PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper

MilkandGin
21-02-2014, 01:22
What's the most popular newspaper in Moscow? (...and most popular in English?) I always thought it was Pravda.ru, and I've been reading it. It's really quite scary ... do Russians actually believe this stuff? Is there a newspaper, preferably also in English, that is more consistent with how Russians really believe?

penka
21-02-2014, 01:40
Geez, man... It's YOU who are scaring me with the Pravda reading!

How Russians really believe? Can you, please, specify, which Russians. Those, who pay taxes, believe one thing, those that party in Courchevel and buy houses in London, surely, believe something else:D

MilkandGin
21-02-2014, 01:51
Haha...

I just thought it was 'the newspaper' to read. I've traditionally read the Moscow Times. I've disagreed with their reporting as often as I've agreed with it - that tells me that its generally fair. But i've heard a lot of Russians claim it's Western propaganda, so I wasn't sure whether it's mainly something read by expats or if it has a traditional Russian following.

I would like to learn to read the same newspapers Russians do so I can get a glimpse of their perspective. I want this to be an educational experience.

In other words, I don't want MSNBC and Fox News to follow me to Moscow. I want to find the NBC Nightly News of the country.

tvadim133
21-02-2014, 08:53
It is difficult to say what Russians read or prefer to read as for newspaper.

To my opinion, top rating of newspapers is more or less following:

1. Komersant;
2. Izvestiya
3. Vedomosty
4. Nezavisimaya Gazeta (Independent)

Pravda? Let' say you have reminded me that it exists still. :)

Judge
21-02-2014, 08:54
For some good balanced news watch Russia Today:D, you can find it online and on the TV..They have some good shows like CrossTalk and they have daily documentaries which sometimes are very informative about Russia..
http://rt.com/news/

FatAndy
21-02-2014, 09:26
There is also Moscow News in Eng... still...http://www.themoscownews.com

Periwinkle
21-02-2014, 10:18
There is also Moscow News in Eng... still...http://www.themoscownews.com

I prefer the Moscow times, they sometimes have good in depth reporting on Russia. It is not what most Russians read though if that is what you are looking for.
The Moscow News has some ok travel pieces and odd bits of trivia but overall is not worth reading, to me anyway.

FatAndy
21-02-2014, 10:54
It is not what most Russians read though
...just because most Russians (including me) don't read newspapers in English at all (most of these most don't know language... good enough)... :)

Periwinkle
21-02-2014, 10:59
...just because most Russians (including me) don't read newspapers in English at all (most of these most don't know language... good enough)... :)

Well yeah, obviously:)

FatAndy
21-02-2014, 10:59
I always thought it was Pravda.ru, and I've been reading it. It's really quite scary ... do Russians actually believe this stuff?
Cool... Did you work for John Sidney McCain IIIrd in US? :suspect:
The last time I read Pravda was ~30 years ago.

MilkandGin
22-02-2014, 01:27
Don't worry. I've seen RT on youtube. I call their "cultural affairs correspondent" the "token gay." ;p

BTW, you Russians should be delighted to know how much faith your government has in the U.S. Postal Service.
"Your visa will be ready on February 25."
"But I leave the 27th."
"That's fine. We mail it to you."
"How are you mailing it?"
"USPS Ground. You'll get it next day."
"Umm, thanks. I think I'll drive the three-and-a-half hours to Houston to pick it up myself."
"We mail all the time. In Texas, one day."
"Thank you, but I've lived in the U.S. for thirty years. Nothing the USPS does gets done in one day unless you pay for overnight shipping. I'll see you in Houston on the 25th."

I could mail an envelop next door via USPS Ground and it would take seven days to get there. Mark my words.

penka
22-02-2014, 01:50
BTW, you Russians should be delighted to know how much faith your government has in the U.S. Postal Service.
"Your visa will be ready on February 25."
"But I leave the 27th."
"That's fine. We mail it to you."
"How are you mailing it?"
"USPS Ground. You'll get it next day."
"Umm, thanks. I think I'll drive the three-and-a-half hours to Houston to pick it up myself."
"We mail all the time. In Texas, one day."
"Thank you, but I've lived in the U.S. for thirty years. Nothing the USPS does gets done in one day unless you pay for overnight shipping. I'll see you in Houston on the 25th."

