PDA

View Full Version : can't open MT (again/once more)

Benedikt
30-01-2014, 05:52
www.themoscowtimes.com

anyone else got issues, like can't open the paper? trying the whole morning already.

Gervais
30-01-2014, 06:31
same here. Seems they "shut down" the whole site when updating.
:yellowcard:

okiey
30-01-2014, 11:00
MT posted on facebook that the website has technical problems, which they are working to resolve.

Hans.KK
30-01-2014, 11:40
same here. Seems they "shut down" the whole site when updating.
:yellowcard:Don't think so, if it was a upgrade then they would had announced it and put up a text to tell people to try again later, and tell what time things would be back to normal.

But we can't count out that it is a planed upgrade that should had no, or little impact, but some thing in cyper space went wrong.

FatAndy
30-01-2014, 12:54
From my office it works. The first article is about next atrocities of bloody regime:

Cable Providers Drop Independent Dozhd TV Amid Pressure

A wave of intense political pressure on opposition-leaning Dozhd television, the country's most prominent privately owned television outlet, resulted Wednesday in at least two cable providers removing it from their packages, while lawmakers have demanded an investigation into content on the channel.

Read more: http://www.themoscowtimes.com/#ixzz2rs0gEHgj
The Moscow Times

AstarD
30-01-2014, 13:09
Benedikt, have you tried another browser? I know you usually use Chrome.

penka
30-01-2014, 13:13
Just tried and it opened just fine - I use Safari.

FatAndy
30-01-2014, 13:43
Another way may appear flushing DNS cache. I'm afraid it wouldn't help Ben as he uses bitten Apple products, but under Windows it may look like command string:
ipconfig /flushdns
Pls note space between g and /

okiey
30-01-2014, 13:52
Its working again on my computer, but it was down in the morning due to technical problems with their server.

Benedikt
30-01-2014, 15:43

but as we know now it was a technical -glitch- at the MT. it is working now, 15.45,ok. might have been earlier already, but this was the first time i checked after the morning -no go-.

rusmeister
30-01-2014, 16:13
It's true. It wasn't accessible this morning, and I was using Safari. Now it's fine.

Benedikt
31-01-2014, 07:40
It's true. It wasn't accessible this morning, and I was using Safari. Now it's fine.

The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again later.

all the rest are opening, ORF radio.mediathek, all other newspapers that i check in the morning. also expat no issues.
it for sure is not the end of the world if/when the MT is not open, i get Russia news faster and more accurate from my Austrian newspapers. but one starts wondering what is happening. they do an upgrade, why not on the weekend, when they are not working anyway. and the disturbances would me not noticed or minimal.
but i do remember it started like that with the Moscow Tribune. Moscow News ( the english language PRINT issue) is being taken off the market.
something brewing in the english language news (paper) market?

rusmeister
31-01-2014, 08:58
The Moscow Times ultimately serves globalist billionaires who effectively own it and all mass media, directly or indirectly. This move to break down all barriers, especially financial ones, but cultural and religious ones as well, have put them on a collision course with the financial, political and cultural interests that, like it or not, dominate in Russia. So they condemn any effort to maintain Russian economic autonomy by sneering at barriers to "free" trade - which really only means the billionaires can move their goods and money across borders without hindrance or responsibility, any effort to censor smut and the insane ideas pouring in from the West that flood the media, and of course, any demand that the traditional religion of Russia that even seventy years of Russian-Lad style of hate couldn't put down, a sneer at all the people who freely choose, accept and maintain that religion.

Heck, a lot of people here reflect that Western desire to make Russia a colony of the West. So the Moscow Times, like most other Western media, sets itself up against Russian interests. While pretending and claiming to love Russia, they want to see it become another minor country that we global citizens of the New Roman Empire, can trod over at will and change what we like to suit us, rather than admire an independent country because it is NOT our country, respecting it as an equal, yet different thing.

Gervais
31-01-2014, 09:13
The Moscow Times ultimately serves globalist billionaires who effectively own it and all mass media, directly or indirectly. This move to break down all barriers, especially financial ones, but cultural and religious ones as well, have put them on a collision course with the financial, political and cultural interests that, like it or not, dominate in Russia. So they condemn any effort to maintain Russian economic autonomy by sneering at barriers to "free" trade - which really only means the billionaires can move their goods and money across borders without hindrance or responsibility, any effort to censor smut and the insane ideas pouring in from the West that flood the media, and of course, any demand that the traditional religion of Russia that even seventy years of Russian-Lad style of hate couldn't put down, a sneer at all the people who freely choose, accept and maintain that religion.

Heck, a lot of people here reflect that Western desire to make Russia a colony of the West. So the Moscow Times, like most other Western media, sets itself up against Russian interests. While pretending and claiming to love Russia, they want to see it become another minor country that we global citizens of the New Roman Empire, can trod over at will and change what we like to suit us, rather than admire an independent country because it is NOT our country, respecting it as an equal, yet different thing.

I too found the MT a bit too "westernized" at times and one could clearly sense, that it is mainly made / owned by a group of people liking to raise the finger and measuring Russia on "different" standards not necessarily russian.

Even if it is so, MT is part of the (global) media scene and there is no need to condemn it as long as it's not your ONLY source of information...

I wouldn't agree to your conspiracy theory that MT is part of a global "empire" which ultimately aims at making Russia a "minor country" (has been tried several times in the past and always terribly failed...)
As mentioned in the beginning, I'm sometimes missing that certain "smile" in the MT articles which would show the "respecting it (Russia) as an equal, yet different thing"
:10293:

rusmeister
31-01-2014, 10:50
I too found the MT a bit too "westernized" at times and one could clearly sense, that it is mainly made / owned by a group of people liking to raise the finger and measuring Russia on "different" standards not necessarily russian.

Even if it is so, MT is part of the (global) media scene and there is no need to condemn it as long as it's not your ONLY source of information...

I wouldn't agree to your conspiracy theory that MT is part of a global "empire" which ultimately aims at making Russia a "minor country" (has been tried several times in the past and always terribly failed...)
As mentioned in the beginning, I'm sometimes missing that certain "smile" in the MT articles which would show the "respecting it (Russia) as an equal, yet different thing"
:10293:

Hi, Gervais,
Because these posts are brief things, it's really hard to get accurate context across. I can see why you read "conspiracy theory" into my words (and can even guess at the common assumptions behind that that means), but I do NOT believe in the sort of conspiracy that commonly envisions. Indeed, the whole idea of conspiracy rates a separate thread, a serious essay.

But it is true that the "global media scene" is owned by a fairly small group of men, who constitute the plutocracy that now has their various papers and sources tell everyone, not what the listeners would really want to know, but what its owners want us to think. So even though I do not imagine a group of men behind closed doors rubbing their hands as they plot to take over the world", what I said stands as the MT IS yet one more organ repeating exactly the same general content we find in the NYT, the WP, the LAT, the Guardian, ad infinitum. Most differences that you certainly can find are superficial, but the things in common are foundational.

robertmf
31-01-2014, 17:19
Still

Please try again later.

Moscow Times is still posting on facebook. I sent a query about the website.

:10168:

FatAndy
31-01-2014, 17:45
Still

Please try again later.

Moscow Times is still posting on facebook. I sent a query about the website.

:10168:
One more atrocity of bloody regime!:hooray:
Now it doesn't work from my office. Well, not a big lost, to be honest.

AstarD
31-01-2014, 17:49
It's working fine for me at the office with Chrome.