PDA

View Full Version : How you men choose your tie???

Miracle77777
02-01-2008, 13:48
How you choose your tie? To your shirt? Or it depends of your mood?
How you distinguish good quality of tie from poor one?
Thanks for any help...

Clean32
02-01-2008, 16:08
Thanks for any help...

LOL its been a few years but

Batchler rules
All shirts are the same color, Black
All suits are the same color, Black
All T-shirts are the same color White

Jocks and socks donít matter,

Ties, will have two minim at all times, nothing from china, better to get limited or plain, that way you are not likely to turn up to a meeting and have another guy with the same tie.
Never silk, they tend to slip, Rayon with 10% cotton is best

NB always buy suits with 3 pars of pants.

SalTheReturn
02-01-2008, 17:41

Batchler rules
All T-shirts are the same color White

Jocks and socks donít matter,

Ties, will have two minim at all times, nothing from china, better to get limited or plain, that way you are not likely to turn up to a meeting and have another guy with the same tie.
Never silk, they tend to slip, Rayon with 10% cotton is best

NB always buy suits with 3 pars of pants.

and how do you run your expensive seminars? in shorts?

Clean32
02-01-2008, 18:41
and how do you run your expensive seminars? in shorts?

Read my post again, drongo, i am married now so ????

SalTheReturn
02-01-2008, 19:34
Read my post again, drongo, i am married now so ????

whats a drongo?

Miracle77777
02-01-2008, 20:33

Batchler rules
All T-shirts are the same color White]

Thanks Clean ^-*
Interesting....but what have been changed with your marriage??
Quantity of ties or their "drawings"?

[Jocks and socks don’t matter,
]

What are Jocks?

[Ties, will have two minim at all times, nothing from china, better to get limited or plain, that way you are not likely to turn up to a meeting and have another guy with the same tie.
Never silk, they tend to slip, Rayon with 10% cotton is best]

So, men prefer non-silk cravates?!
What a pity!! Just presented to my BF silk tie as New Year's gift ! lol :cry:

Bels
02-01-2008, 21:04
For Uk business don't wear a striped tie as it will look like a school boys tie, and don't wear a black tie for obvious reasons. Beware of fashion, as it changes frequenly. Sometimes a thick tie with a big knot (windsor knot), or perhaps a slim tie with a small knot.

AndreyS
02-01-2008, 21:14
For Uk business don't wear a striped tie as it will look like a school boys tie, and don't wear a black tie for obvious reasons. Beware of fashion, as it changes frequenly. Sometimes a thick tie with a big knot (windsor knot), or perhaps a slim tie with a small knot.

Great! Tell a bit more pls. I remember from the literature "white tie situation" - is it formal situation?
Why black tie is not good with white shirt? (only for funeral?)
In my book, policemen and navy staff in Britain look really nice wearing black ties and white shirts.

SalTheReturn
02-01-2008, 21:37
Thanks Clean ^-*

What are Jocks?

as a real man from the province, clean best deal is to wear a tracksuit:nut:

Bels
02-01-2008, 22:58
Great! Tell a bit more pls. I remember from the literature "white tie situation" - is it formal situation?
In my book, policemen and navy staff in Britain look really nice wearing black ties and white shirts.

You couldbe right, or hopefully they have navy blue ties? almost black. I personally would keep my black tie for funerals only, and most certainly not for a formal business meeting.

SalTheReturn
02-01-2008, 23:16
You couldbe right, or hopefully they have navy blue ties? almost black. I personally would keep my black tie for funerals only, and most certainly not for a formal business meeting.

very popular in the UK are pink shirts!!!

Bels
02-01-2008, 23:20

Not true !!! disgusting and the same as brown suits! dreadful. I didn't think you were old enough to be in the UK in the 70's

AndreyS
02-01-2008, 23:23

Maybe, among youngsters...
I am looking at the BBC male anchor right now. He is wearing a blueish shirt with a really flamboyant stripped (sorry Bels) tie.

Bels
02-01-2008, 23:25

I wasn't sure about the details of white tie, but was aware of it. Therefore I had to make a search of formal wear in UK involving a white tie.

I hope this helps: UK Black Tie Guide by Frasers Black Tie Hire (http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/spareroom/blacktie2.htm)

Bels
02-01-2008, 23:29
Maybe, among youngsters...
I am looking at the BBC male anchor right now. He is wearing a blueish shirt with a really flamboyant stripped (sorry Bels) tie.

There are exceptions with individuals, I'm going by a business book on dress code for businessmen in different countries. Most schools have striped ties as part of their uniform, and it can look strange.

AndreyS
02-01-2008, 23:34
I wasn't sure about the details of white tie, but was aware of it. Therefore I had to make a search of formal wear in UK involving a white tie.

I hope this helps: UK Black Tie Guide by Frasers Black Tie Hire (http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/spareroom/blacktie2.htm)

Thanks a lot!

The first thing I bumped into on th site is worth quoting:

If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, just what does an empty desk mean?

Bels
02-01-2008, 23:36
as a real man from the province, clean best deal is to wear a tracksuit:nut:

If you want assistance in how to to tie a tie, try this sal

The dimpler

Dimpler (http://www.dimpler.com/)

Bels
02-01-2008, 23:43
Thanks a lot!

If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, just what does an empty desk mean?

I can only guess? An empty mind :) Ask sal about this one :)
In fact very good quote, I have't known it before.

AndreyS
02-01-2008, 23:49
I can only guess? An empty mind :) Ask sal about this one :)
In fact very good quote, I have't known it before.

Oh, yes, I have just written it down to my notebook with sayings.

Clean32
03-01-2008, 02:53
Thanks Clean ^-*

I donít get to choose so much now days, and as a guy thatís not a bad thing, Hate shopping. My wife and I lived and worked before coming back to Russia in western countrys so she is up to speed on what is expected for me to wear, she is also a wear on how to dress in the west to look not so Russian or should I say more professional over pretty.

What are Jocks?

Underpants

Silk is not so practical for day to day working, thay look Ratty quick, the knot slips, and thay wrinkle easy.

Cravate is not a tie its is a cravate

Clean32
03-01-2008, 04:07
Thanks a lot!

Firstly
Cluttered means disorganized or messy.

Empty? I think you mean Clear desk, and empty desk would mean that no one works there, IE all desks in a shop for desks would be empty. Clear would mean there is no work on the desk.

A cluttered messy disorganized indicates a messy employee. An employee that is usually busy but is not efficient, usually late on deadlines and is prone to making errors.

The opposite would be, not a clear or empty desk, but an organized desk. This would indicate a disciplined organized and efficient employee.

Here is an other one for you. Give a busy person the job and it will get done.

dick
03-01-2008, 04:34
Oh, yes, I have just written it down to my notebook with sayings.

Here's one for you,

Give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone. Do you blame the monkey?

Could be said about reds and greens.

Miracle77777
03-01-2008, 13:28

What is a windsor knot?? Smth special?

Miracle77777
03-01-2008, 13:29
And is it true that if your shirt is striped - your tie should be not? (lack of taste...):lovepot:??

Bels
03-01-2008, 13:45
A large double knot that inspires confidence. Also useful for thin ties or wide collar shirts. I was taught to tie this as a kid. You're a man if you can tie a windsor knot :) As my Father said :)

Tie-a-Tie.net | Windsor Knot (http://www.tie-a-tie.net/windsor.html)

Bels
03-01-2008, 13:48
And is it true that if your shirt is striped - your tie should be not? (lack of taste...):lovepot:??

Yes dress sense not only on ties. Stripes and patterns with plain.For interior design: A patterned three piece suite with a plain carpet for example. Same for clothes.

