PDA

View Full Version : Friday Wisdom

Random
20-02-2004, 11:49
The tribal wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that, "When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."

However, in many companies today, more advanced strategies are often employed, such as:

1. Buying a stronger whip.

2. Changing riders.

3. Appointing a committee to study the horse.

4. Arranging to visit other countries to see how other cultures ride horses.

5. Lowering the standards so that dead horses can be included.

6. Reclassifying the dead horse as living-impaired.

7. Hiring outside contractors to ride the dead horse.

8. Harnessing several dead horses together to increase speed.

9. Providing additional funding and/or training to increase dead horse's performance.

10. Doing a productivity study to see if lighter riders would improve the dead horse's performance.

11. Declaring that as the dead horse does not have to be fed, it is less costly, carries lower overhead and therefore contributes substantially more to the bottom line of the economy than do some other horses.

12. Rewriting the expected performance requirements for all horses.

And of course the ever favorite..........

13. Promoting the dead horse to a supervisory position.

allice
20-02-2004, 11:58
Bravo/

moscowmail
20-02-2004, 12:05
Do you know why often real idiots are in top positions?

Well, imagine the following:

A guy joins a company who is stupid, but may have connections in the company. His direct line manager wants to get rid of him, but can't really, we know why. So he promotes him to anohter department, then the same thing happens again and again....

All of a sudden what a great CV this guy has, he must be good, headhunters jump out of the woodwork etc, well you can imagine the rest.......

Just my little addage :) yep I am that idiot :) sorta :)

allice
20-02-2004, 12:08
Unfortunately, sounds only too familiar.

J.D.
20-02-2004, 12:42
Two microbes in horse's blood system were happily traveling down a main artery when they came to a junction. The first one said "Hey, lets take this blood vessel to the right." So they did and few minutes later a they came across a white blood cell which immediately ate them.

The moral?
Don't change streams in mid-horse.

Fa-Q!
20-02-2004, 12:55
Random, who are the Dakota Indians? Lakota, Dakota, Nakota Sioux maybe?

moscowmail
20-02-2004, 12:57
The Dakota indians, respect guys!!! Big Howard is de mannnn

JD, pretty funny .. :)

vanross
20-02-2004, 14:14
There is another strategy:
13. Naming the dead horse "Employee of the Month"

or:

14. Nominating the dead horse for President's Circle.

Random
20-02-2004, 14:23
FA-Q "Random, who are the Dakota Indians? Lakota, Dakota, Nakota Sioux maybe?"

I miss something ?? or you answer your own question ?

rosieredwood
20-02-2004, 17:35
Originally posted by moscowmail
Do you know why often real idiots are in top positions?

Well, imagine the following:

A guy joins a company who is stupid, but may have connections in the company. His direct line manager wants to get rid of him, but can't really, we know why. So he promotes him to anohter department, then the same thing happens again and again....

All of a sudden what a great CV this guy has, he must be good, headhunters jump out of the woodwork etc, well you can imagine the rest.......

Just my little addage :) yep I am that idiot :) sorta :)

I don't understand - is it the company that's stupid :)

Ghost
20-02-2004, 19:18
The Peter Principle.

People rise to the level of their incompetance. Think about it. If you do a good job, people think you are ready for the next level. So they promote you. This goes on until eventually you are promoted to a position you cannot do well. Then you are left there, because it is much harder to demote/fire someone rather than just let them flounder for a while.

So people rise to the level of that which they cannot do. Explains half the bosses I've had.

-Ghost

Tulrin
20-02-2004, 23:43
Originally posted by Ghost
The Peter Principle.

People rise to the level of their incompetance. Think about it. If you do a good job, people think you are ready for the next level. So they promote you. This goes on until eventually you are promoted to a position you cannot do well. Then you are left there, because it is much harder to demote/fire someone rather than just let them flounder for a while.

So people rise to the level of that which they cannot do. Explains half the bosses I've had.

-Ghost

Yes but that assumes that they once did SOMETHING well enough to get promoted. The question is what was that something?

If you want to avoid these types of things stay with small companies. It is much harder to hide incompetence so you are less likely to get saddled with a career @ss kisser.

Ghost
21-02-2004, 00:05
You're missing the point. The Peter Principle doesn't claim these people are good for nothing, it just says they rise to the level at which they can no longer perform satisfactorily. Ie, they get promoted finally to some level they're not qualified for, and then sit there.

Tulrin
21-02-2004, 00:44
Originally posted by Ghost
You're missing the point. The Peter Principle doesn't claim these people are good for nothing, it just says they rise to the level at which they can no longer perform satisfactorily. Ie, they get promoted finally to some level they're not qualified for, and then sit there.

Honestly I did not miss the point. I am familiar with the Peter Principle.

There is, unfortunately, a certain breed of individual who is able to go beyond the Peter Principle and continue to float upwards to even higher and higher levels of incompetence. They are not even good at politics. They are more like one of those bugs that skates along the surface of the water, avoiding being eaten by fish, leaving no mark and seem able to go where they please. Well I guess their talent is corporate survival.... so I suppose the Peter Principle is not countered by their existence.

Ghost
21-02-2004, 02:53
Isn't there a codicil of the Peter Principle that allows for this to? Because it is so inconvenient to demote or fire someone, people often get promoted beyond this level of incompetance in order to get them out of the way of particular managers or departments. Almost to the point where they get "honorary positions" which have salaries. This, in turn, allows them to finally get "let go to pursue other interests" - which explains why so many officers are found skimming the surfaces of high management for 6-8 months before being once again let go with massive severance packages.

J.D.
21-02-2004, 05:18
Its much more simple in the US. You just sue the guy who sold you the horse. If that fails then you sue the lawyer who represented you because he did a bad job.

DaveUKagain
21-02-2004, 12:45
Hmmmmm... Peter Principle. ;-)

I reckon Len and Ghost have a good point, there. ;) I tend to think it`s all to do with being "beloved of God" - there are some people who look shiny enough, spew out all the right soundbites and lose nicely at golf - lo behold, they`re given a corporate halo and some kind of mythological status and can Do No Wrong. Because if they do, the person who hired `em is wrong, too. So they`re right by default. ;-)))))) Seen it happen many times before. ;-))))

Used to work in engineering, and two of the little creeps who used to suck up to one of the managers had a game of golf with him one day. Well, they do things like that. ;-)))) The manager sliced his stroke and hit the ball eight feet........ tell you, it took REAL skill for the other two little slimy buggers to - wooo, surprise, mess up their shots too and knock the ball for an even lesser distance than eight foot......... ;-)))))))