PDA

View Full Version : Real English

James_B
13-01-2008, 19:02
Well, hello everybody! I'm a highly experienced TEFL teacher (right now I'm working in Moscow in the leading English school and give private lessons in my spare time). At the present moment I'm absolutely delighted to drop you a line so that we could have a heated debate on the issue of real English.

Really, you as non-natives, what do you think real English is all about? How technology has revolutionized the way we study, work and live. There is no denying, it's because of the state-of-the-art technological advances that we've stepped into the new era of highly effective ways of learning. In fact, wherever you live you can get an instant access to real English.

IraM
15-01-2008, 23:40
First of all, what does real English mean for you? And what would you like to discuss: the language itself or the way(s) of teaching/learning it?

James_B
16-01-2008, 17:40
To be honest with you, I'm particularly interested in getting to grips with the new methods of teaching. My simple idea is if we live in the era of global technology, so why not to take full advantage of it? If this is the case, how is it bound to change our way of learning?

As you can perfectly see, I'd simply like to draw your attention to the new perspectives of teaching. This is my point.

billbeetham
05-02-2008, 22:37
Um.....

"right now I'm working in Moscow in the leading English school"

Are you really? Where on earth did you get that idea?

BB

MickeyTong
05-02-2008, 23:30
Real English? As it is spoken by Pakistani Yorkshiremen? Or 2nd generation Korean Americans? Or Sarth Efricans? Or Brummies? Or Aberdonians?

James_B
06-02-2008, 00:00
Allowing for your comments, the meaning of real English could be put quite simply. At least, to cut a long story short, I'm a great believer in this trivial idea. To clarify all this, I'd like to come with one notable example.

An absolute beginner in English would far rather use 'I think'. At the same time, real colloquial English could imply this:

It is my firm belief that=I firmly believe
As far as I'm concerned
To my way of thinking
It strikes me that
I'm absolutely/totally convinced etc.

You see, the difference is a huge one.

Hawk
06-02-2008, 09:06
Highly experienced or better put (just) experienced ?????

:10641:

pjw
06-02-2008, 20:06
Allowing for your comments, the meaning of real English could be put quite simply. At least, to cut a long story short, I'm a great believer in this trivial idea. To clarify all this, I'd like to come with one notable example.

An absolute beginner in English would far rather use 'I think'. At the same time, real colloquial English could imply this:

As far as I'm concerned
To my way of thinking
It strikes me that
I'm absolutely/totally convinced etc.

You see, the difference is a huge one.

Hello James B,
It is my firm belief that you are highly experienced and furthermore I´m absolutely totally convinced that you teach at the leading school in Moscow. A true inspiration to us all!
:Loco::Loco::Loco:

James_B
07-02-2008, 01:12
Simply enough, don't mind my misprints. I meant 'come up with one notable example'.

Next, you need either 'absolute' or 'totally'.

I'm absolutely convinced=I'm totally convinced

Good luck

hazelnut
08-02-2008, 16:50
[QUOTE=James_B;341893]
As far as I'm concerned
To my way of thinking
It strikes me that
I'm absolutely/totally convinced etc.QUOTE]

Dear Sir,
I think that anyone who takes up studying a foreign language inevitably goes through several junctions on the way to perfection. At first when you’re just a beginner, everything seems to be very vague, difficult to remember, uncustomary, uncomfortable… You have little words to express yourself. All that is left for you is exercising…
Scaring:vader:
It strikes me that it’s the hardest, the most boring period of studying. It’s time when the language you learn is like a huge dark empty building…Having stepped inside you find yourself in a narrow shaft. In the end of the shaft there is a door, but it leads you into another shaft, very similar to the previous one. Well, maybe a bit more room for your elbows, but still it’s a complete darkness around. You can see no lights, can hear no voices apart from that of your teacher. If your teacher is efficient, gentle, inspiring, if you’re curious, industrious, persistent, if you don’t quit going ahead, if you’re not afraid of facing difficulties, then at last one of the doors will open into a room spacious enough to have some rest in it. It’s the first breakpoint.
Funny:iloveyou:
I firmly believe that at this moment you’re bound to receive a gift. It can be a book, which suddenly catches you up. Or it may be a friend, asking you to share what you’ve learnt, or an impression that strikes you… In fact, it may be anything that makes you interested; something that prompts you into speaking out. Once you tried to, you are certain to try again. And despite your weakness at Grammar and your lacking in vocabulary, it’s the moment when studying gets funny and promising. Now that you’re able to ask and answer you’re not alone anymore.
Throughout this part of your journey you can afford to be irresponsible, to be light-minded, to make as many mistakes as you happen to make – at least you’re still a beginner. It’s time to pick up new words and expressions; it’s time that you’re getting to see the language as a system. It’s time for reading. (I’m absolutely convinced that reading is not just one of the important skills, but it’s a good method of learning. Reading gives you interminable examples of words usage; it shows you how to apply your knowledge to a particular case of speaking. I find that reading can substitute other activities. You can neglect doing Grammar exercises, you may have no people to speak to, and so on, but if you read a lot you won’t fail to improve.)
This room (this junction) is where you’re staying for long. Provided that by that time studying has become a sort of a game for you, you thoroughly enjoy yourself. But any game turns into a bore if you play it for too long. So, the moment comes when a learner of a language becomes a user of a language.
Amazing:10641:
To my way of thinking, it happens quite unexpectedly. All of a sudden lights are on, and oops!.. you become aware of existence of many other rooms in the building. Why, it’s high time you extended your idea of the world surrounding! At first you feel uncertain and even a bit depressed because you’ve never expected the subject to be so wide. But when you plunge into exploring nothing can turn you off. The more you know the more you long for knowing. You search one room after another until the whole heavenly architecture appears before your astonished gaze.:jawdrop:
Wise and careful:bookworm:
It seems to me, that now, after that breathtaking moment you should be really careful. For it’s time to choose. It’s time to shape your personal style. It’s time to consider whether to pick up something new or rather turn it down. It’s time when your habitual ways of speaking are being formed. I suppose, unless you’re a genius of linguistics (which little of us are, I presume) there will be not many of them, but just a few. There is nothing bad in it. While speaking in your own language in your everyday life you don’t look all the time for new expressions, but rather stick to the vocabulary that is ready at hand.
(It appears, I’ve been keeping you for too long and must be quitting at once!)
So, thank you for a task. It was a pleasure.
If you have another chain of synonyms to offer be sure I’m in for a trial.
Yours truly,
Hazel, a Nutty Student:wavey::tgif::mml:

pjw
08-02-2008, 17:12
:goblin::goblin:
Hey Miss Hazelnut. I loved reading this. Super use of the phrases. Your English is tops. It´s real English. Easy to read. Funny! Have you lived in an English speaking country?:goblin::goblin:
:goblin:
Mindboggling that you could get such a creative idea. Amazing! Thanks for taking the time to put it down in words. A very interesting post. You really got talent girl! :goblin::goblin:
But really what I want to say is, yes exactly, this is the way of learning foreign languages, small, like a seed, the long dark tunnel of frustration as you perfectly put it.:goblin::goblin:

elis
08-02-2008, 17:25
Miss Hazelnut -- that was beautiful!!:applause:

Particularly agree with the reading part. Although, sometimes--without guidance from another person--reading can lead you into a little room, with a tiny little light, where you can understand what's on the page, but you're still unable to communicate with others.

hazelnut
08-02-2008, 17:33
Have you lived in an English speaking country

I haven't... well... yet...
Thank you so much for the nice words you said, you're really the:sunny:
:celebrate:

hazelnut
08-02-2008, 17:44
"She was silent. Vaguely, as when you are studying a foreign language and read a page which at first you can make nothing of, till a word or a sentence gives you a clue; and on a sudden a suspicion, as it were, of the sense flashes across your troubled wits, vaguely she gained an inkling into the workings of Walter's mind. It was like a dark and ominous landscape seen by a flash of lighting and in a moment hidden again by the night. She shuddered at what she saw."
Somerset Maugham "The painted veil"
:bookworm::celebrate:

elis
08-02-2008, 19:03
"She was silent. Vaguely, as when you are studying a foreign language and read a page which at first you can make nothing of, till a word or a sentence gives you a clue; and on a sudden a suspicion, as it were, of the sense flashes across your troubled wits, vaguely she gained an inkling into the workings of Walter's mind. It was like a dark and ominous landscape seen by a flash of lighting and in a moment hidden again by the night. She shuddered at what she saw."
Somerset Maugham "The painted veil"
:bookworm::celebrate:

I love Somerset Maugham! To me, one of the top English writers. Can't think of a book of his I haven't liked. A good author to read again and again.

Also The Pained Veil was made into a movie recently, and, surprisingly, it was quite good.

pjw
08-02-2008, 19:57
:sunny::sunny::sunny:

Will have to check out Somerset M. Someone I really like is D.H. Lawrence.:sunny:
Hazelnut, when I first read this last post of yours, I almost fell off the chair. First I thought Oh my god, we are priveleged to kneel at the feet of authors. Then I saw it was a quote from a book.:sunny:
Was this text by S.M. what sparked the creativity for your original post about language? Was this like the little spark you talked about? Loved the way you developed it in your post.
Found your post very funny. An entertaining read. Good to see such a fine example of some real English in this thread. Now more of the same please. :sunny::sunny::sunny:

:sunny::sunny::sunny:

James_B
08-02-2008, 23:21
Say that you are very happy!

I'm absolutely happy
I'm perfectly happy
I'm blissfully happy

I'm over the moon
I'm on top of the world
I'm on cloud nine
I'm in seventh heaven
I'm thrilled to bits

I'm bubbling over with excitement
I'm burning with excitement

pjw
08-02-2008, 23:39
:fridaysign::fridaysign::fridaysign::fridaysign:

Sounds like somebody´s a happy little puppy. :rasta: What happened to get you buzzing like this man? :rasta: Make sure you post the downside, like monday morning, miss bus etc:rasta:

:fridaysign::fridaysign::fridaysign::fridaysign:

James_B
09-02-2008, 11:57
It's not that bad as you may think. Make sure, once you've started using them they'll work like a dream

pjw
09-02-2008, 13:41
It's not that bad as you may think. Make sure, once you've started using them they'll work like a dream

:twofaced::twofaced:
I´m being automatically critical to the point of bloody pessimistic, I know, but before I can enjoy and open myself to receive the positive sunny side, I need to confront the negative, locate it, identify it, bathe in the darkness, see the fishes but not swim with them. It comes from being Australian, there is the sun :sunny: yippee......but our automatic response is......show me where the shade is. :vader: just to be fair, counterbalanced, stable and safe. Positivity loses it´s power and floats away without a strong negative anchor.
Anyone getting me? :twofaced:

So tell me your nightmare first please! :twofaced: I´ll wait til Monday morning :evilgrin:
:twofaced::twofaced::twofaced::twofaced:

hazelnut
10-02-2008, 00:55
I'm absolutely happy
I'm perfectly happy
I'm blissfully happy

I'm over the moon
I'm on top of the world
I'm on cloud nine
I'm in seventh heaven
I'm thrilled to bits

