PDA

View Full Version : The common comma!!!!!

vossy7
02-02-2014, 00:51
I have been informed by a certain English major, not English but a Russian linguistic expert that my use of the common comma leaves a lot to be desired so I hereby rest my case with the following minor task .......if she or he may, as the case may be, help me to add a simple punctuation mark/s in this sentence to make it linguistically correct.....
"it was and I said not but"
:11581:

vossy7
02-02-2014, 01:11
I have been informed by a certain English major, not English but a Russian linguistic expert that my use of the common comma leaves a lot to be desired so I hereby rest my case with the following minor task .......if she or he may, as the case may be, help me to add a simple punctuation mark/s in this sentence to make it linguistically correct.....

So I see some thanks but no suggestions as to where to place a punctuation mark , we have just opened our third bottle of Merlot??????

penka
02-02-2014, 01:50
So I see some thanks but no suggestions as to where to place a punctuation mark , we have just opened our third bottle of Merlot??????

Three bottles of wine, split between two people and you are under the table already???

C'mon, man!

vossy7
02-02-2014, 01:55
Three bottles of wine, split between two people and you are under the table already???

C'mon, man!

I'm above , she's below!

penka
02-02-2014, 01:57
I'm above , she's below!

That's the man's talk!:D

vossy7
02-02-2014, 01:58
That's the man's talk!:D

We have a duplex, I'm in the dog house:o

Russian Lad
02-02-2014, 02:01
it was and I said not but

I bet we would need more context to help you with commas in this inebriate mumbo-jumbo of yours.:) Tentatively, "it was, and I said not but".:)

vossy7
02-02-2014, 02:03
I bet we would need more context to help you with commas in this inebriate mumbo-jumbo of yours.:) Tentatively, "it was, and I said not but".:)

RL , nice try but not correct , try again.........

penka
02-02-2014, 02:08
We have a duplex, I'm in the dog house:o

FFS.

vossy7
02-02-2014, 02:11
FFS.

Penka , really , how could you:beerbros:

tonytony
02-02-2014, 02:13

It largely depends on what follows ''but'' and precedes ''it''

It could be that you've got two separate clauses in which case it is usual to have a comma before the ''and''. Although, since they are short clauses it is also equally ok to omit the comma.

Alternatively, you have a phrase that is essentially in brackets, explaining something extra, within the clause.

vossy7
02-02-2014, 02:21
It largely depends on what follows ''but'' and precedes ''it''

It could be that you've got two separate clauses in which case it is usual to have a comma before the ''and''. Although, since they are short clauses it is also equally ok to omit the comma.

Alternatively, you have a phrase that is essentially in brackets, explaining something extra, within the clause.
TT mate there is nothing complex here .......the addition of one simple comma will make this sentence correct!

Russian Lad
02-02-2014, 02:33
Ok, another guess:

it was and I said, not but - like in "it was "and" I said, not "but".

Still, a lot depends on the context in which it was used.:) Share the context with us, be a molodets.:)

vossy7
02-02-2014, 02:39
Ok, another guess:

- like in "it was "and" I said, not "but".

Still, a lot depends on the context in which it was used.:) Share the context with us, be a molodets.:)

OK ......it is very simple...."it was and I said, not but"

Russian Lad
02-02-2014, 02:41
OK ......it is very simple...."it was and I said, not but"

Well, that's what I meant, do I win a prize?:)

vossy7
02-02-2014, 02:43
Well, that's what I meant, do I win a prize?:)
Yes a big sloppy kiss form me when I meet you:tongue:

TolkoRaz
02-02-2014, 12:07
TT mate there is nothing complex here .......the addition of one simple comma will make this sentence correct!

Simple comma? Have you considered using an intelligent or a complicated comma?

vossy7
02-02-2014, 13:32
Simple comma? Have you considered using an intelligent or a complicated comma?

You trying to make me comma..tose Tolko:10310: