PDA

View Full Version : any teachers out there.....?

Mark
23-02-2004, 14:21
I'll be returning to Moscow next week after a three year absence to teach English.

I'd be really interested in finding out what you guys think of the teaching situation at the moment.
Are there many private students looking for teachers? What are the going rates these days for private students these days? (It used to be around $20 - $25).

I already have a couple of groups lined up through a school but am sure I can still earn more through private students.

Any advice most appreciated.

Regards

Mark

stefania2003
23-02-2004, 16:16
Well, I think (I am constantly being told) that people are more interested in learning English from Brits than Americans because of the different nuances in the language and the accent. Of course if I was American maybe they'd be telling me the opposite! There are theoretically a lot of private students looking for teachers but it's just finding them that is hard of course. I think if you are working for BKC you'll have more than enough work to keep you going as they are the biggest school here. I think $25 is too much and I never have charged more than $20 for private students and I only recently put my rate up to that and I've been teaching for ages.
There are two (or maybe 3) guys on the site who are also English teachers and they might give you some more interesting insights on the subject than I can! I'm typing this when having a tea break from packing to move apartments so am too exhausted to go into any subject deeply!
Funny thing is, (about teaching) there seem to be more male than female native English teachers whereas the Russian English teachers are nearly all female. Just an observation.

Mark
23-02-2004, 16:38
Thanks for the info Stefania - and good luck with the move!

waxwing
23-02-2004, 20:13
Originally posted by stefania2003
Funny thing is, (about teaching) there seem to be more male than female native English teachers whereas the Russian English teachers are nearly all female. Just an observation.

Largely true. I'd say there are two reasons why most of the foreign teachers are men.
1. One of the very few positive stereotypes about Russia is that the women are beautiful.
2. Because of all the other stereotypes, coming here voluntarily to teach is only likely to attract the more adventurous type of person, who isn't afraid of (supposed) danger and discomfort. They tend to be men.

kak viy dumayetye?

DaveUKagain
23-02-2004, 20:23
"kak viy dumayetye?"

Could be. I also think that most TEFL courses in the UK attract male students, too.......

stefania2003
23-02-2004, 21:02
Well, is that why I get so much attention from my male students? Because I'm a rarity?:) (joke!)
I agree about the discomfort after having lived in an overpriced s***hole for over 2 years but now (hopefully) moving to somewhere dearer but better so all is about to change!
I'd already been here and worked here long before English teachers were in demand (as an interpreter) so knew the score and was prepared to put up with it. But all in all, Moscow is like any big city in many respects nowadays.

ghost 6-3
24-02-2004, 11:38
Even if students prefer British teachers, I bet you could make money teaching special one-off courses (say, six weeks) in 'American English' emphasizing the differences. Most of my Russian friends (most of whom speak little or no English), will sincerely explain to me that there are big, BIG, differences. And this is very serious for students.

This may be why Brits and Americans get together over here and can't understand one another at all. And Australians, Irish and worst of all, Canadians, speak primitive forms of English which are incomprehensible to anyone else.

waxwing
24-02-2004, 12:22
Originally posted by ghost 6-3
Even if students prefer British teachers,

which generally they don't. Especially the younger ones (i.e. most of them). There was a preference for British English as somehow 'purer', especially in the University and state education system. That's not relevant now, although of course there will always be individuals who ask for one or the other. American English is, I'd say, more useful, if only a little.
I agree with ghost about how tiresome it is trying to explain to students that Brits and Americans are perfectly capable of communicating with each other..

kniga
24-02-2004, 12:30
Waxwing,

You wouldn't say that if you had to work with my Brit partner from the northeast part of the U.K. :-)

stefania2003
24-02-2004, 12:57
I disagree with Waxwing - according to my experience anyway. I teach nearly all young students (most are in their mid to late twenties) and they all say they'd rather have a British teacher - for various different reasons. As I said in my previous post, I know American teachers who do really well out here so it's possible I just teach the people with those preferences:)
But Waxwing is generally wrong now regarding pronunciation because nearly all the older generation who know English speak with a pseudo-American accent whereas the younger ones all want to speak with a British accent - as far as I've experienced.

waxwing
24-02-2004, 13:27
Well, that's puzzling. Especially the bit about the older ones preferring American English.

I'm going to defer to stefania's deeper experience on this... I've only been here for about 6 months, whereas I think she's been here years if I read correctly.

But I'd like to know why I'm wrong :) I taught in Izhevsk and Stavropol and in both cases found that the teachers' accents were much more British than American (OK that is subjective).

Most students haven't expressed any preference to me, but a few seem to prefer using American style English. I've taught in state schools (in Izhevsk) and I've visited a couple of Universities .. they tend to use A-L methods with British English based materials. But perhaps that kind of generalisation isn't really possible.

stefania2003
24-02-2004, 22:52
As I say, it's simply based on my experience here. To be honest, this anti-Americanism (in the context of English teaching) seems to have, if anything, got worse recently. I suppose there's the usual political element to it. I taught in Israel when I lived there for 18 months and it was the opposite there - they love Americans and all strive to speak with an American accent and hate the Brits because of the history. I had a few years break from here and when I came back I felt, within a week, how nationalistic things had become and it could be linked to that too. I do however know a few American teachers here and they seem to be ok. I'd be quite interested to know whether there are more Americans than Brits (teachers) out here or vice versa.