PDA

View Full Version : Sir Eduard Hillary died

Benedikt
11-01-2008, 15:36
as we remember he was the first person to reach the top of mount everest in the himalayas. and still for years there was a controversy going on, i remember reading about it from time to time, was it him or his sherpa Tenseng (sp?) who was fist.
suppose THAT time it would have been politically incorrect to have a white man being second to a porter...and so Hillary was made Sir and the world was again in order.
Sorry not eduard but EDMUND

TGP
11-01-2008, 19:42
I should confess to my ignorance: I don't remember the name :shame:
But what you wrote about PC only strengthens my belief that politcorrectness in its present exaggerated form of demonstation is a rather strained concept.

Hawk
11-01-2008, 20:39
Respect to the man, foresure...

Judge
11-01-2008, 21:29
Rip

Transparent Theatre
21-01-2008, 17:03
This story has suddenly acquired a new significance. Apparently none of the Royal Family (I mean, the British Royal Family, who hold the position of Head Of State in New Zealand) have bothered to turn up for Hillary's funeral, OR to even acknowledge the invitations which were sent to them.

Since Hillary held the unofficial role of "greatest living New Zealander", there is understandable annoyance over this. The argument goes that such a funeral ought to have been presided over by the Head Of State... since no-one from London even bothered to go, it proves they are incapable of fulfilling basic duties (they are never seen in NZ from one year to the next, of course).