I could mail an envelop next door via USPS Ground and it would take seven days to get there. Mark my words.

Don't get alarmed. It is just well-aware of the Russian postal service;)

Benedikt
22-02-2014, 07:57
What's the most popular newspaper in Moscow? (...and most popular in English?) I always thought it was Pravda.ru, and I've been reading it. It's really quite scary ... do Russians actually believe this stuff? Is there a newspaper, preferably also in English, that is more consistent with how Russians really believe?

it is the -yellow- press. look at the print numbers of -двои дна- оr -жизн-, fashioned after the Brit rags and the german Bild. As the say, no one admits to read them but they know all the news and scandals.
Since all of them are free on the www i don't bother to buy ANY newspaper,
Though i check the MT every day,also the MN in english language.But having Google Chrome, it basically does not matter what i read, since he will translate when prompted and needed, everything into english language. sometimes with hilarious results but still readable.

FatAndy
22-02-2014, 12:44
Don't worry. I've seen RT on youtube. I call their "cultural affairs correspondent" the "token gay." ;p.
It's plenty of them on such positions, nothing new.

Should we? :)
I can't speak from all of Russians, but myself sincerely don't care - about govt, their faith to smth and, moreover, about USPS.
I think they just use cheapest delivery.

MilkandGin
23-02-2014, 20:25
FatAndy - your cheerful disposition never ceases to amaze me ;P

WhiteLight
23-02-2014, 20:30
The present-day Russian society is highly fragmented, unequal and alienated (as well as ill, weak, unhealthy, morally and physically downgraded). The same applies to corrupted local mass media. Enjoy!

Alan65
23-02-2014, 20:59

Try the Russian equivalent of hello

vossy7
24-02-2014, 00:36
Try the Russian equivalent of hello

WTF do you know about anything Russian?

Alan65
24-02-2014, 01:32
WTF do you know about anything Russian?

Well they just spunked $50bn on the Olympics and lost the Ukraine....also they have lovely drug called Krokodile and one of the highest percentages of smak users in the world....

FatAndy
24-02-2014, 10:35
Well they just spunked $50bn on the Olympics
Well, as I said many times, it's better to envy in silence ;)

and lost the Ukraine...
Using "krokodile", don't you convert to giraffe? It has happened in 1991;). But the game continues...

rusmeister
24-02-2014, 13:27
Haha...

I just thought it was 'the newspaper' to read. I've traditionally read the Moscow Times. I've disagreed with their reporting as often as I've agreed with it - that tells me that its generally fair. But i've heard a lot of Russians claim it's Western propaganda, so I wasn't sure whether it's mainly something read by expats or if it has a traditional Russian following.

I would like to learn to read the same newspapers Russians do so I can get a glimpse of their perspective. I want this to be an educational experience.

In other words, I don't want MSNBC and Fox News to follow me to Moscow. I want to find the NBC Nightly News of the country.
The perspective you will get is that of the owners of the paper. You will certainly not get anything that disagrees with the editorial slant.

There are any number of things that the MT is not at all "fair" on, from global trade issues to Russian cultural values. They print what the owners want us to think. If you want to know what the average Russian believes you have to get to know the average Russian. You have to "Russify". Live here, marry here, raise kids here, and you'll eventually learn what the circles around you really think.

But don't go thinking you can fly in here for a few months or even a year, and get the attitudes of the many from a press owned by a few.

VicY
24-02-2014, 14:42

Man, does it still exist?!! Pravda, I mean? :9456:

Why is it scary and what is it that you think one would find hard to believe in?
Sorry, I don't read this newspaper, so I have no clue what you were talking about :)