PDA

View Full Version : Patriotism or Jingoistic

Random
19-02-2004, 13:06
Whilst attempting to cross the road this morning, I was almost borne-down by a nice shiny car from the British Embassy.

How do I know it was from the British Embassy? Easy! Two tell tale signs. First the nice red number plate 001 and secondly the Union Flag fluttering gently on the wing of the vechile.

The thing that stunned me though was, as I lept out of the way, it was attached to a Mercedes!

Nothing like buying British and truly flying the flag! Eh Chaps

Limitchik
19-02-2004, 13:11
Just out of curiousity, the only three British cars I can think of are Jaguar, Aston Martin and Rolls/Bentley. I'm sure there others. So, what are the other less expensive British cars that he could waste your tax dollars on other than a German Benz ?

Filimon
19-02-2004, 13:18
Originally posted by Limitchik
Just out of curiousity, the only three British cars I can think of are Jaguar, Aston Martin and Rolls/Bentley. I'm sure there others. So, what are the other less expensive British cars that he could waste your tax dollars on other than a German Benz ?

Incorrect. Jaguar and Aston Martin are owned by Ford, Roll Royce is owned by Volkswagen and Bentley - by BMW.

A truly British company out there is Rover. Which incidentally produces cars way below the price bracket of Mercs.
Rover 75 3.5 V6 is a good example of British engineering. Plus new wave of MGs.

There is also TVR, of course, but I somehow doubt the embassy will put its staff into 4.5-litre two-seaters :)

Alethea
19-02-2004, 13:22
How about Reliant?:D Three wheels will do for Embassy.

sevan
19-02-2004, 13:34
...and if it had the flag flying, that means it was the ambassador himself who nearly ran you down! :)

If you think that the UK ambassador in a Merc is weird, the US ambassador gets driven around in a BMW!

Ned Kelly
19-02-2004, 13:34
i think a morris minor is too good for a british diplomat.

Random
19-02-2004, 13:35
Exactly I see no reason why they shouldn't be in a Rover !!

I think the main man has a Jaguar. Which as pointed out is owned by Ford yet is still made in the UK. Same goes for any of the Land Rovers ie Range, Disco, Freelander & Defender.
Made in the UK owned by Johnny Foreigner.

Reliant Robins sadly are no longer made. Shame can see it now a Yellow Van running about Moscow with the words

British Independant Traders

on the sides !!

Filimon
19-02-2004, 13:37
Originally posted by Alethea
How about Reliant?:D Three wheels will do for Embassy.

I was going to mention it, but thought better. :)

Wouldn't it be hilarious - black Robin Relaint with tinted windows, shiny rims, Union Jack and diplomatic number plates steaming through Central Moscow at its top speed (of about 3 mph) :)

Filimon
19-02-2004, 13:38
Originally posted by Random
Exactly I see no reason why they shouldn't be in a Rover !!

I think the main man has a Jaguar. Which as pointed out is owned by Ford yet is still made in the UK. Same goes for any of the Land Rovers ie Range, Disco, Freelander & Defender.
Made in the UK owned by Johnny Foreigner.

Reliant Robins sadly are no longer made. Shame can see it now a Yellow Van running about Moscow with the words

British Independant Traders

on the sides !!

Yes, and "New York, Paris, Peckham, Vykhino" underneath it :)

Alethea
19-02-2004, 13:40
Originally posted by Filimon
I was going to mention it, but thought better. :)

Wouldn't it be hilarious - black Robin Relaint with tinted windows, shiny rims, Union Jack and diplomatic number plates steaming through Central Moscow at its top speed (of about 3 mph) :)

Filimon, I've got even better idea - ricksha!!

Random
19-02-2004, 13:43
Just to be an anorak for a minute - I knew it wasn't the Boss fella as his car when he is in it - has the Union Flag on it, however in the center there is the State Arms with a garland.

Filimon
19-02-2004, 13:43
Filimon, I've got even better idea - ricksha!!

Nah, let's have a purple Toyota Carina with a golden tissue box on the dashboard :)

Alethea
19-02-2004, 13:45
Originally posted by Filimon
Nah, let's have a purple Toyota Carina with a golden tissue box on the dashboard :)

We are talking about British Embassador, not novy russky? You sure?:D And disposable golden ashtray

geordie
19-02-2004, 13:47
British car manufacturers in 1950:
AC
Allard
Alvis
Armstrong Siddeley
Aston Martin
Austin
Austin Healey
Bentley
Bristol
Daimler
Ford
Frazer Nash
Hillman
Humber
Jaguar
Jensen
Lagonda
Lanchester
MG
Morgan
Morris
Riley
Rolls-Royce
Rover
Singer
Standard
Sunbeam
Triumph
Vauxhall
Wolseley

Now what do we have?? Rover, London Taxis??

