PDA

View Full Version : Duration of stay on U.S. tourist visa

sashitaski
04-01-2008, 10:38
Does anyone know what factors influence the duration of stay on a U.S. tourist visa? Apprently, even if you have a 1-year multiple entry visa, once you arrive in the U.S., the officer will stamp a "leave-by" date on your visa (or I-94?) If you don't know how long you'll be allowed to stay for, how can you purchase a round-trip ticket? (as a one-way would look suspicious, considering you're a tourist) I have checked on U.S. government and travel sites, which say that yes, you are issued a leave-by date upon arrival, but no information as to how long that is. I tried to call the embassy, but they won't be working until the 9th. The original plan was a trip for 6 weeks, but might 4 weeks be safer? Any experience with this? Thanks! (p.s. The expected departure date is May 1st)

phosphonic acid
29-01-2008, 21:25
There is no limit as to how long you can stay inthe US on a tourist VISA. As you said, you will be given a leave-by date when you enter the country. If you show that you will be travelling/visiting for 1 week, and have the necessary info and return ticket, then they stamp a date one week from when you arrive. If ou show them proof and evidence of a longer, say 6 week, trip/vacation, with the appropriate return tickets, then they will stamp a date 6 weeks from your arrival. There is no set time for how long you can stay, and it is really up to you. See below the information on the US embassy website for Moscow (did you not see this before?)

Q: How long can I remain in the United States?

A: Your length of stay will be determined by the immigration official at the port of entry upon arrival in the U.S. The validity of the visa has nothing to do with how long one can remain in the United States. Rather, it is the period of time in which one can travel to the United States. That is, a person with a multiple entry visa valid for one year can make several trips to the U.S. during that year. The length of each visit, however, will be determined at the port of entry.

sashitaski
30-01-2008, 06:27
Thanks a lot, that really cleared things up for me. I did see the question on the embassy website, but it is rather vague, and does not say that the decision on when you have to leave by is directly related to your travel plans and when you return trip is for. From what I read it seemed almost random, so that you would be given a longer duration if you "got lucky." But it makes sense that they should take your travel plans into account. Thanks.

nkhan00
02-02-2008, 14:21
When we landed at Memphis last June, the immigration officer told us that he is allowing us the "maximum possible" stay of six months - and that's what he stamped on the passport.