PDA

View Full Version : Why do Russian drivers drive me mad!

vossy7
09-03-2014, 15:54
So we were driving from the south back to Moscow today to get my wife to a dental appointment , nothing to do with eating muffins I hasten to add, we were on a three lane highway , the M2.....
The freaking inside lane was almost empty and all the f@#$%^& Sunday drivers were hugging the the other two lanes.........why is this?
What is the aversion of the inside lane to Russian drivers?
A very dear Russian friend once told me that ...."well in bygone days we were not allowed to drive in the outside lane so it is a pent up desire".......
Is that true , can you pent up a desire to drive every other poor disciplined driver nuts?
Apologies to my Russian fellow posters here , you would never hug the outside lanes would you?

Judge
09-03-2014, 16:35
Drive right up behind them flashing your lights, if that doesn't work a good honk of the horn ,if still stuck , zig zag pass them doing this V-sign that we know as f*ck off.... best not give the well known finger cos they will know that one and they might hunt you down...:D:ak:

Two reasons (I think) why drivers here hog the fast lane,probably it's the same in other counrties, first is they just don't care cos they are driving at the correct speed,the other and I think it's the main reason here, is they don't know the correct rules of how to drive on a motorway and think it's OK to let other drivers overtake on the wrong side...

Why you complaining? don't they have a hard shoudler on the M2 that you can speed down and overtake everyone..:rolleyes:

Judge
09-03-2014, 17:03
I don't know about you Vossy, but I'm kinda used to driving here now, I mean the small things like you posted above don't annoy me anymore....
What is pretty annoying is when drivers don't indicate and make a quick turn I always give them a long honk of the horn...

All in all many drivers are respectful though,good to see drivers flash their hazard lights to say thanks, just recently I learnt that flashig hazard lights here also means sorry, like sorry for cutting you off... kinda nice too..

vossy7
09-03-2014, 17:13
I don't know about you Vossy, but I'm kinda used to driving here now, I mean the small things like you posted above don't annoy me anymore....
What is pretty annoying is when drivers don't indicate and make a quick turn I always give them a long honk of the horn...

All in all many drivers are respectful though,good to see drivers flash their hazard lights to say thanks, just recently I learnt that flashig hazard lights here also means sorry, like sorry for cutting you off... kinda nice too..

Cheers J...I've been driving here now since 1990......when it was all Zigulies and Volgas with a smattering of Zaporozhets and Moskvitchs.......I am very tolerant normally but just got a bit het up today for some reason.......maybe that the sun was shining and tomorrow is a holiday and we just had to go back to the big smoke!

TolkoRaz
09-03-2014, 17:16
So we were driving from the south back to Moscow today to get my wife to a dental appointment , nothing to do with eating muffins I hasten to add, we were on a three lane highway , the M2.....
The freaking inside lane was almost empty and all the f@#$%^& Sunday drivers were hugging the the other two lanes.........why is this?
What is the aversion of the inside lane to Russian drivers?
A very dear Russian friend once told me that ...."well in bygone days we were not allowed to drive in the outside lane so it is a pent up desire".......
Is that true , can you pent up a desire to drive every other poor disciplined driver nuts?
Apologies to my Russian fellow posters here , you would never hug the outside lanes would you?

What are you complaining about?

Get yourself a decent motor! ;)

T-80 Tank Training - YouTube

vossy7
09-03-2014, 17:31

T-80 Tank Training - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFoKuBWsqD0)

мечтать :mml:

TolkoRaz
09-03-2014, 18:04
Antonov-225 is 'codename' мечта! ;)

vossy7
09-03-2014, 18:52

I keep telling everybody it all started in Russia...
http://pynchonesque.blogspot.ru/2010/12/first-russian-tank.html

robertmf
09-03-2014, 19:04

NATO uses "Cossack"

JanC
09-03-2014, 19:32
I don't care what lane they use on highways if only they would stop blocking intersections when clearly there is no way to go. I swear half of all the traffic jams in Moscow are caused by lack of common sense when it comes to crossings.

robertmf
09-03-2014, 20:10
... I swear half of all the traffic jams in Moscow are caused by lack of common sense when it comes to crossings.

In other places, too :p
Gridlock in Times Square NYC (30-Nov-2011) - YouTube

Judge
10-03-2014, 11:03
I don't care what lane they use on highways if only they would stop blocking intersections when clearly there is no way to go. I swear half of all the traffic jams in Moscow are caused by lack of common sense when it comes to crossings.

It's like most people turn hyper agressive behind the wheel,if they see a empty space they muct occupy it before someone else does..
I see this happening before at road works, when the road is 3 or 4 lanes but then comes down to 2 lanes(they use the hard shoulder and the grass), drivers make their own lanes and still try and have 3-4 lanes, but when they come to the road works where only 2 lanes can pass a bottleneck is created which slows everything down.

If drivers were more patient and relaxed and like you said showed common sense, traffic would flow much better.

I was told that billboards appeared in the centre, telling drivers about blocking intersections..

Judge
10-03-2014, 11:16
In other places, too :p
Gridlock in Times Square NYC (30-Nov-2011) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JPUmypGGbE)

Wasn't that bad, over in a few seconds and just a few cars caught in the middle.

Capman
10-03-2014, 17:25

Or maybe something a little more practical ... :)

The Marauder - Ten Ton Military Vehicle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cDoRmT0iRic)

Gervais
10-03-2014, 18:14
Or maybe something a little more practical ... :)

The Marauder - Ten Ton Military Vehicle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cDoRmT0iRic)

:mml:

TolkoRaz
10-03-2014, 22:58
Although this is an American vehicle, nothing beats this for Moscow's snarled up roads:

SUV's in the Presidential or VIP motorcades - YouTube