PDA

View Full Version : Medical Tests for Temp/Perm Residency

jengaspar
02-01-2008, 17:16
I'm in the process of getting all of my docs in order for my temp residency application. Does anyone have an authoritative list of the medical tests required? Is there a Russian government website with this info? I'm in St. Petersburg, where I read that the American Medical Clinic here can perform all of the necessary tests in compliance with MID and OVIR (which I find preferable to going to the City's infectious disease hospital for my tests). I'd like to get an official list of necessary tests to compare with what they offer just to be certain that I have everything covered.

Thanks for any assistance!

02-01-2008, 17:47
Be careful with non-Russian clinics that say "we can do tests you need". They can do, for sure BUT the result will probably not accepted by the Migration Service. I was told about 3 months ago that 30 people from India did tests for the temp.permit in a non accredited place, they paid a lot and that had no value at all for the FMS (In Moscow).

Ask your FMS office which places have their accreditation. In these places, you just go and say you are applying for a temporary residence permit, they KNOW what to do, no problem.

And in any case after the tests you must go to get the spravka, and this is done ONLY by the Russian health department. NO private company can do this.

_

jengaspar
02-01-2008, 18:00
Thanks Guest. I've had my HIV spravka issued and signed by the city AIDS Center but it was organized and delivered through a private clinic. I was hoping that the same would be true for the battery of medical tests as well. I'll head to my OVIR office after the long holiday to get the official info. I was hoping to find the medical test list on the FMS website, but so far no luck.

Cheers
Jen

Bels
02-01-2008, 18:10
I got my list of clinics from a noticeboard in OVIR. I used the official clinics, if you don't you run risk of your application not being accepted. These are government establishments whereas private clinics might be biased, especially British clinics who are under data protection rules. They won't negative info to anyone. It's against British law.

Proper Bostonian
03-01-2008, 09:04
I went to my Moscow region OVIR at University metro and was told I absolutely can NOT go to any clinics other than those on the list they printed for me. There are 4 different places to go to and they DO NOT make appointments. I think 3 are clinics and 1 is for the final spravka. I'm dreading the whole process as none of the clinics are conveniently located for me, despite being in the outhwest region. I would much rather pay SOS or the American Med. Ctr. the 10,000 rubles they request simply for the convenience, but I sure don't want to throw 10K away when OVIR rejects them. Apparently SOS is authorized to do the med tests for work permits, but not for temporary residency. Why the Russian gov't. would authorize them for one set of tests and not another is beyond me - typical nonsense.

I was also told I can ONLY submit a criminal history report from the FBI (U.S.), not my State, which is unfortunate since I received my State's report within 2 wks of requesting it.

For Americans: I actually received my FBI report in 3.5 wks., BUT it was rejected because the "quality of the prints was too low"! Guess the Russian girl at the embassy didn't know how a proper fingerprint should look like. I'm SO angry! I've lost 5 wks. + the expense of express mailing to the USA. I called the embassy to complain and was told by a Russian guy, "Sorry, but we're really not trained to do fingerprints"!

I've barely started assembling my documents & am already beyond frustration!

03-01-2008, 09:15
About the 4th place where you will get the spravka, you will get an appointment from the doctor you will meet. The problem is that the ticket he will give you will be for an appointment in 2 or 3 weeks...

Just do not take the ticket, go as soon as you can, talk with the guard, tell him that you cannot wait, make him a small present and he will himself bring you to the right place. You will submit your documents (results of tests in the 3 places) and should get your spravka in 2 or 3 days.

About fingerprint, you don' t need them for WP, nor now for RP.

Proper Bostonian
03-01-2008, 09:32
Guest, thanks for info about spravka - will try it when the time comes.

Not sure I understand you about fingerprints. As I informed by OVIR that you need a criminal history report and that they will only accept a report from the FBI for Americans. In order to obtain a criminal history report from the FBI you need to submit a set of fingerprints which the U.S. Embassy provides as a service (a poorly done one, as I learned).

03-01-2008, 11:05
Sorry I didn't know that you need fingerprints to get your criminal record! Now I understand :)

Bels
03-01-2008, 13:16
It's all very strange isn't it, for Brits you contact the Metropoliton police, Scotland yard to get your police check, they put you in touch with your residential office and you apply. NO FINGERPRINTS. When you receive your police check you must send it back again to England to get it legalised ????

