PDA

View Full Version : getting married in Russia

monkey-girl
16-01-2008, 04:30
Hello! I've got a couple of questions in relation to rules/procedures applicable for registering marriage in Russia. Please share your personal experience (if any).

We plan on getting married in Russia (I am a Russian citizen, my husband to be is British and intends to travel on a business visa).

Question No.1: considering the hassle with getting visas on the basis of private invitations (so-called "private visas") is it okay for a British citizen to submit a relevant application to ZAGS (Registry office) having a business visa?

Question No.2: has anyone managed to get married without having to wait for one month from the date when the application is filed with ZAGS (i.e. on the basis of a visa that is due to expire or a ticket booked for a specific date)?

Question No.3: Is anyone aware of the average period of time for getting a relevant (spouse's) visa issued in the UK Embassy?

Question No.4: does a UK citizen need to go to the Ministry of Russian Affairs (MID) in person to get the documents legalised or whether it is possible to send courier or an authorised representative (on the basis of a power of Attorney?) <-- I've tried ringing MID today yet the line was engaged most of the day

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

phoenixsampras
16-01-2008, 09:57
Why you just don't marry in England? Once you married, you just need to fill the form in the embassy saying you both are married. Voila!. With this paper you go to your local OVIR and register the marriage. There is some papers needs to be apostilized(?!), i don't remember which ones (you can ask your Ovir officer)

Digenis Akritas
16-01-2008, 12:35
I'm a US citizen and my wife is Russian. We were married at ZAGS in June 2007. As with all things in Russia, especially when visas are concerned, things change often. As such, I'm not totally sure if our experience will be exactly what you will encounter. For what it's worth, here are our answers to your questions:

Question No.1: considering the hassle with getting visas on the basis of private invitations (so-called "private visas") is it okay for a British citizen to submit a relevant application to ZAGS (Registry office) having a business visa?

I was on a 1-year multi-entry business (delovaya) visa when we were married. We had no problems or issues related to this at all. Nothing.

Question No.2: has anyone managed to get married without having to wait for one month from the date when the application is filed with ZAGS (i.e. on the basis of a visa that is due to expire or a ticket booked for a specific date)?

I'm pretty sure you'll have to wait a month or even more from the date you file your documents. That's been the case of everyone I know. It's not just because of long queues, it's just the law apparently.

If your husband is not already living in Russia, then you may be better off getting married in the UK. My understanding is that even there (in the UK) there will be a wait from the time you file for marriage and the date you will be legally married.

Question No.3: Is anyone aware of the average period of time for getting a relevant (spouse's) visa issued in the UK Embassy?

What type of visa are you referring to here? You cannot get a spouse visa if you are not legally married. Are you asking about the visa you would need to go to the UK and get married to your fiance there? Not sure how long it takes, but I can ask a Brit friend this evening.

Question No.4: does a UK citizen need to go to the Ministry of Russian Affairs (MID) in person to get the documents legalised or whether it is possible to send courier or an authorised representative (on the basis of a power of Attorney?)

Not sure. I went myself and I have to say it was quite an easy and pleasant experience. But if your husband needs to be here to file the initial paperwork at ZAGS anyway, then he could probably go to MID in person himself, right?

monkey-girl
16-01-2008, 15:44
Why you just don't marry in England? Once you married, you just need to fill the form in the embassy saying you both are married. Voila!. With this paper you go to your local OVIR and register the marriage. There is some papers needs to be apostilized(?!), i don't remember which ones (you can ask your Ovir officer)

Well, in our case it seems easier as we are both in the UK at the moment and my visa is about to expire, so if we want to get married in the UK I'll have to file an application for a fiancee visa first (500 quid), go back to the UK and get married there, then come back to Russia and get my Russian documents sorted (change my surname, get new passports, both internal and foreign one - not sure whether you can do it in the UK at Russian Embassy, perhaps it's possible), then apply for a spouse visa in the UK Embassy (another 500 quid).

