PDA

View Full Version : A private 2nd folder for Teachers??

Bels
08-01-2008, 14:43
It has been discussed to me several times either by pm or on some posts recently about teachers desire to have their own space. That is a place where teachers can discuss teaching methods, employment and other matters without interruption from others.

I personally like this folder the way it is, it's unique and sometimes fun.Although I have suggested that we become strict on particular serious threads.

Just another idea, how about a second Teachers folder with an extra password f or teacher members only. Of course the decision will be upto the administraters and if they are capable of doing it.

But for now, I would like to hear the response. What do you think teachers?

Philippa
08-01-2008, 15:14
It sounds like a good idea, although I don't know how difficult it would be to implement. How would the teachers prove they were teachers?

Maybe making sure there are no hijacks in the teaching folder would be a more workable solution, I understand teachers' desire to have their own space but with all that knowledge it would be really helpful for new teachers to Moscow to be able to have access to the folder, it would be a shame for it to have closed doors.

Bels
08-01-2008, 15:26
I wouldn't expect 100% security, and all new teachers would be welcome. There wouldn't be strict entry requirements. We will still keep this very useful open folder, but there are certain matters that some teachers have requested to be discussed between themselves. I'm simply carrying through recent requests from two teachers so far.

Bels
08-01-2008, 15:38
It sounds like a good idea, although I don't know how difficult it would be to implement. How would the teachers prove they were teachers?

Maybe making sure there are no hijacks in the teaching folder would be a more workable solution, I understand teachers' desire to have their own space but with all that knowledge it would be really helpful for new teachers to Moscow to be able to have access to the folder, it would be a shame for it to have closed doors.

In answer to your third paragraph, teachers would simply state who they are, where they are employed ,if employed. etc.

This information would obviously be confidential to expat staff. Or simply those fom UK,USA, Canada etc who are interested in becoming teachers can join also. Perhaps they could sign a declaration to keep on topic for example, and if they don't they will be removed.

Anything info that's useful to the first Teacher's forum will be passed on.

Philippa
08-01-2008, 16:16
Sounds good! Maybe set up a file sharing option too so that material could be shared or passed around.

Bels
08-01-2008, 16:26
Yes. and hopefully many more teachers are going to participate in this thread with their views and ideas. Especially the recent two have suggested the idea to me.

How about it, Th&VK. I won't mention the others name as it was a pm. But I suggest he also comes forward as he asked, as I'm doing it for him.

th&vk
09-01-2008, 00:41
Yes. and hopefully many more teachers are going to participate in this thread with their views and ideas. Especially the recent two have suggested the idea to me.

How about it, Th&VK. I won't mention the others name as it was a pm. But I suggest he also comes forward as he asked, as I'm doing it for him.

Yup, I'm one of those who felt we should have a separate teachers only location -- but mostly because some of the discussions have gotten a bit tetchy -- not really the image I'd like to convey to prospective students ...

my other concern was helping students find us ...
I'm wondering if the administrators would be willing to create a sub-folder in Lessons perhaps that would be specifically for students looking for teachers (as opposed to teachers looking for students)

Or maybe rename this folder Language Teaching, and it could include the Directory, plus invite students to post their "teacher wanted" ads, plus be a place for Bels's cool quizzes, etc. AND then have a separate folder that was Teacher's Discussion that had some password or membership -- but very inclusive -- the issue being less who participates but in what spirit (no hijacking, etc.)

As I said, my main concern is helping students 1) find a teacher and 2) avoid getting sucked into our little squabbles and airing of dirty laundry or even our very legitimate discussions about how much to charge for lessons, etc.

And Phillipa (did I spell that right? sorry if not) -- I love your idea of file sharing ...

When I taught in China I benefitted so much from a Yahoo Group for teachers in China ... it was a true lifeline ... I guess I have that in mind ...

Will
19-02-2008, 21:05
I am a teacher, honest. I even known the secret handshake.
If you guys are accepting members, I'd like to be a part of it.
I been here ten years, have an insane amount of materials etc.
If the admins here don't sort it, you know it's the work of ten minutes to set up a phbb free forum, and then you could link likely parties to it via pm if secrecy remains an issue.
Or maybe you got your secret forum already, eek, can I scratch at the window plaintively?

Bels
19-02-2008, 22:16
I am a teacher, honest. I even known the secret handshake.
If you guys are accepting members, I'd like to be a part of it.
I been here ten years, have an insane amount of materials etc.
If the admins here don't sort it, you know it's the work of ten minutes to set up a phbb free forum, and then you could link likely parties to it via pm if secrecy remains an issue.
Or maybe you got your secret forum already, eek, can I scratch at the window plaintively?

There are many of these phpp forums, I am already trying one for paractice for the purpose of getting my own later.

The fact is though, expat.ru can be fast moving, even ithe teachers section, at certain periods of the year. It's also established over many years and we can safely say it will be here in the future. This incomparison to one night wonders of teachers in Russia making their own forums, only for many of them to disappear back home or to another country.

Do you realise how much turnover of teachers there has been over the past four years I've been here, you all disappear every year. Does anyone here remember for example Paul32, as I miss this guy here and unfortunately he was with the British council, and had to go. With a smile of course, a redundancy payment and a position with the British Council in Sunny Spain.

To summarise, there already has been attempts to make forums for teachers and expat.ru supported such a forum. But it died. Why? just my opiion is because teachers often don't last out more than a year here, A separate teachers simply won't last here unless there is good management on continiously updating the moderator membership every six months for example. Of course you must have a good sized membership in the first place. Expat.ru will be still here as teachers come and go.

Paul32 where are you ? You said you would look at this site now and again from Spain.

Bels
19-02-2008, 22:37
Yup, I'm one of those who felt we should have a separate teachers only location -- but mostly because some of the discussions have gotten a bit tetchy -- not really the image I'd like to convey to prospective students ...

my other concern was helping students find us ...
I'm wondering if the administrators would be willing to create a sub-folder in Lessons perhaps that would be specifically for students looking for teachers (as opposed to teachers looking for students)

Or maybe rename this folder Language Teaching, and it could include the Directory, plus invite students to post their "teacher wanted" ads, plus be a place for Bels's cool quizzes, etc. AND then have a separate folder that was Teacher's Discussion that had some password or membership -- but very inclusive -- the issue being less who participates but in what spirit (no hijacking, etc.)

As I said, my main concern is helping students 1) find a teacher and 2) avoid getting sucked into our little squabbles and airing of dirty laundry or even our very legitimate discussions about how much to charge for lessons, etc.

And Phillipa (did I spell that right? sorry if not) -- I love your idea of file sharing ...

When I taught in China I benefitted so much from a Yahoo Group for teachers in China ... it was a true lifeline ... I guess I have that in mind ...

Reading the date of when you started her, I don't think you will be aware of why this folder was created by expat.ru. It was created to prevent us teachers airing our views wrongly in the lessons sections.

There was a lapse, a quieteness in expat.ru. I can't remember why, but many easons and then I re-opened it. It's a place for teachers to freely air their veiws and moans about other shools etc. Admin was fed-up of teachers making their complaints heard in the lessons section.

I simply just tried to tidy up the folder somehow.

My suggestions. leave this folder as the relaxed teachers folder as it was intended by admin. A place where teachers can air their veiws in any way they wish.

I also suggest another teachers folder to be opened, and I suggest that you control it, I don't think you need to have the status of admin, as it's not necessary but go for it. ANd then you control this folder the way you think it should be run.

I'm sorry but for various reasons I have not been around developing here on this folder as I normally have been. I also have greater work burdons at home, and work
But I will try to give more time.