PDA

View Full Version : Russia no gas, Crimea no water...

Benedikt
23-04-2014, 22:39
from todays evening news,
During the cccp heydays pioneers dug a canal from the -mainland- to the peninsular. to get fresh water to the farmers for irrigation.
Now Kiev has closed the sluice gates. and the farmers are sitting on dry wells...
They are highly indignant of course, demanding that the water will return. fat chance they have in my opinion and they should have thought about that also a little bit earlier.
slowly the -russians- are waking up to reality and all over sudden find out that the grass is indeed not greener on the other side. to the contrary, if there will be no water, soon there will be nothing.
can't have the cake AND eat it, does not work that way,never has!

Remington
23-04-2014, 22:52
from todays evening news,
During the cccp heydays pioneers dug a canal from the -mainland- to the peninsular. to get fresh water to the farmers for irrigation.
Now Kiev has closed the sluice gates. and the farmers are sitting on dry wells...
They are highly indignant of course, demanding that the water will return. fat chance they have in my opinion and they should have thought about that also a little bit earlier.

It's mother Russia's responsibility to provide water, gas and electricity to Crimea. It's no longer Ukraine's problem and you're right... they should have thought about it before participating in fake referendum and now they are paying the price for their stupidity. C'est la vie!

okiey
23-04-2014, 23:25
It's mother Russia's responsibility to provide water, gas and electricity to Crimea. It's no longer Ukraine's problem and you're right... they should have thought about it before participating in fake referendum and now they are paying the price for their stupidity. C'est la vie!

Anyone who has lived in Russia will have experienced the inconvenience of no hot water or water for a week or two each summer, I think the Crimeans will also manage until Mother Russia reconnects them with Donbass:)

Alan65
23-04-2014, 23:43
Anyone who has lived in Russia will have experienced the inconvenience of no hot water or water for a week or two each summer, I think the Crimeans will also manage until Mother Russia reconnects them with Donbass:)

The sooner the donbass is reconnected there will be a lot more babyshki and tutushkis wanting payments from Moscow.

okiey
23-04-2014, 23:50
The sooner the donbass is reconnected there will be a lot more babyshki and tutushkis wanting payments from Moscow.

They'll at least get their payments and considerably more than what Kiev gives.

Not sure where the money will come from to pay those left behind in the western areas of Ukraine.

Russian Lad
24-04-2014, 00:14
slowly the -russians- are waking up to reality and all over sudden find out that the grass is indeed not greener on the other side. to the contrary, if there will be no water, soon there will be nothing.
can't have the cake AND eat it, does not work that way,never has!

You are finally beginning to understand something or it is my wild imagination?:)

Alan65
24-04-2014, 01:24
You are finally beginning to understand something or it is my wild imagination?:)

Pioneers or prisoners?

Alan65
24-04-2014, 01:27
They'll at least get their payments and considerably more than what Kiev gives.

Not sure where the money will come from to pay those left behind in the western areas of Ukraine.

So....tutushkis should get payments for what?

Benedikt
24-04-2014, 05:12

this is a huge channel for irrigation purposes, several m wide and deep.

Benedikt
24-04-2014, 05:16

i read here and there, was news on this and that TV station and only after that i make up my opinion about things.

Russian Lad
24-04-2014, 06:14
i read here and there, was news on this and that TV station and only after that i make up my opinion about things.

Well, I take it as "yes". Welcome to the club.:)

AstarD
24-04-2014, 12:28
Russia Suggests Up Front Payments for Water Supply to Crimea (http://www.ooskanews.com/story/2014/04/russia-suggests-front-payments-water-supply-crimea_160306)

23 Apr 2014 - 10:23 by OOSKAnews Correspondent
MOSCOW, RUSSIA

On April 21, Russian Agriculture Minister Nikolai Fyodorov said Russia was prepared to pay up front for water services that Ukraine provides to the Crimean peninsula, but was being hampered by political factors.

“We are ready to pay up front … but we can’t do this due to political reasons,” Fyodorov said.

The new Russian authorities on the recently annexed peninsula have announced that they are preparing a large-scale project to encourage new agriculture in the area. This will require much more water to be supplied through the North Crimean Canal, which brings freshwater from the Ukrainian mainland.

The addition of irrigation infrastructure will make a large part of northern Crimea capable of utilizing its climate, much milder than almost any other part of Russia, to produce a range of food items that up to now have had to be imported at great expense to Russian consumers.

“We are preparing a very intensive program of melioration in Crimea, seeking different scenarios to solve the problem [of irrigation water supply],” Fyodorov said.

“I can guarantee that Crimean villagers will receive a lot [of money] from the national budget,” he added.

Fyodorov’s remarks reflect the continuing role played by freshwater provision in the ongoing tensions between Russia and Ukraine. While the main focus of division has now moved to the eastern part of the Ukrainian mainland, there is still a great deal of friction around Crimea.

The Crimean economy, which Russia has promised to revitalize, will still need Ukrainian cooperation to provide larger amounts of water to enable agricultural expansion.

Russian authorities stress that any payment arrangement with Ukraine for water services will be short term, as they assess a variety of options for joining Crimea to the Russian water networks or making it self-sufficient by building desalination plants.

On April 18, Crimean authorities said Kyiv had completely stopped water supply to the peninsula via the North Crimean Canal; Ukrainian authorities said that the proper agreements that would allow supply to continue had not been signed. Officials in Crimea claim they have in fact handed over a few draft agreements to Ukraine.

Also on April 18, Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev claimed he had initiated discussions with Israeli companies on installing desalination plants on the peninsula.

This week, Evgeniy Dod, head of Russian hydropower company RusHydro, said his firm would also work on preparing projects to support water supply in Crimea.

“We are planning to prepare some offers for the government to improve the quality and reliability of water supply to the Crimean population and industries … They will be studied by a working group, already created and containing representatives from several ministries and agencies. Our offers will be ready in late April to early May,” Dod said.

He said other ways to provide water to the peninsula include bringing adding water from two small local rivers to the North Crimean Canal, using groundwater reserves and working to decrease water losses in the canal system.

Currently, Crimean authorities are using water from reservoirs filled by artesian wells and mountain rivers.

Dmitry Belik, one of the acting chairs of the municipal administration in the Crimean city of Sevastopol, said the city had freshwater reserves that could last another five months. He said Sevastopol would be supplied by the Chernorechensky Water Reservoir, which is currently holding 33 million cubic meters of water outof a total capacity of 64 million cubic meters.