PDA

View Full Version : Prescriptions . . . is it true?

MissAnnElk
08-01-2008, 10:54
One or another of my Moscow guidebooks claims that prescriptions are not required in pharmacies. Is that true?

Further, I thought I saw on this forum a discussion about cholesterol controlling drugs . . . that the brand Lipitor does not exist. I take a Czech generic, not Lipitor. Anyone else take something like that? Do you think I can find something here? Or must I go see a doc first and get a Rx for something else?

Ah, the trials of middle age . . .

TD
08-01-2008, 16:49
it may be that certain drugs can be purchased here without a prescription, but certainly not ALL of them

for instance you might be able to get Valium over the counter, but not morphine

as regards what you are specifically looking for - do you know what the actual name of the drug is (not the brand name)? I would be happy to do a search on the russian search engines for you. I suspect something of that sort might very well be available without a prescription.

Miracle77777
08-01-2008, 16:55
Yes.....very often for some types of medicine you need no prescription....
Honestly I do think - for Russians it is really a Great relief - you simply could not imagine our enourmous blocks in waiting for doctor!!!!!
But for secure, I would advice you to get a doctor's consultation before buying smth here.....besides, pay attention to Pharmacy where you will buy it...not all of them are good....
Good Luck ^-*

J.D.
08-01-2008, 17:05
Fewer drugs need perscriptions here. I believe that generally only 'mind altering' drugs need perscriptions. So antibiotics and some sedatives don't require a perscription. Also some pharmacies just don't bother to check if you have a perscription.

msbella
08-01-2008, 17:05
I myself have self-prescribed several drugs (antibiotics, anti-histamines, corticosteroids, glycine, anti-inflammatories, spasmolytics) and gotten them over the counter easily without much questions asked. Several times my doctor wrote me "prescriptions" on a measly "used" paper, and it can even pass off as a prescription in the pharmacy. How bizzare is that!

In my country, drugs are not easily obtained over the counter. We need proper prescriptions and even have to produce valid identities to purchase these drugs.

MissAnnElk
08-01-2008, 19:55
it may be that certain drugs can be purchased here without a prescription, but certainly not ALL of them

for instance you might be able to get Valium over the counter, but not morphine

as regards what you are specifically looking for - do you know what the actual name of the drug is (not the brand name)? I would be happy to do a search on the russian search engines for you. I suspect something of that sort might very well be available without a prescription.

What I have is called Torvacard 20. Produced by a company called Zentiva.

Thanks to all who responded. Very kind . . .

TD
08-01-2008, 21:58
ok here it is:

the name is ТОРВАКАРД in Russian
the drug's real name is АТОРВАСТАТИН (ATORVASTATIN)

and here's a picture of it as well below... I would suggest printing this picture and just taking it to the local pharmacy - 36/6 seems to be one of the better ones in town and they have a million branches all over

Miracle77777
08-01-2008, 22:04
I would suggest printing this picture and just taking it to the local pharmacy - 36/6 seems to be one of the better ones in town and they have a million branches all over

And they do have a kind of tips - little percent of discounts if you use some type of cards.......:lovepot:

Anonim
09-01-2008, 11:28
Lipitor in Russia and Europe is called Liprimar. Torvacard is the Czech generic and it is probably just as good. Both are atorvastatin.

nishoe
09-01-2008, 23:04
Hi,
There are 2 reputable companies that sell atorvastatin in Russia.
1. Тулип (Sandoz)
2. Липримар (Pfizer)
Both have 20mg which is also the dose you are taking.
Both the images I have attached are of 10mg, though.
The product details of the two drugs are on:

Липримар. Фото Липримар - farmshop.ru - Пегасис, Видекс, Нейпоген, Серетид. (http://www.farma-shop.ru/index.php?PHPSESSID=ea6b415ef75ce91f821680fc5eb228d7&sessphp=on&none=none&id1=1&id2=1&find_str=%CB%E8%EF%F0%E8%EC%E0%F0&prepshow=04555)
Lek - International Pharmaceutical Group | Препараты (http://www.lekpharma.ru/catalogue/?gid=7&wid=86)

I am sorry I have no clue where you can buy them though.
Good luck.

http://www.lmispb.ru/images/products/lek/26.jpg
http://www.apteka-nazdorovie.ru/images/spr/10141.jpg

MissAnnElk
11-01-2008, 09:37
Thank you SOOOOO much! Wow!

I hope someday I can pay this forward to a newbie.

I have been having a successful week here, and this is one more thing to check off in the GOOD THINGS column.

:hooray:

bashworth
11-01-2008, 16:25
I am sorry I have no clue where you can buy them though.
Good luck.

You can use this site to search drugstores:
Search drugs in Moscow drugstores (http://www.medlux.ru/)

Just type in the Russian name in Cyrillic and it will give you a list of places that carry it and what their stock was as of a certain date (although that part isn't always true – sometimes they sell out before you get there).

Anonim
13-01-2008, 16:08
just one thing - if you're taking 20 mgs every day pls make sure to get the liver function test at regular intervals (not sure what its called but invitro in Moscow should handle it). that is a hefty dose - i take 10 mgs/day myself.

MissAnnElk
14-01-2008, 17:59
I was having blood work done about every 4-6 months in Bratislava just to get the Rx refilled. But good point: with no Rx needed, I have to take responsibility for getting that done.

I was at the GYN every 6 months there (I went to Vienna . . . it's just how often they ask to see old women like me) . . . so I should tie the liver stuff to that check up, at least on the calendar.

Now if I can find my glasses so I can find the calendar and write it down . . .