PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between "notarised" and "apostilled"?

Pyotr
06-01-2008, 22:07
I'm just getting my papers in order to apply for Temporary Residence and wanted to clear up these terms.

If my papers are notarised in Australia, that, as I understand, gives them legal status. Could someone explain either, that this is as good as an apostille, or if something further is needed.

What is the difference?

Thanks in advance.

Bels
06-01-2008, 22:18
In the UK we are more likely to call it legalised.
It has to be stamped by a government office, Minisery of Foreign affairs for example.

Lady Marmalade
06-01-2008, 22:27
Papers that need to be notarized can be done at any legal office that handles notarizations. Apostilles are stamps usually done through the consular section at Embassies. They are not the same, so handle each accordingly.

Bels
06-01-2008, 22:33
For example, you need your police check aposriled or legalised. Hopefully an Australian will give this address. It's not necerrily a consular dept. But it will be the one and only office in your country. I can only hlp Brits for specific addresses. We need an Australian who's done it.

Judge
06-01-2008, 22:36
Make sure that your police report is apostilled in OZ and then translated into russian and then notarized in Russia.

Clean32
06-01-2008, 22:41
there is a massive difrence

notarised, i when your signature is witnessed, and thats all it is period

apostille, or to have a document apostilled is to have A goverment comfurm that the document is correct and that the procedure creating that document and the document its self comformst to an international standard.

Convention De ler Hauge 1961, something like that.

now if your asking about apostilleing documents i asume that you intend to get married in russia, so you need your certificate of no impediment, apposeld.

with out thinking to hard i doint think there are any documents for temp res that need apostilleing ??? but doint hold me to that!!

Bels
06-01-2008, 22:42
Sounds about right. Now do you need the address where to get you police check apostiled? or do you have that address. My guess is that the address will be in Australia as judge stated.

Judge
06-01-2008, 22:51
with out thinking to hard i doint think there are any documents for temp res that need apostilleing ??? but doint hold me to that!!The police check needs to be apostilled for temp rez.

Clean32
06-01-2008, 22:54
The police check needs to be apostilled for temp rez.

That may be the case, but it wasint in my case, just translated and notraised no apposle, just had to be on letter head with date and my full name. the intresting bit was it said "no records found" this was not imediatly accepted as no criminal record LOL

Bels
06-01-2008, 23:22
That's all the british police check normally states. And it had to be apostilled or legalised in another office in the UK. It then had to be legally translated from a list provided by OVIR. That's what happened to me, and my residency was received recently. It must be apostilled and it might have been a new law.

Pyotr
08-01-2008, 02:22
Thanks for all of your inputs. My task is to apostille my criminal record document in Australia, so I guess my next step is to find a lawyer there to sort that out long-distance.

Clean32, thanks for pointing out the differences, that notarisation is witnessing a signature and apostilling is having the government confirming the validity of the document.

Bels
08-01-2008, 10:04
Why on earth do you need a lawyer, all you need is the apostil address and send them your police check, and they will return it to you apostiled. You might need a courier service for such a distance, but that's it. If you're already in Australia it would be a lot easier of course.

Bels
08-01-2008, 10:12
Hopefully you find this useful. The Australian Embassy in Portugal, the same applies here.

Apostille - Authentication of foreign public documents

Australia lodged its Instrument of Accession to The Hague Convention abolishing the requirement for Legalisation of Foreign Public Documents on 9 August 1994. Accession came into force for Australia on 16 March 1995. Therefore it is no longer necessary to have the Portuguese authorities authenticate an Australian publicly issued document which has had an Apostille affixed.

The Convention applies to documents which in the past would have been subject to the process of formal legalisation. In other words, having an Apostille simplifies the series of formalities associated with using public documents outside Australia.

Under the Convention an Apostille, which involves the addition of a simple certificate, either stamped by a rubber stamp on the document itself or put on a separate piece of paper firmly attached to the document, assists the Portuguese authorities to rely on the facts set out in the document.

In general, the most common 'public documents' which Australian and foreign nationals who were born or who have lived in Australia are asked to provide to the Portuguese authorities with an Apostille are birth, marriage, death certificates and divorce decrees.