Still doesn't seem to be the best option.

monkey-girl
16-01-2008, 15:55
What type of visa are you referring to here? You cannot get a spouse visa if you are not legally married. Are you asking about the visa you would need to go to the UK and get married to your fiance there? Not sure how long it takes, but I can ask a Brit friend this evening.

I was referring to the spouse visa issued by the UK Embassy after we get married. The trouble is that I have to be in the UK in mid April to attend my Open University law exam so we are simply looking for the best option to speed it all up. I also asked about MID (filing the documents through a courier/representative) so that I could possibly try and go to Russia earlier, get all the documents done, file our applications to ZAGS: my application and an application of my husband to be (notarised in Russian consulate in the UK as Russian law gives the option of filing the application to ZAGS by only one of us).
As we are both in the UK at the moment it seems reasonable for my fiancee to stay in the UK while I am sorting out the documents rather than having to stay in Russia for more than a month or traveling back and forth.

vantru
29-01-2008, 14:02
If your future spouse doesn't live in Russia you are definately better off getting married in England and then deal with registering your marrriage in Russia.
I just got married (I am an Italian citizen), 26th Dec 2007, and what Digenis Akritas told you is basically what it will happen then I can tell you what I did.

First of all when you file the documents you will have to pay for the apostille which will be done after you will be married at an address that they will give you.
With the apostilled marriage certificate you will go to your spouse's embassy and your marriage will be registered in your spouse's country....after the registration is done you can apply for a visa (in my case it took 3 days)...the all process should not take more than 5 days.

Good luck

sashadidi
16-02-2008, 06:48
re question 2 we paid a doctor to say my wife was pregnant and only a few days waiting!!!

pullar
26-02-2008, 23:51
Question No.4: does a UK citizen need to go to the Ministry of Russian Affairs (MID) in person to get the documents legalised or whether it is possible to send courier or an authorised representative (on the basis of a power of Attorney?) <-- I've tried ringing MID today yet the line was engaged most of the day

Your fiance's certificate of no impediment has to be apostilled. This can be done in London in 24 hours if you take it in in person, and this way is much quicker than getting it apostilled at the British Embassy here and then having it certified by MID. Then all the documents have to be translated into Russian and notarised in Russia before they can be submitted to ZAGS

55North
23-03-2008, 18:38
I am presently going through the process, with a view to marry in early May.

For all paperwork and guidance, I am using.....

RealRussia.co.uk - Russian Visas, Tourist Visa, Business Visa, Visa support (http://www.realrussia.co.uk/translate/marriage.asp)

Offices in London and Moscow. Costs , but absolutely reliable. I am impressed so far.

kapione
23-03-2008, 19:14
1 you need to go to ZAGs in the city you plan on marrying talk to them, also ask your embassy what you need to do on that end
2 you will need to have your passport translated ,and officially notorized
(PM me as to info where I went for this )
3you will sign forms then you can ask for and get a special curcumstances same day wedding , but you need a real good reason,or you will need to wait 4 to 5 weeks go back then set the Wedding date

if I can be any more help Private message me

Bels
23-03-2008, 20:15
From reading these posts, I 'd go with kapione on this one. It's obvious why you want to marry in Moscow and save yourselves a lot of trouble and expense. I'm a Brit who was on a business visa, and got married in Russia to a Russian.

First step is to go to the British Embassy and get the necessary documents.

Andy B
24-03-2008, 04:31
I found getting married in Russia very easy (Brit on a Biz visa married to a Russian), and fun!

We had to wait the 1 month, but that wasn't an issue for us. The only slight hiccup we had was the Embassy translated my name slighly differently than my passport translation (my fault for not checking before hand)... my advice is to check everything and do not assume. Other than that I was pleasantly suprised how straight forward it all was.

Bels
24-03-2008, 11:23
It must be a common mistake, translation mistakes on names, because it also happened to me. Yes , check everything.

BrianS
24-03-2008, 14:04
I'm an American and got married to a Russian in Russia. Very fun and unique experience. I would highly recommend it! The process seemed pretty easy and straightforward and ummmm you can PM me about the 30 day wait. ;-)

TVmoto
23-09-2011, 00:36
I'm an American and just starting this process. My fiancee has been denied a tourist visa twice now (for BS reasons) so we will just plan to marry there. Any advice is most welcome.

