PDA

View Full Version : Feb 23 Firework Display

Limitchik
24-02-2004, 15:04
So, who saw the pretty cool firework display last night around the center ? I thought the simultaneous release aspect of it was pretty cool for Moscow, even if the fireworks themselves weren't exceptionally varied, but I was kinda surpirsed for two reasons:

1. For a holiday that became a day-off only last year, this seemed pretty "all-out", especially in comparison to other pretty major holidays (New Years).

2. These things aren't cheap. Does anyone else see a certain hypocracy or moral lapse of judgement in justifying the high expense that such an activity requires when faced with insultingly low pensions and other poorly funded social programs ?

I know it's not the first or only example of such, but last night was a blantant display (pun intended).

Comments from the peanut gallery ?

sevan
24-02-2004, 15:14
...and this surprises you? C'mon, it's an election year!

When I was working out in Vladivostok, the city got treated to a fireworks show about every two weeks during the spring/summer. Apparently about the amount of time it takes the "ooohs" and "aaahs" at the fireworkds to turn back into "черт" and "блин" at the water and power supplies being turned off....

...I'm just in a nasty mood today...all started with reading that post by the guy trying to sell his notebook before breakfast.... :)

sfjohns67
24-02-2004, 15:22
Just a thought....Aren't pensions paid from the federal budget, and wouldn't something like a Moscow fireworks display be funded out of the city budget?

BTW, this was not limited to the city center...I saw three separate displays from my balcony all the way out in Perovo. They were all synchronized and the exact same type of burst went off at each location each time - pretty cool.

Also, did anybody notice how lame the movies were yesterday? The networks usually show some pretty cool war movies on/around Victory Day, like Офицеры, Отец Солдата, В Бой Идут Одны Старики...but yesterday's selection left quite a lot to be desired. Looks like they're still getting their collective feet wet in regard to celebrating this holiday.

Ghost
24-02-2004, 15:26
These things aren't cheap. Does anyone else see a certain hypocracy or moral lapse of judgement in justifying the high expense that such an activity requires when faced with insultingly low pensions and other poorly funded social programs ?

Ugh...please. Don't get me started.

geordie
24-02-2004, 15:30
It cant have cost more than $20 000. That's not a great deal in civic terms to celebrate a holiday.

Limitchik
24-02-2004, 15:38
Geordie,

Are you kidding me ? The electronics alone required to synchronize a display of that scale would have cost more than 20k. Large-scale fireworks are quite expensive. I recall a local news piece from back home stating that they can run upwards of several hundred thousand dollars.

SFJ,

Honey, don't get picky with me. Federal, city, whatever. Do you honestly want to claim that the city of Moscow adequately covers all its social program obligations ?

re movies: CTC showed Enemy at the Gate, which was, in my opinion, a highly appropriate (depite its being Hollywood material) and well-made movie. I'd never seen it before either.

Random
24-02-2004, 15:41
Sorry Limit have to agree with Sfj - apart from Enemy at the Gate on CTC - it was a grim selection - all those cabaret shows !

Sat and watched Men Behaving Badly instead ...

Limitchik
24-02-2004, 15:43
Well RTR showed The Firm with Tom Cruise. I'm not sure how appropriate that was, but Enemy at the Gate and The Firm ? You don't get these movies on network TV back home. There's always SOMETHING on worth watching.

Random
24-02-2004, 15:45
Missed The Firm on RTR - everytime I looked was some mad old doris warbling on about nothing in particular.

Ned Kelly
24-02-2004, 15:51
i though the opening scene to enemy at the gate was incredible. could almost feel what those poor buggers must have endured.
but it degenerated after that - to the point where i was wondering why it took the german so long to hang the kid.

luzhkov pays a top-up to moscow pensioners of about 500 rubles a month, or the equivalent of the kickback to his administration for every brick laid in the city. he could probably make it much more if he wasn't such a greedy little bald-headed neckless bastard.

Filimon
24-02-2004, 15:51
Enemy at the gates was the most bizarre and untrue adaptation of the events I have ever seen. To suggest that all troops were thrown into battle with no guns and with HKVD at their backs is unbelievable.

Limitchik, you want blatancy ? How about 850th anniversary of Moscow in 1997! Fireworks were shot simultaneously from 35 locations all around the town. Jean Michelle Jarr performed for free in front of MSU and Pavarotti did on the Red Square (although that was invitation only).