The Australian Embassy in Lisbon does not have an Apostille to affix to Australian publicly issued documents and you are kindly requested to comply with the procedures mentioned below. If you have a relative or friend living in Australia you may wish to forward the document to him/her to arrange and pay for the Apostille in person or by mail at one of the Regional Offices of the Department listed overleaf. He/she may then return the document, with Apostille affixed, to you in Portugal.

The Apostille (certificate/stamp) is in the form of a square with sides at least 9 cms long. The fee for the issue of the Apostille is $A 60.00 (per document) if there is room available to place the stamp either below the signature to be authenticated or on the blank reverse side of a document. If there is insufficient room, however, and the stamp has to be placed on a separate sheet of paper with a seal affixed to the fastening, please add an additional $A 20.00 (per document) to your payment. These fees are payable under the Consular Fees Act 1955.

Mail the original of your document to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in the State or Territory which issued the document. The document should be accompanied by a letter specifically requesting an Apostille. If you do not specifically request an Apostille, another type of authentication may be given in Australia which is not acceptable to the Portuguese authorities.

Print your name and address in Portugal clearly in block letters at the top of the letter. Do not forget to include Portugal as part of your return address. If you have documents issued in different States and Territories of Australia which require Apostilles, you may send them all to one office of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, addresses, telephone and facsimile numbers for which are listed overleaf.

Send the correct amount of money mentioned above, i.e. $A 60 or $A 80 per document. Your document will be returned by ordinary airmail, not by express airmail, nor by registered post. If you need your document urgently, you will need to make your own arrangements with an international courier service.

Payment is to accompany your letter and documents. Regional Offices of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade which accept payment by credit/charge card are noted overleaf. Payment by the credit/charge card facility should be arranged directly with those Offices. Payment to those Regional Offices without credit/charge card facilities may only be made by Australian cheque or international bank cheque made payable in Australian dollars to ‘The Collector of Public Moneys’. Please do not send cash. It is not possible to make bank transfers to accounts in Australia to pay these fees. Apostilles will not be affixed until payment is received by the respective Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Please note that if you do not already have the publicly-issued document, for example a birth or marriage certificate, on which you need to have an Apostille affixed, you will need to obtain one from the appropriate State or Territory Registry of Births, Deaths or Marriages.

Apostille stamps may not be affixed to marriage certificates issued by a marriage celebrant at your marriage. An Apostille stamp may only be affixed to a marriage certificate issued by one of the State or Territory Registering Authorities.

Please note that after issue of a certificate by one of the Registries, the Registries are not responsible for sending the certificate to a Regional Office of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade to affix an Apostille. This may mean you will need to have your certificate mailed back to you in Portugal from the Registry Office and then forward the certificate, together with payment, to the Regional Office of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

If you have further queries, please telephone the Consular and Passports Section, at the Embassy on 21 310 1500 for assistance.

HEAD AND REGIONAL OFFICES OF THE DEPARTMENT OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS AND TRADE

HEAD OFFICE

Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Homepage (http://www.dfat.gov.au)

Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Consular Branch,
R G Casey Building
John McEwen Crescent
Barton ACT 0221 AUSTRALIA

Tel: +61-2-62611111 Fax: +61-2-62612820

NEW SOUTH WALES REGIONAL OFFICE
NSW State Office, Australia - Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (http://www.dfat.gov.au/sydney)
Level 10, Angel Place
123 Pitt Street
Sydney NSW 2000 AUSTRALIA

Tel: +61-2-93566222 Fax: +61-2-93564238

Accepts payment by Bankcard (Australia only), MasterCard, Visa

NORTHERN TERRITORY REGIONAL OFFICE

5th Floor, Northern Territory House
22 Mitchell Street
Darwin NT 0800 AUSTRALIA

Tel: +61-8-89824199 Fax: +61-8-89824155

Accepts payment by Bankcard (Australia only), MasterCard, Visa

QUEENSLAND REGIONAL OFFICE

4th Floor, Commonwealth Government Centre
295 Ann Street
Brisbane QLD 4000 AUSTRALIA

