PDA

View Full Version : Coming to Moscow soon

Agnieszka Hogwarts
03-01-2014, 22:19
Hello,
a friend suggested I join this site - I'll be moving to Moscow soon for research to spend most of 2014 there. At the moment I am looking for a room preferably on the orange line (south). I am Polish but have been living in working in the UK (as quite a few of my fellow nationals recently...).

FatAndy
03-01-2014, 22:20
Witam! ;)

TolkoRaz
03-01-2014, 22:41
Hello,
a friend suggested I join this site - I'll be moving to Moscow soon for research to spend most of 2014 there. At the moment I am looking for a room preferably on the orange line (south). I am Polish but have been living in working in the UK (as quite a few of my fellow nationals recently...).

Dobry wieczˇr :) Powitanie! :beerbros:

Skąd jesteś?

Czym się zajmujesz? :)

tomek
06-01-2014, 09:21
witaj rodaczko :) kiedy przeprowadzka?

Agnieszka Hogwarts
06-01-2014, 12:27
Thanks for the welcome. I hope to come end of March/beginning of April. Not my first trip to Russia, but this one will definitely be the longest. I work at a university, doing research on Russia's culture. At the moment I am going through all the introductory forum threads - quite helpful stuff. Thanks guys!

Kartoshka
06-01-2014, 13:12
Welcome, Agnieszka!

Gervais
06-01-2014, 13:40
Thanks for the welcome. I hope to come end of March/beginning of April. Not my first trip to Russia, but this one will definitely be the longest. I work at a university, doing research on Russia's culture. At the moment I am going through all the introductory forum threads - quite helpful stuff. Thanks guys!

Hi Agnieszka,

Witamy :)

In 2011 I spend one year in Warsawa and now since September 2013 (officially) in Moscow. Hope to meet up with you. Is research on Russian culture your main topic here or are you just researching to get along in Moscow ? ;)
Although I have worked / lived in quite a few countries before incl. Asia I'm still in my "cultural adaption phase".

penka
06-01-2014, 13:46
Hey Agnieszka!

Welcome to expat.ru and to Moscow!

Agnieszka Hogwarts
06-01-2014, 15:29
At Gervais Thanks!
My specific topic concerns Russian legal culture (interviews and archival work), though I bet that for the first few months I will be researching 'how to survive in Moscow'... But I am quite up for the challenge!

Gervais
06-01-2014, 17:55
"Russian Legal Culture" :D :D :D
I would be very interested in the outcome ! So far I only listened to the obvious western inclined prejudices about the LACK of reliable legal culture... And the dubious pleasure of signing about 10 contracts every day on every single coffe supply for the office.
I will soon have the pleasure of joining a court case... Looking forward to it :) :) :)
I was invited a few weeks ago to a seminar named:
"Russian legal system - the change from form over substance to substance over form" :) :) :)

Agnieszka Hogwarts
06-01-2014, 18:41
'So far I only listened to the obvious western inclined prejudices about the LACK of reliable legal culture... '

I am coming from a non-normative approach: there is always 'some' culture - meaning set of practices, values and attitudes - the idea is to get to know it. It is this very prejudice you wrote about that inspired my research.

I will soon have the pleasure of joining a court case... Looking forward to it :) :) :)

I would really like to find out more about it. Do you know the works of Cathryn Hendley on Russian legal dualism?

I was invited a few weeks ago to a seminar named:
"Russian legal system - the change from form over substance to substance over form" :) :) :)

And how did you like it? Was it substantively different (pardon the pun) from what you expected to hear?

penka
06-01-2014, 19:14
There were and are excellent Russian lawyers, from Koni to Padva and Reznik, who are also part of this culture. So, I wouldn't be that categorical.

As for the deficiencies in the legal system, it exists absolutely everywhere.

Gervais
11-01-2014, 15:36
I am coming from a non-normative approach: there is always 'some' culture - meaning set of practices, values and attitudes - the idea is to get to know it. It is this very prejudice you wrote about that inspired my research.

I would really like to find out more about it. Do you know the works of Cathryn Hendley on Russian legal dualism?

And how did you like it? Was it substantively different (pardon the pun) from what you expected to hear?

1. That's why I said I'm interested in the outcome :) I think the prejudice coming from most foreigners is resulting in their inability to deal with this culture. I have the feeling the (external) view on the legal system is: In the end justice is related to power rather than quality of lawyers or actual laws. This prejudice howeever is mainly resulting from the blunt media coverage in "the west" of the more prominent cases. That's why I'm really keen to get a very small insight into the day to day cases.

2. I'm not a lawyer and I haven't even studied law. So I'm sorry to say that I have no background on legal theories or even deeper insight into any cases. I only have a lawyer in my team and the past 4 years I have spent a major of my work negotiating contracts (outside of Russia) :)

3. That was the rather disappointing point. It was what I expected to hear. I would have preferred to get surprised