I'm bubbling over with excitement
I'm burning with excitement

Dear J.!
Now that my heart is broken I feel good. You needn’t worry. Believe or not, I’m absolutely happy! Off they’ve gone those dreadful months that I was leaving as if in a dream or better to say, in a nightmare. Now I’m perfectly ok. I can almost see you smiling sarcastically while reading this, but darling, do believe me, it’s not just that “I’m fine” but I'm in seventh heaven actually!
But let me tell you how I’ve come to this.
I. Allegro ma non troppo, un poco maestoso:10168:
This very morning I overslept. There is nothing unusual in it; you know what a pain it is for me to get up, but today it was really bad for when I opened my eyes it was 9.03. Twenty seven minutes to say a short-cut prayer, to feed the cat, to take a bath, to have a coffee (well, forget about coffee, a sip of boiled water is much too a reward for such a loser), to collect books and writing-books for the evening classes, to make up, to choose a gear to put on and to put it on, to lock the door, to get to the Leninskiy Prospect using all the time the penguin-shuffling technique that a Nice Girl taught me recently, to hail a taxi (may God send me a Michael Schumacher!), to force my way through innumerable traffic lights on the Kosygina Street, to get down the tortuous street where the office is situated, to run up the short flight of steps, to get in and to take off the coat before The Boss spots me.
II. Motto vivace - Presto:10641:
Well, I did quite well: it was 9.43 when I got into a shabby Volkswagen Passat and we roared off. A driver was a guy in his early thirties. Though not a Formula1 winner, but he did his best and at 9.51 we were on The Last Big Crossroad. And then suddenly my heart sank. For I realized that the only money I had was a thousand ruble note which is impossible to change at 9.55 a.m. on the street I work.
Well, well... the main thing is to be casual. Don’t show him you’re troubled. You only need to say in a queen-like manner „Wait here a minute please“ and get out before he turns his annoyed face, then leisurely get up the step, get into the office, get money from somebody, get out, get down the step leisurely, give him the money, run up the step, get inside and get rid of this bloody coat before The Boss spots me... oh, my, oh...
And here he asked suddenly: „oh, may I... er... do you like classical music?“
Do I like classical music? Do I?
III. Adagio molto e cantabile – Allegro moderato :SwoonLoveSmiley:
I DO like. I'm bubbling over with excitement when Tannhaeuser makes his speech on the tournament; I’m burning with anger when George Germont talks Violetta into leaving Alfredo; first chords of the Piano Concert No. 2 of Sergei Rachmaninoff charm me into peace and dreaminess (especially when it’s snowing). Once I cried in a suburban train listening to Vaudemont’s (of Tchaikovsky’s “Iolanta”) romance… «О приди, светлый ангел источник любви, сердца тайные струны согрей, оживи…»
So, I said rather dryly “why, yes”.
It turned out that he had a spare ticket to The Conservatory for this evening and wished to sell it. Beethoven, the Symphony No 9 “Choral”. Together with the fare it totaled 800 rubles. He gave me the change.
IV. Recitativo:7525::7525::7525:
That fellow, that Ludwig Van, that Beethoven, he is… he is… he is God Almighty himself!...
This music has been forever. I think creation of this world was accompanied by it.
At first I couldn’t avert my thoughts from their habitual rout: The Secret Sorrow, missed classes, job and all the like, but by the time the first bars of the second part thundered I had been overwhelmed completely by the music. What a power, I thought, what a might! This second part has always stricken me as an image of a process of creation, the moment when the great design had been already completed and all the forces summoned up, and the process of creating began. Giant Mills whirled, Huge Mechanisms started moving, there is no going back, and there is no escaping. Fiddlesticks pierce the sky, rain is falling and its sunny drops make flowers burst through the earth, and grasses and trees. Rain is falling, its drops are flowing together to shape rivers, rivers are running to each other to form an ocean. I see mountains growing, volcanoes erupting; I see the whole world’s torturing giving birth to live creatures. Astounding!:fireworks:
Oh, go on, go on, never stop! I'm on top of the world, I'm on cloud nine I'm over the moon! In a moment the whole space will fill with sounds of Ode. My heart beats violently in its fragile cage, and what are all the sorrows of the temporary life against that moving of the Eternal Soul which is mine, and this angel-driver’s, and The Boss's, and Dear Shuffling Girl's, and The Secret Sorrow Reason’s, and yours, darling J., and everybody’s and nobody’s in particular. A soul is music. Music is Eternity. I’ve just been born once more. This time for ever.

Oh friends, not these tunes!
Rather let us sing more
cheerful and more joyful ones.
Joy! Joy!
Joy, beautiful spark of the gods,
Daughter of Elysium,
Touched with fire, to the portal,
Of thy radiant shrine, we come.
Your sweet magic frees all others,
Held in Custom's rigid rings.
All men on earth become brothers,
In the haven of your wings.

Yors,
Hazel
:10518:

Natkin
10-02-2008, 01:42
Hazelnut,

I am totally impressed by your posts. You show not only the excellent command of English, but a real talent to writing.
I hope you choose a career in Journalism, where you will definitely boost.
And keep writing. Your book will become a bestseller one day. You have insight, wits and courage - all the attributes of success.

Thank you, and keep posting.

MickeyTong
10-02-2008, 15:31
Hazlenut, you are great company: intelligent, articulate, educated, entertaining and funny, with an excellent command of English. But you may wish to rephrase this -

....the street I work....
because it has certain....connotations.:evilgrin:
:applause::applause::applause:

hazelnut
10-02-2008, 16:31
certain....connotations.:evilgrin:

:Loco:

at times I wish I did: at least I would not have to get up as early as 7.30!.. :rant:
I would rather go to bed at that time… in my lucky days

:10518:

James_B
10-02-2008, 22:49
1. Bank on=count on=rely on; I was banking on.. I wouldn’t bank on it=I wouldn’t bet on it.
2. Bargain for, more than you bargained for
It was a wonderful holiday but it cost a lot more than we’d bargained for
3. Be bound up with (=closely connected)
Religion and morality are inescapably bound up with one another. My future is inseparably bound up with
4. Be blown away (inf); I was completely blown away
5. Boil down=come down; It all boils down to money.
6. Border on=Verge on; Be bordering on the ridiculous/absurd; verge on the impossible/absurd
Property prices here are bordering on the ridiculous
7. Brighten up=liven up=cheer up
Brighten up the place. You brighten up my life! It brightened up my day.
8. Bring back to earth/reality; It brought me back to reality
9. Broaden out (the discussion) I’d like to broaden out the discussion a little
10. Brush up (on); I need to brush up on my Spanish before we go on holiday. If you’re thinking about a job change, brushing up on computer skills can be important.
11. Bubble over; be bubbling over with excitement/enthusiasm/ideas/suggestions
Children are bubbling over with excitement at the thought of visiting Disneyland. It was an excellent meeting: Everyone was bubbling over with ideas.
12. Build up your hopes; Don’t build up your hopes – a lot of people have applied for the job, and you may not get it.
13. Bump up against=Come up against difficulties/problems
14. Be burning with curiosity/impatience/shame/excitement
I was burning with curiosity, but it was obvious it was not a good time to ask questions
15. Bury yourself in work/studies
I buried myself in my work and tried to put it out of my mind

hazelnut
11-02-2008, 10:54
1. Bank on=count on=rely on; I was banking on.. I wouldn’t bank on it=I wouldn’t bet on it.
2. Bargain for, more than you bargained for
It was a wonderful holiday but it cost a lot more than we’d bargained for
3. Be bound up with (=closely connected)
Religion and morality are inescapably bound up with one another. My future is inseparably bound up with
4. Be blown away (inf); I was completely blown away
5. Boil down=come down; It all boils down to money.
6. Border on=Verge on; Be bordering on the ridiculous/absurd; verge on the impossible/absurd
Property prices here are bordering on the ridiculous
7. Brighten up=liven up=cheer up
Brighten up the place. You brighten up my life! It brightened up my day.
8. Bring back to earth/reality; It brought me back to reality
9. Broaden out (the discussion) I’d like to broaden out the discussion a little
10. Brush up (on); I need to brush up on my Spanish before we go on holiday. If you’re thinking about a job change, brushing up on computer skills can be important.
11. Bubble over; be bubbling over with excitement/enthusiasm/ideas/suggestions
Children are bubbling over with excitement at the thought of visiting Disneyland. It was an excellent meeting: Everyone was bubbling over with ideas.
12. Build up your hopes; Don’t build up your hopes – a lot of people have applied for the job, and you may not get it.
13. Bump up against=Come up against difficulties/problems
14. Be burning with curiosity/impatience/shame/excitement
I was burning with curiosity, but it was obvious it was not a good time to ask questions
15. Bury yourself in work/studies
I buried myself in my work and tried to put it out of my mind

WOW! :iloveyou: Thank you, Sir! It’s a challenge!
P.S. I’ll take my time; a workweek has started and I have to bury myself in work and studies… :duhhhh:

bluemidnight
11-02-2008, 22:13
WOW! :iloveyou: Thank you, Sir! It’s a challenge!
P.S. I’ll take my time; a workweek has started and I have to bury myself in work and studies… :duhhhh:

It would be fun to make an expanded list of phrases like this. Maybe one in Russian for those of us learning that language as well? Though I'm not nearly to the point where I can translate them. I'm still in those first 2 rooms, feeling around for a light switch and trying to avoid rapping my head on the ceiling.