PDA

View Full Version : Quitting or getting fired

finnandcork
14-04-2014, 13:25
What happens to ones work visa. Please, surmises but real info please. My boss acts like Im a slave and talks to me like I am a dog. So, I want to quit.

jasone65
14-04-2014, 13:31
Im sure others will be along shortly who are far better equipped to answer your question rather than me, but if your work visa was arranged by your current firm, it will/ they should cancel it and your new employer (if you have one) should arrange a new one for you. This info is what I am sure I have read, but please wait for other comments before taking this as red.
By the by, job hunting is not fun. If possible I would try to stick it out until you have another offer.

robertdg
14-04-2014, 14:03
Yep agree, first find another job b4 quitting. I understand that at least your boss still talks to you :-) Looking at the bright side helped me having a great time in Russia over the last 15 years.
As your work visa is probably also stuck into your p**** you can stay in the country while waiting for the new work visa. All depending on family situation and nationality (being married to a Russian is would be entirely different). At my current employer I was the first foreign hire, and I was lucky to get the visa before it expired and I had to stay in the country for a month one time. Other companies have well oiled HR machines to help you get the paperwork done quickly.
Anyway, deep breath in the morning and there you go again.
Good luck.

penka
14-04-2014, 18:23
I'm not the most knowledgable person on the subject, but quitting whilst on a visa is a risky biz. First, maybe, try to discuss the visa issue with Vadim at Liga (search expat site for that). Secure the visa, then quit. How it will work with the next job assignment - ask Vadim. And certainly, some expats would know.

Good luck, finn, really!

N.Hoffman
14-04-2014, 23:51
I you quit, your employer could ask you to hand over the passport in order to cancel the visa. I you refuse to do so. The employer could report you at the FMS. However this will have bad implication for them as well and starting such a case is in the least very expensive. It will also take a very long time. Basically, once you got your 9-10 months visa extension just walk away and say that you'll leave the country. Then just stay.

Be aware though: You can not get this visa cancelled without their help. So you must wait for its expiration before you can apply for a new visa. Just to keep in mind.

tonytony
15-04-2014, 00:10
What happens to ones work visa. Please, surmises but real info please. My boss acts like Im a slave and talks to me like I am a dog. So, I want to quit.

Are you here on an ordinary work visa or a HQS visa? There are different rules for each.

finnandcork
16-04-2014, 10:00
Its just my boss is a disaster, bipolar at least, psychotic?MaybeI cannot deal with her.....I went to her boss and spilled the beans, she basically said "we will investigate".......meaning months. I asked to be transferred, she said no.
if i quit, will it screw with all visas? If it just messes with work visa...I dont care, ill come on tourist visa

inorcist
16-04-2014, 14:12
Basically, if you quit you job it means you cancel your work contract which forms the basis for you visa. Also, your employer is obliged to inform the migration authorities and will probably also inform the tax authorities because they won't want to pay taxes for you any longer. With a normal work visa you then technically have three days to leave the country.

A few years ago it was no problem to still exit and enter the country as long as there was no void stamp on the visa. This is slowly changing now as the migration office, passport control and so on are unifying and upgrading their databases.

In other words, I wouldn't risk it any more.

finnandcork
16-04-2014, 16:41
two weeks notice....family emergency back home?even my bosses boss said they want to fire me, or so it seems.
so, I can see if they fire me, that looks bad...if I just quit, same. But, two weeks notice "must return"....????

inorcist
16-04-2014, 16:59
To my understanding firing someone is not so easy under Russian labor law unless someone really messed it up. So, usually companies offer some kind of deal to make employees sign a mutual agreement to terminate the contract. That's when you can negotiate for how long they'll keep your visa valid.

Hans.KK
16-04-2014, 17:50
To my understanding firing someone is not so easy under Russian labor law unless someone really messed it upYes that is what I been told by some employers too, and they are frustrated about this.
Just meet up every working day, sit at your desk, and they can't fire you (not even if you are drunk, and/or smell like shit, and/or do a bad job). If you steal or do not show up for a longer period then you have the chance to get fired. That is why it is difficult to find a work (even when you know that the company need employees), it is not that easy to fire people again so they hold back to hire new staff. This is one of the places where Russia should loosen up on the protection of workers, it would create more jobs if the employers easily could fire staff when they are no longer needed.