But when your application has been approved you will be finger-printed in the OVIR office. By Russians, not Americans or Brits.

jengaspar
03-01-2008, 14:20
Hello Proper Bostonian
I'm surprised to hear that the US Embassy offers fingerprinting (albeit poor quality). I was told at the US Consulate in SPb that they do not provide that service. Fortunately, I have a friend who was in law enforcement in the US who is living here, who did the prints for me and filled out the form that I sent in to the FBI. I received the record check in about 2 weeks (6 weeks sooner than I expected). By the way, I was told by another consular officer that the FBI form is preferable to Russian authorities because it is a federal agency. The whole idea of state criminal record checks can be confusing for some here, but as he said 'everyone understands FBI'. I'm not sure why other posters have written that the FBI process is difficult . There are clear instructions on the website and they work rather fast.

Anyway, good luck in your process. I'm hoping that the process with OVIR and medical tests in St. Petersburg is a little more centralized than in Moscow.

jengaspar
09-01-2008, 22:07
I bit the bullet and headed to the Botkin Infectious Disease Hospital today for my medical tests for temporary residency. 3,805 Rubles and 3 hours later I had accomplished what I had set out to do. The Botkin Hospital has a 2-track system -- one for citizens of FSU countries and one for citizens of non-FSU countries. Turns out that the latter is preferable and faster. I do not have the full list of all of the medical tests (will post that later), but Botkin has special departments that deal only with OVIR testing which gave me a sense of relief (as relieved as one can be in an infectious disease hospital). As with anything here, it helps to know someone who knows someone in the establishment, so I got an automatic bump up in the order of patients, but aside from that and the administrative staff being nicer to me than is normally expected, I think my process was representative of what one can expect.

At Botkin:

1. All of the testing is done on the hospital campus, but in different unmarked buildings. Be prepared to ask for directions (Russian only) several times.

2. Generally testing comprised of 4 stages:

-- blood work
-- dermatology (strip to your waist to prove that you don't have leprosy)
-- pee in a cup to prove you're not on drugs
-- chest x-ray to rule out tuberculosis

3. Results and all necessary spravki are ready in two business days

I'm sorry for all of the Moscow dwellers reading this who have to take 3 work days to deal with all of the testing. I was braced for the worst, but barring incubation of an infectious disease from the experience, I have to say that it was not so bad.

Hope this information helps someone out there.

09-01-2008, 22:41
Very interesting info and process, especially as the hospital delivers the spravka!!!

jengaspar
11-01-2008, 17:16
Very interesting info and process, especially as the hospital delivers the spravka!!!

Hello Guest
I picked up my medical tests from Botkin today, and indeed, all spravki were there (HIV negative certificate etc).

I'm pleasantly surprised - especially after reading all of the horror stories of how it's such a headache to get all the documents for Moscow dwellers.

11-01-2008, 17:39
Hi,

"all spravki"? You need ONE document and only ONE that is delivered after you submit your 3 other spravki (hiv, etc). It is THIS document that is requested by the FMS. It must obligatory come from the Russian administration, NOT from a private (or even a public) clinic, even if a clinic can be the third party between the administration and you!

So I hope it is this good document you got :)

Hello Guest
I picked up my medical tests from Botkin today, and indeed, all spravki were there (HIV negative certificate etc).

I'm pleasantly surprised - especially after reading all of the horror stories of how it's such a headache to get all the documents for Moscow dwellers.

jengaspar
11-01-2008, 18:07
Hi,

"all spravki"? You need ONE document and only ONE that is delivered after you submit your 3 other spravki (hiv, etc). It is THIS document that is requested by the FMS. It must obligatory come from the Russian administration, NOT from a private (or even a public) clinic, even if a clinic can be the third party between the administration and you!

So I hope it is this good document you got :)

Indeed, this is the document I received (along with the results of all of the other tests). It is a green form listing the five major tests that I underwent, with the results listed, doctor's signatures and stamps. The document is published by the St. Petersburg Health Department and all tests according the published by the Government of the Russian Federation No. 798 and from 01.11.2002 No. 188.

I've had it checked by my lawyer (happens also to be my husband) who has assured me that this is the form that is needed by OVIR. Apparently Botkin Hospital has a special status that allows it to certify and publish this document.

I'm happy to check this off of my list of things to do.