PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me understand this address?

George87
21-03-2014, 19:01
Hi guys,

I'm coming to Moscow next week on Friday for the first time. I want to buy something online and have it sent to an address in Moscow but I'm a bit confused about the format. Looking at this address can you help me take it apart.

127473 Moscow, 1st Shemilovskiy pereulok, 16c2.

I'm guessing "127473" is the post code. Obviously Moscow is the city. "1st Shemilovskiy pereulok" is the street or as it is translated "lane". Is the "1st" part the street number? Is 16c2 the room or office number?

Thanks all for your help.

George

AstarD
21-03-2014, 19:07
127473--zip code/postal code
Moscow--city
1st Shemilovskiy pereulok--street name
16 c2--building

George87
21-03-2014, 19:11
127473--zip code/postal code
Moscow--city
1st Shemilovskiy pereulok--street name
16 c2--building

1st Shemilovskiy pereulok. So 1st is the street number?

Thanks

AstarD
21-03-2014, 19:12
No. The name of the whole street is First Shemilovskiy Pereulok

George87
21-03-2014, 19:31
No. The name of the whole street is First Shemilovskiy Pereulok

So the street is small and doesn't have a lot of buildings is that right? Not like a long street with 500 buildings both sides?

TolkoRaz
21-03-2014, 19:34
It is not a street, its a pereulok (переулок) which is a lane / very small road.

George87
21-03-2014, 19:40
It is not a street, its a pereulok (переулок) which is a lane / very small road.

Thanks, yea I knew it was a lane, just wanted to confirm I hadn't missed out anything such as a lane number. Thanks.

tonytony
21-03-2014, 19:51
As Astar says the name of the street is ''First Schemilovskiy Pereulok''

The building number is 16c2

There are other streets in Moscow that also have the name Schemilovskiy Pereulok and they are called things like ''Second Schemilovskiy Pereulok'' to distinguish between them. If you are searching for this address then in Russian it is 1-й Щемиловский переулок.

Here is a google map centred on the address:-

http://goo.gl/maps/jRvuH

Hans.KK
21-03-2014, 19:51
http://maps.yandex.ru/-/CVfGj04W
But you need some more info to narrow down the flat/shop.
Remark that there is two buildings with the number 16c2 close to each other, it can be a pit fall

Benedikt
21-03-2014, 20:07
1st Shemilovskiy pereulok. So 1st is the street number?

Thanks

in Russian language it will be a capital -K- stands for KOРПУС- or Building. during the CCCP times in their wisdom only understood by them, they gave buildings, in order not to have so many house numbers, special when they were built one behind the other one, the number Korpus 1,2,3,4 and so on.
so when looking for Nr16,K1 you still have to look for that -1- building......

George87
21-03-2014, 20:55
in Russian language it will be a capital -K- stands for KOРПУС- or Building. during the CCCP times in their wisdom only understood by them, they gave buildings, in order not to have so many house numbers, special when they were built one behind the other one, the number Korpus 1,2,3,4 and so on.
so when looking for Nr16,K1 you still have to look for that -1- building......

Thanks everyone that helps a lot.

tonytony
22-03-2014, 13:54
in Russian language it will be a capital -K- stands for KOРПУС- or Building.

Not necessarily. You do get addresses with a 'C' in them as well as a 'K'. It stands for Строение I believe.

Benedikt
22-03-2014, 15:15
Not necessarily. You do get addresses with a 'C' in them as well as a 'K'. It stands for Строение I believe.

http://otvet.mail.ru/question/9912481

-korpus- denotes a place where people live in, i.e. a block of flats or a house
-stroine- is a -non live in -construction, i.e. a shop and the like

Kartoshka
22-03-2014, 19:16
To make everything really clear, this is how the address would be written if it was in Europe:
16c2 First Shemilovskiy Pereulok, Moscow, 127473

Hans.KK
22-03-2014, 20:47
To make everything really clear, this is how the address would be written if it was in Europe:
16c2 First Shemilovskiy Pereulok, Moscow, 127473May be the case in some selected country's in Europe, but not all.
From where I come from it would go like: First Shemilovskiy Pereulok 16c2, 127473 Moscow.

penka
22-03-2014, 21:16
May be the case in some selected country's in Europe, but not all.
From where I come from it would go like: First Shemilovskiy Pereulok 16c2, 127473 Moscow.

