PDA

View Full Version : Admin: Please consider opening a Kola Peninsula forum

Uncle Pasha
03-02-2014, 12:38
If you do I'll associate it with my www.kandalaksha.su project and try to make it active.

robertmf
03-02-2014, 17:48
If you do I'll associate it with my www.kandalaksha.su project and try to make it active.

Perhaps the project is better suited for facebook ?

Uncle Pasha
03-02-2014, 17:56
I don't like Facebook. OK, I may as well publictly confess that I don't understand the point of these "social networks" and what little I do understand I don't like.

Further, I did a survey of facebook/vk users. When pressed they admitted that they got no business or useful contact or any other real utility from the system. Yet they keep on urging others to join. I detect a bit of a MLM air.

AstarD
03-02-2014, 18:02
You'll get a much wider readership if you join Facebook and create a page there. Most people already have a FB account, and if they search for information about Kola peninsula or tourist opportunities in Russia, they're much more likely to click "like" on your FB page than to register at expat.ru.

Uncle Pasha
03-02-2014, 18:35
Thank you for a well-meaning advice. I've tried that. Been on Facebook for a year. Lots of spam. At times a torrent of spam with all these nonsense "friend" requests as if people can't just e-mail. Deleted the account because it was nothing but one continuous annoyance. Also tried Twitter, also failed to see the point. In the project that I do for money I've added vkontakte on client's request, and tolerate this %%% vk because my job is to do what I'm told. A bit of an administrative headache for me, and not one meaningful enquiry for the project. No one yet gave me a clear answer about the advantage of these social networks over e-mail, sites, and bbs's and all these things that were around 20 years ago. It is shear marketing and an attempt to steal the only thing we have: time and attention. Please don't advise these networks to me. The mere thought causes agitation attacks. OK, livejournal or what's its face makes intuitive sense to me or, rather, would, if not aggressive flashing adverts. For years things have been working just fine with several sites, expact.ru among them. I hung around forums and got an occasional piece of business while recommending these 5-6 resources via my own sites. All worked well till about 5-7 years ago. The whole system has somehow changed and did that fast.

AstarD
03-02-2014, 18:40
Alright. I use Facebook for catching up with friends from long ago and making the occasional new friend. Also, there are some groups, such as Moscow Expats, that I find useful and am able to give helpful information in. Other than that, of course I also get spam letters (I can easily delete them) and there are the adverts on the right side of the page, but it's a free site. If you don't want to see adverts, I don't know where you plan to conduct your business, honestly.

okiey
03-02-2014, 19:14
Regarding Facebook I've never encountered problems with spam, unlike my email accounts.

For 4Q13 FB generated revenues of $2.6 bln, from advertising; so, obviously it does work for others.

One of my cousins set up a small business and he uses FB, as one of several mechanisms, to market it and find clients.

Uncle Pasha
03-02-2014, 19:19
Alright. I use Facebook for catching up with friends from long ago and making the occasional new friend.

- Exactly what I passionately hated about the system. I don't want to be reminded even of good old contacts when I'm in the middle of something. These notices burst in most aggressively. They were the greatest single irritant. Old friends can easily look up my name and e-mail or even s-mail without the intermediacy of these network monstrocieits. I don't necessarily want to be reminded of certain contacts or key events in my life.

Also, there are some groups, such as Moscow Expats, that I find useful and am able to give helpful information in. Other than that, of course I also get spam letters (I can easily delete them)

- Simple straight-forward spam is easy to deal with. What I find profoundly inappropriate are these "suggestions" that I add someone from a long ago to friends.

and there are the adverts on the right side of the page, but it's a free site. If you don't want to see adverts, I don't know where you plan to conduct your business, honestly.

- In the better days there was an option to pay 20 bucks a year for no ads. And the ads where not flashy they way they are now.

Uncle Pasha
03-02-2014, 19:33
"One of my cousins set up a small business and he uses FB, as one of several mechanisms, to market it and find clients."

- A link please. I'd like to see/study a real case of facebook working. My understanding is one needs to live in it (_сидеть_ в фейсбуке/вк). Not something that thrills me either.

AstarD
03-02-2014, 19:40
Perhaps you should chat with some of the local businessmen who are using Facebook for advertsing.

robertmf
03-02-2014, 19:49
"One of my cousins set up a small business and he uses FB, as one of several mechanisms, to market it and find clients."

- A link please. I'd like to see/study a real case of facebook working. My understanding is one needs to live in it (_сидеть_ в фейсбуке/вк). Not something that thrills me either.

facebook and VK are another low-cost method of marketing "getting your word around". Exposure

On the website, changing content often will increase your SEO ranking

okiey
03-02-2014, 19:54

https://www.facebook.com/mynutritionireland/photos_stream

BabyFirefly
03-02-2014, 20:51
I also suggest Facebook. You will be able to reach a much wider audience, create photo albums and such... search for "Natasha from Russia" on FB (she has a whole lot of followers, sometimes promotes stuff), and I've seen other businesses basically grow entirely out of Facebook.

okiey
03-02-2014, 20:54
https://www.facebook.com/mynutritionireland/photos_stream

This one is better:

https://www.facebook.com/mynutritionireland