PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Checks

MilkandGin
26-02-2014, 10:10
Are U.S. checks essentially worthless in Moscow? Are they accepted for any purpose?

kanga
26-02-2014, 10:40
Wow! Do cheques still exist? I thought these were phased out years ago. How would you receive them, carrier pigeon?

FatAndy
26-02-2014, 13:03
Are U.S. checks essentially worthless in Moscow? Are they accepted for any purpose?
Checks??? You mean traveller ones? :jawdrop:

I was thinking they're the terrible heredity of the Cold War :D

frankjohn2
26-02-2014, 13:19

Ok, I am curious ... why would you ask this question?

I sense that it is not the REAL question.

And to answer the question asked. Yes, they are essentially worthless anywhere out of the US (except Canada) as far as I am aware and NO they are not accepted. Now, a cashiers check or bank draft MIGHT (very unlikely) be a different story -- but the question was about checks which generally implies personal or company checks.

So, again OP -- why do you ask?

Benedikt
26-02-2014, 18:22

the chequebook has gone the way with the floppy disks and VHS video tapes. so, to answer your question, no shop,restaurant or any other establishment will accept ANY cheques, never mind American or from any other country.
assuming of course that you are talking about private cheques. but,lets say
you buy an apartment or house or car, big (ger) money also even there the seller will want to see cash, if it is a large and private sell, most probably Euro or $$$ but no cheque.

bydand
26-02-2014, 20:17
I could not even cash (or deposit) a tax return check issued by the US Treasury. Good luck.