PDA

View Full Version : Hemmingway, or British Berezina in Moscow

14-01-2008, 15:41
Well it happened faster than I thought, seems that the Hemmingway is following the same way than the Titanic!

Let's see if the Captains will be brave enough as those of the Titanic were: they died with their boat. Seems that no, as according to recent rumors, the Hemmingway's chef has already left the house... And a few others too!

Well informed people know that Hemmingway's was created by some former investors of the "Moscow Doug ventures" who were, according to their talks, "tired to lose money and to work with idiots". We see the result now with Hemmingway!

More well informed people also knew that the dark rooms of Hemmingways were used by some very confidential meetings between very discrete pure British gentlemen working for the Queen, and some "local" people loving the GBP. No need to elaborate, it is easy to understand.

The most famous place in Moscow for their cheese fries without cheese is now following the Titanic! Let's remember the poor client who was brave enough to inform about these very special cheese-fries on this forum: He was insulted by the Hemmingway's gang, driven by... The copycat RT site admin! The world is so little...

In fact I was wrong, I thought that RT will close BEFORE Hemmingway! Seems that it is the opposite...

OK, let's be constructive, I offer $100 for the full property of the Hemmingway :) Without the management team, sorry gentlemen :)

Penelope
14-01-2008, 15:46
Did you realize the DJ Biscuit, a moderator on this site (and the one who banned the brave Palokala from Hemingways), is the reason for the hullabaloo on the other site?

Braders
14-01-2008, 16:03
People are quitting their jobs and fellow expats have lost theirs and you find time to ridicule them. Some community spirit you have, I'd take a long look in the mirror because something's wrong with you if that makes you happy.

14-01-2008, 16:11
People who lost their jobs must return themselves against the Hemmingway bosses!! Who managed the place? You know who it is, everybody knows, they must pay compensation to people who lost their jobs.

Those who are ridiculous are those who created the place with such agressive "promotion", and came here to insult unhappy clients.

And people who lost their job trusted too much the "big mouths", and you also know who I am speaking about! Exactly those who have the same big mouth on RT!

Maybe that with this Berezina, expats who blindly follow 2 or 3 idiots that just speak loudly, will understand that the biggest mouths haven't the biggest.... brains!

I am not happy at all of this, I have just no feeling at all. Why would I? But - and I tell you frankly - I will be very happy when RT will close. Not because I support expat.ru, but just because I don't like the arrogance of the RT team (the same than the Hemmingway team!).

Braders
14-01-2008, 16:26
How can anyone respond to that?

You claim to have no 'feelings' on the matter yet create a new thread on the subject. In the very next sentence you say 'I'll be very happy if another website closes', I'm perplexed.

All I see is a person who created a thread berating another website and Hemingway's and of course it's not the first time. It's very boring.

I forgot though, you have no 'feelings' on the matter. :rolleyes:

Penelope
14-01-2008, 16:29
People who lost their jobs must return themselves against the Hemmingway bosses!! Who managed the place? You know who it is, everybody knows, they must pay compensation to people who lost their jobs.

Those who are ridiculous are those who created the place with such agressive "promotion", and came here to insult unhappy clients.

And people who lost their job trusted too much the "big mouths", and you also know who I am speaking about! Exactly those who have the same big mouth on RT!

Maybe that with this Berezina, expats who blindly follow 2 or 3 idiots that just speak loudly, will understand that the biggest mouths haven't the biggest.... brains!

I am not happy at all of this, I have just no feeling at all. Why would I? But - and I tell you frankly - I will be very happy when RT will close. Not because I support expat.ru, but just because I don't like the arrogance of the RT team (the same than the Hemmingway team!).
Didn't DJ Biscuit manage Hemingways?

Judge
14-01-2008, 16:47
Guest does have a point...People who didn't like hemingway's were insulted by others who worshipped the place .It's a shame that DJB lost his job,never met the man buy he seems like a likeable guy .
Good luck to him in finding a new job..

Penelope
14-01-2008, 16:54
Who was insulted?

Judge
14-01-2008, 16:56
Who was insulted?

People who didn't like the place,who went there and put it down.
Did you go? I went a few times and found the place decent,good food and and easy to get too.I'll be going back for sure.

