PDA

View Full Version : Beware expats, keep your nose clean!

bydand
14-03-2014, 19:10
Apparently Russia has already started counter-sanctions, before the West even starts any sanctions.
-----------------------------

Even before the Ukraine standoff, foreign companies in Russia say they were alarmed by the number of executives being deported for minor infractions. Now with the West preparing sanctions, they’re bracing for more.

Almost 1,000 people from countries outside the former Soviet Union have had their work visas revoked for committing two or more “administrative violations” since the end of last year, when the migration service and traffic police linked their databases, according to immigration authorities. Such offenses can be as minor as a parking ticket, smoking in prohibited areas or even jaywalking.

“Individuals have been stopped on the border for having two speeding tickets and told their visa is no longer any good,” said Alexis Rodzianko, president of the American Chamber of Commerce in Moscow, which promotes the interests of Exxon Mobil Corp., PepsiCo Inc. (PEP) and 800 other companies.

Before the Kremlin-backed president of Ukraine, Viktor Yanukovych, was ousted last month, prompting President Vladimir Putin to pour troops into Crimea and prepare to annex the peninsula, officials said they were working with foreign businesses to resolve the deportation problem as quickly as possible. Now those talks are effectively on ice, according to the Association of European Business, which lobbies on behalf of European companies including BP Plc (BP/) and Siemens AG. (SI)

Russian Retaliation

Lawmakers meanwhile are preparing legislation that would allow Russian authorities to seize assets of western companies in case of sanctions. Russian Deputy Economy Minister Sergei Belyakov, who’s in charge of luring foreign investment, said that he’s working with the migration service to resolve the visa difficulties.

Link; http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-13/putin-deports-executives-for-speeding-as-sanctions-loom.html

Benedikt
14-03-2014, 19:46
pay your parking fines, don't smoke where you are not supposed to smoke, don't walk around in the street with a bottle of beer in your hand.
and you will have no problems with your visa.

okiey
14-03-2014, 19:48
Yeah I read that on Bloomberg today also, a bit disturbing to say the least.

bydand
14-03-2014, 19:51
pay your parking fines, don't smoke where you are not supposed to smoke, don't walk around in the street with a bottle of beer in your hand.
and you will have no problems with your visa.

Ben, by any chance, did you happen to come across Jack's rose colored glasses?

This is about executives that are "targeted". Do you really think anybody who got a parking ticket will have their visa voided?

Well, it may come to that, if the oligarchs in Russia are so worried they can't send their money and children west. What about Firtash in Austria?

Benedikt
14-03-2014, 20:03
What about Firtash in Austria?[/QUOTE]

the Austrians only fulfilled an international obligation, it was the FBI who requested that he was arrested, that was sanctioned by the Austrian courts and the law enforcement acted. see anything wrong with that?

http://www.krone.at/Oesterreich/Ukrainischer_Oligarch_-48-_in_Wien_verhaftet-Wegen_Bestechung-Story-396868
http://www.xn--sterreich-z7a.at/nachrichten/Ukraine-Milliardaer-in-Wien-verhaftet/135914613
there are also connections to USA companies, in the USA, supposedly money laundering, heads will also roll there...

bydand
14-03-2014, 20:20
What about Firtash in Austria?

the Austrians only fulfilled an international obligation, it was the FBI who requested that he was arrested, that was sanctioned by the Austrian courts and the law enforcement acted. see anything wrong with that?

http://www.krone.at/Oesterreich/Ukrainischer_Oligarch_-48-_in_Wien_verhaftet-Wegen_Bestechung-Story-396868[/QUOTE]

I see nothing wrong with that at all. What I see I think not right, is Russia revoking visas for "administrative" violations, like a parking ticket; and targeting "VIPs" to make a point. They didn't steal millions, their car (maybe it was their wife, or driver who did it) was parked in the wrong spot.

Nobbynumbnuts
14-03-2014, 20:35
[/COLOR]......What I see I think not right, is Russia revoking visas for "administrative" violations, like a parking ticket; and targeting "VIPs" to make a point. They didn't steal millions, their car (maybe it was their wife, or driver who did it) was parked in the wrong spot.

Precisely, these are not criminal cases. Paranoia is creeping back into Russian authorities behavior....;)

okiey
14-03-2014, 20:37
[/COLOR]

http://www.krone.at/Oesterreich/Ukrainischer_Oligarch_-48-_in_Wien_verhaftet-Wegen_Bestechung-Story-396868

I see nothing wrong with that at all. What I see I think not right, is Russia revoking visas for "administrative" violations, like a parking ticket; and targeting "VIPs" to make a point. They didn't steal millions, their car (maybe it was their wife, or driver who did it) was parked in the wrong spot.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you; but, targeting Firtash because his face suddenly doesn't fit and overlooking others is also not right ... I mean if we want real transparency then set the same rules for everyone.

Suuryaa
14-03-2014, 20:39
Almost 1,000 people from countries outside the former Soviet Union have had their work visas revoked for committing two or more “administrative violations” since the end of last year, when the migration service and traffic police linked their databases, according to immigration authorities. Such offenses can be as minor as a parking ticket, smoking in prohibited areas or even jaywalking.

Too severe.

Lawmakers meanwhile are preparing legislation that would allow Russian authorities to seize assets of western companies in case of sanctions.

This is just stupid. Will scare away investors.

Benedikt
14-03-2014, 21:14
This is just stupid. Will scare away investors.[/QUOTE]

as it is cooked.....

okiey
14-03-2014, 21:23
Too severe.

