PDA

View Full Version : Guinness boycotts St. Patrick's parade in NYC

Judge
18-03-2014, 11:25
Several brewers, including Guinness, said they were refusing to sponsor St. Patrick’s Day parades in New York and Boston, while mayors of the cities canceled their participation in the events, after gay people weren’t allowed to march under LGBT banners.

Irish brewer Guinness, a key sponsor of the New York City parade, announced on Sunday afternoon it was withdrawing its participation.

“Guinness has a strong history of supporting diversity and being an advocate for equality for all. We were hopeful that the policy of exclusion would be reversed for this year's parade,” a statement by brewer’s parent company, Diageo, reads. “We will continue to work with community leaders to ensure that future parades have an inclusionary policy.”

A few days earlier, two more brewers dropped their sponsorship of St. Patrick’s parades over the gay rights issue: Heineken in New York and Sam Adams in Boston.

Parade organizers have not just faced economic pressure, political tension has also run high, as Boston's Irish-American mayor, Marty Walsh, decided not to visit the city's St. Patrick's Day parade, having failed to persuade organizers to allow gay and lesbian activists to march openly.

"As mayor of the City of Boston, I have to do my best to ensure that all Bostonians are free to participate fully in the civic life of our city,” Walsh said as cited by Reuters. “Unfortunately, this year, the parties were not able to come to an understanding that would have made that possible."

Last week New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said he would not take part in the parade on Monday, also citing the ban on open participation by LGBT community members.

Parade organizers have explained they did not actually ban gay groups from marching, but did not allow them to carry LGBT signs and banners, as that runs contrary to Roman Catholic values, which many in the Irish community uphold.

Despite controversy surrounding the event and pressure from LGBT rights lobby, Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny attended Boston's annual St. Patrick's Day breakfast on Sunday and said he planned to march Monday in New York.

"The St. Patrick's Day parade [in New York] is a parade about our Irishness and not about sexuality, and I would be happy to participate in it," Kenny said in Dublin before leaving for the US, according to AP.

The view is hardly shared by most US politicians, as organizers of St. Patrick's Day parades in New York and Boston have in recent years felt increasingly pressurized into allowing openly gay marchers, as more and more local officials decline to take part in the parade.

http://rt.com/usa/guinness-sponsorship-st-patrick-242/

Benedikt
18-03-2014, 11:29
who cares, others will be glad to help and take up the slack...

okiey
18-03-2014, 12:17
That's it no more Guinness for me, time to switch to Murphy's!

okiey
18-03-2014, 12:20
Its a shame that an Irish cultural event is hi-jacked by the gay brigade; that's today's America for you.

Several brewers, including Guinness, said they were refusing to sponsor St. Patrick’s Day parades in New York and Boston, while mayors of the cities canceled their participation in the events, after gay people weren’t allowed to march under LGBT banners.

Irish brewer Guinness, a key sponsor of the New York City parade, announced on Sunday afternoon it was withdrawing its participation.

“Guinness has a strong history of supporting diversity and being an advocate for equality for all. We were hopeful that the policy of exclusion would be reversed for this year's parade,” a statement by brewer’s parent company, Diageo, reads. “We will continue to work with community leaders to ensure that future parades have an inclusionary policy.”

A few days earlier, two more brewers dropped their sponsorship of St. Patrick’s parades over the gay rights issue: Heineken in New York and Sam Adams in Boston.

Parade organizers have not just faced economic pressure, political tension has also run high, as Boston's Irish-American mayor, Marty Walsh, decided not to visit the city's St. Patrick's Day parade, having failed to persuade organizers to allow gay and lesbian activists to march openly.

"As mayor of the City of Boston, I have to do my best to ensure that all Bostonians are free to participate fully in the civic life of our city,” Walsh said as cited by Reuters. “Unfortunately, this year, the parties were not able to come to an understanding that would have made that possible."

Last week New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said he would not take part in the parade on Monday, also citing the ban on open participation by LGBT community members.

Parade organizers have explained they did not actually ban gay groups from marching, but did not allow them to carry LGBT signs and banners, as that runs contrary to Roman Catholic values, which many in the Irish community uphold.

Despite controversy surrounding the event and pressure from LGBT rights lobby, Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny attended Boston's annual St. Patrick's Day breakfast on Sunday and said he planned to march Monday in New York.

"The St. Patrick's Day parade [in New York] is a parade about our Irishness and not about sexuality, and I would be happy to participate in it," Kenny said in Dublin before leaving for the US, according to AP.