Limitchik
24-02-2004, 15:56
Fili,

Hey, I agree. I'm not saying you can't think of ten examples in less than a minute. They're everywhere. What surprised me was the extent of the blatancy (is that a word ?) on such a relatively--up until last year--uncelebrated holiday. Can we expect something even more inappropriate on May 9th ?

sfjohns67
24-02-2004, 16:22
Originally posted by Limitchik
SFJ,
Honey, don't get picky with me. Federal, city, whatever. Do you honestly want to claim that the city of Moscow adequately covers all its social program obligations ?

Sugarpea, I'm not implying that whatsoever, in fact I agree with you vis-a-vis the blatancy (hey, the word works for me) of it all. But let's face it, Luzhkov has more than once displayed a very keen knack for raising capital for his capital, and I don't think he's ever had to raid the city budget to do so. I'm sure he strongarmed a few of his Armenian road construction patrons for the bucks to pay for yesterday's display, for example.

I certainly hope they don't disgrace May 9th, though - that's one of the few remaining holidays that hasn't been commercially bastardized to the point of nausea. Before anybody says it, yes I know May 9th HAS been commercialized to an extent, just not as badly as, for example, March 8th, where I pay 200 rubles for the same 70 ruble branch of lilies I buy approximately 20 other weeks out of the year.

I thought Enemy at the Gates was a pretty good movie, at least with the exception of the bullsh*t love scenes and the gaggingly saccharine subplot with the little boy (a Dickens-esque please sire, may I have another comes to mind). Judging by what I read about Vasily Zaitsev at the Panorama (Battle of Stalingrad) museum down in Volgograd, they got a fair amount of his history correct. Hollowwood just did what they do best by over-dramatizing just about everything.

Limitchik
24-02-2004, 16:33
Originally posted by sfjohns67
where I pay 200 rubles for the same 70 ruble branch of lilies I buy approximately 20 other weeks out of the year.

You buy your wife flowers every other week ? Man, that takes work ! I'm impressed. May I suggest you vary it up a bit by not getting lillies every single frickin' time ? She's gotta be thinking, "aw, shit, not more lillies !"

sfjohns67
24-02-2004, 16:37
Originally posted by Limitchik
You buy your wife flowers every other week ? Man, that takes work ! I'm impressed. May I suggest you vary it up a bit by not getting lillies every single frickin' time ? She's gotta be thinking, "aw, shit, not more lillies !"
It's no worse than me thinking "aw, shit...not another jar of deoderant. Is she trying to tell me something here???"

Filimon
24-02-2004, 17:29
Originally posted by sfjohns67
Sugarpea, I'm not implying that whatsoever, in fact I agree with you vis-a-vis the blatancy (hey, the word works for me) of it all. But let's face it, Luzhkov has more than once displayed a very keen knack for raising capital for his capital, and I don't think he's ever had to raid the city budget to do so. I'm sure he strongarmed a few of his Armenian road construction patrons for the bucks to pay for yesterday's display, for example.

I certainly hope they don't disgrace May 9th, though - that's one of the few remaining holidays that hasn't been commercially bastardized to the point of nausea. Before anybody says it, yes I know May 9th HAS been commercialized to an extent, just not as badly as, for example, March 8th, where I pay 200 rubles for the same 70 ruble branch of lilies I buy approximately 20 other weeks out of the year.

I thought Enemy at the Gates was a pretty good movie, at least with the exception of the bullsh*t love scenes and the gaggingly saccharine subplot with the little boy (a Dickens-esque please sire, may I have another comes to mind). Judging by what I read about Vasily Zaitsev at the Panorama (Battle of Stalingrad) museum down in Volgograd, they got a fair amount of his history correct. Hollowwood just did what they do best by over-dramatizing just about everything.

There is another version of the events. Germans did send the sniper coach to Stalingrad because they were losing people to Russian snipers, which is hardly surprising given "ze Germans" were on the attacking side. However, there was no duels, no standoffs, no drama. Soviet commanders found out about it, sent a squad of soldiers with two snipers into the rubble, who hunted the guy down and shot him like a dog. That's it, no glamour, no drama, nowt!

This is from my friend's grandpa, 86-year old guy, who actually was there at the time.

Braders
24-02-2004, 18:19
When i lived in St Pete's we had an apartment right next to the St Pete's Summer Palace and when the cannons fired for Salut just below our window the whole building shook, i was not forewarned much to the amusement of the 20 Russians in the room and when the first cannon was fired i thought it was curtains for me :p

I watched a documentary on a fireworks display for New Years Eve in London and the cost was around 3 Million Sterling.

Am i right that i read somewhere on this site that the chemicals they spray the Sky with to be rid of clouds is illegal under EU pollution laws