Well here is the strange thing, Russia has recorded net inflows via ETFs for the second week running

bydand
14-03-2014, 21:28
Well here is the strange thing, Russia has recorded net inflows via ETFs for the second week running

Because they are cheap (already rubles are cheap), and near record lows. You buying Okiey?

bydand
14-03-2014, 21:33

nothing is eaten as hot
as it is cooked.....[/QUOTE]

So what?

The fish rots from the head down. Cook it until its charcoal, уголь?

What's your point?

Nobbynumbnuts
14-03-2014, 21:39
Because they are cheap (already rubles are cheap), and near record lows. You buying Okiey?

Cheap? They could easily get a lot cheaper.
Buying right now could be described as 'like trying to catch a falling knife'..

Nobbynumbnuts
14-03-2014, 21:40

Source of that information?

inorcist
14-03-2014, 22:35
pay your parking fines

It's not about unpaid fines. It's about having a fine in general. Two speeding tickets within three years and you're out.

Form what I was told by a UFMS guy the original aim of the law was to "better control the migrant worker population" and it was very hastily passed after the riots last year. The side effect is now that it's almost entirely effecting people on highly-qualified permits who get speeding tickets.

There are two suggestions at the moment for a fix being discussed: either that it only applies to foreigners who don't need a visa or that one of the two fines must be related to migration law.

Suuryaa
14-03-2014, 22:49
It's not about unpaid fines. It's about having a fine in general. Two speeding tickets within three years and you're out.

Form what I was told by a UFMS guy the original aim of the law was to "better control the migrant worker population" and it was very hastily passed after the riots last year. The side effect is now that it's almost entirely effecting people on highly-qualified permits who get speeding tickets.

There are two suggestions at the moment for a fix being discussed: either that it only applies to foreigners who don't need a visa or that one of the two fines must be related to migration law.

Plus this law in no way affects illegal migrants, who create most problems.

inorcist
14-03-2014, 22:53
I consider it a similar SNAFU as back in 2011 with the registration of foreigners. Was solved in the end, even to the better.

okiey
14-03-2014, 23:04
Source of that information?

http://www.etftrends.com/2013/05/russia-etf-sees-heavy-inflows-as-oil-prices-rebound/

Nobbynumbnuts
14-03-2014, 23:13
http://www.etftrends.com/2013/05/russia-etf-sees-heavy-inflows-as-oil-prices-rebound/

The date on that article is May 16th..

okiey
14-03-2014, 23:22
The date on that article is May 16th..

Sorry mate:

Nobbynumbnuts
14-03-2014, 23:34

As i said, the article is dated May 16 2013. Last year.
What has that got to do with the present crisis?

okiey
14-03-2014, 23:48

http://www.etftrends.com/2014/03/its-getting-pricy-to-bet-against-russia-etfs/

okiey
14-03-2014, 23:50

Sorry my friend try the last one, apologies:-(

Capman
14-03-2014, 23:54
You mean there are actually places to park a car in Moscow?

Nobbynumbnuts
15-03-2014, 00:03
http://www.etftrends.com/2014/03/its-getting-pricy-to-bet-against-russia-etfs/

Yes, there have been inflows but if you read the article in full it's hardly positive.

Last week the MSCI index plunged over 10% the following day it rebounded around 5%. It has still been falling. Speculators will buy on dips hoping to make short term gains. As i said before, if you buy now, like trying to catch a falling knife.
Some might think that because the oil price has risen sharply in the past few days that this is good for Russia-well the ruble is still falling and the stock market too.
If oil prices rise much further there is a danger the world economy will slow or slip back into recession. This means reduced demand for commodities and oil prices will fall again.
The outlook at the moment is not good and a strong chance the situation will worsen.

Remington
15-03-2014, 00:24

What about TRP/PRP holders as they have almost same rights as Russian citizens? They should be excluded for petty fines but anything serious like reckless driving resulting in death or injuries should be deported. Like the Armenian truck driver crashed into a bus full of passengers last year.

Alan65
15-03-2014, 00:27
Apparently Russia has already started counter-sanctions, before the West even starts any sanctions.
-----------------------------

Even before the Ukraine standoff, foreign companies in Russia say they were alarmed by the number of executives being deported for minor infractions. Now with the West preparing sanctions, they’re bracing for more.

“Individuals have been stopped on the border for having two speeding tickets and told their visa is no longer any good,” said Alexis Rodzianko, president of the American Chamber of Commerce in Moscow, which promotes the interests of Exxon Mobil Corp., PepsiCo Inc. (PEP) and 800 other companies.

Before the Kremlin-backed president of Ukraine, Viktor Yanukovych, was ousted last month, prompting President Vladimir Putin to pour troops into Crimea and prepare to annex the peninsula, officials said they were working with foreign businesses to resolve the deportation problem as quickly as possible. Now those talks are effectively on ice, according to the Association of European Business, which lobbies on behalf of European companies including BP Plc (BP/) and Siemens AG. (SI)

Russian Retaliation

Lawmakers meanwhile are preparing legislation that would allow Russian authorities to seize assets of western companies in case of sanctions. Russian Deputy Economy Minister Sergei Belyakov, who’s in charge of luring foreign investment, said that he’s working with the migration service to resolve the visa difficulties.

Link; http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-13/putin-deports-executives-for-speeding-as-sanctions-loom.html

If we can now send Russians back for traffic violations in London....that should get rid of at least 50%

TolkoRaz
15-03-2014, 00:28
There will be a few Americans packing their belongings soon and departing Moscow unless Washington reduces the frenzied rhetoric! ;)

That man needs to go and find a trained hairdresser! ;)