Kartoshka wrote it the British way.

You know, what the proper date is today, the Swedish way?

2014-03-22

Hans.KK
22-03-2014, 21:52
Kartoshka wrote it the British way.

You know, what the proper date is today, the Swedish way?

2014-03-22Why is Sweden always wrong?
22-03-2014 is the way to skin that cat, every body in Europe know that, all this ISO 8601 is overrated.
ISO 8601 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

penka
22-03-2014, 22:31
Why is Sweden always wrong?
22-03-2014 is the way to skin that cat, every body in Europe know that, all this ISO 8601 is overrated.
ISO 8601 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601)

And the 03/22/2014 format as my e-mails persistently state?:D

There is such thing as the "Swedish standard", you know:)

TolkoRaz
22-03-2014, 22:46
There is, of course, the Russian Standard! ;)

frankjohn2
22-03-2014, 22:47
But ... what is this? An office, an apartment?

Shouldn't there possibly also be a unit number, apartment number, office number ... something?

Hans.KK
22-03-2014, 22:49
And the 03/22/2014 format as my e-mails persistently state?:DSome things is not that easy as the appearer to be, imagine the following date: 02/04/03
What is right?
2nd of April 2003
4th of February 2003
3rd of April 2002

Your answer will depend a lot on which country you live in, or the policy of the company you work for, that's why one have to be careful, not only with the syntax of addresses, but also with a lot of other things that one take for granted, especially if you are outside of you "home" environment.

There is such thing as the "Swedish standard", you know:)I know, had been working for "tre blå korvar" for some years.

Hans.KK
23-03-2014, 09:34
There is, of course, the Russian Standard! ;)You are right, and that one is the one from St. Petersburg.
The Moscow one is here http://gost.ru

Which one you prefer to work by may depend on the kind of work you are doing.

Isn't is democratic, you have the choice, one or the other?

Benedikt
23-03-2014, 09:47
16c2 First Shemilovskiy Pereulok, Moscow, 127473

so schreibt man in A,D,CH...

http://www.post.at/files/Richtig_Adressieren_09_2009.pdf

Benedikt
23-03-2014, 09:49
There is, of course, the Russian Standard!

MY standard....
and since i only have to please myself:drink: or be happy with it,:beerbros:why not!:10518:

penka
23-03-2014, 11:10
There is, of course, the Russian Standard!

MY standard....
and since i only have to please myself:drink: or be happy with it,:beerbros:why not!:10518:

Ben, you drink vodka??

Gervais
23-03-2014, 17:03
so schreibt man in A,D,CH...

http://www.post.at/files/Richtig_Adressieren_09_2009.pdf

"We" call it D, A, CH or sometimes DACH :D :D :D :D

Benedikt
24-03-2014, 09:12
"We" call it D, A, CH or sometimes DACH :D :D :D :D

so, of course -A- :fireworks:has to come first....:11030:

George87
29-03-2014, 13:39
Well I arrived in Moscow, now if only I could work out my own address. I know the district has the word "wings" in it and maybe it is close to some embassies.

swelis
29-03-2014, 16:06
Hi George!
Welcome!
Wings - you mean Krylatskoe and embassy of Sierra Leone?

George87
29-03-2014, 16:40
Hi Swelis, thanks for the welcome. I'm not sure if it is Krylatskoe or not but I think you must be right. I will know the name of the area by Monday, out my window I can see the river and not too far away a park with red bending structure across it. Someone who told me the name of the area said it to me and then I forgot it straight away lol , but I'm pretty sure it started with a K so that must be it. Thanks! I've been out exploring a few times today, the weather isn't too bad.

penka
29-03-2014, 17:35
You are right, and that one is the one from St. Petersburg.
The Moscow one is here http://gost.ru

Which one you prefer to work by may depend on the kind of work you are doing.

Isn't is democratic, you have the choice, one or the other?