TD
14-01-2008, 17:02
Didn't DJ Biscuit manage Hemingways?

Yes, and he was let go this past Saturday. Here's hoping he moves on to something better where he is properly appreciated.

Penelope
14-01-2008, 17:02
I have been, and enjoyed the food and company. However, when DJ Biscuit would turn up the music so loud that it was impossible to speak with or hear dining and drinking companions, it was time to leave. When asked, he refused to turn down the music.

Judge
14-01-2008, 17:06
I have been, and enjoyed the food and company. However, when DJ Biscuit would turn up the music so loud that it was impossible to speak with or hear dining and drinking companions, it was time to leave. When asked, he refused to turn down the music.

I never stayed that late so i can't really comment on that but you would expect the music to be on the low side in a restaurant.

Penelope
14-01-2008, 17:11
From what I've heard from one shareholder, he even refused to turn it down during lunchtime when they were there doing business.

matlockk
14-01-2008, 17:13
IMHO I think the aforesaid people run a decent website. Running bars and restaurants is a different matter. As Conrad Hilton put it it's all about location location location which makes JB and Molly's successful and Hemingways not.

Judge
14-01-2008, 17:23
From what I've heard from one shareholder, he even refused to turn it down during lunchtime when they were there doing business.
Once a DJ always a DJ,the love of music is strong in them.Business is for business and music is for late hours.

matlockk,that's true,being right in the centre is a big plus.I found Hemmingway's handy because i was working in the area during the day and it wasn't always packed,which is a good thing for me,less people = better service .

Penelope
14-01-2008, 17:28
Well, it is handy for Friday evenings, because you can actually reserve a table. I know many places won't do that.

I want to wait and hear the reasons for the management change before I make any judgements.

I think DJ Biscuit is a good guy, and I hope he finds another good position as a DJ. Perhaps restaurant and bar management is simply not his forte.

TD
14-01-2008, 17:56
I hope he finds another good position as a DJ. Perhaps restaurant and bar management is simply not his forte.

Were you ever at the Phlegmatic Dog/Albion Pub at the Manezh? The former was voted #1 by Yahoo users as the coolest internet cafe they had ever seen (correct me on this if i got it wrong), and the later one of the best expat hangouts ever in Moscow... both were setup and run by DJB.

Penelope
14-01-2008, 18:04
I was at the Phlegmatic Dog. Again, it was too loud. Are they still in operation?

14-01-2008, 18:24

You claim to have no 'feelings' on the matter yet create a new thread on the subject. In the very next sentence you say 'I'll be very happy if another website closes', I'm perplexed.

All I see is a person who created a thread berating another website and Hemingway's and of course it's not the first time. It's very boring.

You are perplex, bored, what else? The truth Or The Truth :)) is always hard to accept.

I didn't create a thread about another website, is that my fault is the Hemmingway team is also the copycat site team?

And yes, I have NO feelings about Hemmingway, but have feelings about the copycat site, not for the site itself but for the arrogance of the team who manages the site. You perfectly know what I mean, don't play the prude virgin girl here!

You see, in fact it is the same on RT or at Hemmingway: When a user/client complains, he is insulted, harassed, and sent to hell. That is why the copycat site will follow the same way than Hemmingway: Titanic!

14-01-2008, 18:32
Guest does have a point...People who didn't like hemingway's were insulted by others who worshipped the place .It's a shame that DJB lost his job,never met the man buy he seems like a likeable guy .
Good luck to him in finding a new job..

Don't know this DJ, but good guys ALWAYS find good places to work! All places in Moscow are not managed by arrogant bosses!

Natkin
14-01-2008, 20:10
Guest, for the person who hates both the other site and the mentioned establishment, you seem to be too update with your information. Weird, innit?

And please, that place is named after a Great Writer, and let us show some respect to his talent by spelling his name correctly. It is Hemingways.
(I guess Palokala`s version of spelling is more popular here.....)

Penelope
14-01-2008, 20:14
Don't know this DJ, but good guys ALWAYS find good places to work! All places in Moscow are not managed by arrogant bosses!
Why would the owners of the establishment fire someone who was making them money?

Natkin
14-01-2008, 20:18
Why would the owners of the establishment fire someone who was making them money?

Probably the money made was not enough?:eh:

14-01-2008, 20:24
Guest, for the person who hates both the other site and the mentioned establishment, you seem to be too update with your information. Weird, innit?

And please, that place is named after a Great Writer, and let us show some respect to his talent by spelling his name correctly. It is Hemingways.
(I guess Palokala`s version of spelling is more popular here.....)

I do not hate anybody/anything about this! I just do not like arrogant people that believe that all is due to them and that play kings here in Moscow. And once more, the connection between the other site and this restaurant was made by the managers themselves, as they used the site to promote the restaurant. Am I the culprit?

Updated information? yes, and what? There are many ways to receive accurate information, other than public forum where big mouths say BS after BS!

About spelling, let's say that it is to help Google to index these interesting threads under various spellings!

14-01-2008, 20:25

The problem was not about money. But about how to say... A conflict of interest... Anyway you can ask the RT gang, they have probably a few threads there. Or ask here, as they read this site many times a day :)

14-01-2008, 20:27
Probably the money made was not enough?:eh:

There isn't only money, in life!!!

Philosophy of how to treat the clients
Social recognition
Power
Connections with the local authorities
Connection with some foreign authorities
Etc etc

Make your choice!

ezik
14-01-2008, 21:48
Intriguing, but, with all due respect, let's not start discussing DJ's moves here. I think he'll explain himself when and IF he feels like it (if ever). As far as I'm concerned, he's a colleague here on this site and a person who has put a lot of effort in building the expat community over many years.

ezik
14-01-2008, 22:09

Guest is free to express his opinion about a website, even if it is RT.

Of course, mods and admins here will try to stay neutral. I was actually "perplexed" myself finding the following post by a mod on RT: redtape - Red Tape Forums (http://www.redtape.ru/forum/showthread.php?p=173073#post173073)

14-01-2008, 22:38
Guest is free to express his opinion about a website, even if it is RT.

Of course, mods and admins here will try to stay neutral. I was actually "perplexed" myself finding the following post by a mod on RT: redtape - Red Tape Forums (http://www.redtape.ru/forum/showthread.php?p=173073#post173073)

Ezik, don't say that you ignore what RT team think about expat.ru, and what they tell on their forum... or in PM! Maybe I will publish a PM I received from one of the RT team bosses, but it would show "who I am" on RT, and I don't know for now! But when an admin launches personal attacks through an expat.ru admin (and on facts thar are 100% FALSE, I checked!!!), well, they can hardly come here to say they are "perplexed"!

But back to the topic! So WHERE will we be allowed to eat cheese fries without cheese? I am perplexed :vomit:

Albertina
14-01-2008, 22:47
People are quitting their jobs and fellow expats have lost theirs and you find time to ridicule them. Some community spirit you have, I'd take a long look in the mirror because something's wrong with you if that makes you happy.

No, Actually I'm burying my tears in cocktails ... at GQ, though. Poor Britons! What are they going to do!!!! Maybe going to one of 25+ countries where they can work/purchase property isw not wnough or travel around the world without a visa, or maybe take a regular job somewhere here! That's just terrible! So few opportunities compared an average Russian! :shhhhhh:
As I said, I'm going to bury my sorrow at GQ :doh:

PS: Amateurs, don't get into the business. Please.

Albertina
14-01-2008, 22:51
Most importantly, I still remember that Daiquiri I had at Hemi - made me sick the next day and was not even tasty on the first day. And THAT's unforgivable! :goblin:

ezik
14-01-2008, 22:55
Ezik, don't say that you ignore what RT team think about expat.ru, and what they tell on their forum... or in PM! Maybe I will publish a PM I received from one of the RT team bosses, but it would show "who I am" on RT, and I don't know for now! But when an admin launches personal attacks through an expat.ru admin (and on facts thar are 100% FALSE, I checked!!!), well, they can hardly come here to say they are "perplexed"!

But back to the topic! So WHERE will we be allowed to eat cheese fries without cheese? I am perplexed :vomit:

I'm not ignoring, but I'm also aware that I see only part of the info. No need to publish a PM publicly (PM will do ;) ). The fact is: I really don't CARE what the RT team thinks about Expat. And I'd be sure that they don't care either, if it wasn't for that little remark about google results in the post that I quoted. :D

But let's get back to the fries! :D

14-01-2008, 22:55
Maybe it was a daiquiri without rum?