Maria Yefremova
23-09-2011, 20:01
Well, in our case it seems easier as we are both in the UK at the moment and my visa is about to expire, so if we want to get married in the UK I'll have to file an application for a fiancee visa first (500 quid), go back to the UK and get married there, then come back to Russia and get my Russian documents sorted (change my surname, get new passports, both internal and foreign one - not sure whether you can do it in the UK at Russian Embassy, perhaps it's possible), then apply for a spouse visa in the UK Embassy (another 500 quid).

Still doesn't seem to be the best option.

As far as I understand, you can marry in the UK having any type of visa and then apply for a spouse visa in the UK or in Russia. until May 2011 it was necessary to get some sort of certificate from the UK authorities to do that but not any more.

africatwin
29-02-2012, 00:50
I found getting married in Russia very easy (Brit on a Biz visa married to a Russian), and fun!

We had to wait the 1 month, but that wasn't an issue for us. The only slight hiccup we had was the Embassy translated my name slighly differently than my passport translation (my fault for not checking before hand)... my advice is to check everything and do not assume. Other than that I was pleasantly suprised how straight forward it all was.

Nice to see the welsh in Russia.I am planning to get married in Novorsibirsk this July,i am living in Wales,i have a copy of a decree absolute,and am applying for the certificate of no impediment on April 2,i will then have them apossiled in the ,u.k. along with a copy of my passport and will be taking them with me to russia to be translated and notorized for legal use by zags .I would be happy if you could give me any tip's, do i need to get document's notorized in the uk,is there a time limit on the impediment document and will my address in the uk.be on the impedament document be legal proof of where i live.Hope to hear from you soon all the best, africa.

robertmf
29-02-2012, 01:09
I'm an American and just starting this process. My fiancee has been denied a tourist visa twice now (for BS reasons) so we will just plan to marry there. Any advice is most welcome.

Well, of course, "why" denied :question:

Don't confuse the government immigration process with a religious or civil wedding. Bring her over to US on a K-1. This is assuming you've met within the past 2 years. The K-1 is valid for marriage within 90 days. After 2 years she gets a green card (actually pink). Don't miss any deadlines for paperwork filings.

olgaw
29-02-2012, 12:33

I'm not sure what the rules are now, but we've tried to legalize our marriage in ZAGS not MID. For that they required a translated, notarized and apostilled marriage license. We didn't have the apostille back then so we just gave up. However I've never had any problem to prove in Russia that my husband is my husband. Our US Marriage License (appostilled, translated, and notarized) worked just fine despite of the different last names of my husband and I.
However 10 years later we were legalized (I believe that the legalization is just a record in ZAGS) when we got a child in Moscow, as the Birth Certificate was issued by ZAGS as well.
The name change is a completely different story. There is a translation chart for the alphabet used by ZAGS. A friend of mine run into such a problem with name Jonson. Jonson - Джонсон - Dzonson in her Russian passport. Then you'll run into a mess of changing all the existing documents. I skipped that and have two names, it is also works, just need a proof (picture ID) that both names are yours.

sashadidi
01-03-2012, 11:46
sorry repeated info

Alexia
17-03-2012, 00:08
Russia does not recognize other citizenships beside Russian. If you have children with a Russian woman they will be considered only Russian no matter what nationality you are or where they are born. If you then divorce, she can take and keep the children from you easily in Russia, and there will be nothing you can do. Not even the Hague Convention, which Russia recently signed, will help you, as Russia has shown it has no intention to honor it by giving its children back to the foreign father.

Read:
bringflorentinekidshome

natlee
17-03-2012, 00:15
As far as I understand, you can marry in the UK having any type of visa and then apply for a spouse visa in the UK or in Russia. Nope, you can only marry in the UK on a fiancee visa.

johnnyd
01-06-2012, 00:04
Can you let me know what documents are needed for ZAGS? I am supposed to get married in Kazan soon but am having trouble getting the correct documents in order. I was told my divorce decree from the court was not the correct document so now I assume they need an affidavit but the affidavit I found was in Russian and they want one in English. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

carly
19-06-2012, 04:00
Hello! I've got a couple of questions in relation to rules/procedures applicable for registering marriage in Russia. Please share your personal experience (if any).