Jujugal
16-04-2014, 19:57
Hi,
I was also on a normal working visa, and quite last year (10months before the expiration).
I asked my employer, search on web... and didn't find information. I kept my passport so my employer could not cancel it.
3 months later, I left the country without problem. And came back 2weeks after without any question at the border. Again in december to come back in february, no problem. I kept the old registration (the last done by my employer), just in case.
I can't say if my employer canceled or not my working permit (I think he did).

And as people previously said, better find another job before.

N.Hoffman
17-04-2014, 08:58
I had to experience this rule the hard way. Showing up at the visa agency in Vilnius being told to come back once the visa expired.

I can't see a point in the fact that these policies could be combined. Once you lose a job, and the company doesn't cancel your visa. So you must leave Russia within 7 days (not 3 days anymore) but you can't get any other visa until your workvisa has expired. Impossible. If they don't cancel your visa, you simply have the right to stay in Russia. (but you are officially not allowed to work)

You can keep coming to Russia, but you gotta make sure that you'll get a new visa when the workvisa expires.

Where it becomes tricky is when the employer wants to cancel your visa and you don't hand over the passport. In such a case they can go to court to order your visa cancelled. Such a procedure is painful and time consuming and most employers won't do such a thing.

Another thing to keep in mind is that your employer will cancel your registration. Officially you'll need to get another registration. But if you have the registration paper in your hands, not many people can discover that it isn't valid anymore. I currently have an expired registration and I even successfully opened a bankaccount with it.

The bottomline is: when you lose your job and your employer isn't bothered to cancel your visa, nothing to worry about.

Hans.KK
17-04-2014, 09:08
I had to experience this rule the hard way. Showing up at the visa agency in Vilnius being told to come back once the visa expired.What visa did you wanted to apply for, work visa, tourist visa, private visa, or?

finnandcork
17-04-2014, 10:48
Are you here on an ordinary work visa or a HQS visa? There are different rules for each.

I have no idea...I teach English for a well known company, maybe "infamous" is better word....a McDonalds of ESL schools.....

AstarD
17-04-2014, 11:45
I have no idea...I teach English for a well known company, maybe "infamous" is better word....a McDonalds of ESL schools.....
Is it a one-year multi-entry? Or a three-year multi-entry?

N.Hoffman
20-04-2014, 23:42
1 year it seems.

In the case it's a highly skilled working visa, the status of such a visa will need to be reviewed every 3 months. So quitting while on such a visa means you have several months to sort out your visawork before oyu have to get it cancelled.

finnandcork
21-04-2014, 11:12
and , today may be the last cannot deal with these freaks. I can handle crack addled timber beasts, drunk captains, psychotic bosses forcing one to jackhammer stories above a city without ropes, bosses throwing hammers at my head....but, three women, with the charm of Beria, Molotov and Stalin I cannot handle.

ilya25
23-04-2014, 04:13
Yes that is what I been told by some employers too, and they are frustrated about this.
Just meet up every working day, sit at your desk, and they can't fire you (not even if you are drunk, and/or smell like shit, and/or do a bad job). If you steal or do not show up for a longer period then you have the chance to get fired. That is why it is difficult to find a work (even when you know that the company need employees), it is not that easy to fire people again so they hold back to hire new staff. This is one of the places where Russia should loosen up on the protection of workers, it would create more jobs if the employers easily could fire staff when they are no longer needed.

Hans KK. per my knowledge in Russia termination rules are not that bad, to fire a worker in Germany is more complex

ilya25
23-04-2014, 04:18

What sort of a company are you working at? If this is a large company there should be some HR processes to deal with employee's grievance. Employee /boss conflicta are quite common. have you tried to raise it with HR/ next level supervisor? maybe it can be mediated/resolved?

ilya25
23-04-2014, 04:21
To my understanding firing someone is not so easy under Russian labor law unless someone really messed it up. So, usually companies offer some kind of deal to make employees sign a mutual agreement to terminate the contract. That's when you can negotiate for how long they'll keep your visa valid.

Yes that is true. in case of forced termination this is the beat way to handle - negotiate a mutial agreement with severance pay and other conditions (visa, repatriation costs, etc)

N.Hoffman
24-04-2014, 13:32
Yeah I had something like that with one school. We negotiated the process of quitting because they had no more work for me. they told me, you can keep the visa if you resign. Then a few days later they told me. Oh by the way, we cancelled your registration. You got 3 days to leave the country. :grind:
Such untrustworthy assholes they were.

The fact is that even a cancelled registration is not useless. Nowhere can be seen that it's cancelled. No phone number is there. I even opened a bank account with it.