Miracle77777
03-01-2008, 22:01
A large double knot that inspires confidence. Also useful for thin ties or wide collar shirts. I was taught to tie this as a kid. You're a man if you can tie a windsor knot :) As my Father said :)

Tie-a-Tie.net | Windsor Knot (http://www.tie-a-tie.net/windsor.html)

Thanks a lot....learned there a lot of useful info on future ^-*
By the way found there a little advice which might be helpful to someone:
A very common mistake a beginner makes when learning how to tie a tie is that once you get that first knot done right, you would never even think about untying your tie at the end of the day. Instead, you would probably prefer to make the loop just big enough to pull your head out and hang the tied tie on a clothes hanger or over the back of a chair.
Unfortunately, that is the most damaging thing you could ever do to your tie. What you would rather want to do is to properly untie your tie.:DRegards...

Clean32
03-01-2008, 22:57
To ware a tie correctly is quite important, I often see in Russia, the top button of a shirt undone, the tie lose, or not tied correctly. Although at times fashion has said that this is ok, there are actually very few people who can get away with it.
Striped shirts, NEVER
Plain, White or light blue, in my case I can get away with black, but it must be broken up with a correct tie, again not all can get away with this.

Suites Black with fine pin striping ( dead me donít wear plaid) Dark gray or dark blue. NEVER Light gray or brown.

for some one just starting out or some one who has no need to wear a suite daily I would sagest a blue blazer black trousers white shirt, with a bark blue possibly lightly striped tie.

Always black lace up shoes (no exceptions) Black

Jewelry, wedding band and one signet ring Max, may be a tie pin but then that must be a clip and correct width for the tie, no chains or stud types

Usually the right had has no rings, because this is the hand you shake hands with and work with. Although that will not work so well in Russia!

Same rules for women, Gold during the day, silver at night.

Oh and always dress to the right.

Miracle77777
03-01-2008, 23:23
To ware a tie correctly is quite important, I often see in Russia, the top button of a shirt undone, the tie lose, or not tied correctly. Although at times fashion has said that this is ok, there are actually very few people who can get away with it.
Striped shirts, NEVER
Plain, White or light blue, in my case I can get away with black, but it must be broken up with a correct tie, again not all can get away with this.
Suites Black with fine pin striping ( dead me donít wear plaid) Dark gray or dark blue. NEVER Light gray or brown.
Always black lace up shoes (no exceptions) Black
Jewelry, wedding band and one signet ring Max, may be a tie pin but then that must be a clip and correct width for the tie, no chains or stud types]

:agree:
Very stylish Man
:lovepot:
Respect.. ^-*

[Usually the right had has no rings, because this is the hand you shake hands with and work with. Although that will not work so well in Russia!

Same rules for women, Gold during the day, silver at night.

Oh and always dress to the right.

To the right or to the night? ;)

Bels
04-01-2008, 13:32
Yes black lace-up and no pionted toes. (winkle-pickers)

Marina-ballerina
22-02-2008, 18:24
This is a brilliant thread... but what it clearly shows is that one should not ask a British teacher for what to wear. With all respect to British teachers... trust me guys, I have spent a few years in academia and lost all hopes to see anything but the M&S machine washable trousers and a stretch jumper.

The professionals in Britain are now very style conscious and often style confused. However, not one respectable man would ever wear a cotton tie, or such a Mafiosi combination as "black shirt and white tie".

Yes, pink and purple shirts are very popular in England now, coupled with pink and fuchsia ties. Trust me, it seems that there is no man in Britain who does not have a pink shirt. Please tell me what is so specifically wrong with a pink shirt or tie? Unless the one who is wearing it is a Redhead... pink is quite nice for the pale complexion.

I think that one of the most popular brands in England is Paul Smith now. Also, Hugo Boss is brilliant. Both have a few pink shirts in their collections.

No, I have not seen pointy-toed shoes on men here... Though the bespoke shoes that are worn in Britain aren't adopted for the Russian climate. I don't think the 100% leather soles will last one day...

Anyway, if you, girls, are choosing ties for your British b/f, I can give you some tips as I dressed up my fussy husband for many years now.

Firstly, you've got to look at all his wardrobe and consider his profession.

Striped ties may look a bit scholarly, however, some types of striped ties are extremely popular, especially with lawyers... who often go style confused and wear everything pinstriped.