Random
19-02-2004, 13:47
Yeah a Toyota !! Have you no shame !! It would have to be a Nissan for that true experiance surely ???

And at least they are made in the UK !

Alethea
19-02-2004, 13:49
Filimon, I DO hope you ain't a BMW driver yourself?:confused:

Filimon
19-02-2004, 13:50
Originally posted by geordie
British car manufacturers in 1950:
AC - American
Allard
Alvis
Armstrong Siddeley
Aston Martin
Austin
Austin Healey
Bentley
Bristol
Daimler
Ford - American
Frazer Nash
Hillman
Humber
Jaguar
Jensen
Lagonda - I thought it was Aston Martin?
Lanchester
MG
Morgan
Morris
Riley
Rolls-Royce
Rover
Singer
Standard
Sunbeam
Triumph
Vauxhall - that's Opel, isn't it? Never been british.
Wolseley

Now what do we have?? Rover, London Taxis??

Alethea
19-02-2004, 13:53
I'm lost now. Is it an answer on my question?? You drive all those cars?

Random
19-02-2004, 13:54
Aston Martin & Lagonda where orginally two seperate companies.

geordie
19-02-2004, 13:55
No it was brtish before the seventies. I think based around the Luton area

fat_chick
19-02-2004, 13:56
tube
pretty british

Random
19-02-2004, 13:59
Ned, whats wrong with the Old Moggy Minor ??? I had one and fail to to see the problem with it !!

Ned Kelly
19-02-2004, 14:02
nothing, they're fabulous.

boscoe
19-02-2004, 14:04
Sorry guys Rover is owned by BMW and Reliant Motors Ltd donít produce anymoreÖ It looks like a TVR or a taxi :(

Alethea
19-02-2004, 14:05
Originally posted by boscoe
Sorry guys Rover is owned by BMW and Reliant Motors Ltd donít produce anymoreÖ It looks like a TVR or a taxi :(

They may not produce anymore, yet people still drive used cars.

Random
19-02-2004, 14:12
OK I concede maybe not a full British built car - then how about a car made in the UK ? As the car industry seems to consist of Sports Car manufacturers - TVR, Morgan et all

Fail to see why (who ever it was) cannot run about in a London Cab - Great tourism advert as well !

Alethea
19-02-2004, 14:16
OK I concede maybe not a full British built car - then how about a car made in the UK ? As the car industry seems to consist of Sports Car manufacturers - TVR, Morgan et all

Fail to see why (who ever it was) cannot run about in a London Cab - Great tourism advert as well !

IN a serious mode now - I've seen the taxies which looked like London cabs in moscow streets.

fat_chick
19-02-2004, 14:17
I told you - underground is a pretty british developed transport

Filimon
19-02-2004, 14:28
Originally posted by boscoe

Wo, wait a second. LandRover may be owned by BMW, so is Mini. But Rover and MG was bought by a UK company a couple of years ago for £10. It is now a fully UK entity, MG Rover Group Ltd, based in Longbridge. They even call themselves "a British truly independent car maker"

Don't you remember that big scandal, when BMW wanted to get rid of Rover altogether?

Random
19-02-2004, 14:28
Yes Luzhkov runs them like the Gazelle buses - they have a set route - unlike taxis we know and love

OK Boring part - cause its a slow day

I can think of the following Car Manufacturers left in the UK

AC Cars is British it is one of the oldest car makers founded in 1901 - based in Weybridge

Aston Martin - owned by Ford

Bentley - owned by VW

Caterham - I can just see them in Sevens !!

Jaguar - Owned by Ford

Land Rover - Ford

Lotus - owned by Proton (Malaysian)

Marcos - based in Wiltshire

McLaren - OK a little cheating

Mini - BMW

Morgan - based in Worcestershire

Rolls - Royce - owned by VW

Rover - Owned by Phoenix (bought from BMW) includes MG

TVR - based in Blackpool

Westfield - based in West Midlands

Probably missing lots like Nissan are made in the UK etc etc

Filimon
19-02-2004, 14:30
Filimon, I DO hope you ain't a BMW driver yourself?:confused:

No, I am driven by a chauffer. My car is the best. It's called "8.35 to Charing Cross" :)

Filimon
19-02-2004, 14:32
Randon, Bentley is owned by BMW

Random
19-02-2004, 14:32
Filimon agree re Mini to BMW but wasn't part of that deal Ford got Land Rover ?

