PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where to buy quorn in Moscow?

vossy7
17-02-2014, 10:28
We have some guests flying in this weekend and both are strict vegetarians anyone know where I may buy quorn in Moscow....thank you in anticipation....

FatAndy
17-02-2014, 10:44
We have some guests flying in this weekend and both are strict vegetarians anyone know where I may buy quorn in Moscow....thank you in anticipation....
Bro, please, for the future - attach a picture for non-native speakers ;) Neither translate.ru nor slovari.yandex knows the word. Buy them a cabbage. ;)

vossy7
17-02-2014, 11:01
Bro, please, for the future - attach a picture for non-native speakers ;) Neither translate.ru nor slovari.yandex knows the word. Buy them a cabbage. ;)

Cheers Andy, http://www.quorn.co.uk/faqs/ , I actually hate the stuff and have heard conflicting news about it.
Our quests use it in everything e.g. Quorn stroganoff .......for sure the pickle jars will be coming up from the cellar and lots of cabbage......I'll be having a nice fat juicy steak:)

Periwinkle
17-02-2014, 11:04
Pasta primavera, veggie stir fry,beans on toast, omlets etc. I am not vegetarian but there are lots of options. Oh and soups:lick:

FatAndy
17-02-2014, 11:10
Cheers Andy, http://www.quorn.co.uk/faqs/ , I actually hate the stuff and have heard conflicting news about it.
Our quests use it in everything e.g. Quorn stroganoff .......for sure the pickle jars will be coming up from the cellar and lots of cabbage......I'll be having a nice fat juicy steak:)
Mycoprotein... means from mushrooms? Buy them dry mushrooms in nearest Perekrestok... Экопродукт or smth alike is the manufacturer, I may recommend Грибы белые сушеные (dried white mushrooms) or Грибы ассорти сушеные (dried assorted mushrooms).
They also have mushrooms in marenade, going just perfect with vodka.... or buy tofu and other soy protein based products.

penka
17-02-2014, 11:20
All pulses fly high with vegetarians. And they are high on protein, too.

Quorn I've seen in the frozen form in Sthlm, maybe worth checking out well-sorted grocery stores, like Azbuka.

vossy7
17-02-2014, 11:28
All pulses fly high with vegetarians. And they are high on protein, too.

Quorn I've seen in the frozen form in Sthlm, maybe worth checking out well-sorted grocery stores, like Azbuka.

I adore pulses..........jet propelled the next day:groan:

Sana
17-02-2014, 11:35
There is no place in Moscow you can buy Quorn. I ordered different types last year from the UK, RichardB announced about goodies from the UK. Many asked him for different things, So I did enjoy that , very very tasty, if anyone is going to the UK, please let me know and I will order a few types, if they don't mind.

Benedikt
17-02-2014, 12:40

About 640,000 results (0.28 seconds)

so i just typed the word -quorn- into search and got the above result!!!!!
and WIKi was right on top with an explanation.

and reading through the WIKI article i came to the conclusion that dry soy ( available in many stores as flakes, cubes and -stroganoff-) will be a perfect replacement.
i think since Quorn includes also egg albumen as binder, it is not being accepted as -vegetarian- by many.
on top of it -non meat- meat has as yet to take off in Moscow/Russia, don't think there will be a viable market for that -mushroom- (it is not!) product....and therefore i doubt it will be somewhere in a store around here.

Russian Lad
17-02-2014, 15:11
Bro, please, for the future - attach a picture for non-native speakers Neither translate.ru nor slovari.yandex knows the word.

Next time try multitran.ru, bro.:)

FatAndy
17-02-2014, 15:21
Next time try multitran.ru, bro.:)
:agree: Thank you, bro...

molly picon
17-02-2014, 18:26
Your only hope is that big vegetarian restaurant, Jagannath. They don't stock much which Westerners use as meat substitutes (I bring my TVP from the U.S.) but they do have some vegetarian meatballs.

FatAndy
17-02-2014, 18:32
Your only hope is that big vegetarian restaurant, Jagannath.
That on Kuznetsky? They have a very cheap prices for the central location, but I'd be careful... ;)

robertmf
17-02-2014, 19:48

Quorn seems to be a 'fungus food' like mushroom. I guess you can mold it into anything - like tofu

Quorn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

penka
17-02-2014, 19:53
Quorn seems to be a 'fungus food' like mushroom. I guess you can mold it into anything - like tofu

Quorn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorn)

Yes, it some sort of fungus protein which they add various chemicals to turn it into chicken and all other distinguishable proteins.

I've never understood one thing: If one decides to abstain from the animal food, why is one so eager to find some alike-tasting substitutes?

robertmf
17-02-2014, 20:01
Yes, it some sort of fungus protein which they add various chemicals to turn it into chicken and all other distinguishable proteins.

I've never understood one thing: If one decides to abstain from the animal food, why is one so eager to find some alike-tasting substitutes?

The subconscious brain is appalled at the thought of becoming a rabbit or cow :evilgrin:

vossy7
18-02-2014, 07:01
:agree: Thank you, bro...

There appears to be a lot of bros turning up here.....
TOPPOP: Bros - When Will I Be Famous - YouTube

robertmf
18-02-2014, 07:51
There appears to be a lot of bros turning up here.....

:10475: White boys can't be bros

vossy7
18-02-2014, 08:34

Present company excepted of course:rasta:

FatAndy
18-02-2014, 10:03
In RF it is called bratello, bro is just nearest Eng equivalent. White or not, doesn't matter, I hate them all in equal degree, and you know it ;)