So, the first thing to think about is... whether he wears pin stripped suits. If he does, try to get him a nice, silk, plain tie. If most of his suits are one colour - grey, black, blue, etc... then you can get him a patterned tie, but just stay away from those which are novelty, or those which have some girly pattern such as flowers, or those that are too bright and multicoloured. The best tie to get I have found is blue with small white spots. Goes with everything...However, ties are different and certain width and length of a tie might not be suitable for the kind of collar of the shirts your b/f wears.

Some older and less fashionable types still wear those horrible collars with buttons on the front. If you are dating one of those types, don't get him a wide tie, as it will be extremely uncomfortable at the back of the neck...

The collars, which are worn, now are: Windsor, Prince of Wales, and Duke of York. The former is more cut out and the latter is more pointed. Depending on the collar type, there will be an appropriate knot... if you wish to know what they are, just type the names above in YouTube, you'd get a video...

As a general idea, the more cut out the collar, the wider the tie you'd need.

If you, at this point, decided to get him a shirt and a tie... trust me there are some issues there, too.

You then must look not only at his collar size but at whether he likes double cuffed shirts or not. Those that require cufflinks. If he does, consider whether he is tall, as then it is possible that you would need to purchase a shirt with extra-long sleeves. Otherwise, he will hate it, as the sleeves will be hidden under his jacket's cuffs.

So, good luck anyway…

Andy B
23-02-2008, 07:24
Good thread!

Personally I ONLY wear silk ties. They need to be dry cleaned regularly to keep them fresh and if they are beyond hope they go in the bin... there is nothing worse than a dull or (heaven forbid!) stained tie!

I love pink (and lilac) and have a stack of pink shirts and ties (some plain some striped with a contrasting black or dark blue diagonal stripes).

Knot... I only wear a Windsor knot (after years in the RAF it is natural instinct now), suit and shirt pressed daily and (black) shoes clean and polished each morning (my "prepare myself for the day" routine is to sit on my balcony with a coffee and polish my shoes).

Slighly off topic but I only own double-cuffed shirts (i.e. that require cuff links).

Living in Asia is great for getting everything tailored. All my suits, shirts and even (work) shoes are bespoke. Only my ties are "off the shelf" (in an effort to put the thread back in topic).

MissAnnElk
23-02-2008, 11:51
I usually like what Esquire magazine says about how men should buy clothes and dress . . . here's an example (http://www.esquire.com/style/fashion-story/office200907).

Never knew about the striped tie thing . . . doesn't translate "across the pond."

Marina-ballerina
23-02-2008, 12:22
I usually like what Esquire magazine says about how men should buy clothes and dress . . . here's an example (http://www.esquire.com/style/fashion-story/office200907).

Never knew about the striped tie thing . . . doesn't translate "across the pond."

Andy, you sound as you definitely know what you are talking about. Suits from Dubai would be my next step. And I agree that there is no point in buying a designer tie, as no one is likely to dry clean one anyway.

Anne, brilliant link... but it is considered here that mixing the jacket with trousers from a different set is a no-no... unless it is for a week-end... but in the article it seems quite nice :).

blueblue
24-02-2008, 03:47
Only silk, Italian ties for me. Conservative and classy. Easy. To go with my Zegna suits.

Miracle77777
24-02-2008, 20:07
Thanks to everyone who keep giving advices and useful info about such important item of male's dress......:mml: :mml: :mml:

I learned a lot of stuff...and now could amaze my BF...or make him suspicious...;)

Now I have a question about cuff-links and pins....
Should it be plain?? silver?? Gold??? With diamonds or emeralds???
Is it individual and not to be given as present??
Thanks in advance....

MissAnnElk
24-02-2008, 20:14
Anne, brilliant link... but it is considered here that mixing the jacket with trousers from a different set is a no-no... unless it is for a week-end... but in the article it seems quite nice :).

Well, you gotta go with what the locals do . . .

will123
25-02-2008, 13:23
The Windsor knot is wide and triangular, designed for wide spread shirt collars. It is not a good knot to use with ties of thick material, but, when well executed, is stately and elegant.
I generally prefer wearing a Windsor Knot since I learned how to tie my tie.
Windsor Knot (http://www.2tieatie.com/windsor-knot.html) has a different outlook however over my other favorite knots like Pratt Knot and Hanover Knot.

Tie Knots (http://www.2tieatie.com)

Gypsy
25-02-2008, 14:03
Good thread!

Personally I ONLY wear silk ties. They need to be dry cleaned regularly to keep them fresh and if they are beyond hope they go in the bin... there is nothing worse than a dull or (heaven forbid!) stained tie!

I love pink (and lilac) and have a stack of pink shirts and ties (some plain some striped with a contrasting black or dark blue diagonal stripes).

Knot... I only wear a Windsor knot (after years in the RAF it is natural instinct now), suit and shirt pressed daily and (black) shoes clean and polished each morning (my "prepare myself for the day" routine is to sit on my balcony with a coffee and polish my shoes).

Slighly off topic but I only own double-cuffed shirts (i.e. that require cuff links).

Living in Asia is great for getting everything tailored. All my suits, shirts and even (work) shoes are bespoke. Only my ties are "off the shelf" (in an effort to put the thread back in topic).

Andy - spot on.

Only double cuff shirts with nice understated cuff links, no jokey ones - go to Cafe Coton near Hemis their shirts are excellent and good value, - and pink is OK. If you don't feel man enough to wear pink then well........best leave that there I think.

Socks should match the colour of trousers, pointy shoes are a HUGE faux pas

And ties? Must be silk.Only one knot - a windsor. Designs? A personality thing I think - I just buy what I like, they tend to be bright, colourful - I love paisley designs, bought a sensational pink one in Varna but left it in France.

Abe
25-02-2008, 14:43
Thanks to everyone who keep giving advices and useful info about such important item of male's dress......:mml: :mml: :mml:

I learned a lot of stuff...and now could amaze my BF...or make him suspicious...;)

Now I have a question about cuff-links and pins....
Should it be plain?? silver?? Gold??? With diamonds or emeralds???
Is it individual and not to be given as present??
Thanks in advance....

I always go for plain, and certainly no gold or stones on the tie clasp, though a small stone on the cuff links is ok. (And I always buy my own...those received as presents invariably are not "right"). As to my clothes, much like Andy B, blue, white and pink shirts with double cuffs, mainly plain but a few with small hardly noticeable designs, ties, Italian, silk, in red or blue, suits black or dark grey (have one dark blue), some with pin stripes (not wide...narrow ones), shoes black not pointed.

It's the conservative but not stuffed shirt look as my partner calls it. Indispensable for business I think.

Does anyone remember those weird ties in the 90s? the ones with the smurfs, or elephants, in bright gaudy colours? Used to make me sick.

There again, outside of work I'm usually to be found wearing a rugby top and very faded denim jeans (the scruffier the better).

Miracle77777
26-02-2008, 00:49
I always go for plain, and certainly no gold or stones on the tie clasp, though a small stone on the cuff links is ok. (And I always buy my own...those received as presents invariably are not "right"). ).

I feel it too...So...this stuff is not good for gift...:groan:...

Does anyone remember those weird ties in the 90s? the ones with the smurfs, or elephants, in bright gaudy colours? Used to make me sick.

There again, outside of work I'm usually to be found wearing a rugby top and very faded denim jeans (the scruffier the better).

To be honest - I still could see those funny ties....they are popular..not on work, of course...but in non-official situation....
More often - bright gaudy colours.....sometimes quotes....or crosses.....or even flowers...:yikes:
Anyway - they make me sick too.....its like feathered-boa, over Girl's dress....

Miracle77777
26-02-2008, 00:55
And ties? Must be silk.Only one knot - a windsor. Designs? A personality thing I think - I just buy what I like, they tend to be bright, colourful - I love paisley designs, bought a sensational pink one in Varna but left it in France.