We plan on getting married in Russia (I am a Russian citizen, my husband to be is British and intends to travel on a business visa).

What is it with British men and Russian women? Seen a couple of threads similar to this one! :confused:

Draenog
21-06-2012, 17:57
Nice to see the welsh in Russia.I am planning to get married in Novorsibirsk this July,i am living in Wales,i have a copy of a decree absolute,and am applying for the certificate of no impediment on April 2,i will then have them apossiled in the ,u.k. along with a copy of my passport and will be taking them with me to russia to be translated and notorized for legal use by zags .I would be happy if you could give me any tip's, do i need to get document's notorized in the uk,is there a time limit on the impediment document and will my address in the uk.be on the impedament document be legal proof of where i live.Hope to hear from you soon all the best, africa.

Hi Africa Twin,

I would be very interested to keep up with your progress please. I have a 12 month working visa that I am waiting for and want to get married in Russia to a Russian girl. I need to know how you fare and what documents I need if any from UK before I go... I like to be prepared. :) Keep in touch please. Thanks.. Draenog

Draenog
21-06-2012, 18:00

Thanks for the info, very useful. I am Welsh and I am going to Russia on a 12 month Work visa soon. My girlfriend (Russian) and I plan to marry next Spring. I will have a multi entry visa but I am wondering, are there any must have documents I need to get from UK government before I go to avoid the expense of having to come back?
Ta Draenog

Draenog
21-06-2012, 18:02
Okay, stupid question.... what are impediment papers, what is the point of them, is to confirm I am not bankrupt or still married or something? And where do I get one from? UK ? if so where? Russia? If so where? Thanks

FatAndy
21-06-2012, 19:22
What is it with British men and Russian women? Seen a couple of threads similar to this one! :confused:
It - what? Ppl want to marry, it is nice, isn't it?

carly
22-06-2012, 04:34
It - what? Ppl want to marry, it is nice, isn't it?

I meant why British men and Russian women rather than British women and Russian men? I don't understand... Maybe there is something unpleasant about British women?

Also, they barely know each other (most people marry after a long time, but with these types of marriages - that don't last long for the most part - they get married after a couple of weeks/months!)

DavidB
22-06-2012, 05:00
I meant why British men and Russian women rather than British women and Russian men? I don't understand... Maybe there is something unpleasant about British women?

Eastern girls generally behave in a more traditional way than their strong and independent Western counterparts. It just so happens that men don't find strength and independence to be very attractive qualities. Don't blame us for it - we were born this way. It's due to thousands of years of biological evolution.

I wasn't born at the time, but I heard that Western girls developed such superpowers during the '60s and '70s. They called it "feminizzm."

DavidB
22-06-2012, 05:04
Okay, stupid question.... what are impediment papers, what is the point of them, is to confirm I am not bankrupt or still married or something? And where do I get one from? UK ? if so where? Russia? If so where? Thanks

http://ukinrussia.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-russia/how-register-marriage-or

carly
22-06-2012, 05:18
Eastern girls generally behave in a more traditional way than their strong and independent Western counterparts. It just so happens that men don't find strength and independence to be very attractive qualities. Don't blame us for it - we were born this way. It's due to thousands of years of biological evolution.

I wasn't born at the time, but I heard that Western girls developed such superpowers during the '60s and '70s. They called them "feminizzm."

That's the kind of attitude we need to change because you were NOT born this way, but chose to act like this to reduce women to a position of inferiority.

Dear Lord, I think the only option now for many women is to turn gay. :(

DavidB
22-06-2012, 05:21
That's the kind of attitude we need to change because you were NOT born this way, but chose to act like this to reduce women to a position of inferiority.

My lower brain tells me the opposite. :rofl:

carly
22-06-2012, 05:24
My lower brain tells me the opposite. :rofl:

yes, make fun... men have always loved to ridicule women and mock their ideas/statements.

DavidB
22-06-2012, 05:32
There are other variants in nature... female spiders kill their husbands after mating. But karma comes around to them, because she then gets eaten by her new born babies.

I think the normal mammal system is better.

P.s. it doesn't mean inferiority, just different roles. I often feel that Russian girls are in control due to psychological skills that they have.

carly
22-06-2012, 05:45
There are other variants in nature... female spiders kill their husbands after mating. But karma comes around to them, because she then gets eaten by her new born babies.

I think the normal mammal system is better.

P.s. it doesn't mean inferiority, just different roles. I often feel that Russian girls are in control due to psychological skills that they have.

I don't see the point of making this statement as it just serves to tarnish even more the image of strong female figures (the female spider displays her strength by killing her mate, only to be 'punished' because obviously any show of strength on her part is bad???) However, this logic does not seem to apply to male animals/humans etc...

Anyhow, although I know such men are a rare species, I am still looking for one that does not have a typical 'male' mindset that has been corrupting men since the birth of mankind.

FatAndy
22-06-2012, 09:20
Have you ever visited Russia/Ukraine/Belorussia? ;)

DavidB
22-06-2012, 17:12
Anyhow, although I know such men are a rare species, I am still looking for one that does not have a typical 'male' mindset that has been corrupting men since the birth of mankind.

I believe the kind of man you're looking for can be found in establishments known as "gay bars."

Other male homo sapiens have a 50000 year history of being normal men, so please allow some time for us to evolve. I think 10-20000 years should do it. :D

Draenog
23-06-2012, 21:10
http://ukinrussia.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-russia/how-register-marriage-or

Thanks DavidB so I need to get just the no impediment papers yes? And then get them notarised and translated yes?

Do I need to get any of these other papers that they are talking about? I guess I can still get them online once I am out in Russia.

Is it cheaper to get papers translated, notorised and etc in UK or Russia?

It'll be the end of next year before we get married anyway. I guess I just want to get the process right in my head first. By the end of the first year we may decide we just don't want to be with each other. lol.

I get the impression that most of these papers are simply cash grabs by either government. Or is that me just being pessimistic in my middle age?lol

DavidB
23-06-2012, 23:00
Thanks DavidB so I need to get just the no impediment papers yes? And then get them notarised and translated yes?

Do I need to get any of these other papers that they are talking about? I guess I can still get them online once I am out in Russia.

Is it cheaper to get papers translated, notorised and etc in UK or Russia?

It'll be the end of next year before we get married anyway. I guess I just want to get the process right in my head first. By the end of the first year we may decide we just don't want to be with each other. lol.

I get the impression that most of these papers are simply cash grabs by either government. Or is that me just being pessimistic in my middle age?lol

So if you are in Russia, you should do the following:
1. Apply for a CNI at the British Consulate. They will issue the certificate in Russian after a 21 day wait.
2. Once the CNI has been issued, you then have to take it to the Russian Foreign Ministry in Moscow to be "legalised." They will verify that the British consular official's signature on the CNI is the same as the one on file and then stamp the document.
3. You can then take the legalised CNI to one of the "wedding palaces," which are not actually palaces, but government offices established under the Soviet system. They will make you wait another 30 days and then you can get married. Along with the CNI, you'll need a notarised translation of your passport and photocopies of various other pages of yours and your fiancee's passports. You might as well get a few notarised translations, because they're needed for a lot of things in Russia.

You can do everything in Russia, and it's easier that way, especially if you're in Moscow.

The documents are an archaic relic of the legal system and serve no practical purpose. The time and cost is due to the usual inefficiency which can be found in all government departments. If they wanted to, our politicians could eliminate most of the steps, make it possible to order everything online, and have it posted by the next day to anywhere in the world. I'm glad I don't pay much tax.

onlygod
26-06-2012, 11:09
I have a question regarding "marital status paper".
I am foreigner and I got this document for myself in my country, showing that I'm not married, when was I born, who are my parents, but at the bottom of the document, there is a line, there is no legal objections to getting married to: Name, Nationality.