You know, all laughing aside, when I was a kid, GOST was applicable to food and boy, I still drool over the memories of some foods I loved - they are no more:((

I remember a few years ago, I came for my BD and mum asked me what I would like to buy food wise for the party. I made the list and we hit the shops. I came, I saw a certain thing I was after made here, made there, tons of names and the shop assistant asked me, which I would prefer and I said "The type they were making during Brezhnev":). A small crowd gathered, reminiscing of the great taste people remembered.

This NY I was browsing shops and farmers' markets after a good warm smoked sturgeon - everything was crap. Plain crappy crap. Finally found something that was reminding of that proper taste - at Azbuka...Less jolly, you know.

swelis
29-03-2014, 18:24
I've been out exploring a few times today, the weather isn't too bad.

When I opened the curtains this morning it was all white outside with snow.
Again.
When the real spring will really come?????????

George87
29-03-2014, 19:26
When I opened the curtains this morning it was all white outside with snow.
Again.
When the real spring will really come?????????

It's no Australian Summer that's for sure, but it could be worse. The forecast is saying 12 for later this week. Double digits!

Hans.KK
29-03-2014, 20:02
You know, all laughing aside, when I was a kid, GOST was applicable to food and boy, I still drool over the memories of some foods I loved - they are no more:((There is still GOST food around, we have canned meat, and my favourite GOST ice cream, there is quite a few with "GOST" and then a number, but I do not discriminate so I just eat all kind of GOST ice cream no matter what number they put on the thing, and they are a lot cheaper than the foreign branded.

MilkandGin
02-04-2014, 15:06
Yea,

About that ... addresses in Moscow are ridiculous. I've been here a month and can barely sort them out. Streets don't have street signs, though occasionally, like once every 5 blocks, a street sign will be appended to the end of a building with that buildings number. I joke with my friends, "You'd think the communists would have at least left street signs."

House numbers, or what Russians call street numbers, are confusing and often quite low. You'll see five, six, seven buildings, or a block all with the same House Number. Once your find the House Number, you have to find the Korpus, or building number. Then the suite or office number.

Trying to find an address in this city is like pulling teeth. My recommendation is to use an iPhone or iPad and its navigation feature.

penka
02-04-2014, 17:10
There is still GOST food around, we have canned meat, and my favourite GOST ice cream, there is quite a few with "GOST" and then a number, but I do not discriminate so I just eat all kind of GOST ice cream no matter what number they put on the thing, and they are a lot cheaper than the foreign branded.

De juro - yes, de facto - no. The proper smoked sturgeon cannot be made in Moskovskaya oblast, margarine is not a healthier choice over butter and smoked sausage cannot mature properly due to the added chemicals. No matter, how many GOST stamps one puts on all that. And yes, crayfish must be cooked when alive, humanitarian reasons or not:)

On another note: Chistaya Linia ice-cream is of good quality.

robertmf
02-04-2014, 17:37
... so I just eat all kind of GOST ice cream no matter what number they put on the thing, and they are a lot cheaper than the foreign branded.

You need a hand-crank ice cream maker :) The ingredients tend to be more expensive than store bought, but home-made is very good.

penka
02-04-2014, 17:51
You need a hand-crank ice cream maker :) The ingredients tend to be more expensive than store bought, but home-made is very good.

Do you need a basement to come along with it?

robertmf
02-04-2014, 18:11
Do you need a basement to come along with it?

:confused: Why need a basement :question:

penka
02-04-2014, 18:18
:confused: Why need a basement :question:

Are you supposed to fit this thing into a freezer???

robertmf
02-04-2014, 19:26
Are you supposed to fit this thing into a freezer???

Yes. The typical bucket insert only holds about 2 liters

The wood you see is the outer wooden shell. There is also an inner smaller (usually stainless steel) bucket that fits inside which holds the ice cream mix. In between the 2 buckets is where the salt & ice go.

White Mountain Hand Cranked Ice Cream Maker - YouTube

The Old Farmers' Almanac ice cream making tips (http://www.almanac.com/content/tips-how-make-homemade-ice-cream#)

Hand cranked ice cream is usually made outdoors with kids doing the chore ;)