Ah who knows - the point is that Rover are a UK company through and through - so now no excuses for cruising around in a Merc !!

Filimon
19-02-2004, 14:33
Filimon agree re Mini to BMW but wasn't part of that deal Ford got Land Rover ?

Ah who knows - the point is that Rover are a UK company through and through - so now no excuses for cruising around in a Merc !!

No excuse at all! Let them eat cake...I mean ride Rovers :)

Random
19-02-2004, 14:35
Disagree old horse re Bentley - I think they are owned by Audi VW - unless they sold it to BMW - I am confused !!!

I know Bentley are made on the Goodwood estate as you drive past it on your way out form the racecourse if your heading for the coast.

Random
19-02-2004, 14:40
According to the Bentley website

www.bentleymotors.com they were bought in 1998 by VW

Sorry to be a nerd market is way too slow !

Filimon
19-02-2004, 14:41
According to the Bentley website

www.bentleymotors.com they were bought in 1998 by VW

Sorry to be a nerd market is way too slow !

Sorry, my mistake, it's the other way around. Bentley is owned by VW and Rolls Royce by BMW.

geordie
19-02-2004, 14:55
I've been driving in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar
I bought it in Primrose Hill from a bloke from Brazil
It was made in fifty-nine in a factory by the Tyne
It says Morris on the door, the G.P.O. owned it before
I drive in it for my job, the governor calls me a slob
But I don't really care, give me some gas and the open air

It's a bit old but it's mine, I mend it in my spare time
Just last week I changed the oil, the rocker valves and the coil
Just last week I changed the oil
Last week it went round the clock, I also had a little knock
I dented somebody's fender, he learnt not to park on a bender, ha ha ha

I've been driving in my car, it don't look much but I've been far
I drive up to Muswell Hill, I've even been to Selsey Bill
I drove along the A45, I had her up to 58
This copper stopped me the other day, you're mistaken what could I say
The tyres were a little worn, they were O.K., I could have sworn
I like driving in my car, I'm satisfied I've got this far

I like driving in my car, it don't look much but I've been far
I like driving in my car, even with a flat tyre
I like driving in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar
I like driving in my car, I'm satisfied I've got this far

Random
19-02-2004, 15:06
Your correct RR is owned by BMW - my error ! Wont change it on orginal thread as otherwise people will get confused !

So I guess a letter should be written

Dear Mr UK Ambassador

The good burghers of Expat.ru would like it known that one should be seen riding around in a UK manufactured car.

Depsite the fact that the American Ambassador choses to cruise these thoroughfares in a BMW that is his or her chosing.

We remain Sir, Your humble servant

Expat.ru

PS Got any spare Ferro Rocher ?

geordie
19-02-2004, 15:09
all he cares about is his gin and tonics, his marmite and custard creams. He doesn't care for the common man, he's on a jolly.

boscoe
19-02-2004, 15:38
He's got MARMITE!!!

:)

DPG
19-02-2004, 17:10
and custard creams.......!

And why should he care for the common man? He's the British ambassador...there are far too many of those common folk around...if he shared all his Marmite and biscuits with them, there wouldn't be any left for the likes of me!!;)

stefania2003
19-02-2004, 23:32
But was the driver a Russian?? If so, that would be understandable since Moscow drivers are the worst I've ever seen. It must surely be the most dangerous city to be a pedestrian in.

kniga
20-02-2004, 09:01
Nope, Bangkok, where when there is an accident (frequently), the taxi drivers simply abandon their vehicles and run away.

Limitchik
20-02-2004, 09:18
Originally posted by stefania2003
But was the driver a Russian?? If so, that would be understandable since Moscow drivers are the worst I've ever seen. It must surely be the most dangerous city to be a pedestrian in.

I'm gonna apologize right off the bat. It's early and I'm cranky, but Stephania, that's just a stupid, presumptuous, and offensive statement.

First, factually, I can't believe you've never heard of or been to places where the driving is generally considered less regulated than here like in Egypt, India, etc. What about Rome ? Ever been in an Italian Taxi ?

