PDA

View Full Version : Lost Wallet

MilkandGin
04-05-2014, 10:04
So very concerning predicament... my wallet was stolen, along with my drivers license, all bank cards, etc. I am trying to work with my bank to find out how to get me replacements.

If they mail me at my home address in Latin characters, not Cyrilic, will they arrive?

Is there a recommended method for mailing them?

RIKO
04-05-2014, 10:18
If they mail me at my home address in Latin characters, not Cyrilic, will they arrive?

Is there a recommended method for mailing them? If by recognized courier, yes, no problem. I've had bank cards sent to Moscow address 5 or 6 times. Ordinary mail is almost certainly never an option for a bank card delivery.

Hans.KK
04-05-2014, 10:22
If they mail me at my home address in Latin characters, not Cyrilic, will they arrive?Yes.

Is there a recommended method for mailing them?Use any courier transport company DHL, UPS, etc. But be aware that it may not be legal to mail credit card over the borderline, read the conditions on the web pages of the courier transport company, in some cases credit cards are considered as securities/money.

Remington
04-05-2014, 10:35
Yes.
Use any courier transport company DHL, UPS, etc. But be aware that it may not be legal to mail credit card over the borderline, read the conditions on the web pages of the courier transport company, in some cases credit cards are considered as securities/money.

Banks know which courier to use for international deliveries. They've done it zillions of time. Beside bank cards cannot be activated until you call them to confirm the details. :nerd:

Capman
04-05-2014, 11:21
If by recognized courier, yes, no problem. I've had bank cards sent to Moscow address 5 or 6 times. Ordinary mail is almost certainly never an option for a bank card delivery.

I agree,
I had a card sent here regular mail that never arrived. Afterward I found out that even Russian banks won't mail your card to you in Russia. Apparently there is some law against it. Even if you mail it with a service hide it in something like a magazine just to be safe. I eventually had another one sent to me in a package of stuff.

penka
04-05-2014, 12:21
Same here. I had a card DHL-ed to Moscow and the address was written in Latin letters - no problem what so ever.

Hans.KK
04-05-2014, 12:26
Banks know which courier to use for international deliveries. They've done it zillions of time.They do, but there is still laws in some country's that prevent you from mailing credit cards over the border line.

Beside bank cards cannot be activated until you call them to confirm the details. :nerd:And then what? It do not change the law if it restrict import of credit cards by mail/courier.

We are all from different country's, and different country's may have different law's on the same matter.
So if you want to mail something other that a simple letter that will cross border lines, you have to take these specific country's law into consideration, both the source country (export law) and the destination country (import law). DO NOT relay on some random person tells that he/she had done this before without any problems, he/she may have this done from an other country than the one you are going to use, or he/she may just had been lucky.
Border line crossing is always heavy regulated (different country's, different rules), and you may not be able to mail the same kind of objects that you are allow to carry with you in person when you cross a border line, so one have to be attentive especially when it comes to objects that may be considered as securities/money (and it is the laws definition on securities/money that counts, your opinion on this doesn't matter).

inorcist
04-05-2014, 13:18
As I have been told, sending money by mail is forbidden in Russia and there is no real guidance for customs and postal companies whether bank cards are considered money or just a piece of plastic. That's why some banks and postal companies refuse to send bank cards to Russia.

From own experience though, both slow mail and couriers should work just fine. I've had four bank cards mailed to Russia over the last five years. Just keep in mind that normal mail can take quite long.

Remington
04-05-2014, 15:24
From own experience though, both slow mail and couriers should work just fine. I've had four bank cards mailed to Russia over the last five years. Just keep in mind that normal mail can take quite long.

Bank cards cannot be used by anyone if it gets lost or stolen in the mail. Most banks requires you to call them or login to your account online to activate the card before you can use it. Courier is probably better if can't wait for snail mail to arrive.

vossy7
04-05-2014, 17:00
I have been living in Russia since 1990 and I have been receiving mail , including new credit cards, by normal post with address in English from my UK bank since then and have never lost anything , touch wood!

penka
05-05-2014, 09:19
My replacement card was send to me last year and was delivered alright.

It's better call to DHL, FedEx, or another courier company and ask if they will deliver to RF instead of speculating ad nauseum what is permitted and what is not.

But the regular post I would not trust with that - it always takes me weeks to get a simple letter from Europe.

MilkandGin
15-05-2014, 14:20
They were able to get me new cards within about three days. Thanks!! Still not sure what to do about the lost driver license but oh well. I suppose it's not needed.