Albertina
14-01-2008, 22:58
Maybe it was a daiquiri without rum?

it was outdated cat piss :goblin:

Wodin
14-01-2008, 23:24
No, Actually I'm burying my tears in cocktails ... at GQ, though. Poor Britons! What are they going to do!!!! Maybe going to one of 25+ countries where they can work/purchase property isw not wnough or travel around the world without a visa, or maybe take a regular job somewhere here! That's just terrible! So few opportunities compared an average Russian! :shhhhhh:
As I said, I'm going to bury my sorrow at GQ :doh:

PS: Amateurs, don't get into the business. Please.

Why has this turned into a Russian vs Brit matter? As far as I can tell a DJ was dismissed, for whatever reason. Many people seemed to like the guy, some seemed not to....

As to the poor Brits bit....isn't that uncalled for?

Albertina
14-01-2008, 23:50
Why has this turned into a Russian vs Brit matter? As far as I can tell a DJ was dismissed, for whatever reason. Many people seemed to like the guy, some seemed not to....

As to the poor Brits bit....isn't that uncalled for?

Ok, the one who wants to get offended will always find a reason.
You gave this a competely new meaning, that was not intended. If I need to spell this out, here you go: it was just meant to point out that we need to put things in perspective: I won't grieve too much for someone (nationality does not matter, but Russians have fewer options in the world to be honest) who lost their jobs - I was in that situation too and that's not tragic. So please let's not dramatize it.
Cheers.

PS: GQ have wonderful cocktails! :drink:

Wodin
14-01-2008, 23:59
Not at all offended, also not surprised. As I'm sure you'd agree, people with chips on their shoulders can be spotted miles away.

Albertina
15-01-2008, 00:03
Haha, I have a big chip on my shoulder from that s%ty Daiquiri, I tell you!
No woner they are not doing well... poisoning their customers :mad::eek:

SalTheReturn
15-01-2008, 02:05
have a feeling...is talking about Hemingways and stirring (on purpose) tension with RT the only way to get people discussing sth on this site?
sad really, once again they might be people out there looking for info and seems noone cares:groan:

whatever to each its own

you all take care

Sal

Judge
15-01-2008, 02:13
it was outdated cat piss :goblin:

Luv it...Cat piss.nice style you got there.
:badclown:

Braders
15-01-2008, 05:11
But when an admin launches personal attacks through an expat.ru admin (and on facts thar are 100% FALSE, I checked!!!), well, they can hardly come here to say they are "perplexed"!

I'm smiling from ear to ear here because you're insinuating that I sent that PM and launched a scathing attack through one of the administrators here. :p

When all else fails, lie straight through your teeth.

You're a class act Guest. (that's sarcasm in case it went over your head)

I truly do pity you.

CaveMan
15-01-2008, 09:05
Dont you guys have anything else to discuss?

Everytime I login here, I see either a Hemingways is sh*te thread or Look Copycat RT is attacking us thread....

Get a life will ya......

15-01-2008, 09:33
Why do you think I was talking about YOU? Are you the center of the RT world? NO it is not you who is concerned in what I wrote! You probably even don't know anything about this as the account that received this PM was quickly deleted on RT! The idiot who sent the PM thought he was writing to somebody else and when he saw the error, he deleted the account. But the PMs were saved before... No chance again :)

Have a good day. And I wish you a very good day for tomorrow too...

I'm smiling from ear to ear here because you're insinuating that I sent that PM and launched a scathing attack through one of the administrators here. :p

When all else fails, lie straight through your teeth.

You're a class act Guest. (that's sarcasm in case it went over your head)

I truly do pity you.

15-01-2008, 09:36
Let's say that when the RT admin was hardly promoting hemingway's here, you didn't protest a lot. As this restaurant targeted expats, it is natural to inform expats about what happens in this place.

About the copycat site, they prefer spamming and sending PM here "Come to RT" to get new members. Bah, it isn't new...

Everytime I login here, I see either a Hemingways is sh*te thread or Look Copycat RT is attacking us thread....

Get a life will ya......

