PDA

View Full Version : Good Day Everyone!

Capman
05-01-2014, 15:56
Hello, I am a not so young man from Florida/USA. I met my Russian wife there quite a few years ago. She moved back here to Moscow when her parents became ill in 2010. I followed when my visa was finally completed in 2012. Yes the winters take a bit of getting used to. I am a graphic designer specializing in digital media production.

I donít know why it has taken me this long to try and find a hangout like this forum, but I am glad it is here. I found a link to this site through a blog post, which was an interview of another blogger, who lives and teaches English here in Moscow. We have a few friends, but none who speak English. I joined here in hopes to maybe meet some new friends.

Sincerely,
Cap

penka
05-01-2014, 17:51
Hey Cap and welcome to the site!

Keep an eye on the posts and undoubtably, you'll meet nice folks sooner or later!

And of course, if you are into something, whether it's music, sports or just hanging out - you can always suggest some outing!

Gervais
05-01-2014, 18:10
Hi Folks,

After returning from my christmas-home-run I returned and found the city surprisingly empty
Are some of you still here ?
What about some exhibits for art lovers ?

M.C. Escher: exhibit of works by renowned Dutch graphic artist Maurits Cornelis Escher (1898-1972), to Feb. 9. Located at 25 Petrovka. M. Chekhovskaya. www.mmoma.ru

Or more fun at one of the few gigs which are on this weekend:
Saturday:
- Emergency Band: r&b, blues, rock. Roadhouse. 8 p.m.
- Shemyakina Band: funk and soul covers. B2 small hall. 9 p.m.
Sunday:
- Cheers Mate: jungle and drum 'n' bass party. Shestnadtsat Tonn. 11:55 p.m.
- Mikhail Kistanov Trio: blues. B.B. King. 8:30 p.m.
- Open Blues Jam. Roadhouse. 6 p.m.

Looking forward to some replies or pm me
Cheers
Gervais

Capman
05-01-2014, 18:42
Hey Cap and welcome to the site!

Keep an eye on the posts and undoubtably, you'll meet nice folks sooner or later!

And of course, if you are into something, whether it's music, sports or just hanging out - you can always suggest some outing!

Thank you Penka for the warm welcome. I've been reading through some of the posts, they're great. This seems to be quite a busy place. :)

Capman
05-01-2014, 18:48
Hi Folks,

After returning from my christmas-home-run I returned and found the city surprisingly empty
Are some of you still here ?
What about some exhibits for art lovers ?

M.C. Escher: exhibit of works by renowned Dutch graphic artist Maurits Cornelis Escher (1898-1972), to Feb. 9. Located at 25 Petrovka. M. Chekhovskaya.

Looking forward to some replies or pm me
Cheers
Gervais

Hello Gervais,

Thank you very much. I'm afraid this weekend is a bit short notice, but the exhibit in February sounds pretty cool!

Thanks again, and good to meet ya.
Cap

Gervais
05-01-2014, 18:51
Chap,

You're welcome :) for me it will be B.B. King tonite... at least for a beer and one set :)

natlee
05-01-2014, 19:10
Hi Capman, Happy New Year to you and your family and welcome to the forums! :)

I, too, am certain you'll find friends on here - if you have a sense of humor and aren't easily offended, that is! ;) Enjoy the ride! :)

bydand
05-01-2014, 19:49
Welcome Mr. Capman, I believe none of the former respondents to this thread are USA expats. :eh: Beware.

What part of FL:sunny: did you move from, Orlando area?

Capman
05-01-2014, 19:50
Hi Capman, Happy New Year to you and your family and welcome to the forums! :)

I, too, am certain you'll find friends on here - if you have a sense of humor and aren't easily offended, that is! ;) Enjoy the ride! :)

Hello Natlee,

Happy New year to you too, and thank you for the heads up. I'll tread lightly. :)

Capman
05-01-2014, 19:59
Welcome Mr. Capman, I believe none of the former respondents to this thread are USA expats. :eh: Beware.

Hello Bydand,

Thank you for the welcome. I'm from Daytona Beach, I'm not a big fan of the Orlando area, mainly because folks drive about the same way they do here in Moscow :) (freaken Nutzy) ;) I am thankful for the Metro.

Where are you from?

bydand
05-01-2014, 20:31
Hello Bydand,

Thank you for the welcome. I'm from Daytona Beach, I'm not a big fan of the Orlando area, mainly because folks drive about the same way they do here in Moscow :) (freaken Nutzy) ;) I am thankful for the Metro.

Where are you from?

I was born on Long Island, NY; but only lived there six months... still makes me a damn Yankee.

Orlando (Disney) just popped into my head when you mentioned digital media production. One of my (of only five) friends lives in Longwood. He would certainly agree with you about the traffic, he gave up motorcycles when he moved to FL, Palm Beach area too; but its because of old people, not the same reason in Moscow. Best I can tell in Moscow its teenage level testosterone!

penka
05-01-2014, 20:44

I'm certainly not:) Ethnic Russian, Swedish national. Hope, it's okay:)

Capman
05-01-2014, 21:01

That's quite ok with me, Penka :) Nice to meet you!

penka
05-01-2014, 21:05
That's quite ok with me, Penka :) Nice to meet you!

Likewise, cap!:)

Capman
05-01-2014, 21:08
I was born on Long Island, NY; but only lived there six months... still makes me a damn Yankee.

Orlando (Disney) just popped into my head when you mentioned digital media production.

I think Orlando or Miami, is probably the first places most people think of when it comes to Florida. And your right Orlando is getting more into the television and movie thing. I'm also thinking, if you're a damn Yankee, I'm guessing the weather was something to get used to for you as well. I'm glad it is the dry kind of cold, it seems a bit more bearable.

bydand
05-01-2014, 21:15

Certainly okay! All are welcome, I was just surprised, thinking I was the first American to greet Capman. Where's RMF ya know, isn't it his job? Where's Jack?

No offence meant toward any.:bird:

natlee
05-01-2014, 21:15
Welcome Mr. Capman, I believe none of the former respondents to this thread are USA expats. :eh: Beware. Guilty as charged :) Muscovite born and bred, relatively well-traveled though :)

natlee
05-01-2014, 21:16
Where's Jack? Seems to have left us - talk about being easily offended! ;) :(

bydand
05-01-2014, 21:26
I think Orlando or Miami, is probably the first places most people think of when it comes to Florida. And your right Orlando is getting more into the television and movie thing. I'm also thinking, if you're a damn Yankee, I'm guessing the weather was something to get used to for you as well. I'm glad it is the dry kind of cold, it seems a bit more bearable.

I went to uni in CO, so know how to dress for the cold, it only bothers me if less than -20 C and I have to breath hard (hurts my nose) from exertion. Though last year there was a lot more snow to shovel here in Kashin than this year to date.:hooray:

Capman
05-01-2014, 21:28
Guilty as charged :) Muscovite born and bred, relatively well-traveled though :)

Good to meet ya Natlee! :)

penka
05-01-2014, 22:08
Guys, correct me, if I'm wrong re the places where the expats hang out:

Punch and Judy (British pub)
Standard

what's the other place at Belorussky?

PS Cap, you can start a separate thread, telling folks where you live and maybe there will be smb in your area:)

natlee
05-01-2014, 22:14

Standard

what's the other place at Belorussky? The Hudson Bar

Capman
05-01-2014, 22:27

Standard

PS Cap, you can start a separate thread, telling folks where you live and maybe there will be smb in your area:)

I'm not quite comfortable enough to spill my location just yet, but thank you very much for the information and your replies!

You folks have a great night!

Thanks again
Cap

tonytony
05-01-2014, 22:42

Standard

I've met a few other British expats at the Fullers pub on ulitsa bolshaya ordinka, it's about half way between polyanka and tretyakovskaya stations.

EDIT

Here is a review of the pub, although the prices have gone up since then:-

http://themoscownews.com/food/20100826/188007838.html

Another edit, I forgot to say that they also sell Newkie Brown

molly picon
06-01-2014, 19:19
I'm an actual American in Moscow too, in sunny beautiful Florida at the moment (heaven knows why I'm bothering to look at expat.ru- nostalgia?). I'll be back in February, feel free to contact me.

Capman
06-01-2014, 20:15
Hello Molly,

will do :)