Second, I really get bugged by this attitiude. This need to exagerrate. You don't like the driving here ? Fine. There are lots of thinks I don't like, but I don't exagerrate to the point of absurdity when I express it. Have you ever met those expats (susually newbies) that feel some great need to write home describing how horrible and shockingly primitive it is here ? I never understood why. To elicit admiration or pity ? To justify your hardship pay ? For good stories when you get home ?

"Oh I lived in the most fascinating place ! The driving was just terrible"

Third, it's a condescending and offensive myth that the expats like to perpetuate for the sake of maintaining their expat superiority over the locals:

"Oh my god, one of the natives almost ran me over today. Silly primates. Hahaha. Glad I have a driver and sound-proofed benz to keep it all out. '
"Oh I know ! Aren't they terrible ? "

Take your sentence and try replacing "Russian" and "Moscow" with "black" (or any other minority) and tell me that doesn't sound really offensive.

Flame off,
Limitchik

Alethea
20-02-2004, 09:28
Originally posted by stefania2003

I agree. One should be very cautious even when crossing at green lights! Because some drivers might think traffic lights are not for them.

vanross
20-02-2004, 09:59
No, Moscow has the best-trained pedestriants I have ever seen. I even figured out why they are so skilled. There are two categories of pedestrians on Moscow streets:

THE QUICK AND THE DEAD.

Those who survived are the quick.

Alethea
20-02-2004, 10:08
Originally posted by vanross
No, Moscow has the best-trained pedestriants I have ever seen. I even figured out why they are so skilled. There are two categories of pedestrians on Moscow streets:

THE QUICK AND THE DEAD.

Those who survived are the quick.

Indeed... In Western Europe pedestrians are slow, relaxed and self-assured. I used to be one... Here I'm getting all fussy while crossing the road. that's why I'm still alive, probably.
Moscow drivers hate slow pedestrians, because they are getting underfoot ( or should we say *underwheel*?)

Random
20-02-2004, 10:40
I am a pedestrian in this fair city - so ergo must be one of the faster ones !

BUT the point of my thread wasn't who was driving this jollopy - it was what it was !!

Alethea
20-02-2004, 10:45
I am a pedestrian in this fair city - so ergo must be one of the faster ones !

BUT the point of my thread wasn't who was driving this jollopy - it was what it was !!

Random,
as it always happens on here, a thread lives it's own life:) We just changed a subject slightly.

Random
20-02-2004, 11:14
I know ;)

However I found myself agreeing with Limit that the drivers aren't that bad here ! So figured I have either been here too long or I hadn't driven around the Wandsworth one-way system in a while ......

sfjohns67
20-02-2004, 11:25
Gotta' chime in with support of Lim as well...I lived in the metro Washington DC area for about 10 years, 2 of them downtown, and believe me, you take your pedestrian life in your hands at every crosswalk there. The only advantage I would give over DC is being able to curse inconsiderate drivers in my native language.

My recent weekend in Warsaw, however, gave me a funny surprise: cars actually stopping at the crosswalk as we were still standing at the curb awaiting an opening to dash across. Several of them actually stopped and honked at us to get moving!

Alethea
20-02-2004, 11:30
Originally posted by sfjohns67
Gotta' chime in with support of Lim as well...I lived in the metro Washington DC area for about 10 years, 2 of them downtown, and believe me, you take your pedestrian life in your hands at every crosswalk there. The only advantage I would give over DC is being able to curse inconsiderate drivers in my native language.

My recent weekend in Warsaw, however, gave me a funny surprise: cars actually stopping at the crosswalk as we were still standing at the curb awaiting an opening to dash across. Several of them actually stopped and honked at us to get moving!

Warsaw drivers ARE the best! They respect pedestrians. By the way< SFJ, how did you like Warsaw?

vanross
20-02-2004, 12:17
Moscow pedestrians are the best!!!!!!!

earl
20-02-2004, 13:09
Originally posted by kniga
Nope, Bangkok, where when there is an accident (frequently), the taxi drivers simply abandon their vehicles and run away.

I have to chime in here. I can't make any comparison to Moscow, but Bangkok is particularly amazing. Somewhere I have a photograph of 5 -- count 'em, mother, father, two children, and baby -- on a motorcycle. It was amazing. And yes, the drivers do run away after accidents. During the Thai new year -- Sangoruk? I just blew the spelling there -- it isn't uncommon for hundreds of people to be injured in traffic accidents. Part of the issue is that, to get a license, all you have to do is drive in a circle on a closed course without any other cars! (Or B500).