Now, when I was making this document, they asked me, who am I getting married to, I told them I'm getting married in Russia and they said that I should bring fotocopies of Birth Certificate and Passport of my future spouse, translated from Russian with appostile. I was in a hurry and didn't have time to do this, so I told them to leave it blank.

Now, my question, will it be a problem here in ZAGS that I don't have my future spouses name on my marital status paper? Do they look for this here in Russia? I don't see why it should matter, I'm free to get married, it's more related to my home country and them automatically accepting this marrige outside my home country.

Arthuro
30-06-2012, 03:53

It depends. The government usually do not charge much for this.

It is a routine bureacratic stuff when the governments do not trust much each other ( the same as keeping visa regimes, etc).
In this situation I'm sure it is the UK who do not trust Russia=)
Meanwhile there are countries (Spain for instance) who signed agreement with Russia, simplifying these things

chadushka
17-07-2012, 17:24

For young Russian women trying to visit the US, it's almost impossible to get a visa. Visa officers are the country's 'gatekeepers' and are expected expected to air on the side of caution - looking for any reason to disqualify applicants. The assumption, however unfair it is, is that Eastern European women are just looking to either live there illegally as sex workers or that they're going husband-hunting (or perhaps both).

Be that as it may, what you've done (provided I've understood your post correctly) is illegal. One cannot get married in the US on a tourist visa, and trying to do so counts as material misrepresentation (your fiancee is not a 'tourist' when she's planning on marrying a US citizen) and can get her permanently banned from the US if you're not careful. You can either apply for a fiancee visa (K1) and get married in the US, or you can get married abroad and get her a spousal visa/K3 in the US. Both routes take a long time, and she won't be able to enter the US for about 7-9 months, even as a tourist, while the visa is being processed. The point of all this is, if you're trying to get her into the US ASAP, marrying abroad won't solve your problems. My fiancee and I are getting married in Russia and I'm simply planning to work overseas while the (spousal) visa is pending so we can still live together. We got a lawyer to make the process simpler so we can concentrate on other things and they've been worth their weight in gold. I'd recommend you to look into an immigration lawyer as well... only because your fiancee has been rejected twice, which will be one of the first things they ask her about during a immigration interview.

Oh yeah, for more information on US immigration you should check out visa journeys (I can't post links yet). They may have more specific information for you on US immigration than what you'll find here...

Wigout6
14-08-2012, 23:38
> For young Russian women trying to visit the US, it's almost impossible to get a visa.

I don't know how you define "young" but my mid-30's girlfriend (now my wife) from Russia received a U.S. visa on her first application, as well as three subsequent trips. Maybe the fact that she had a son back home persuaded the officials she would return to Russia.

> Be that as it may, what you've done (provided I've understood your post correctly) is illegal. One cannot get married in the US on a tourist visa

So... you're saying that we committed some sort of crime by getting married last month while she was here in the USA on a tourist visa? We received an official marriage certificate (and apostille) from the city where I live, and then she flew home and obtained an official stamp in her passport. I don't expect any problems in the future - do you think I should?

Arthuro
15-08-2012, 01:05
So... you're saying that we committed some sort of crime by getting married last month while she was here in the USA on a tourist visa? We received an official marriage certificate (and apostille) from the city where I live, and then she flew home and obtained an official stamp in her passport. I don't expect any problems in the future - do you think I should?

Some sort of a crime yes.. Of course it won't affect your wife.
But it certainly will affect her close relatives if they decide to apply for the US visa..

That is the US and their immigration policy..
It sounds very stupid, but according to the view of US immigration authorities, you can't marry on a tourist visa.
you should come back home and get a fiancee visa or marry somewhere else..)

BabyFirefly
15-08-2012, 01:31
>

Technically she needed to have a fiance visa to marry you Stateside, but it's only a problem if you intended to marry in the US and STAY there by adjusting status from a tourist visa. If you got married there and then left the country (by the date you had told the POE at whichever airport you went through) you're fine.

Arthuro
15-08-2012, 02:12
Yes, that's right..
If marry on a tourist visa then come back and apply for spouse visa (or how it's called) - it's not a violation.
I didn't put it clearly

Wigout6
15-08-2012, 05:26
Well, she obtained a 2 year visa before coming this summer and getting married, so she won't have to apply again for a while. I hope that means we're in the clear, and won't have to worry about obtaining a spouse or fiancee visa, at least for 21 more months.

We are planning to also marry in Russia next year so we can celebrate with her relatives. Do you think getting married in Russia will make it easier to get a visa for her son (from an earlier marriage)? He's never visited the U.S., but I guess you think he'll have problems.

BabyFirefly
15-08-2012, 05:38
I don't understand by your last post if you're already married or not (or if you just want a second marriage ceremony in Russia?), but if you're married to her already, it's risky to go back to the States... some officers at the POE's won't let her in since once she is in she can decide to adjust status as she is married to you, saving her the CR1 visa requirement thing.

If you both live in Moscow, you can file a marriage visa directly at the consulate, that's what my husband and I did, and we got it in about a month and a half, waaaaaay faster than the average processing time which is at 10-11 months.

Wigout6
15-08-2012, 08:02
We'll probably do a 2nd ceremony in a Russian Orthodox church next year, though technically we're already married because of the ceremony in the USA. Now, she's back in Russia with plans to move here later on, but will definitely come to visit the USA next year on the 2 year visa she already received.

Thanks for the warning, but how will anyone at the POE even know about our marriage? She already has the visa, and I don't think they've asked her if she's married to an American the past 4 times she came here.

BabyFirefly
15-08-2012, 19:13
They might ask who she's coming/staying with

expatindian
04-09-2012, 15:08
Hi all,

I am having this same kind of confusion regarding my marriage plans with my Russian gf.
Currently i live in Barcelona and i want to move to Moscow to get married with my Russian gf. The thing is that, what kind of Visa should i apply? Will it be Tourist/Business/Private? I can guess that getting a PRIVATE visa will be very mush of a hassle. So either to go for tourist or business kind of visa which i can guess. Now here is the main confusion for me, how can i get a BUsiness Visa to come to russia if i am not coming for any business purpose.

Cheers..

Sougata

Remington
04-09-2012, 15:56
Hi all,

I am having this same kind of confusion regarding my marriage plans with my Russian gf.
Currently i live in Barcelona and i want to move to Moscow to get married with my Russian gf. The thing is that, what kind of Visa should i apply? Will it be Tourist/Business/Private? I can guess that getting a PRIVATE visa will be very mush of a hassle. So either to go for tourist or business kind of visa which i can guess. Now here is the main confusion for me, how can i get a BUsiness Visa to come to russia if i am not coming for any business purpose.

It's simple to get business visa but you need to check with the Russian consulate in your city and find out what documents they need for business visa. You do need an invitation letter first before getting the visa. Check with the agencies in your city if they can get you an invitation and they also can process the visa for you if needed.

Tourist visa is only good for 30 days.
Private visa is good for 90 days.
Business visa is good for 90, 180 or 360 days but there's 90/180 days rule. So 90 days business visa is better. You will more likely will have to get another 90 days visa since TRP takes up to 6 months to process.

Many people get business visa because it's longer than 30 days and its easier to get. Russian consulate may ask you to write a short letter about your work and why you're going to Moscow. Some consulates ask for it and others do not. It's simple to say you're attending a business conference. You don't need to give details.

If you're worried if consulate will ask you many questions then its better to get private visa. It takes one month to process a private invitation and you take it to the consulate to get private visa.

Wigout6
06-09-2012, 05:27
After next Monday, we'll supposedly be able to get a 3 year visa that allows for a 6 month stay in Russia...

http://www.mid.ru/bdomp/brp_4.nsf/e78a48070f128a7b43256999005bcbb3/eb7b90d11683d09244257a5b00342934!OpenDocument