Tel: +61-7-34054799 Fax: +61-7-34054782
SOUTH AUSTRALIAN REGIONAL OFFICE

5th Floor, Commonwealth Centre
55 Currie Street
Adelaide SA 5000 AUSTRALIA

Tel: +61-8-84034899 Fax: +61-8-84034873

Accepts payment by Bankcard (Australia only),
Visa, MasterCard

TASMANIAN REGIONAL OFFICE

4th Floor, 25 Argyle Street
Hobart TAS 7000 AUSTRALIA

Tel: +61-3-62384099 Fax: +61-3-62384022

VICTORIAN REGIONAL OFFICE
Victoria State Office - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (http://www.dfatmelb.gov.au)
Level 14, Casselden Place
2 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne VIC 3000 AUSTRALIA

Tel: +61-3-92215555 Fax: +61-3-92215455

Accepts payment by Bankcard (Australia only), Visa, MasterCard

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN REGIONAL OFFICE

Level 17, Exchange Plaza
Sherwood Court
Perth WA 6000 AUSTRALIA

Tel: +61-8-92314499

Accepts payment by Bankcard (Australia only),
Visa, MasterCard

Disclaimer: This information has been compiled to assist those persons making enquiries about and/or those wishing to have Apostille stamps affixed to Australian publicly-issued documents. Whilst every care has been taken in preparing this information and to ensure its accuracy, the Australian Embassy in Lisbon cannot accept any responsibility for the success or otherwise of your enquiries, nor for any costs involved in them.

Pyotr
18-01-2008, 00:07
Thanks, Bels,

The Federal Police gave me the following reply:

Applications must be posted to us as payment can only be made by cheque/money order.

The first page of the application is to be completed by you. Question 3 Consent to would be Russian Immigration, question 4 Specify Entitlement would be Temporary Visa.

You can obtain an Apostille stamp from Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade.

Thankyou

... so it was very useful to get the actual address for the DFAT office to get the stamp!

kebab
23-01-2008, 18:41
I have been told that criminal convictions after they have been apostiled and then translated and notarized need to be stamped by the Russian interior ministry before you can hand them to the FMS is this true?

Bels
23-01-2008, 19:00
I have been told that criminal convictions after they have been apostiled and then translated and notarized need to be stamped by the Russian interior ministry before you can hand them to the FMS is this true?

I didn't have to do it , and hopefully you won't have to. My wife tried once this place. One big hassle to even enter enter the building, several hours nd only to be told what on earth are you doing here. Unless there are new rules I don't think it's necessary. take your papers and ask ovir staff if their ok.

kebab
23-01-2008, 19:24
Cheers this is what I thought but someone I know is adament that is what they have been told. I'll let you know either way although I won't be there for a few weeks yet.

davilan
26-05-2010, 23:06
An apostle is a seal placed on a document by a government body authorized to do so that means the document is authorized/legal for international use.

In the United States, the State Department or the Department of state for each of the 50 states are authorized bodies. Embassies will NOT put apostles on documents.

In other countries, the equivalent body or ministry will put apostles on documents. I don't know about their embassies.

Notarized documents have the seal of an individual authorized to notarize a document. In Russia, notaries are lawyers with notary licenses who are only allowed to notarize a document in the Russian language as proof that a complete and exact copy of a document has been made. They do not notarize signatures.

In the United States notaries are licensed to document that a document was signed in front of them by the individual named on the document AND/or that copies are complete and true. The consulates and embassies all have persons that will notarize documents in English for American citizens.

I can not speak about other countries but most European countries do follow similar notary laws as the States.

Remember Russia is many years behind the western world in it bureaucratic ways. You don't know what an apostle is because they are rarely used in the west. Apostles allow bureaucrats freedom from having to learn new ways and they overcome concerns of liability from using the wrong, unauthorized docs.

Bogatyr
29-05-2010, 14:09
The police check needs to be apostilled for temp rez.

If you compare the amount of hassle to get a document Apostille'd while still in your native country with the hassle involved in doing it while you're in Russia and applying for TRP, you'll see that it's wise to prepare Apostille's for all relevant documents ahead of time before heading to Russia. I did everything: marriage certificate, university diplomas, birth certificates (both me and my children), of course in addition to the criminal background check. You never know what your particular FMS office will ask for, it's best to be prepared.