PDA

View Full Version : Married...what next

elwin
28-02-2014, 00:00
Hi guys,

So we finally tied the knot last month. Is there anything that I need to do so that the marriage certificate is recognised in my home country or is it automatically recognised?

Regards,
Elwin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Benedikt
28-02-2014, 06:12
[QUOTE=elwin;1283742]Hi guys,

So we finally tied the knot last month. Is there anything that I need to do so that the marriage certificate is recognised in my home country or is it automatically recognised?

i made a copy of mine, went to the (Austrian) consulate and that was it. the lady there tapped a few computer keys and i was listed as -married- in the file.

Hans.KK
28-02-2014, 08:13
So we finally tied the knot last month. Is there anything that I need to do so that the marriage certificate is recognised in my home country or is it automatically recognised? No automatic in it, sorry.

If your native country have sign the Apostille convention Apostille Convention - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia then you get the marriage certificate Apostille stamped here in Russia and then you may need to get it translated (the demands to the translation is something you have to investigate in you native country) to a language that they can understand in you native country, sometimes you can make it with a translation made in Russia (with Russian Notary stamp), but some country's demand that it is an authorized translator in there country that do the job.

If you native country had not sign the Apostille convention then you have to ask the authority in you native country about in what Legalization http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legalization_(international_law) way they need the marriage certificate to be.

A few country's do not in any way recognize a marriage that had taken place outside there own soil, then you have to redo the marriage in your native country.

RooRu
02-03-2014, 11:09
If you're British you don't need to do anything. Your Russian marriage certificate (a certified translation thereof) will be sufficient for any UK procedures requiring evidence of marriage.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/marriage-certificate-registry-service-discontinued-for-overseas-brits

jasone65
02-03-2014, 12:10
I agree with RooRu. This is all I had to do being British.