Thanks, Gypsy.....And please - clear for me - what is the good and reasonable price for decent tie????
I do not mean a thing haute couture....But a good one....
For example - recently presented to my Bf one silk cravate....in box....about 50 euro.....is it too cheap?????

Gypsy
26-02-2008, 09:23
Thanks, Gypsy.....And please - clear for me - what is the good and reasonable price for decent tie????
For example - recently presented to my Bf one silk cravate....in box....about 50 euro.....is it too cheap?????

No-sounds about right. I'dhave to really love the design to pay a lot more.

Anyway, from your b/f perspective the price won't matter if you chose it with care and with him in mind. If so he'll love it.

waves
26-02-2008, 12:22
Sal.....a drongo is Australian slang for a loser or idiot.

tonihax
27-02-2008, 23:35

50 EUR? depends where you bought it. If was in Moscow, maybe its not enought to be a good one. And of course depends how much cost the ties your BF has. If he is used to that price range thats fine.
Top ties in reasonable countries (definitely not in Moscow) usually will cost 80+ EUR.

And about cuffs, mother-of-pearl is cheap and cool

bTeam13
22-01-2009, 04:11
You're asking a bunch of losers who wear sweats to work (if they have a job), how to choose a tie? You'd get better answers in a hockey locker room, at least we all know what jocks and garters are!

free
19-04-2009, 13:23
-

free
19-04-2009, 13:29
Thanks for any help...

I am from the italian capital of ties and silk...

In Italy a suit should be dark - dark blue or black - and the shirts very light , white or light blue. All the other colors (brown, violet...) arent for us.

Then you have to think about the tie...they MUST be silk, unless it is winter and you have a very havy wool suit then a nice wool tie could suit.
If the suit is pinstriped the tie MUST be unicolor, without any strip, point or other fantasie. If the suit is "plain", without strips, you can be brave with your tie, and use a colorful one. I do like e.g. red ties.
I think 50 euro is too much if your arent D&G or Missoni! Even Armani ties are chiper. Of course I am speaking about ties for all the days, cerimony ties are another matter.
Please mind that if you have a dark suit, a blue shirt and you chose a blue or black tie, people in the train will show you the tikets :):)

Qdos
19-04-2009, 15:03
Old thread, but then... I have some old ties too, and
this is my 'pulling' tie... :D

http://i40.tinypic.com/a08c9g.jpg

MickeyTong
19-04-2009, 15:06
Dressed like that, the only thing you'll pull is your own todger.

Qdos
19-04-2009, 16:10
It's not every man that can really tie a knot in it... ;)

Zyablik
19-04-2009, 19:41
I am from the italian capital of ties and silk...

In Italy a suit should be dark - dark blue or black - and the shirts very light , white or light blue. All the other colors (brown, violet...) arent for us.

Then you have to think about the tie...they MUST be silk, unless it is winter and you have a very havy wool suit then a nice wool tie could suit.
If the suit is pinstriped the tie MUST be unicolor, without any strip, point or other fantasie. If the suit is "plain", without strips, you can be brave with your tie, and use a colorful one. I do like e.g. red ties.
I think 50 euro is too much if your arent D&G or Missoni! Even Armani ties are chiper. Of course I am speaking about ties for all the days, cerimony ties are another matter.
Please mind that if you have a dark suit, a blue shirt and you chose a blue or black tie, people in the train will show you the tikets :):)

Hello free! As I see you are modern and stylish person! :rasta:
I was last year in Italy and I must say that a lot of men prefer PINK shirts. A lot! And I like it, it was pretty!
As for women: Bright style, silver and gold clother elements were very popular! Italian style I can say!
What's the "top" of this season? :gorgeous::verycool:

free
20-04-2009, 12:58
Hello free! As I see you are modern and stylish person! :rasta:
I was last year in Italy and I must say that a lot of men prefer PINK shirts. A lot! And I like it, it was pretty!
As for women: Bright style, silver and gold clother elements were very popular! Italian style I can say!
What's the "top" of this season? :gorgeous::verycool:

Thanks, too kind! Top of this season? I do not know... I suggest you to use the miniskirt, anyhow:):)

Delenn
13-05-2009, 21:24
guys, what a cool thread!

normally you can choose the colors you like for ties, shirts and suits - there are just some rules how to combine colors and ornament and what to wear for certain occasion....
so if you like pink - why not...
there is also fashion for business looks - italians know it well :)

so take some fashion magazines, follow the latest trends, but do not forget about your peculiarities (body, complexion, etc.) - and you will always look great :)

Jack17
13-05-2009, 21:51
Thanks for any help...

Miracle, the answer to your last question is - money!

Maybe the best example of male dress today is HRH, Prince Charles - always impeccable! His great uncle David would've been proud.

As to your first question, color is probably most important. So, if you're asking because you want to buy a gift for a man, consider the color and style of the suits he wears and let that be your guide. The other thing I've noticed is that styles very by country: wide is in in Moscow, thin in LA; stripes are popular in the US, but not the UK, etc.

All that said, it really depends on how much you want to spend. If you have maybe 7000 rbl to spend, I'd go to Hermes, KITON, or Versace on Stoleshnikov and ask the clerk to help you pick out something simple that will go with most any suit. Another alternative would be to check online; the prices would be at least half of store prices. BTW, virtually all quality ties are made from 100% Italian silk.

Swordfish90293
13-05-2009, 23:05
Ties should be silk and contain colors complimentary to the rest of the gitup or the victim's eyes, hair, complexion...I like Ferragamo or Hermes as they contain patterns of animals or situations whose colors vary without interrupting the basic color of the tie. I just bought one with a series of bears carrying swordfishes, surfboards, martini glasses and lollipops. Very small characters in gold, a touch of red and pale green on a navy blue base so it can go with alot of different combinations. I also have a favorite Hermes with red and silver horses on a blue base. They're also great conversation pieces (girls get close to check them out and they get alot of giggles...).

Also blue is safe as it's a high frequency, feminine color, and a power color, indicates control. Red goes well with a blue suit but can be tricky. Gold pattern is a good bet with a white shirt and blue or black suit.

But a thin black tie with a black suit is gansta holm ala Tarentino...

chrismcgee
14-08-2009, 14:17
I definitely prefer the mandarin collar, no tie option. A nice button cover looks as good or better, and you don't need to worry about all the rules.

AstroNoodle
20-10-2009, 09:06
I only wear nice ties. You can get everything else on sale, but don't hold out on the ties -- get nice ones that stand out. Also very important -- the thicker the tie, the better the knot, which is half the battle.

Barack Obama has a lot of Donald Trump ties from Macy's -- I know because I got some on sale hahaha and see him wearing my ties on the news regularly. The Trump brand has definitely been oversold, so don't be surprised if someone else is wearing your tie.

If you really want to get a good tie you have to go to a premium retailer and get a tie that costs $50 or more and probably won't be on sale. You need at least two or three of these ties to go with your dark suits to make sure that nobody has seen or ever will see your tie somewhere else.

In other words, it is ok to have the Obama/Trump ties but go ahead and spend a little money to have something nice in your arsenal.

NO PICTURE TIES EVER -- does not matter what the picture is -- unless you want to wear Mickey Mouse to a civil trial at a lower court to make a subliminal statement (had a friend do that once).

I do not like thin (I mean material front to back -- all my ties are the standard cut) ties unless they are a really nice material and design. Thick ties make better knots and make you look a lot more professional.

AND NO BUTTONS ON THE COLLAR OF YOUR SHIRT. That makes it look like if the buttons come off your collar that everything is going to fall apart. Get a shirt without buttons on the collar and preferably with a french cuff -- use conservative gold/silver cuff-links -- there are a lot of weird looking cuff-links out there.

Good ties and cuff-links are important. I try not to compromise here.

Anyway, hope I helped.

brucom
16-01-2010, 05:26
I prefer business casual.