A friend of mine was in Laos. (And he swears this story is true.) He was in a taxi and the taxi was in an accident. My friend was arrested, apparently because if he hadn't taken the taxi, the accident wouldn't have happened ;) That cost a couple thousand Baht to get out of...

Oh, and a TVR seems particularly reasonable for an ambassador to drive ;) You have to absolutely love 450 HP on a 2000-2500 lb curb weight car with no traction control or ABS "because it ruins the feel". God, what wonderful cars to drive... When I was in London I stopped at the showroom. Picture 3 grubby college students walking in... the salesmen let us ogle the cars for a while -- they were quite cool about it, given we obviously weren't buying.

-earl-

kniga
20-02-2004, 13:13
Earl,

You may remember from your time in Thailand that 90% of the accidents are headon collisions because when pulling out to p**** Thai drivers depend on Buddha to make the room for them to safely pull back into their lane. Makes Moscow look pretty tame in comparison...

earl
20-02-2004, 13:23
So, I'm in Bangkok and I get this idea that I'm going to visit Isaan. Not because I hooked up with a BG, but just because I'm curious and it's a little off the beaten path. Unfortunately, Lonely Planet doesn't have anything useful to say about it.

So two buddies and I barfine this girl and pay her to basically act as a guide -- between the three of us, it's cheap, and she gets out of the bars for a couple days. She finds this guy, a brother, cousin, god only knows, to drive us up there so we don't have to take the bus. At the time, i don't think that there were any air-con buses headed that way, and if you've never experienced sitting on a bus for 10 hours when it's 40C out, well, it's an experience ;) Especially with a bunch of drunk and hot Thais.

So anyway, we leave at like 3 in the blessed morning to avoid the traffic. This guy driving is bloody crazy -- no lights, potholes the size of manholes, and this guy bloody buried the pedal. At one point, we were doing 180km/h. That's when I decided I needed to get drunk and quick. I spent most of the ride with my eyes closed. And the real driving treat is watching them play chicken -- from the passenger seat! This guy would just pull into oncoming traffic and expect the traffic to pull onto the shoulder. Every time we complained he busted out the mai pen rai... Of course, you can't get out of the car without causing a scene.

We took the bus back -- my nerves just weren't strong enough. That's why driving accidents are apparently the number one cause of death in Thailand.

-earl-

Edit: grammar...

ghost 6-3
20-02-2004, 13:23
The dangerous part of being a pedestrian in Moscow is not while traversing the street - we all know that is dangerous. What scares me is when I am walking on the sidewalk, and a car passes me at 30 mph giving me 2 inch clearance without even a warning honk.

Random
20-02-2004, 13:51
Ghost - on this subject a classic !

I was meandering towards Stockmann from Tinkoff direction, last weekend, when a car pulls up on the pavement in front of me, taking up the whole pavement. So now one has to walk in the road. Situation normal I guess.
However as the family of black clad Russians spill out of their machine the youngest of the tribe steps into the road. He has no choice dad has just parked where the pavement was. The good patriach spies his offspring in the road and then clips him about the ear for walking in the road !

Where else was the kid going to go !??!

kniga
20-02-2004, 14:36
Earl,

You need to explain "mai pen rai" means, "No problem," "No sweat," "It doesn't matter" in Thai, one of their favorite cover-all-situations comments.

earl
20-02-2004, 14:49
Ooh, sorry -- Kniga's right.

Mai Pen Rai is pretty much a generic 'piss off' response to any complaint or anything else you may not like. Of course, admitting someone was wrong or accepting criticism means someone would have to lose face, so it just isn't done. All you're going to get is a smile that will quickly disappear if you press your complaint.

When everything goes well, you get great customer service in Thailand; if there is ever a problem, it all goes to hell in a handbasket in a hurry. Thailand is going to be a 3rd world country forever until there is a major cultural shift which I just don't see coming.

Sorry for the rant, but it's one of the things that killed me over and over while I was there. Many Thai's are nice people on the surface, but they are actively hostile towards customers.

-earl-

DPG
20-02-2004, 15:00
<<<if there is ever a problem, it all goes to hell in a handbasket in a hurry.....until there is a major cultural shift which I just don't see coming.>>>

Sounds strangely familiar, can't think of where though!;)

[Other than of course my home country, which apparently is rather going to hell in a handbasket itself at the moment - still, that's Blair for you!]

Hmmm, 'going to hell in a handbasket' - I'll have to make a note of that, I like it, I intend to use it often in conversation!:D