SalTheReturn
15-01-2008, 11:06

Get a life will ya......

right, just wonder why noone cares for that...the last piece of info was given on this site dates back to last year LOL LOL
i guess for your business is good stuff though!!! so really you should wish it keeps going.
with best compliments
Sal

Penelope
15-01-2008, 11:22
Let's say that when the RT admin was hardly promoting hemingway's here, you didn't protest a lot. As this restaurant targeted expats, it is natural to inform expats about what happens in this place.

About the copycat site, they prefer spamming and sending PM here "Come to RT" to get new members. Bah, it isn't new...
DJ Biscuit promoted Hemingways here and on the other site. He was the manager after all, and in charge of promotions. And as a moderator here, what could be more natural?

15-01-2008, 17:49
DJ Biscuit promoted Hemingways here and on the other site. He was the manager after all, and in charge of promotions. And as a moderator here, what could be more natural?

Yes for DJ, ok. But dear Penelope, you weren't here when the RT ADMIN (under an alias beginning by "Hal..."), yes, the big boss himself of RT, hardly insulted people writing about their bad experiments in Hemingway on THIS forum.

Oh but there are archives, even on Google :)

Penelope
15-01-2008, 17:57
Remember how I introduced myself? I read all that stuff as a guest. I saw the video Palokala said showed there was no cheese on the chili cheese fries. I could discern nothing from that video other than that he was following around some waitress and badgering her--in English--until she said something he said was proof. I couldn't hear her or understand what she said.

I also was at the party at Hemingways that Palokala said didn't happen.

I don't think calling someone on lies is insulting. I have also been to Hemingways, as stated. I have had the chili cheese fries. There was cheese on them--not as much as I'd have liked, but it was there, and it was not cheese sauce.

From what I have read, you and Palokala have had it in for Hemingways from the day it opened under new management (ironically, of DJ Biscuit).

15-01-2008, 18:16
LOL Penelope you know, who really cares if there is cheese or not in their fries?

And when I talked about insults I didn't say about the video, but about all what followed later here. But ladno, no need to come back a few months later! Today it is true that Hemingway bosses have more important things to do than coming here to argue.

> you and Palokala have had it in for Hemingways from the day it opened under new management

Sorry I don't even know who is this Palokala! And I had nothing against this place, never went there, 2 friends went for lunch, they just said "very ordinary and not very tasty", that is all. What I criticize isn't the restaurant itself, it is the fact that RT team harassed people here if they didn't LOVE the restaurant (And according to what I know, these people were just banned from RT. But OK, it is a RT internal problem.)

Albertina
15-01-2008, 22:14
Very true about harassment and banning.

Albertina
15-01-2008, 23:09
Luv it...Cat piss.nice style you got there.
:badclown:

it comes from my fondness of fine white wine as Riesling from Wachau :applause:

SalTheReturn
15-01-2008, 23:23
i do not understand...does all this stuff means that hemmingway is closed? i do not get it, sorry....

16-01-2008, 00:17
Their website (http://hemingways.ru/) seems down...

Judge
16-01-2008, 00:46

That is too fine for me,i was brought up on White Lightning Cider.:D:D

Lady Marmalade
16-01-2008, 01:40

I'd been wondering and wondering, but now I think I finally get it! LOL! Albertina is Mantissa. This explains a lot about the posting style!!!:applause:

SalTheReturn
16-01-2008, 14:57
I'd been wondering and wondering, but now I think I finally get it! LOL! Albertina is Mantissa. This explains a lot about the posting style!!!:applause:

and now will your life change/improve?
great investigation Favoritova

who is Mantissa?

Penelope
16-01-2008, 15:15
Their website (http://hemingways.ru/) seems down...
Seems to be working now.

boscoe
17-01-2008, 14:57

Get a life will ya......

I have to laugh...
Just a suggestion... you could stop attacking us?

Anyway... enough. From now on any discussion about the other site or it's administrators owners etc. is banned here, it's boring and it does no one any good!

TD
17-01-2008, 15:50
From now on any discussion about the other site or it's administrators owners etc. is banned here, it's boring and it does no one any good!

Updated in the Forum Rules (http://www.expat.ru/forum/expat-cafe/57739-forum-rules-please-read.html) as well :rules: