there to do check-ups for their baby. Don't know what it costs. The phone number is 939-9269.

DeciDela
27-02-2004, 16:21
I spent all the pregnancy and gave birth in London. It was horrible! NHS system is a big shit. They don't care about anything. The midwifes never washed their hands before the check-up... It took 20 hours to take a cateter out from my arm, because everyone was very busy with drinking tea. When my baby was sick, the gp refused to come to our place, so I had to bring the baby into the clinic which was full of sick adult people, and the staff refused to see the baby first. A friend of mine has been waiting for a scan for 6 months! The only drug they know here is paracetamol, they treat everything with it. Want more example?
Btw, the food was terrible too.
Hi from London!
Sorry about my mistakes, English is my fourth language.

J.D.
27-02-2004, 16:52
Btw, Russian doctors considered to be highly professional

Yeah, right. If professional means cut throat and extorsionist.
I showed up at a hospital with a one year old who had sliced his hand open. The doctor said we would have to stay in the hospital for two or three days because they didn't have any sutchers. So I said "Fine tell me where I can go buy some and I'll be right back." He says "Oh you can give me Twenty dollars and I will go buy it." If I hadn't needed him to sew up the baby's hand i would have kicked his ass right then and there.
I don't mind paying for extra or special service but this was not that.
I'm sure there are doctors here who are good people. In fact I know there are I just haven't met any who make less than a thousand bucks a month. I've met several like the one above.

geordie
27-02-2004, 17:03
DeciDela, you are a foreigner in Britain and you didn't pay a penny. Stop whingeing

geofizz56
27-02-2004, 18:02
My experience with Russian hospitals is second hand via my co-workers' stories, few of them good. One friend recently had to pay his doctor a bribe of $100 to get cleared to return to work. This was after a month in a pay hospital and a phenomenally fouled-up knee operation. When I visited, the hospital was clean and reasonably well organized, and the patients were quite pleased that they did not have to bribe the staff for basic care. But the elevators didn't work and all the equipment looked just about worn out.

For comparison, I had similar knee surgery in the US not long ago - it was day surgery, in and out in 5 hours, back to work in just over a week. Of course, the cost was a lot different, too - about $25,000.

There has to be a balance between obscenely expensive and dirt cheap, where the average person can get competent care.

jheisel
27-02-2004, 18:11
Oh, I should mention that my time in the Russian hospital wasn't all good -- I had been mugged and skoraya pomosch took me to some clinic (can't recall which one) where they said I was fine. The guards wanted to drink a shot with me because they'd never met an American before. The next morning I went to the American Clinic where they told me I had a broken nose, contusion, etc. The hospital they put me in (I think it was the hospital for ZiL workers or something) was fine though. But I guess I had the "lux" room.

Fa-Q!
27-02-2004, 18:20
JD, you're story is gaddamn sickening. It's one thing to treat adults like shit, but threatening not to treat a baby! Hearing that makes me want to vomit.

DeciDela
27-02-2004, 18:32
Originally posted by geordie
DeciDela, you are a foreigner in Britain and you didn't pay a penny. Stop whingeing

My husband (an English man, British citizen) and I (British citizen) pay lots of stupid taxes and NI.

You nice advise I would transfer to the authout of this topic.

geordie
27-02-2004, 18:38
Its the same for everybody. Do you think you deserve better than everybody else?? It was good enough for me and everyone else I know. You are just a wimp. If you didn't like it, go private next time... No body cares if you do, you're not better than anybody else even if you think you are. I dosen't surprise me the docs and nurses drink a lot of tea, you have no idea how hard they work.

Fa-Q!
27-02-2004, 18:50
=======================================
Any other facts about you that you wrongly think will impress us?

cyclby
27-02-2004, 18:58
LOL

peyote
27-02-2004, 19:25
i have insurance with progress-garant. i felt down and "broke" my arm. or so the doctor said. no x-ray was done to determine this. the x-ray machine supposedly broken at the time and still broken 15 days later when it was time to remove the cast. the doctor said i had typical symptoms for a radial fracture. go and make yourself and x-ray somewhere else and bring it to me. that is, without an order for this. he should have known i needed such order. not only that, but assuming i could pay someone for this, what kind of x-ray i was supposed to get? what area? what position? simply terrible. i did manage to get an x-ray in a "travma punkt". went to another clinic in moscow, also with the insurance, and there they said i never had a fracture to begin with.

last year i began to suffer from positional dizziness. the "neuropathologist" (whatever the hell that is) made some tests, including duplex scanner, cervical x-ray, blood tests, ekg, etc. they found i had some sort of arterial hypoplasia. the thing is, that has nothing to do with my dizziness. the cause of dizziness i found by e-mailing everything to my friend, a doctor in canada, who immediately determined what i had. here they gave me iv injections with euphylline (a bronchodilator for conditions like asthma) and diclophenac, a very popular drug here. my dizziness persisted and it only went away when i did some special exercises for this condition, proving that my friend was right and here they were wrong. by the way, the condition is called "benign paroxysmal positional vertigo", it's an ear problem and has nothing to do with any neurological condition. it goes away with positional exercises, not iv injections.

one more: my son was tested for hepatitis B. they did the antigen and the result was positive. i repeated this test several times in spain. all results turned out to be negative. another test looking for wilson disease (high levels of copper in blood) was also "high" here. it turned out they did not clean the containers so copper, normally in water, wouldn't contaminate the result. this false result was received from 2 different labs in moscow. both of them very respected. extra money was paid for everything. the test was repeated 2 more times with normal results in 2 different places.

it seems i've had very bad luck here, considering the level of professionalism is very high... according to some out there.

sUbsTANce
27-02-2004, 19:30
Originally posted by Fa-Q!
=======================================
Any other facts about you that you wrongly think will impress us?

Im simply astonished at how people on these expat forums cling onto every word someone says, make out as if they are smarter by introducing stupid sarcastic remarks, and get way off the topic...grow up!

DeciDela
27-02-2004, 23:15
Its the same for everybody. Do you think you deserve better than everybody else?? It was good enough for me and everyone else I know. You are just a wimp. If you didn't like it, go private next time... No body cares if you do, you're not better than anybody else even if you think you are. I dosen't surprise me the docs and nurses drink a lot of tea, you have no idea how hard they work.
Well, I know it's horrible for everyone. And I also know that local people are used to paracetamol and 6 month-queues. I am just surprised that you discuss bad service in Russia while you got a horrible one in your country.
PS. I was always pretty sure the main job od nurses and doctors is treating people and not drinking tea for hours.
Maybe it's different in Britain? :D

yankee@moscow
28-02-2004, 03:00
Originally posted by Maine Surfer

Another thing. Only in the hospital I learned the power of 50 Russian rubles. Can get you anyting.

We need to talk!:)

Filimon
28-02-2004, 03:30

12% of my salary is hardly "not a penny". And since I am on a work permit here, i am not entitled to ANY benefits: child, housing, unemployment or whatever. SO I pay solely for being able to use NHS.

Not a penny my a.se!

Filimon
28-02-2004, 03:33

Problem with priavte medical insurance in Uk is that you STILL need to go through a GP to get into a private clinic. If I could go direct that would be the best medical care in the world. What's the point of having private insurance if you go to GP and he says that there's is nothing wrong with you or gives you paracetamol?

stefania2003
28-02-2004, 09:02
I've had quite a lot of medical treatment, operations and otherwise, carried out here and it was excellent. But I paid to go private and maybe Maine, who I'm sure has at least a steady salaried job here and earns more than most Russians, should have done the same.
I nursed in the NHS for 3 years after leaving school and it was the hardest work I've ever done. Perhaps Maine should try spending a week rinsing out bedpans before he says the things he does. I used to also run about like a headless chicken because I had to be in 10 places at once, and all of them urgent! If Maine was back in his home country (which maybe he shouldn't have left if he wants a soft life) he'd have to pay medical insurance so he should pay it here and by the way, it's illegal to live on a visa here without the same.

geofizz56
28-02-2004, 20:48
Well, if Maine has the same sort of deal I do, I pay the same for health insurance as I would in the US, but the dental and vision benefits are no good here, and any medical problems are "out of network" and paid at a drastically reduced rate. Given the costs at SOS or EMC, I would be tempted to try high-end local care if I hadn't heard so many horror stories from our local staff. In fact, I visited a friend in a premier cardiology hospital today, and was not impressed. It was relatively clean, but maintenance was clearly lacking and the level of care was not terrific. My friend's roommate is in a very bad way, but as long as she is unconscious the nurses just ignore her. Not cool. I think American hospitals over-do the marketing and glitz (Houston hospitals offer valet parking!) but if this was the best Moscow could do, I can't imagine what medical care in the regions is like.

(And yes, I used the valet service when my very small son had surgery. It was lovely to go straight from his room to our car. )

CaliforniaAngel
28-02-2004, 22:12
Originally posted by stefania2003
If Maine was back in his home country (which maybe he shouldn't have left if he wants a soft life)

Stefania,

You should check your facts before trying to send people "home." Just a hint cause your foot was getting awful close to your mouth. :)

Moscow Wolf
28-02-2004, 23:46
A very volatile subject this one. My wife (soon to be ex-wife) is a Russian Doctor and comes from a line of famous Russian Doctors going back to Stalin’s time.

Although I consider her to be a very good Doctor, she often says that the Russian Doctor is better because he/she didn’t have the level of technological equipment that Western Doctors are accustomed too. She was referring to surgeons in particular.

I remember some very wise words she said to me once whilst we were standing outside the Mortuary in the freezing snow waiting for our turn to get in to visit a dead relative; I said ‘You’d think that they could provide a waiting room or something’ to which she replied, ‘they don’t care about people when they’re alive, so why should they care about them when they're dead. It was an angry sweeping statement, but I understood her point. I also remember saying to her on numerous occasions after visiting her in her Oncology Hospital on Kashirskoye, that if I’m ever terminally ill, swear to me you’ll get be back to the UK so I can die quietly.

Although Moscow’s Russian Hospitals are undergoing a big revamp, they’re still awful places in my opinion. Having been back to that Cancer Hospital only last year, I was surprised to see that they had renovated most areas, but the toilets were still a disgrace. They don’t supply any toilet paper (and folks don’t think to bring any) so they smear excrement on the tiles. Plus in usual tradition, the Russians use it as the most convenient smoking room.

All that being said, I know that my Wife was/is very dedicated to her work, she even treated successfully a number of woman with cancer of the cervix from overseas where foreign Doctors had said there was no chance of survival. She never had to take a bribe albeit; it was not unusual for patients to bring presents of perfume and chocolates etc. In all fairness though, she did have her own private practice too for paying patients, not dissimilar to the West.

She has worked in our British national Health system too and tells me what a shambles it is. Every time I read a horror story like Mr Surfers, it makes me realise how lucky I have been during the last 10 years here to have always had direct access to the best Russian Doctors and for free. However, if it comes to the necessity for an operation, I would still prefer to go back to the UK for it as the Russian bedside manner is not to my taste.

Mr Surfer’s thread also brings it home once again, just how important it is to have some kind of medical insurance here, which I still haven’t managed arrange for myself.

There is no doubt in my mind, that there is corruption here within the Medical system official salaries are rubbish by anyone’s standards, but as the Russian’s say, ‘the fish begins to smell at the head’. Can you blame them for trying to supplement their meagre salaries? Suppose it depends on the case. I have lost two friends here in the last couple of years, one murdered (stabbed) and there was nothing any Doctor’s could have done as it was a professional hit, the other, was a case of a fit healthy guy tripping back over a curb stone and hitting his head on a rock over Easter celebrations. We found him 3 days later in a out of town hospital in a coma with his head swollen up like a balloon. The Doctor’s had done nothing, in fact they didn’t know what to do. We managed to get him into a Military Hospital where they operated straight away. We paid for the best possible attention it was possible to get, but he never regained consciousness and died a few days later.

It often seems here, to me anyway, that life is cheap, chepaer than it is in the West and that it is something that need's to be addressed within Russian culture. There is no easy answer to the Russian Medical problem, you can only pray that you don’t need their assistance and back that up with some good insurance.
:(

earl
29-02-2004, 02:29
Or perhaps medevac flights to Thailand? They do have some very good hospitals there, particularly Bumrungrad and a couple others in Bangkok. I'd say from my experiences they are about even with everything but the very top tier of US hospitals.

-earl-

J.D.
29-02-2004, 09:00
I remember my first trip to a Russian hospital. I was taking my girl friend there to have some tests made. Like most Russian buildings it was unimpressive from the outside although it was a rather large complex. There were almost no signs directing you as to where to go. When we were inside I was sure that this was not a working hospital. I was equally sure that the place had been abandoned at least 30 years ago. This was a big hospital in Moscow.
I've heard that remark about Russian doctors being better because of lack of technology enough times that it sounds like a catch phrase that tell to either pacify themselfs or maybe to boost their self-esteem.

DPG
29-02-2004, 13:28
The 'Russian doctors are better becuse they have access to less technology' thing is so common that you almost expect doctors to say it whilst they mess around misdiagnosing and prescribing either the incorrect medicines or cheap ones which simply don't work.

Given the choice between a "better" doctor with no equipment and a dirty, poorly maintained clinic where 50 roubles actually has the power to buy you some toilet paper or better treatment and the NHS and you would see me waving at you from the airport - and that coming from someone who hasn't used the NHS (for treatment) in years is saying something.

More that one Russian has told me that often doctors will prescribe weak medicines basically akin to placebos due to the fact that people get paid whilst off work here and if the affliction is less that life threatening, wish to keep that the state of affairs for as long as possible...doctors are only too happy to oblige.

Many times during my time here I have had to go back to a clinic 4 or 5 times to get something sorted out that would have taken one visit to a GP in the UK. Often (and quite recently in fact) due to factors outlined above, the original complaint gets far worse due to so called doctors 'prescribing' rubbish like mustard, warm water and blind, mindless optimism...a couple of weeks later when you re-visit doubly as ill as previously and when asked "are there any antibiotics you don't like", they take offense when you hint that you don't like penicillin, and you want something made in the west that actually contains antibiotics.

Friends and collegues who have been ill enough that the severity forced hospitalisation have told me the usual sheaf of horror stories that I shan't repeat here, but they did force me to get health insurance and to always have access to funds to fly home if needed.

FA-Q and Cyclby: Guys - Sorry about my mistakes, English is my 1st language but I've only been speaking it for 8593 days!:)

stefania2003
29-02-2004, 22:18
So MaineSurfer is Russian? Could've fooled me:) Even if he is he still ought to make private arrangements for himself (everybody I know now does this here even if their salary is not that big) and stop giving us horror stories which are simply a result of lack of funds in the Russian NHS.
Wolfie's awful story is very sad:(
But I still say that there's nothing wrong with Russian medicine - it's simply the lack of funds for free treatment that is so unfortunate.

J.D.
01-03-2004, 00:34
Even if he is he still ought to make private arrangements for himself (everybody I know now does this here even if their salary is not that big) and stop giving us horror stories which are simply a result of lack of funds in the Russian NHS.

Everybody you know does? What percent of Moscow do you think does that?

Horror stories are a result of lack of funds? Not that Russian medicine is bad?

Did I miss something in your train of thought or was it you that missed the train?

Maine Surfer
01-03-2004, 11:45
If Maine was back in his home country (which maybe he shouldn't have left if he wants a soft life) he'd have to pay medical insurance so he should pay it here and by the way, it's illegal to live on a visa here without the same.

First things first, I AM IN MY HOME COUNTRY. Yes I did leave quite a soft life to come live and work in Russia. As any Russian citizen, I'm entitled to a POLIS MEDITSINSKOGO STRAHOVANIA, which I don't have (my mistake). Came to Moscow in late Dec, didn't think of getting a polis as I had never been seriously sick before.

By the time I needed medical care, I was too late to think of something public or private, I just need some relive. So the ambulance took me where it took me, and only after I got there I started going "private", do some marketing with nurses and doctors.

My mistake was not to have insurance with a decent place. I'm not trying to give you horror stories, I'm telling you WHAT HAPPENED TO ME, my experience.

Of course, Russian health care system is in ruins because of lack of money. Luck of funding is just a cause, root of all evil. The result is the SYSTEM IS IN RUINS, and people have to make private arragements to survive. It's just like saying "there is nothing wrong with hunger in Africa. People are dying because they don't have any money to buy food, they just have to arrange private food supplies."

stefania2003
01-03-2004, 14:29
Then let me congratulate you on your excellent English, Maine - it had me fooled;)
Yes of course the health system is in a bad way here (the free health care system I mean) - hardly surprising when all public servants are on starvation wages which also contributes largely to corruption and all the other evils here. As long as the present regime is in power then nothing will change.
Btw, my criticism of you does not affect me wishing you a speedy recovery:)

Maine Surfer
01-03-2004, 16:04
Thank you, I'm on the way there.
Well, I am Maine Surfer after all....so I speak decent English with Maine accent.

Exactly my point, the healthcare is ruined. Thank you.

DPG, 50 rubles can get you many things but not toilet paper.