PDA

View Full Version : To Redtape.ru members/staff

ezik
24-04-2014, 21:59
As Redtape.ru has been largely unavailable for months now, we assume that things at your side are not going as planned/expected.

Expat.ru has always seen Redtape.ru as an addition to the Runet for Expats. Competition was definitely there, but Redtape.ru appearing in 2007 actually made Expat.ru grow, so we have a lot to thank you for.

Whenever a free (in many aspects) online forum for Expats in Russia (and Russians affiliating with Expats) ceases to exist, it is a loss. Redtape.ru and Expat.ru shared the philosophy of being free sites, trying to provide the best and most informative threads on the web.

If you face technological problems in keeping Redtape.ru online, Expat.ru will be happy to provide assistance.

In the meantime, all Redtape.ru members, if not already registered on Expat.ru, are cordially invited to join the discussions here.

RIKO
24-04-2014, 22:27
As Redtape.ru has been largely unavailable for months now, we assume that things at your side are not going as planned/expected Anyone know why Redtape.ru is suddenly offline? [By the way, it's worked very well until a few days ago so it's not at all accurate to say that it's been "largely unavailable for months .."!]

ezik
24-04-2014, 23:09
Reports about Redtape.ru being difficult to access go back to February. That is a few months in my book.

If a site goes off-line, the usual practice is to offer an archive. You will still be able to read posts, but commenting is not an option.

In the Redtape scenario, there is no archive and no host/webpage telling any reasons about the inavailability. If you are serious about a website, you migitate these options. My observation that is that anybody visiting Redtape.ru is left without a clue. No explanation. No expectations. Site down, welcome to 1990.

If Redtape resurrects, I'll be happy. Good to have a competitor!

Every member of Redtape is welcome here in the meantime. We all want a good Expat community, right?

Anyone know why Redtape.ru is suddenly offline? [By the way, it's worked very well until a few days ago so it's not at all accurate to say that it's been "largely unavailable for months .."!]

Remington
25-04-2014, 12:09
Anyone know why Redtape.ru is suddenly offline? [By the way, it's worked very well until a few days ago so it's not at all accurate to say that it's been "largely unavailable for months .."!]

Redtape.ru had problems with their web hosting providers. I told them to look elsewhere months ago but they didn't listen. Once you start having problems with web hosting providers... its time to look else because they simply don't care to fix the problems quickly enough. It looks like inmotionhosting is run by amateurs. That's what you get for signing up with dirt cheap web hosting providers.

All dirt cheap web hostings are fine for amateurs or kiddie websites but they're not okay for business or professional websites. Big hard drives, fast cpu or large memory means nothing if you have 1,000 clients on the server and performance suffers badly. Professional webhosting providers will limit to around 100 clients per server for optimal performance but it won't be cheap. So you have two different kind of web hosting providers... one is interested in number of clients and other is interested in keeping optimal performance.

Benedikt
25-04-2014, 12:20
In the meantime, all Redtape.ru members, if not already registered on Expat.ru, are cordially invited to join the discussions here.[/QUOTE]

as long as they keep to the etiquette,style and courtesy on Expat, which in my opinions is quite different than what was (still is?) on redtape.

jasone65
25-04-2014, 13:27
Redtape appears to be back online now.