The view is hardly shared by most US politicians, as organizers of St. Patrick's Day parades in New York and Boston have in recent years felt increasingly pressurized into allowing openly gay marchers, as more and more local officials decline to take part in the parade.

http://rt.com/usa/guinness-sponsorship-st-patrick-242/

Judge
18-03-2014, 12:37

Always preferred Kilkenny myself..

Judge
18-03-2014, 12:50
Its a shame that an Irish cultural event is hi-jacked by the gay brigade; that's today's America for you.

:idea:
Lots of rainbow flags to represent the leprechaun's pot of gold at the end of the rainbow

okiey
18-03-2014, 12:57
Lots of rainbow flags to represent the leprechaun's pot of gold at the end of the rainbow

And men dancing in kilts:-)

Alan65
18-03-2014, 13:16

Any sources other than RT ...

Judge
18-03-2014, 13:34

you trying to say RT is making up a story:D

Alan65
18-03-2014, 13:52
you trying to say RT is making up a story:D

RT....where every day is April 1st...and I guess there will be many in Russia who believe this story.

rusmeister
18-03-2014, 17:59
Personally I think that if we proclaim a day to be someone's, then we ought to show some respect for what that person stood for if we propose to celebrate the day. It makes zero sense, it is actually stupid to call a day So-and-so's Day (or even Such-and-such Day) and then proceed to propagate exactly what that person stood against.
It would be like insisting on celebrating slavery and racism on Martin Luther King Day.

But that is what many now do on Saint Patrick's Day. Legitimate drinking turns into drunkenness, which would have appalled Patrick, and now people want to "proudly" parade homosexual relations, which Patrick would have fiercely denounced.

Such is the logic of the modern mind - the complete disconnect between what celebration is and what is being celebrated.

Benedikt
18-03-2014, 18:15
Such is the logic of the modern mind - the complete disconnect between what celebration is and what is being celebrated.[/QUOTE]

why we celebrate or what is the reason behind it.
it is a money making machine, nothing else.
Mothers Day, Valentines, even Christmas or Easter. it is mone yand commerce. And some people think, because these days are made highly visible in the press, they must or have or think have, a legitimate right, to press for issues. most of the time they are not connected to the vent even very remote, but they want it. so, let them, best is don't pay attention, because THAT is what they crave. but the press does not get it. because it sells newspapers and on TV it makes for ratings.

Nobbynumbnuts
19-03-2014, 09:24
Personally I think that if we proclaim a day to be someone's, then we ought to show some respect for what that person stood for if we propose to celebrate the day. It makes zero sense, it is actually stupid to call a day So-and-so's Day (or even Such-and-such Day) and then proceed to propagate exactly what that person stood against.
It would be like insisting on celebrating slavery and racism on Martin Luther King Day.

But that is what many now do on Saint Patrick's Day. Legitimate drinking turns into drunkenness, which would have appalled Patrick, and now people want to "proudly" parade homosexual relations, which Patrick would have fiercely denounced.

Such is the logic of the modern mind - the complete disconnect between what celebration is and what is being celebrated.

It's wrong for the gay community to try to highjack the St. Paddy's day parade. They have plenty of parades of their own. BUT if the Catholic church changed it's ridiculous policies which also includes anti abortion and anti condom use etc they wouldn't find themselves embroiled in these controversies......

okiey
19-03-2014, 10:01
It's wrong for the gay community to try to highjack the St. Paddy's day parade. They have plenty of parades of their own. BUT if the Catholic church changed it's ridiculous policies which also includes anti abortion and anti condom use etc they wouldn't find themselves embroiled in these controversies......

If homosexuals have the right to be gay, can't Catholics have the right to be Catholics?

Nobbynumbnuts
19-03-2014, 10:17
If homosexuals have the right to be gay, can't Catholics have the right to be Catholics?

Who ever said Catholics don't have the right to be Catholics?
Many disagree with some of their beliefs.

TolkoRaz
19-03-2014, 10:38

Is that what they refer to as Murphy's Law? ;)

rusmeister
19-03-2014, 18:31

THere's nothing ridiculous about being against the murder of babies in the womb. What's ridiculous is thinking it's not murder because they are smaller and hidden inside of their mothers.

If their understanding of sexuality is right (and I think it is) then there is nothing ridiculous about thinking condoms wrong, either.

If they are embroiled in controversy, it is because someone is embroiling them. Identify the someones, please.

Judge
19-03-2014, 23:46

Are you still looking,let me help you..

https://www.google.com/search?q=guienssnes+pull+out+of+irish&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t#q=guinness+pull+out+paddy's+day&spell=1

FatAndy
20-03-2014, 03:34
Nasty homos have stolen the rainbow from children and leprechauns!!! :evilgrin:
:happymad: